Little joining Pompey

423 posts
Vision
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Little joining Pompey

by Vision » 20 Jun 2008 17:00

earleyroyal
Alan Partridge
What the hell are you on about? I'm still fairly annoyed that the team we had 3 years ago would absolutely rinse our current team, that's without the enormous sums of money gone into the club during that spell.

I challenge anyone to argue with this statement and/or argue that it doesn't suggest a failure on behalf of the club.

On the other hand I don't want people reading into that I want the board to be sacked blah blah blah, but it's hard to rationally disagree with that statement.

You can't because in assembling that side on the budget we did was a miracle. The cost of improving that team in the Premiership would far outweigh our resources/ambition call it what you will. Look at what Sidwell is worth now and consider how much an improvement would cost.

That side listed was the greatest this club has seen and quite possibly the most cheaply assembled side to finish 8th in the modern premiership era . Unless Coppell (or clueless idiot as he appears to be considered by some) can work the same miracle again then its unlikley to be bettered.

Could we have borought in better players than we did? Certainly but would be able to better that side? doubtful.

GJ79

by GJ79 » 20 Jun 2008 17:00

Gutted,and just like the ronaldo manu/real madrid situation, it looks like our right winger who we stood by when he was having a bad time has shown no loyalty to the fans who loved him and paid his wage!!! What a let down Glen Little enjoy the bench and i wonder if he'll play more games then sidwell did at chelsea??? :(

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 20 Jun 2008 17:04

Vision
earleyroyal
Alan Partridge
What the hell are you on about? I'm still fairly annoyed that the team we had 3 years ago would absolutely rinse our current team, that's without the enormous sums of money gone into the club during that spell.

I challenge anyone to argue with this statement and/or argue that it doesn't suggest a failure on behalf of the club.

On the other hand I don't want people reading into that I want the board to be sacked blah blah blah, but it's hard to rationally disagree with that statement.

You can't because in assembling that side on the budget we did was a miracle. The cost of improving that team in the Premiership would far outweigh our resources/ambition call it what you will. Look at what Sidwell is worth now and consider how much an improvement would cost.

That side listed was the greatest this club has seen and quite possibly the most cheaply assembled side to finish 8th in the modern premiership era . Unless Coppell (or clueless idiot as he appears to be considered by some) can work the same miracle again then its unlikley to be bettered.

Could we have borought in better players than we did? Certainly but would be able to better that side? doubtful.

So you look long term. When it looked like we were going up, you look for players that develop to come in as we're in the Premiership. When we were pretty much safely ensonced in the Premiership that first January, it was clear Sidwell was leaving. So why did we move 6 months and then 12 months later rather than then? I appreciate that a lot of this is out of RFC's hands but we could have avoided the slow death of that promotion side with a more proactive stance.

Do what we did so well the first time round. Cheaper, longer-term.

We have wasted a good handful of opportunities to really develop the squad.
Last edited by papereyes on 20 Jun 2008 17:05, edited 1 time in total.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 20 Jun 2008 17:05

All of a sudden i regret handing in my season ticket application this morning.

Absolutely gutted and not really looking forward to next year at all at the moment. I know he didn't feature at all last year but i was looking forward to seeing a fully fit Glenn next season.

Please buy some f*cking players this year Steve!!!!

Oh, and good luck Glenn, I suppose.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 20 Jun 2008 17:08

GJ79 Gutted,and just like the ronaldo manu/real madrid situation, it looks like our right winger who we stood by when he was having a bad time has shown no loyalty to the fans who loved him and paid his wage!!! What a let down Glen Little enjoy the bench and i wonder if he'll play more games then sidwell did at chelsea??? :(

A bit harsh and unrealistic. If I was in Little's position I would do the same - surely if we are honest we all would. Not only will he be paid more but if he keeps fit he may make a significant impact in the PL for one or more seasons. The alternative would be another Championship medal with Reading at best - there really was no other choice for him to make.

I say good luck to Glen and at least it will make watching MOTD a bit more bearable if we can watch some of our ex stars in action.

NewburyURZFan

by NewburyURZFan » 20 Jun 2008 17:12

Ups and Downs All of a sudden i regret handing in my season ticket application this morning.

Absolutely gutted and not really looking forward to next year at all at the moment. I know he didn't feature at all last year but i was looking forward to seeing a fully fit Glenn next season.

fu ck me, just cos Glens gone it doesnt mean the end of Reading FC. He is old and injury prone, get rid of him now before he spends another season on the bench or in the stands. You gwarn like he was worth the season ticket alone just to watch him. He werent that special. have faith in our club scouting fresh talent, this should make way for a young pacey winger.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 20 Jun 2008 17:13

well done glenda-deserves a bigger stage than we can give him
im gutted, but cheerio, and thanks for all the fish

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 20 Jun 2008 17:14

NewburyURZFan
Ups and Downs All of a sudden i regret handing in my season ticket application this morning.

fu ck me, just cos Glens gone it doesnt mean the end of Reading FC. He is old and injury prone, get rid of him now before he spends another season on the bench or in the stands. You gwarn like he was worth the season ticket alone just to watch him. He werent that special. have faith in our club scouting fresh talent, this should make way for a young pacey winger.

Amen to that............christ its no wonder other fans laugh at this club.

Bill Oddie
Location: By the bamboo bush in the central reservation on the M4

by Bill Oddie » 20 Jun 2008 17:16

This has really depressed me, the one player who as an indivual I didn't mind paying out good money to watch. An absolute genius with the ball at his feet. Doyle, Harper, Kitson, Shorey, Hunt,I would have preferred any of these to go before Glen. Really gutted about this. How much more damage can one club do to us, bloody pompey ! Burn you bastards :evil:

ruprecht

by ruprecht » 20 Jun 2008 17:17

this should make way for a young pacey winger.

Like Kebe?!

I don't know if it had anything to do with the chcken and bacon sandwich I had for lunch but when I read Little had left I suddenly needed to take a sh*t real bad.
Last edited by ruprecht on 20 Jun 2008 17:22, edited 1 time in total.

GJ79

by GJ79 » 20 Jun 2008 17:17

andrew1957
GJ79 Gutted,and just like the ronaldo manu/real madrid situation, it looks like our right winger who we stood by when he was having a bad time has shown no loyalty to the fans who loved him and paid his wage!!! What a let down Glen Little enjoy the bench and i wonder if he'll play more games then sidwell did at chelsea??? :(

A bit harsh and unrealistic. If I was in Little's position I would do the same - surely if we are honest we all would. Not only will he be paid more but if he keeps fit he may make a significant impact in the PL for one or more seasons. The alternative would be another Championship medal with Reading at best - there really was no other choice for him to make.

I say good luck to Glen and at least it will make watching MOTD a bit more bearable if we can watch some of our ex stars in action.

2 things mate 1st one have you seen the pompey team when do you think little will play??? Cup games?? If i was i footballer whos had 2 seasons premiership wages im sure with the right investment i could cope on championship wages, 2nd point MOTD can kiss my ar*e its sh*te :lol:

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular

by Ups and Downs » 20 Jun 2008 17:20

NewburyURZFan

HA HA HAHA AHAHAHA HA HA HA HA AAAA HAHAHA HAH HAA HA HA!!!

Cheers, Bud, that's cheered me up no end. "Faith in our club scouting fresh talent" ha ha, good one! "Young pacey winger" ha ha stop, you're killing me now.

I suppose watching the Kebster falling over his own legs will be pretty funny though.

The Brain

by The Brain » 20 Jun 2008 17:21

Yeah, to be honest he may only have a few years left to play at this level so for three reasons I would do the same..they are..1) Money 2) Money 3) Money ...and why not. Good luck Glen! 99.99% of us would do exactly the same.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 Jun 2008 17:23

The club offered Little a deal that was obviously satisfactory to him - he was about to sign then received a call from a club established in the top half of the PL and going into Europe.

Why does our failure to keep him signal a lack of ambition and such anger at RFC and its management? It's utterly bizarre and emotional nonsense.

Still, it gives a few people a lovely opportunity to vent their spleen about last season again.

The fact is that the player is old (in footballing terms), injury prone and quite unlikely ever to sustain a full season.

Look forward, not back.

Good luck to him - I hope he does well, but fear he will struggle.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 20 Jun 2008 17:24

Royal Rother The club offered Little a deal that was obviously satisfactory to him - he was about to sign then received a call from a club established in the top half of the PL and going into Europe.

Why does our failure to keep him signal a lack of ambition and such anger at RFC and its management? It's utterly bizarre and emotional nonsense.

Still, it gives a few people a lovely opportunity to vent their spleen about last season again.

The fact is that the player is old (in footballing terms), injury prone and quite unlikely ever to sustain a full season.

Look forward, not back.

Good luck to him - I hope he does well, but fear he will struggle.

Once again RR you are the lone voice of reason in a typically Hysterical HNA thread.

chandog

by chandog » 20 Jun 2008 17:26

Shit
Little was one of the players we could nt really afford to lose
We are not getting any money for him and are now left with Kebe and Henry
Another position we need invest in and with our tight budget this will be difficult
Still glad oster has gone though :)

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 20 Jun 2008 17:28

chandog Shit
Another position we need invest in and with our tight budget this will be difficult

Where is the proof that neither Kebe or Henry will not step up next year?

Give 'em a bleedin chance before you dismiss them outright.

Roger the Rabbit

by Roger the Rabbit » 20 Jun 2008 17:31

winchester_royal Amen to that............christ its no wonder other fans laugh at this club.

Except they don't...
OK, you may get a few teenage keyboard warriors trying to wind people up but I've only ever met people who have a deal of respect for what we have done and the type of club we are.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular

by Ups and Downs » 20 Jun 2008 17:31

winchester_royal
chandog Shit

I don't know about henry but can i just dismiss Kebe now please?

chandog

by chandog » 20 Jun 2008 17:32

winchester_royal
chandog Shit

Its not me giving them a chance that counts its coppell
He doesnt seem to trust any youth players in the first team and picked oster over kebe at the end of last season
If coppell didnt pick them before he clearly doesnt think they are good enough

423 posts