Danny Guthrie - Refusing To Travel

464 posts
cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Danny Guthrie - Refusing To Travel

by cmonurz » 12 Dec 2012 11:07

melonhead he started more than two games you divot

You said he was making us worse. He was good against Stoke, and arguably MotM at Chelsea. Therefore I assumed your opinion was based on his only other league starts (two).

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Dec 2012 11:08

cmonurz 2 starts.

2 starts. Then frozen out.

Fair my arse.

not really sure what fairs got to do with it. :|
he played badly, and was dropped. even if hed played brilliantly and wed still lost and the manager decided to try something else, you live with it, and work harder,wait for your chance and make it impossible for him to ever drop you again.

sticking up for him on this is utterly pathetic imo

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Dec 2012 11:09

cmonurz
melonhead he started more than two games you divot

You said he was making us worse. He was good against Stoke, and arguably MotM at Chelsea. Therefore I assumed your opinion was based on his only other league starts (two).

he played badly in those two games.and was dropped
up to the manager.
and tbf, hed hardly played like maradonna in the other two

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 12 Dec 2012 11:11

So my point stands. Two million, two games.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 12 Dec 2012 11:12

You stick up for the club every time Bendy. :roll:

I'll always think of McD as I do Coppell - a miracle worker and a bloody good bloke too - but he's lost it now - and there's no going back. He's out of his depth, he needs help, as I've said over the last few weeks and he needs to play the BEST 11 players he has - whether he particularly likes them much or not. In fact, if they play shit, then he can tell them they're shit - but if they actually contribute to a few points for us - far better to have played them and look the big man isn't it? What has he got to lose?

He has everything to lose, including his job and the good wishes of a lot of fans, if he persists in playing his favourites and freezing out anyone who dares to have an opinion.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 12 Dec 2012 11:19

I really don't remember Guthrie being quite as good as Cmonurz is suggesting against Chelsea.

I'm not sure why we signed him either, given his style of play and his history of the pitch. However, I assume he did a very good job of selling himself when he met with BM and NH and I imagine both parties were confident that it would work. Unfortunately Guthrie has limited intelligence, a poor work ethic and at best a questionable attitude. That coupled with us having a very lmited squad has contributed to it absolutely not working out. I dare say Guthrie would look alright playing for someone like Swansea, but I suspect he still doesn't work hard enough to be a real success.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 12 Dec 2012 11:57

If Danny Guthrie is as great as he and many on here seem to think he is then he would have no problem working hard, developing his strengths and using them within our style of play. How many of those sticking up for him would love to have the opportunity to play for Reading, something that this poor baby on his 35k refused to do because his ''head wasn't right''? He has insulted your club and you take his side over Brian McDermott.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Dec 2012 12:00

cmonurz So my point stands. Two million, two games.

plus a few more from the bench. and he was still shit

that without even taking into account his daft twitter reaction. which i assume youd have just ignored and continued to let him play, no matter how many games we lost

The Beardy Man

by The Beardy Man » 12 Dec 2012 12:01

I think you have to concede there is fault on both sides here. Certainly more with Guthrie than with McDermott, but still both parties can take some responsibility.

No real excuse for Guthrie throwing his toys out of the pram entirely. Even if you can't stand your boss, you get your head down, do the bare minimum and keep your eyes out for an opportunity to make an exit. Making your feelings public or saying you just can't face turning up for work is just plain stupid. Speaking as a union rep at my place of work, I would be saying a member who came to me in trouble for that would have largely shot themselves in the foot.

McDermott's part in all this cannot be utterly dismissed though. To let something fester so badly that this has all come to pass is worrying. We probably won't get a full picture till Guthrie or others leave and don't feel constrained by being in the clubs employ. It normally does take two to tango in incidents of workplace disharmony though, even if one party is being more unreasonable than the other.

After all this I would be uncomfortable seeing Guthrie in a Reading shirt again, certainly without some sort of enormous act of contrition. Feel certain that he will have to leave, whether that is by being sacked for accumulated misconduct or by transfer in January remains to be seen. There is no doubt for McDermott to have any credibility with his dressing room any public dissenters have to be dealt with swiftly and sharply.

Esteban

by Esteban » 12 Dec 2012 12:01

I wonder what the reaction would be on here if, say, Pogrebnyak had refused to play? Because everybody seems to think that Guthrie is our saviour, there's a lot of sympathy for him. Pogrebnyak would probably be faced with a lynch mob. Ipso facto I guess.

Guthrie has only been dropped, a fate that has befallen Pogrebnyak, Federici, Hunt, McCleary, Gunter, Cummings, Harte, Gorkss and Pearce so far this season and yet none of them have refused to travel anywhere.

Guthrie harshly treated? Not for me. See Florent Malouda for someone who has been properly frozen out and harshly treated by their club.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Dec 2012 12:07

Royal Lady You stick up for the club every time Bendy. :roll:

I'll always think of McD as I do Coppell - a miracle worker and a bloody good bloke too - but he's lost it now - and there's no going back. He's out of his depth, he needs help, as I've said over the last few weeks and he needs to play the BEST 11 players he has - whether he particularly likes them much or not. In fact, if they play shit, then he can tell them they're shit - but if they actually contribute to a few points for us - far better to have played them and look the big man isn't it? What has he got to lose?

He has everything to lose, including his job and the good wishes of a lot of fans, if he persists in playing his favourites and freezing out anyone who dares to have an opinion.

no i dont RL

i stick up for managers when i think theyve done th ebest they can with what theyve been given, or when i think theyve done enough to deserve my oayalty

ill happily criticise the club and manager when i think its deserved, look:

club should have spent more than the 5 million they did this summer
wasting 2 million quid of it on guthrie has clearly tunred out to be a huge boo boo
the club shouldnt have gambled so much in signing fees/wages on pogrebnyak
brians substitutions Vs saints were wrong
the total lack of quality can only be layed at the owners/chairmans door
the total lack of fight and desire and confidence can only be layed at the managers door.
the decision to have a shirt without collars this season was critical
i find the beer to be weak and fat at the stadium

see!

but the facts remain:
a squad worth about 10-15 million total was never going to compete when our direct competitors all have squads worth 40 million +
if 5 million was all we could afford to spend, theres not alot i can do to convince AZ to throw more money down the drain if he cant.
and if average players cant take being dropped or put on the bench so much they throw paddys and refuse to play, theres not alot you can do managerially to deal with it.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Dec 2012 12:08

Royal Lady if he persists in playing his favourites and freezing out anyone who dares to have an opinion.

:|

despite everything guthrie wasnt frozen out, he wanted him involved, he was on the bench as soon as he was even close to fitness.

as for favourites-other than the player who refused to be involved and who has only just come back from injury, the only other player he has had to call upon for the misfiring CMs is gunarsson. who i love. but i dont really want playing CM in th eprem for us.
apart from ledge who hasnt been dropped for the reason above, everyone of tghe other players whio are supposedly his "favourites" have been dropped this season.
which is why i think your opinion is misguided.
i understand it. youre frustrated, and angry, and want to lash out at someone,to blame someone, to do something, anything, just to change things. but you are lashing out widly at people who dont deserve it, and calling for actions that arent warranted or rational imo.
Last edited by melonhead on 12 Dec 2012 12:14, edited 1 time in total.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 12 Dec 2012 12:13

southbank1871 I really don't remember Guthrie being quite as good as Cmonurz is suggesting against Chelsea

Yeah I was at that game. How come he's been retrospectively made man of the match?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Dec 2012 12:15

hes become better with every game he hasnt played

in their deperation to look to blame it all on brian, suddenly alex pearce and danny guthrie have become maldini and maradona

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 12 Dec 2012 12:21

According to Fridays_legacy on twitter, Jason Roberts also had a go at McDermott after Saturday's match. Makes you question whether Roberts's absence was an injury or an 'injury'.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Dec 2012 12:23

he looked pissed off when he came off
but fridays legacy is drawing conclusions from that that may not be true
it could easily be that he was very annoyed that hed got injured again

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 12 Dec 2012 12:24

melonhead hes become better with every game he hasnt played

in their deperation to look to blame it all on brian, suddenly alex pearce and danny guthrie have become maldini and maradona

But nor does it help if people are blindly backing BMc in every situation!!!

Both sides are wrong in this case, and it shouldn't have got so bad. However, this whole situation seems to be being addressed as THE problem with the club rather than A problem. Irrespective of whether Guthrie plays again there are problems in our club at the moment.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 12 Dec 2012 12:25

Twitter - the new bloke down the pub.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 12 Dec 2012 12:26

Royal With Cheese Twitter - the new bloke down the pub.

"Like"

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Dec 2012 12:27

Elm Park Pasty
melonhead hes become better with every game he hasnt played

But nor does it help if people are blindly backing BMc in every situation!!!

Both sides are wrong in this case, and it shouldn't have got so bad. However, this whole situation seems to be being addressed as THE problem with the club rather than A problem. Irrespective of whether Guthrie plays again there are problems in our club at the moment.

i havent- said just up there, what mistakes i believe he has made.
and guthrie wasnt frozen out, he was involved, and brian put him straight back into the matchday squad regardless of any issues.
hed done nothing to desevre a guaranteed fist team place, and both times he hasnt been given one when he demands it, hes thrown a total paddy.
sorry, just cant have that put on brian.

464 posts