Who will go down?

289 posts

Who do you think will occupy the final relegation place with Derby and Fulham?

Middlesbrough
1%
Wigan
2%
Reading
9%
Newcastle
14%
Sunderland
12%
Birmingham
7%
Bolton
54%

Total votes: 358
Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Who will go down?

by Franchise FC » 29 Mar 2008 17:37

Derby (now definitely), Fulham (most probably since they couldn't beat Derby) and probably Bolton (2-0 up against 10 men and then losing is going to do wonders for their confidence)

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 29 Mar 2008 17:39

Agreed. They are going to take a lot of picking up after that collapse.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 29 Mar 2008 17:43

Royal Rother Agreed. They are going to take a lot of picking up after that collapse.

Let's hope so - away to Villa for them next, although that's going to depend on which Villa turn up.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 29 Mar 2008 17:59

Bolton, Fulham, Derby

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 29 Mar 2008 18:29

Franchise FC
Royal Rother Agreed. They are going to take a lot of picking up after that collapse.

Let's hope so - away to Villa for them next, although that's going to depend on which Villa turn up.

Villa are desperately short of numbers and of confidence at the moment, that's certainly one that Bolton should be capable of winning.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 29 Mar 2008 18:39

bobbybottler
Franchise FC

Villa are desperately short of numbers and of confidence at the moment, that's certainly one that Bolton should be capable of winning.

Surely Arsenal were short of numbers today - didn't help Bolton that much.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 29 Mar 2008 19:54

Was really worried with Bolton 2-0 up at half-time but their second half collapse will have a massive impact on their morale particularly with Brum winning.

Cookie

by Cookie » 03 Apr 2008 21:50

Saturday, 05 April 2008
Arsenal v Liverpool, 12:45
Aston Villa v Bolton, 15:00
Blackburn v Tottenham, 15:00
Fulham v Sunderland, 15:00
Man City v Chelsea, 15:00
Newcastle v Reading, 15:00
Wigan v Birmingham, 15:00

Sunday, 06 April 2008
Everton v Derby, 15:00
Middlesbrough v Man Utd, 13:30

Tuesday, 08 April 2008
West Ham v Portsmouth, 19:45

We got some real six-pointers this weekend.
The right result for The Royals on Tyneside and we're on easy street.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 03 Apr 2008 21:53

Betfair.com put the odds of Reading being relegated at 12/1 which seems fairly safe to me.

Not as safe as Spurs at 420/1 though.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Apr 2008 21:57

I think Newcastle are there for the taking.

They've turned it around so will be confident of safety, but they arn't that massively improved that they're likely to go on a particularly great run of results. Complacency is likely to be a possibility against little Reading at St James Park after beating Spurs.

Add that to their defensive woes and our recent improved defence and it's got potential for us to win.

Cookie

by Cookie » 03 Apr 2008 22:12

Saturday, 05 April 2008
Aston Villa v Bolton, 15:00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday, 12 April 2008
Bolton v West Ham, 15:00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturday, 19 April 2008
Middlesbrough v Bolton, 15:00
Saturday, 26 April 2008
Tottenham v Bolton, 15:00
Saturday, 03 May 2008
Bolton v Sunderland, 15:00
Sunday, 11 May 2008
Chelsea v Bolton, 15:00

People say Bolton have got a tough run-in. But apart from their game at Chelsea I don't think it looks too bad. Villa and Spurs have been rolling over lately. They could get 15 points from that lot.

elrey

by elrey » 03 Apr 2008 22:15

Bolton have an easy run in but are 6 points behind us who have two easy matches. Birmingham though, have only a 4 point lead, have to play wigan away, with stevie a little bit annoyed with the brumscum, at home to everton, not easy, Villa away, villa will be up for this one, liverpool at home, definatly not easy, depends on europe matches and qualifying for next years EC, then two easy ones, fulham away, 3 points and blackburn at home, a point, so they might get 4 points, that means bolton need 8 points or more. I'm not sure if they are capable, but you never know.

Wigan are 5 points ahead, Brum at home, they should win, chelsea away, lose, tottenham at home, hmm, draw maybe, us at home, villa away, lose, man utd at home, lose, so max of around 9 or 10 points should see them safe, depending on our match.

Can't see sunderland going down, too many points already, bolton need to get 7 or 8 points and that doesn't includes fulham away, 3 points, man city at home, 3 points, bolton away, 3 points.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 04 Apr 2008 08:24

if you take away the "any one can beat anyone" factor, Bolton's run-in does indeed look tough, given that (to catch us, at least) they have to make up six points. They might win their two remaining home games (hope not of course), but that might be it, so we need one more point. However my RTG/pessimistic split personality makes me worry that:

a. ever year someone pulls away when seemingly down. Last year it was West Ham, who pulled off results (eg at OT) they had no right to. I wonder how many points Sheff U were clear from trouble with six games to go. I think it was six :shock: .

b. Fulham do have an "easy" run-in. Granted, they have blown this a bit by only getting a point from Derby and NU away, but if they beat Sunderland (which I hope they do not), they will be in a do or die situation at our place the following week. A win there too and they are back in the mix, with Birmingham at home to come.

I'd accept anything from Saturday, a draw would be fine. If we get it, it wouldn't be too bad even if Bolton and Fulham get draws. Apart from our score, the key outcome is that Bolton do not win.

Up the Villa.
Last edited by LUX on 04 Apr 2008 09:37, edited 1 time in total.

Pardsme

by Pardsme » 04 Apr 2008 08:54

Wouldn't surprise me if Bolton beat Villa tomorrow. Same way didn't expect Sunderland to beat Villa away. Hopefully O'Neill will make sure they up for it.

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 04 Apr 2008 09:19

LUX if you take away the "any one can beat anyone" factor, Bolton's run-in does indeed look tough, given that (to catch us, at least) they have to make up six points. They might win their two remaining home games (hope not of course), but that might be it, so we need one more point. However my RTG/pessimistic split personality makes me worry that:

a. ever year someone pulls away when seemingly down. Last year it was West Ham, who pulled off results (eg at OT) they had no right to. I wonder how many points Sheff U were clear from trouble with six points to go. I think it was six :shock: .

b. Fulham do have an "easy" run-in. Granted, they have blown this a bit by only getting a point from Derby and NU away, but if they beat Sunderland (which I hope they do not), they will be in a do or die situation at our place the following week. A win there too and they are back in the mix, with Birmingham at home to come.

I'd accept anything from Saturday, a draw would be fine. If we get it, it wouldn't be too bad even if Bolton and Fulham get draws. Apart from our score, the key outcome is that Bolton do not win.

Up the Villa.

Sheffield United still had it in their own hands on the last day of the season. If it was the same scenario for us I'd take that.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 04 Apr 2008 09:40

tbh I'd not take that if offered now. Having to win at Derby would scare the bollox off me. We have the six point cushion. If all games go to form, that six points gap should remain, even if Bolton win their home games as I said. That is the scary reality for Bolton. They have to get some very good results and hope that we screw up v Fulham, Wigan, Derby and the other three games.

Trouble is, it's not impossible.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 04 Apr 2008 10:39

It's not impossible at all. I think we are going to be OK but I am still changing my underpants three times a day.

Reading West

by Reading West » 04 Apr 2008 10:49

I'll be suprised if Bolton beat Villa. Villa will have a lot of hurt pride at the moment, being beaten at home to Sunderland and then getting thrashed by Man U (it could have been 8-0) I can't see o'neil tolerating villa getting beaten at home again by a team fighting relagation, add to the fact that they got beat by Fulham not so long ago (shows how bad we were when they beat us) :wink:

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 04 Apr 2008 11:44

Seal
Sheffield United still had it in their own hands on the last day of the season. If it was the same scenario for us I'd take that.

I am not sure I would! My nightmare scenario is having to go to Derby needing a result. When you have supported the club as long as I have you know that is a place you do not want to be!

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 04 Apr 2008 11:48

Reading West I'll be suprised if Bolton beat Villa. Villa will have a lot of hurt pride at the moment, being beaten at home to Sunderland and then getting thrashed by Man U (it could have been 8-0) I can't see o'neil tolerating villa getting beaten at home again by a team fighting relagation, add to the fact that they got beat by Fulham not so long ago (shows how bad we were when they beat us) :wink:

Yes, but... Villa have a bit of an injury crisis at the moment &, hurt pride or not, they are pretty poor now.

289 posts