SIGNED - Stephen Kelly

308 posts
Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

Re: SIGNED - Stephen Kelly

by Gordons Cumming » 12 Jan 2013 10:17

Sir Dodger Royal You pay peanuts and you get monkeys. Is Kelly any better? Only time will tell. By then we will be relegated and hopefully McDonet will have been sackedddd

Please go away.....................and , tell you what, come back when the team are really doing well. :wink:

Then your comments may earn a little respect.

Happy New Year.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Rumour - Stephen Kelly

by Millsy » 12 Jan 2013 10:26

Royalwaster
Reading4eva I dont know why we'd worry about Right Back, its left back that concerns me.

You been to any of the matches this season - almost all the goals come over our right side. Oh sorry you're probably too busy inventing rumours or passing off news from skysports as some inside info.

Is this a windup ?

Our right is weak but our left is a joke

RedRum

by RedRum » 12 Jan 2013 10:37

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Royalwaster
Reading4eva I dont know why we'd worry about Right Back, its left back that concerns me.

You been to any of the matches this season - almost all the goals come over our right side. Oh sorry you're probably too busy inventing rumours or passing off news from skysports as some inside info.

Is this a windup ?

Our right is weak but our left is a joke

No he's mainly right, our right-flank has been weak and so Jimmy has pretty much had to he our 2nd right-back. Kelly should hopefully help jimmy play a bit more.

How is our left-back a joke? Shorey has been great for the most part this season, Harte hasn't exactly been awful since filling in when he had a 'virus'. Anyway Kelly can play left-back as well

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 12 Jan 2013 10:54

The Royal Any idea what the fee was likely to be? 1.5 mil???

I heard 1.3 million.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 12 Jan 2013 11:22

davis69
Royal With Cheese
davis69 well thats two million wasted on gunter and cummings signing a new deal great business from RFC

O do fcuk off.

now maybe you should fcuk off anyone who has posted more than 7000 times on a forum should maybe get out a bit more. I am entitled to my own opinion.

If kelly is in to play left back or bm sells one either gunter or cummings then it is not a bad signing. If he has bought him to compete with cummings and gunter for one rb postion that i cant see what help that will do if anything it will cause more unrest within the squad.

We really do need a attacking midfielder though

You need to stop moaning or stop posting. I don't mind which one.

To be fair - you're just one of the new breed of reactionary idiots on the board since our latest forray into the prem.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 12 Jan 2013 11:35

Sir Dodger Royal You pay peanuts and you get monkeys.

Doyle, Long, Ingimarsson, Gunnarsson, Shorey, Sonko, Kitson, Sidwell, Little.....

But please carry on showing yourself up! :lol:

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 12 Jan 2013 11:43

SPARTA
Sir Dodger Royal You pay peanuts and you get monkeys.

Doyle, Long, Ingimarsson, Gunnarsson, Shorey, Sonko, Kitson, Sidwell, Little.....

But please carry on showing yourself up! :lol:

Good point................the Reading way. :wink:

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 12 Jan 2013 11:43

Barry the bird boggler So what's the consensus here chaps? Should we get excited about a 29 year old who has managed 44 apps for Fulham in 3 years - just 2 this season - (overall 196 apps in 10 years) and hasn't scored since 04/05

Some of you need to wake up and smell the coffee.

The other night, I watched the 2nd half of Coventry v Preston slugging it out for a trip to Wembley in the Johnstone Paint Trophy :|

When I first started reading this board, in the late 90's, one of these clubs had been established in the top flight for years whilst the other was also far bigger than us with a past involving the likes of Tom Finny that we could only dream of. These days, they are in the lower leagues playing to thousands of empty seats in grounds that are at least the equal of our own.

But, nothing changes with our legions of carping supporters who are never happy with their lot. They were moaning back then about our "tight" Chairman and "lack of ambition" and were still crying like babies with the same complaints when we signed players like Doyle and Kitson for shirt buttons and YES! plenty said "Why should we get excited about these unknown players :evil: "

Frankly, to even ask this question regarding Kelly's signing displays a poor understanding of the game not to mention a pathetic detachment from reality.

Fulham are an established top flight club and, as such will have a number of second choices who are very good players that have spent most of their season on the bench or in the stand. Now, this may come as a shock, but by the time we reach this transfer window some of these players have decided that they are willing to move on for 1st team football.

Back on planet earth, the fact that a 29 year old right back with 32 caps for Ireland has elected to join a Premiership club that was relegated weeks ago, according to many of its' own whinging fans, should be seen as an excellent attempt at plugging the weakest link in our defense but given the levels of utter nonsense posted here in recent months, I won't be holding my breath.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 12 Jan 2013 11:45

Woodcote Royal
Barry the bird boggler So what's the consensus here chaps? Should we get excited about a 29 year old who has managed 44 apps for Fulham in 3 years - just 2 this season - (overall 196 apps in 10 years) and hasn't scored since 04/05

The other night, I watched the 2nd half of Coventry v Preston slugging it out for a trip to Wembley in the Johnstone Paint Trophy :|

When I first started reading this board, in the late 90's, one of these clubs had been established in the top flight for years whilst the other was also far bigger than us with a past involving the likes of Tom Finny that we could only dream of. These days, they are in the lower leagues playing to thousands of empty seats in grounds that are at least the equal of our own.

But, nothing changes with our legions of carping supporters who are never happy with their lot. They were moaning back then about our "tight" Chairman and "lack of ambition" and were still crying like babies with the same complaints when we signed players like Doyle and Kitson for shirt buttons and YES! plenty said "Why should we get excited about these unknown players :evil: "

Frankly, to even ask this question regarding Kelly's signing displays a poor understanding of the game not to mention a pathetic detachment from reality.

Fulham are an established top flight club and, as such will have a number of second choices who are very good players that have spent most of their season on the bench or in the stand. Now, this may come as a shock, but by the time we reach this transfer window some of these players have decided that they are willing to move on for 1st team football.

Back on planet earth, the fact that a 29 year old right back with 32 caps for Ireland has elected to join a Premiership club that was relegated weeks ago, according to many of its' own whinging fans, should be seen as an excellent attempt at plugging the weakest link in our defense but given the levels of utter nonsense posted here in recent months, I won't be holding my breath.

Superb post.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Jan 2013 11:49

Agreed. Some of the drivel posted on here lately has been nothing short of embarrassing.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 12 Jan 2013 11:54

Nothing but a +1 to add to WR's post really.

We may have two right-backs already but quite clearly neither of them are good enough at this level. The club have recognised this and brought in someone with Premier League experience to replace them.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 12 Jan 2013 12:05

Woodcote Royal

Good post. However, a couple of things. TSI have come in and the signings are still very much 'Reading' signings. Without TSI, these are the types of players the club would have signed. So what are TSI bringing to the table that the previous regime didn't?

Also, let's look at Swansea or Stoke. Both reasonable sized club, not too dissimilar to Reading these days. They've bought shrewdly and wisely in transfer windows and have evolved the squad gradually to be competitive in the Premier League. In the Summer Reading brought in too many Championship players and didn't bring in enough quality. Yes, Reading are only in their first season back in the Prem, but Reading's business in the Summer transfer window really looks like costing them their top flight status. Instead of evolving slightly, they brought in players on a par with what they had already. All they did was boost the squad numbers.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 12 Jan 2013 12:09

I do agree- good signing. Can play right or left. Prem player. Top signing. For that reason WRs post is good.

But let's not therefore take all the BS that goes with it.

The little Reading mentality is a joke and is what is holding us back.

Does he forget that Fulhsm were shitter than us which is why I used to start chants of "where were you when you were shit?" when they overtook us? What about Swansea? Wigan? Etc etc

A joke of a mentality for a huge growing rich town like ours.

Having said that I agree with the conclusion. We can't complain about this signing at all.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 12 Jan 2013 12:13

Sir Dodger Royal You pay peanuts and you get monkeys. Is Kelly any better? Only time will tell. By then we will be relegated and hopefully McDonet will have been sackedddd

So that's why we got promoted twice to the Premier League in recent years then?

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 12 Jan 2013 12:19

No Fixed Abode
Woodcote Royal

Good post. However, a couple of things. TSI have come in and the signings are still very much 'Reading' signings. Without TSI, these are the types of players the club would have signed. So what are TSI bringing to the table that the previous regime didn't?

Wages we could never have paid under SJM, and your comment about all our signings being typical Reading signings we would have made anyway - nonsense. Pogrebnyak and Guthrie would never have come here on the previous wage bill. We made an offer for Pog that the agent even said was impossible to turn down.

TSI have pumped in at least £12m so far this season in terms of transfer fees, signing on fees, agent fees. Not even considering the phenomenal wage bill. We would never have spent that under SJM.
Last edited by SPARTA on 12 Jan 2013 12:20, edited 1 time in total.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 12 Jan 2013 12:19

Having seen a pic of Kelly holding a Reading shirt, I'd like to thank McD for bringing us ladies some eye candy for once. He'll be getting my full support. Phwoarrr. etc.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 12 Jan 2013 12:23

No Fixed Abode

Do you really think we'd have got Pog and Guthrie without TSI?

Also Investment in facilities and staff.

Steve Head, Academy (need a bunch of coaches as well as new buildings), Training ground improvements etc etc.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 12 Jan 2013 12:25

Royal Lady Having seen a pic of Kelly holding a Reading shirt, I'd like to thank McD for bringing us ladies some eye candy for once. He'll be getting my full support. Phwoarrr. etc.

So you think he's eye candy and you go out with Schards :|

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 12 Jan 2013 12:28

Not read the whole thread so apologies if I'm repeating what others have said but this reminds me so much of the signing of Andy Griffin. Maybe not the exciting big name signing people are clamouring for but a solid, experienced player who will go a long way towards solving our defensive problems.

Excellent signing IMO.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 12 Jan 2013 12:29

ZacNaloen
No Fixed Abode

Do you really think we'd have got Pog and Guthrie without TSI?

Also Investment in facilities and staff.

Steve Head, Academy (need a bunch of coaches as well as new buildings), Training ground improvements etc etc.

Fair point. So the problem is McDermott bringing in the wrong players? Spending too much on those two and not having enough quality dispersed around the squad.

308 posts