Dear Mr Chairman

270 posts
OldBiscuit

Re: Dear Mr Chairman

by OldBiscuit » 08 Sep 2010 23:29

nev monkey Please back the club properly or sell up & oxf*rd off.
MONG !

LoyalRoyal22 +1
MONG !

roadrunner Have to say I agree with all of that.
MONG !

under the tine So do I
MONG !

^^^ Mental problems ^^^[/quote] AGREED !

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 09 Sep 2010 09:54

under the tin
Harpers So Solid Crew Nah there are only a few clubs that really applies to, Notts Co must have been one!! Birmingham are def not, yet they found a new owner.

.... an average of 32k that year, http://www.european-football-statistics ... b/birc.htm big club that never won the FA Cup or league title of the senior division, basically one league cup and a few monor trophies, much like the Simod Cup. Unlike A Villa who have real history.
PS it was 70/71. 100 years and we got relegated to the bottom tier for the first time ever, and Birmingham C were in division two. so tbh your post is totally wrong.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: That's what you get when you rely on memory when you are at my age.
I'll take it on the chin.
Although the numbers are wrong, the same general point I was trying to make,IMHO, is still relevant.
If you were to suggest to the board at RFc that we could ever average 32k, I bet they would retire to the executive washrooms, and have a collective "ham shank".
Since 1947, I note that BCFC appear to have been a top flight club for 28 odd more years than we have.
You may not regard them as a big club, and perhaps nor do I: but crucially, messrs Sullivan, Gold, and now Mr. Yeung thought they were a better, bigger vehicle upon which to enhance their personal reputations on.[/quote]

I would say that RFC do have the potential to get 32k average crowds, as did the club when they proposed the extension. But to buy RFC and then have to fund the extension is a bigger gamble than buying a club with a ground already big enough.

PS didnt we have a lot more ST holders than Brum last season, seem to recall they only had about 7k total, which always struck me as being low.

nev monkey

by nev monkey » 09 Sep 2010 15:37

OldBiscuit

Mong!!!!!

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 09 Sep 2010 21:08

ALOL

Who is he applauding here? Himself, presumably.

SeLOLf sustainabiLOLity - until the next transfer window opens and some more players depart, of course.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 09 Sep 2010 21:27

As someone who has defended JM, for the love of God, tell me that's someone playing round with photoshop.....

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 09 Sep 2010 21:28

I think Alex as player of the month indicates photoshop........

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 09 Sep 2010 21:59

floyd__streete SeLOLf sustainabiLOLity - until the next transfer window opens and some more players depart, of course.

Selling players that you have developed in your academy for a large sum of money is part of self sustainability.

I didn't have you down as someone who can't see that.

under the tin

by under the tin » 09 Sep 2010 22:25

Wycombe Royal
floyd__streete SeLOLf sustainabiLOLity - until the next transfer window opens and some more players depart, of course.

Selling players that you have developed in your academy for a large sum of money is part of self sustainability.

Kebe, McAnuff, Long, Federici, are not products of the academy, they are high earners who will be sacrificed on the high altar of self sufficiency.
Wait and see.
I'll bet Jm wishes there was a Jerry and Margot next door to help him out.

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 09 Sep 2010 22:46

Wycombe Royal

The problem is that with wages out of control as they are, sustainability comes at a cost. Whether things will even themselves out over the next few, I don't know.

City signed Danny Rose today, paying a lot in both wages and loan fees. That's on top of all their other spending. There will always be clubs and Chairman at this level who are prepared to throw money around. Hard to see wages coming down while that is the case.

The academy is our silver bullet and it should not be under estimated what Dolan and Hammond have achieved over the last 5 yrs. The key for us is the likes of Taylor to be able to make the impact the Sig, Jem, Pearce and Church etc have been able to.

under the tin

by under the tin » 09 Sep 2010 23:01

Wycombe Royal

The problem is that with wages out of control as they are, sustainability comes at a cost. Whether things will even themselves out over the next few, I don't know.

City signed Danny Rose today, paying a lot in both wages and loan fees. That's on top of all their other spending. There will always be clubs and Chairman at this level who are prepared to throw money around. Hard to see wages coming down while that is the case.

The academy is our silver bullet and it should not be under estimated what Dolan and Hammond have achieved over the last 5 yrs. The key for us is the likes of Taylor to be able to make the impact the Sig, Jem, Pearce and Church etc have been able to.

If you can compare the impact of the Sig to those, I suspect you are in for a disappointment. Gylfi was the best reading player Ive seen in 40- odd years. The probability is that we will have to sell our box office players to make ends meet. That's bye bye Kebe, Mc Anuff, and Federici.
Batten down the hatches, self sufficiency will ultimately come at the cost of our league status. Enjoy the ride.

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 09 Sep 2010 23:05

Even excluding Sig, the output from our academy in recent years has been outstanding.

It will be an achievement to continue that.

under the tin

by under the tin » 09 Sep 2010 23:14

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Even excluding Sig, the output from our academy in recent years has been outstanding.

But if we keep selling them to other sides, to the detriment of our own, in order to balance the books, then we will end up where we ultimately deserve to be.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 09 Sep 2010 23:45

under the tin If you can compare the impact of the Sig to those, I suspect you are in for a disappointment. Gylfi was the best reading player Ive seen in 40- odd years. The probability is that we will have to sell our box office players to make ends meet. That's bye bye Kebe, Mc Anuff, and Federici.
Batten down the hatches, self sufficiency will ultimately come at the cost of our league status. Enjoy the ride.

...whereas every other club of our stature has no problem at all hanging on to highly talented young players.

Why of why oh why is it only Reading in the entire league that ever has these problems?

We have the worst fans in the league, the worst stewards, the most soulless stadium, which has the worst parking, and the worst food and beer, and we now have the worst chairman and the worst financially policy, and probably the worst manager if we start losing now.

If only we had enough crosses we could nail ourselves to one each, to show what a strain it is to support such a terrible club.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 09 Sep 2010 23:47

under the tin
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Even excluding Sig, the output from our academy in recent years has been outstanding.

But if we keep selling them to other sides, to the detriment of our own, in order to balance the books, then we will end up where we ultimately deserve to be.

Yep, in business.

Are you seriously suggesting we don't bother balancing the books? Is that how you run/would run your family's household?
:|

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 09 Sep 2010 23:47

under the tin

whereas if we don't balance the books, and run up losses of a couple of a million a year or so, everything will be fine and dandy.

Thankgodisfriday

by Thankgodisfriday » 09 Sep 2010 23:51

Its been mentioned in previous posts that all clubs from the Premier League downwards sell players,its always a gamble but decisions are made for right and for wrong,hindsight is an exact science.At this moment with little investment into the club from our benefactor I believe that the only way to make a better team is to sell to fund.Gylfi on his own would never have got us into the premiership...whereas investment in new players/prospects may well push us on.If we hadnt sold Gylfi then no new blood.. and that really is dangerous

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 10 Sep 2010 02:23

under the tin If you can compare the impact of the Sig to those, I suspect you are in for a disappointment. Gylfi was the best reading player Ive seen in 40- odd years. The probability is that we will have to sell our box office players to make ends meet. That's bye bye Kebe, Mc Anuff, and Federici.

...whereas every other club of our stature has no problem at all hanging on to highly talented young players.

Why of why oh why is it only Reading in the entire league that ever has these problems?

We have the worst fans in the league, the worst stewards, the most soulless stadium, which has the worst parking, and the worst food and beer, and we now have the worst chairman and the worst financially policy, and probably the worst manager if we start losing now.

If only we had enough crosses we could nail ourselves to one each, to show what a strain it is to support such a terrible club.

+1

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 10 Sep 2010 08:13

I kind of want us to sell players more often, we seem to be in a habit of paying decent money, but eventually letting them go for free too often. Rasiak for example. Fortunately in the last few seasons we have had a good few that we paid little money for, and sold for a lot.

Halifax 4-1

by Halifax 4-1 » 10 Sep 2010 09:06

under the tin

Or, if we keep spending beyond our means and failing (cash does not guarantee success) then we will end up where we ultimately deserve to be in administration, or worse liquidation.

under the tin

by under the tin » 10 Sep 2010 09:25

Rev Algenon Stickleback H whereas if we don't balance the books, and run up losses of a couple of a million a year or so, everything will be fine and dandy.

That's based on the supposition that the club is able to break even.
I have my doubts as to the achievability of that aim.
If the only way to plug the gap is to sell off the silver, then I would suggest that would be to the general denigration of the playing strength.
(Of course, there are exceptions, how much did we mug off Norwich for Andy Hughes? :P )
I happen to believe that this sort of policy presents a clear and present danger to the club's ability to compete at ths level.
It's perfectly relevant to make the comparison with the household budget.
Yes, I understand that outgoings need to be kept under control, but equally, income needs to be sustained, or the debts will mount anyway.
Were we to to get relegated, because our playing strength was not competitive at this level, that will undoubtedly have an effect on the club's income, and our could still be facing your "couple of million a year" losses in a few years time, but at a lower level. Same nett result.

270 posts