Are you?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 194
Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Are to unhappy Steve Clark is staying?

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 20 Nov 2015 16:20

Stranded You could argue by staying it reaffirms any commitment. .

That's the way I like to think of it as well.
Plus if he really wants a move bigger than Fulham, then the best way he can do that is by getting results with us.
I certainly don't think he's going to start slacking on the job.

Don't really mind if he's a bit arrogant or forthright at the moment, either. Worse thing that can happen is if he comes back with a bit of a piteous attitude. And I wonder who's been pumping the press as well. Yesterday, it was a done deal. It got toned down this morning and now somebody is having another bite at this story. Is this from Fulham's press office? They cant want him that bad, surely? Or are they trying to get us to sack him so they can have a claim for not issuing a compensation package.

As for the original question, Ill probably be a bit peeved for a couple of weeks; then mostly apathetic with the odd moment of scorn, and will have totally forgotten about it by Christmas.

Unless he gets sacked.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 20 Nov 2015 17:13

Hi Seb

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Nov 2015 17:15

What is something of 'relative note' ?

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 20 Nov 2015 17:20

ScepticalRoyal I hold no blame to the man. If I was in a workplace and got another job offer of course I would want to see the situation. He's decided the situation is better here and has decided to further commit to Reading FC. What's the issue? We're not Liverpool fans; are we?!? :shock:

Let us imagine you are the owner and MD of a small company. You receive a phone call from one of your closest rivals.

Your Rival : " Oh hi ScepticRoyal, things good with you today? Listen, we'd like your permission to speak with your MostValuedEmployee [MVP] about joining us to head up our organisation and take us forward. Is that OK with you?

ScepticRoyal : " Well that's a bit of a cheek mate! He's got 18 months of his contract left. Not happy with this at all, but tell you what. We'll tell him of your interest, but if he does join you, you pay us the full wack of compensation in his current contract?"

YR : "Sounds fair enough chap"

So a few minutes later, you call your MVP

SR : "Hi MVP. Cut to the chase - I've had YR on the blower. He wants you to go over to his place and discuss the possibility of you leaving us in the lurch and running their operation!! You heard anything so preposterous?!

MVP : "oxf*rd me Boss, I'd like a piece of that!! They may be offering a shed load more dosh, and the freedom to do as I please!!! Yeah, what's his number!

SR : "What the oxf*rd?!? You oxf*rd shitless oxf*rd Scottish pcunt! After all we've done for you here! Here's his oxf*rd number you oxf*rd pcunt!

MVP meets with YR and after fannying around a bit decides the grass isn't greener over there, so calls his boss back

MVP : "Hi Boss, yeah, had a deco at what was on offer at YR, and I think I'll stay with you a bit longer.

There are 2 possible responses you give to your MVP:

1. SR : "Great mate, good to have you back on board - until the next time a rival comes sniffing round you like a dog on heat."

OR

2. SR : " oxf*rd you you traitorous oxf*rd Scottish pcunt. You are summarily dismissed for gross misconduct and we've replaced you with someone who gives a oxf*rd.

Being a successful small business owner, I can tell you exactly which answer would be used in such a scenario. Here's a clue - it ain't answer 1.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 20 Nov 2015 17:32

I think people are forgetting that the club allowed Clarke to talk to Fulham, if they really saw him as a MVP then they would have just said no and then left it at that.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 20 Nov 2015 17:44

strap
ScepticalRoyal I hold no blame to the man. If I was in a workplace and got another job offer of course I would want to see the situation. He's decided the situation is better here and has decided to further commit to Reading FC. What's the issue? We're not Liverpool fans; are we?!? :shock:

Let us imagine you are the owner and MD of a small company. You receive a phone call from one of your closest rivals.

Your Rival : " Oh hi ScepticRoyal, things good with you today? Listen, we'd like your permission to speak with your MostValuedEmployee [MVP] about joining us to head up our organisation and take us forward. Is that OK with you?

ScepticRoyal : " Well that's a bit of a cheek mate! He's got 18 months of his contract left. Not happy with this at all, but tell you what. We'll tell him of your interest, but if he does join you, you pay us the full wack of compensation in his current contract?"

SR : "Hi MVP. Cut to the chase - I've had YR on the blower. He wants you to go over to his place and discuss the possibility of you leaving us in the lurch and running their operation!! You heard anything so preposterous?!

MVP : "oxf*rd me Boss, I'd like a piece of that!! They may be offering a shed load more dosh, and the freedom to do as I please!!! Yeah, what's his number!

SR : "What the oxf*rd?!? You oxf*rd shitless oxf*rd Scottish pcunt! After all we've done for you here! Here's his oxf*rd number you oxf*rd pcunt!

MVP meets with YR and after fannying around a bit decides the grass isn't greener over there, so calls his boss back

MVP : "Hi Boss, yeah, had a deco at what was on offer at YR, and I think I'll stay with you a bit longer.

1. SR : "Great mate, good to have you back on board - until the next time a rival comes sniffing round you like a dog on heat."

OR

2. SR : " oxf*rd you you traitorous oxf*rd Scottish pcunt. You are summarily dismissed for gross misconduct and we've replaced you with someone who gives a oxf*rd.

Being a successful small business owner, I can tell you exactly which answer would be used in such a scenario. Here's a clue - it ain't answer 1.

You may want to review your small businesses discrimination policy given your rampant xenophobia.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 20 Nov 2015 17:53

TBM I think people are forgetting that the club allowed Clarke to talk to Fulham, if they really saw him as a MVP then they would have just said no and then left it at that.

If it was clear he wanted to speak to them, it would have done more harm than good stopping him.

As Howe said, they've learnt this from past experiences and that's why they let him.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 20 Nov 2015 18:06

Nigel Howe has warned Steve Clarke that he has to start producing results quickly to avoid finding himself in a ‘really difficult scenario’.

And whilst admitting he was happy that Clarke had opted against a shock switch to Craven Cottage, Howe revealed he was disappointed that the Scot wanted to speak to the west London club in the first place.

And he says getting results on the pitch is the only way of undoing the damage caused by what has been a difficult few week - starting with Saturday's home game against Bolton Wanderers.

“I think everybody is going to see it as disappointing,” said Howe.

“I wouldn’t think anybody with any sense would say that you aren’t going to be slightly disappointed with somebody who considers another opportunity. I think Steve can only show his worth to the club now by being successful on the pitch. If he’s not then you’re back in a really difficult scenario again".

DaddyKuhl

by DaddyKuhl » 20 Nov 2015 18:15

strap

OR

What utter drivel

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 20 Nov 2015 18:25

Reading the questions and answers from the press conference and the comments from Nigel Howe it just about puts Clarke in an untenable position, it would appear from Howe's comments that a couple of bad results and he will be gone.

This whole situation seems to have left a very bad taste in the Reading managements mouths and it would apper to be very difficult to see how a productive working relationship can be resumed from now on ?

in reality it would likely have been best for all parties concerned to terminate his management now rather than linger on with this uncertainty, as we can only presume now that we are going to be put through this scenario each time a job becomes available that Clarke fancies, sad to have got to this point, as I for one was very pleased when we first got him, but thats football I suppose, probably the most disloyal trade you can choose to be a part of ?

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 20 Nov 2015 18:32

Meh, I still support him. When someone says 'I'd like you to work for me' even if you love your job you don't put your fingers in your ears and shout 'Lalalala', you find out what it's about.

The negative here is the pr element and that all struggling premier league clubs think he's on the market.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 20 Nov 2015 18:47

Yep, it shouts out " come and get me"

"but, it better be worth my while"

Meantime, at least he has to raise his shares

....and it's all been said elsewhere

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Nov 2015 19:03

Royal Ginger Meh, I still support him. When someone says 'I'd like you to work for me' even if you love your job you don't put your fingers in your ears and shout 'Lalalala', you find out what it's about.

The negative here is the pr element and that all struggling premier league clubs think he's on the market.

Because he's such a catch, right?

The mans done fcuk all in his management career

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 20 Nov 2015 19:07

leon
Royal Ginger Meh, I still support him. When someone says 'I'd like you to work for me' even if you love your job you don't put your fingers in your ears and shout 'Lalalala', you find out what it's about.

The mans done fcuk all in his management career

Other than turn us from a bottom 1/4 team to a top 1/4 one of course!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 20 Nov 2015 19:11

leon

Well obviously otherwise he wouldn't have been headhunted.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 20 Nov 2015 19:14

He's got a pretty impressive coaching cv and in these days of Director of Footballs that maybe attractive to many clubs...

Dai Brainbocs
Hob Nob Regular

by Dai Brainbocs » 20 Nov 2015 19:16

Can't get the genie back in the bottle, he'll be gone by Christmas. It's McLaren at Derby all over again.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 20 Nov 2015 19:51

sandman
leon

Well obviously otherwise he wouldn't have been headhunted.

Do you even know what headhunting is you massive helm?

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 20 Nov 2015 20:25

Interesting interview given by Howe on BBCRB earlier today but the bit I liked the most was when Howe said

"my phone hasn't stopped ringing with potential manager wanting the managers job".

Clarke now looks like a complete punt, his game backfired and unless he gets results he'll be sacked.

Tomorrow's chant. (Ex clarke fan) and you oxf*rd it up... Ex Clarke fan and you oxf*rd it up! You are my Reading..... My only Reading...

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Nov 2015 20:33

TFF
Lacoste Ok then, TFF.

Lets put all managers on rolling contracts. If they're fired, no compo and free to move as they like.

Lets see how many managers would like that. If contracts mean nothing to them, lets do it. Surely it would benefit them, no? Especially if they're "ambitious" and willing to jup at every average opportunity.

Also, its telling that a number of former RFC players have come out condemning Clarke for what he's done. I'm assuming they're better informed as to how this will effect the club than the likes of you.

If clubs respected the contracts they gave their managers you might have an argument. We were quick enough to get rid of Rodgers, McD and Adkins when it suited.

I would have thought the last people to be condemning Clarke would be players - given the value they typically put on club loyalty.

How is terminating someone's contract for poor performance and making an inevitable generous settlement to do so not honouring it?

436 posts