Steve Coppell and the FA Cup

251 posts
tom_t69

by tom_t69 » 07 Jan 2007 18:36

You hav to believe in wat coppel is doing after all he has donre for us. i don't understand the part in the original article where it says we would be doing a millwall if we get to the final. Its not quite the same thing is it really? millwall were a strugling championship side and we are a top half prem club.

Fat Leather Jacket

by Fat Leather Jacket » 07 Jan 2007 18:43

Spell his name right for fecks sake.

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: The footballing equivalent of a HarLOLem GLOLobetrotter..

by alad » 07 Jan 2007 20:05

Pool and Darts I too, am with Coppell 100%.

I don't want Doyle, Shorey, Little, Sidwell, Sonks, Ingi etc. etc at risk of getting crocked by some lower league team who fancy getting a premiership scalp in the cup.

Who REALLY thinks we can cope with two or three key injuries at this stage of the season?

I mean, it has never happened against Burnley before has it?!?!

When we have been in the Premiership for another season or two, with a much larger squad of quality players, then I think that we should make a good go for the FA cup. We are doing very well this season, but are nowhere near safe enough yet. Like someone said, a few defeats on the spin, and results elsewhere, and we could very quickly be looking nervously over our shoulder. FWIW, I do honestly believe we will stay up, but only if we continue with how we have done so far. take Shorey, Doyle and one of our centrebacks out of the picture, and we won't be able to do that.

It is also good that the rest of the squad get some proper first team football. May even motivate them to try harder and get into the first team in the league, who knows?

I still remember the great cup runs we had in 97/98. How quickly were they forgotten when we went down at the end of the season?

We are not yet in that bracket of teams that can realistically go for the FA cup, that second tier of teams that are established, and have a decent squad. I'm sure we will be in a year or two, and then I'd be glad for us to have a crack at it!!

Where do you draw the line with regard to sustaining an injury? Should the players not train as they might pick up an injury that would rule them out of a league game? Should they not drive incase they have a car crash? Should they be banned from shopping incase they fall over?

They're professional footballers who are paid to play football matches. Using the excuse they might pick up an injury if they play in the cup is laughable.

tom_t69

by tom_t69 » 07 Jan 2007 20:36

Fat Leather Jacket Spell his name right for fecks sake.

soz i made a typo not really a great reply much didnt add much to the forum.

phil in cornwall

by phil in cornwall » 07 Jan 2007 21:28

tom_t69
Fat Leather Jacket Spell his name right for fecks sake.

soz i made a typo not really a great reply much didnt add much to the forum.

:oops:

phil in cornwall

by phil in cornwall » 07 Jan 2007 22:05

Let's at least put a team out on Tuesday that is capable of beating Burnley.

We could really progress in this competition and have a lot of fun doing it.

Does anyone imagine that Warnocks United are any more confident for their match here after losing 0 - 3 at home to Swansea?

PS Did you read this -

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 34632.html

Pool and Darts

by Pool and Darts » 07 Jan 2007 22:27

alad
Pool and Darts I too, am with Coppell 100%.

I don't want Doyle, Shorey, Little, Sidwell, Sonks, Ingi etc. etc at risk of getting crocked by some lower league team who fancy getting a premiership scalp in the cup.

Who REALLY thinks we can cope with two or three key injuries at this stage of the season?

I mean, it has never happened against Burnley before has it?!?!

When we have been in the Premiership for another season or two, with a much larger squad of quality players, then I think that we should make a good go for the FA cup. We are doing very well this season, but are nowhere near safe enough yet. Like someone said, a few defeats on the spin, and results elsewhere, and we could very quickly be looking nervously over our shoulder. FWIW, I do honestly believe we will stay up, but only if we continue with how we have done so far. take Shorey, Doyle and one of our centrebacks out of the picture, and we won't be able to do that.

It is also good that the rest of the squad get some proper first team football. May even motivate them to try harder and get into the first team in the league, who knows?

I still remember the great cup runs we had in 97/98. How quickly were they forgotten when we went down at the end of the season?

We are not yet in that bracket of teams that can realistically go for the FA cup, that second tier of teams that are established, and have a decent squad. I'm sure we will be in a year or two, and then I'd be glad for us to have a crack at it!!

Where do you draw the line with regard to sustaining an injury? Should the players not train as they might pick up an injury that would rule them out of a league game? Should they not drive incase they have a car crash? Should they be banned from shopping incase they fall over?

They're professional footballers who are paid to play football matches. Using the excuse they might pick up an injury if they play in the cup is laughable.

I'll tell you what's laughable.

Going balls out for the FA cup in our first year in the Premiership, with a thin squad. Especially against a team that would relish the chance to rough us up a bit, as they did last season.

Let the (professional footballers who get paid to play football), that haven't played much, a chance to play football like the (professional footballers who get paid to play football) that they are.

Basically, you either want us to go for the cup or not.
I am firmly with Coppell, and don't give a monkeys about the cup at this stage in our clubs history.

Gladly (as far as my humble opinion goes) it's Mr Coppell who makes the decision and not by a poll on HNA!

We have a limited amount of playing resources, that should be deployed at the most appropriate points in our season. It is the same reason that Coppell takes of key players when we are a few goals up with 20 minutes to go.

I suppose you think that he shouldn't sub Doyle when we are 2 goals up with minutes to go, so we can bust a gut trying to improve our goal difference?!

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by alad » 07 Jan 2007 22:35

Hardly busting a gut playing the first choice side (with one or two fringe players) in a handful of cup games. You make it sound like playing an extra 8 games. Oh they already did that with ease last season :roll:

Theres no reason why the league and cup can't both be taken seriously, it's not a simple choice of one or the other.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 07 Jan 2007 22:37

Indeed. I bloddy hate the fallacy of the false dichotomy. Please stop it.

royals pete

by royals pete » 07 Jan 2007 22:39

I'm definitely with Pool & Darts on this and others supporting SC. Seem to forget that he is also trying to get the fringe players to build on experience so that if and when they are called on to cover, they can be confident with it and give us good back up.

Leave it with SC.. I can go a cup game with 2nd string. We can't realistically win the jug

And while I'm at it, lets forget trying to interprete Betfair odds when someone doesn't understand them. It would now take a lot and I mean a lot of bad results to affect the odds. Aint gonna happen.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 07 Jan 2007 23:17

alad

OK, let's take a wild stab in the dark at this little dilemma.

The most important games for our players are the league matches as maintaining our current status will guarantee more than our current annual revenue for the whole of next season.

Furthermore, whilst it would be nice to wrap our top 16 in cotton wool in between fixtures, they have to train to maintain the level of fitness required to compete at this level.

So, even though we run the risk of players sustaining injury when training, I can see no alternative that would achieve the same end.

On the other hand, less important fixtures represent an unnecessary risk to players we can ill afford to lose.

HTH

tink

by tink » 08 Jan 2007 00:30

I have no problems with SC's decision.

it'll be good experience for some of the younger/fringe players to get out and get some competitive minutes under their belts (lets face it, they dont get the same sort of test in the reserve league)

the fringe players have the incentive to win, cos if they win then they have the opportunity to play in the next round and further impress the boss.

if our first team pick up injuries, then the fringe players will be in a better position to step in

no point taking unneccessary risks with the first team - of course they could pick up injuries in training or at home, but why risk deliberately putting them in a situation where they might pick up an avoidable injury?

the top four will all be going for the cup, and on their day, we can't beat any of them. realistically, we can't win the cup, so to be honest there's not much point in taking risks in winning it

premiership survival is the be all and end all for this season. oxf*rd the cup.

and if the reserves do well and start to progress, give em a chance. if they get to the final, they've earned it, and i think it would shatter their confidence in the club and their manager if after all their hard work, they were dropped in favour of the first team regulars, who get a cup final every week at old trafford, the bridge, the emirates, the lane etc...

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by alad » 08 Jan 2007 00:42

It's time some of you grew a backbone and had your own opinion. If Coppell said he was taking the cup seriously you would all be agreeing with him.

Sheep :roll:

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 08 Jan 2007 00:43

tink the top four will all be going for the cup, and on their day, we can't beat any of them.

Well, three of them might be.

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 08 Jan 2007 01:10

alad It's time some of you grew a backbone and had your own opinion. If Coppell said he was taking the cup seriously you would all be agreeing with him.

I do have an opinion, and it's not the same as yours.

Deal with it.

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by alad » 08 Jan 2007 01:24

Gav
alad It's time some of you grew a backbone and had your own opinion. If Coppell said he was taking the cup seriously you would all be agreeing with him.

I do have an opinion, and it's not the same as yours.

Deal with it.

Mine is correct (as always) and yours isn't.

Row V
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Welcome to NJ, where the weak are killed and eaten.

by Row V » 08 Jan 2007 02:14

Speaks the ManUre supporter.

Can you simultaneously fish and watch utd on TV from your house?

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by alad » 08 Jan 2007 03:03

Row V Speaks the ManUre supporter.

Can you simultaneously fish and watch utd on TV from your house?

Cheap, predictable and wrong, which just about sums you up.

oldelmparky

by oldelmparky » 08 Jan 2007 09:04

Platypuss Indeed. I bloddy hate the fallacy of the false dichotomy. Please stop it.

I imagine you're not too keen on putting spin into circular arguments.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Jan 2007 09:30

lita
harper
ivar
oster
seol
convey
kitson
long
sodje

i believe these players have all started premiere league fixtures this season

and were in the cup side

probably the strongest cup side we have fielded in the last two seasons, what are you lot whingeing about

shut up and listen to stevie c
he is a god, and he is doing the right thing

251 posts