Who will we draw away in the FA Cup QF

341 posts
TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

Re: Who will we draw away in the FA Cup QF

by TBM » 16 Feb 2015 23:42

1976Bantam Evening!

Re our take on the draw I think 'cocky' is a bit strong, I think most of us are seeing it - as you rightly should - as the best possible chance of getting to an FA Cup semi-final, given for us it's a home draw against the second 'lowest ranked' side left in it. We either wanted this tie or Arsenal/Man Utd away for the payday.

I'm certainly not thinking we're favourites or anything daft like that - the underdog tag suits us far better I think. I'm just hoping we can continue our good record vs higher division sides which over the past 3 seasons stands at 8 wins (Sunderland, Chelsea, Millwall home, Leeds, Villa home, Arsenal, Wigan, Watford), 1 draw (Millwall away) and only 3 defeats (Swansea in COC final, Villa away, Huddersfield away last season). I think the moment expectation levels get too high we'll fall flat on our faces. Plenty of league games for us between now and then which will hopefully help our players focus.

Just as I said to the Sunderland fans prior to our game with them - if your players turn up with the right attitude, apply themselves in the right way and are prepared to battle hard particularly in midfield (especially on our ploughed field), then you'll win as obviously you have the better players. If you don't (and Sunderland certainly didn't) then we'll more than likely turn you over. Not too many are able to cope with Hanson in the air for example, so will be interesting to see how you look to deal with it.

I'm certain we'll offer you the full Midland Road (East) Stand - capacity of 4500 but reduced to approx 4200 with a bit of segregation, which is what Sunderland were given. I'm wondering if our Board will up the ticket price to £20 from £15 as it has been so far for cup games - we should still sell out the home sections though. Not confirmed but most think all 4 QFs will Saturday/Sunday of that weekend - I'm just hoping wherever they stick us in the schedule that you have the best opportunity to make it up here in numbers.

Pearce v Hanson should be a good battle then

It's John Stead I'm more worried about though, when was the last time he didn't score when facing us.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 17 Feb 2015 00:19

Great draw, should be a cracking day.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 17 Feb 2015 00:32

For those who snab a ticket. Games confirmed as only on Sat and Sun, so it is just which of the four timeslots we get really....

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 17 Feb 2015 01:17

1976Bantam Evening!

Re our take on the draw I think 'cocky' is a bit strong, I think most of us are seeing it - as you rightly should - as the best possible chance of getting to an FA Cup semi-final, given for us it's a home draw against the second 'lowest ranked' side left in it. We either wanted this tie or Arsenal/Man Utd away for the payday.

I'm certainly not thinking we're favourites or anything daft like that - the underdog tag suits us far better I think. I'm just hoping we can continue our good record vs higher division sides which over the past 3 seasons stands at 8 wins (Sunderland, Chelsea, Millwall home, Leeds, Villa home, Arsenal, Wigan, Watford), 1 draw (Millwall away) and only 3 defeats (Swansea in COC final, Villa away, Huddersfield away last season). I think the moment expectation levels get too high we'll fall flat on our faces. Plenty of league games for us between now and then which will hopefully help our players focus.

Just as I said to the Sunderland fans prior to our game with them - if your players turn up with the right attitude, apply themselves in the right way and are prepared to battle hard particularly in midfield (especially on our ploughed field), then you'll win as obviously you have the better players. If you don't (and Sunderland certainly didn't) then we'll more than likely turn you over. Not too many are able to cope with Hanson in the air for example, so will be interesting to see how you look to deal with it.

I'm certain we'll offer you the full Midland Road (East) Stand - capacity of 4500 but reduced to approx 4200 with a bit of segregation, which is what Sunderland were given. I'm wondering if our Board will up the ticket price to £20 from £15 as it has been so far for cup games - we should still sell out the home sections though. Not confirmed but most think all 4 QFs will Saturday/Sunday of that weekend - I'm just hoping wherever they stick us in the schedule that you have the best opportunity to make it up here in numbers.

If as you say in the last 3 seasons you have only suffered 3 defeats in both cups then how come you didn`t win one of them? are you forgetting the 3-0 hammering at Rotherham. and the 2-0 setback at MK Dons? google really is a wonderful thing for searching for this kind of thing

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Feb 2015 01:23

windermere_royal
1976Bantam Evening!

If as you say in the last 3 seasons you have only suffered 3 defeats in both cups then how come you didn`t win one of them? are you forgetting the 3-0 hammering at Rotherham. and the 2-0 setback at MK Dons? google really is a wonderful thing for searching for this kind of thing

Because they got knocked out by a team in the same division or below?

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 17 Feb 2015 01:29

:oops: time for bed :D

1976Bantam

by 1976Bantam » 17 Feb 2015 05:52

windermere_royal
1976Bantam Evening!

One of your fellow posters has already pointed it out but sorry I can't resist - Google is indeed everyone's friend, but I said 3 losses to higher division opposition. You're in a higher division, hence why I made the point!

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 17 Feb 2015 06:02

Kitsondinho The away end will be full...the Parky factor ensures that! Question is, do you love him more than we do?

FA cup quarter final ensures that. Half the people going will have never even seen him play.

6 Million Dollar Man

by 6 Million Dollar Man » 17 Feb 2015 07:23

If you're looking for a pointer for kick off time/date, then Sheff Utd v Charlton last year (similar circumstances, albeit different broadcaster) had the Sunday lunchtime slot...I fully expect we will get similar.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 17 Feb 2015 07:49

Leeds are away at Wigan so no reason we can't play Saturday lunchtime from a policing perspective.

Saturday 5pm ish will be Man Utd vs Arsenal (BBC)

Liverpool will be BT Sport 4pm on Sunday (they potentially play Europa League on the Thursday)

Which leaves us with a lunchtime kick-off Sat/Sun.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 17 Feb 2015 08:00

RG30 Leeds are away at Wigan so no reason we can't play Saturday lunchtime from a policing perspective.

Liverpool will be BT Sport 4pm on Sunday (they potentially play Europa League on the Thursday)

"Police advice" will also swing Villa-WBA to a lunchtime, and most likely Sunday.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 17 Feb 2015 08:19

At least I got the away bit right !

Definately winnable, likely lunchtime KO will mean very early start but plenty of time for celebration drinks after :D

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Feb 2015 08:24

RG30 Leeds are away at Wigan so no reason we can't play Saturday lunchtime from a policing perspective.

So based on that - my guess would be:

Bradford V Reading BT Sport 12.45pm Saturday
Man Utd V Arsenal BBC1 5.15pm Saturday
A.Villa V WBA BBC1 1:30pm Sunday
Liverpool V Blackburn BT Sport 4pm Sunday

theresayakonthepitch

by theresayakonthepitch » 17 Feb 2015 08:36

Last year there was 1 game on the Saturday and 3 on the Sunday.
Saturday game was 12:45 on BBC
Sunday were 12:00, 2:00 and 4:00, one on BBC and 2 on BT
If they do the same thing I'd say we are certain to be one of the 12's on either day.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 17 Feb 2015 08:41

Saturday lunchtime will be the only time I won't be able to watch it :(

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 17 Feb 2015 08:59

Bradford.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 17 Feb 2015 09:20

re: Villa v WBA - Birmingham City v WBA was at 3pm on the Saturday when they recently played in the cup so not necessarily a security issue time.

Agree with it being about how the broadcasters decide to share it out between them.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 17 Feb 2015 09:22

Royalclapper re: Villa v WBA - Birmingham City v WBA was at 3pm on the Saturday when they recently played in the cup so not necessarily a security issue time.

Agree with it being about how the broadcasters decide to share it out between them.

From my m8s who support WBA - there's a much bigger rivalry with Villa than there is with Birmingham

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 17 Feb 2015 09:27

Big Foot
Royalclapper re: Villa v WBA - Birmingham City v WBA was at 3pm on the Saturday when they recently played in the cup so not necessarily a security issue time.

From my m8s who support WBA - there's a much bigger rivalry with Villa than there is with Birmingham

Yeah, could be a factor if they're bigger rivals. Birmingham City do retain a sizeable contingent of head cases though which surprised me when they played WBA at 3...........Baggies took a 5k following as well.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 17 Feb 2015 09:30

Second time in four days they play each other (Villa/WBA)

341 posts