Club must save £4 million

276 posts
SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Club must save £4 million

by SpaceCruiser » 30 Apr 2010 14:38

Sun Tzu Because you can't have games without stewards

Could we have a couple of police instead?

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 30 Apr 2010 15:19

SpaceCruiser
Sun Tzu Because you can't have games without stewards

Could we have a couple of police instead?

No

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 30 Apr 2010 16:18

Who said the stewards wouldn't be paid? Gordon was talking about their "perks" was he not?

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 30 Apr 2010 16:35

Royal Lady Who said the stewards wouldn't be paid? Gordon was talking about their "perks" was he not?

No, he was talking about refreshments and car parking.

No one said they wouldn't be paid.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 30 Apr 2010 17:01

I did............anyway it's the silly short sighted, tight fisted attitude of Reading FC I was really aiming at.
:roll:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 30 Apr 2010 17:12

the short sighted and tight fisted way we go about trying not to lose money and bankrupt ourselves?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 30 Apr 2010 18:05

Sun Tzu
Royal Lady Who said the stewards wouldn't be paid? Gordon was talking about their "perks" was he not?

Why wouldn't there be any stewards then and no games played? Are you saying they would refuse to turn up, despite being paid, because they wouldn't get their perks?!

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 30 Apr 2010 18:10

Dirk Gently From what I've heard, the £6M is what's needed to pay the bills until the end of the season.

A whole lot more will be needed next season and onwards, unless they fail to go up - in which case expect the likes of Chopra, Ledley etc to leave - unless this Malaysian has *very* deep pockets!

I thought their problems were down to Sam Hamman trying to destroy the club?

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 30 Apr 2010 20:34

Royal Lady
Sun Tzu

Why wouldn't there be any stewards then and no games played? Are you saying they would refuse to turn up, despite being paid, because they wouldn't get their perks?!

No. I didn't say anything about 'refusing to turn up'.

Stewards work from season to season. If when the club are asking people if they are coming back next year they say 'same money, but you've got to pay to park and buy your own food' I strongly suspect they would struggle to get enough properly trained and experienced people to come back. The money isn't huge and if you suddenly find a tenner of what you earn for a shift is eaten up by paying to park, buying food and a drink then you're going to wonder whether it's worth it. If the club can't put out enough stewards then the games don't happen.

I understand where GC is coming from, just suspect it would have rather major implications whilst actually saving next to nothing (it doesn't cost the club anything to put staff cars up behind the Dome apart from the theoretical loss of revenue if they could sell the spaces to someone else)

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 30 Apr 2010 23:42

I did have my tongue firmly in my cheeks BTW.

HTH

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 May 2010 16:23

rhroyal A lot of people seem to be forgetting the £12million overdraft recalled. That's a lot of money.

Could always go and get another one!

Banks like lending money to very well run businesses and we repeatedly have been told that Reading FC is an extremely well run business!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 01 May 2010 17:21

RoyalBlue
rhroyal A lot of people seem to be forgetting the £12million overdraft recalled. That's a lot of money.

Banks like lending money to very well run businesses and we repeatedly have been told that Reading FC is an extremely well run business!

The 95% of football clubs which are not extremely well run businesses mean that the whole of the football sector is tarnished as a bad risk.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 01 May 2010 17:35

Gordons Cumming I did have my tongue firmly in my cheeks BTW.

HTH

hard to tell on here :lol:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 01 May 2010 18:27

Dirk Gently
RoyalBlue

The 95% of football clubs which are not extremely well run businesses mean that the whole of the football sector is tarnished as a bad risk.

Is that really so?

Or maybe the interest rates go up to compensate for greater perceived risk?

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 01 May 2010 21:14

Which is fine if the chance of recouping the monies owed is not that great a risk! The regulation of money pumped into an already failing club (financially) needs more transparency.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 May 2010 23:35

Yeah right we're 4million pounds behind despite all the money coming in and spending nothing...

BS

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 01 May 2010 23:42

Who said that was the case anyhow.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 02 May 2010 14:44

royalexile Which is fine if the chance of recouping the monies owed is not that great a risk! The regulation of money pumped into an already failing club (financially) needs more transparency.

But we can't possibly be a financially failing club. We are much too well run for that. The likes of Howe have spent years repeatedly telling us what a great job they are doing on the business side of things.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 02 May 2010 15:55

RoyalBlue
royalexile Which is fine if the chance of recouping the monies owed is not that great a risk! The regulation of money pumped into an already failing club (financially) needs more transparency.

But we can't possibly be a financially failing club. We are much too well run for that. The likes of Howe have spent years repeatedly telling us what a great job they are doing on the business side of things.

Yes, they are, and they have been.

We're financially secure, and have survived a relegation without financial meltdown (unlike Southampton, Ipswich, Norwich, Bradford and so many others).

It's impossible to make money at this level, the aim has been to be financially secure and to gain stability, and that has been achieved - by making the cuts when needed a year ago (not starting to think about them once the parachute money has all gone), and being able to make cuts (i.e. having contracts with flexibility to change - and in fact knowing exactly what the contract terms are, unlike some clubs!)

You seem to equate "being well run" with making a profit, which is impossible. In the situation we were in, "being well run" actually equals being able to survive.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 02 May 2010 16:56

Dirk Gently
RoyalBlue

Yes, they are, and they have been.

We're financially secure, and have survived a relegation without financial meltdown (unlike Southampton, Ipswich, Norwich, Bradford and so many others).

It's impossible to make money at this level, the aim has been to be financially secure and to gain stability, and that has been achieved - by making the cuts when needed a year ago (not starting to think about them once the parachute money has all gone), and being able to make cuts (i.e. having contracts with flexibility to change - and in fact knowing exactly what the contract terms are, unlike some clubs!)

You seem to equate "being well run" with making a profit, which is impossible. In the situation we were in, "being well run" actually equals being able to survive.

All spot on and correct of course. But, at the same time, does a little bit of you wonder like I do, about what is the point of it all? Where is the "sport" in all of this?
I wish I could fast fast forward and see how things change in the years ahead to see if it makes me feel any better.

276 posts