£23 million In ... £1.4 million Spent

252 posts
Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

Re: £23 million In ... £1.4 million Spent

by Top Flight » 04 Sep 2008 12:52

Madejski's explanation is more than good enough for me.

He didn't need to explain the situation as far as I'm concerned anyway. I fully trust him and his judgement. He is definitely doing the right thing for Reading FC. I can't understand why anyone would think otherwise.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 04 Sep 2008 12:53

I SAY SACK THE BOARD. SPEND THE MONEY, LIVE THE DREAM FOR 2 OR 3 YEARS!!!!!! (Then face bankruptcy and eventually end up in League 2 or worse, but we'll ignore that part)

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 04 Sep 2008 13:55

Geekins How much did we pay for Matejovsky?

£1.4M

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Sep 2008 13:58

papereyes
brendywendy which is why its important to see the whole picture,
or only quote like for like costs/expenses

Here's the point

Here's you

HTH
#

it doesnt

but some explanation, debate, info about why you feel this way would help

cos i cant work out if im being stoopid, or you arent explaining your"point" very well

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Sep 2008 15:30

I won't gamble Royals' future
By Nick Ive
4/ 9/2008

John Madejski believes it is unfair for fans to boo him – and has told his critics he will not jeopardise the future of the club.

The multi-millionaire chairman has always enjoyed unwavering backing from loyal Royals for saving the club from extinction and giving them the financial backing to reach the Premier League for the first time in their entire history.

However, he is now coming under fire from a section of disillusioned supporters for what is seen as a distinct lack of investment.

Madejski was booed by some fans when he took to the pitch at the interval to encourage the crowd into being more vocal during Saturday’s thrilling 4-2 win over Crystal Palace.

In an exclusive interview with the Evening Post, the chairman said: “I didn’t actually hear it, but apparently it happened.

“It’s never the best thing in the world. I feel it is a bit unfair. We are trying our best, but the trouble is they are not privy to the finite details of the costs and what is involved.

“Running a club is a very expensive business and they shouldn’t be so quick to judge.”

Despite relegation, Royals receive £11million over the next two seasons in parachute payments. However, their television revenue drops from £30million last season to just over £1million this time around.

The club has also slashed its wage bill by 40 per cent and has also recouped little more than £10million in transfer fees following the sale of Dave Kitson, Nicky Shorey and Ibrahima Sonko.

However, there are still bank loans to pay off.

And Madejski, who stopped subsiding the club several years ago, insists millions of pounds have been spent on investment and infrastructure.

The chairman said: “We are not awash with cash like everyone thinks, but we are financially healthy compared to most of the Championship clubs. We had two seasons in the Premier League but there isn’t a surplus of cash.

booing him was a disgrace

i will be forced to applaud at an irritatingly high volume next home game, just so he know i appreciate him.

Son of Len

by Son of Len » 04 Sep 2008 15:52

brendywendy
By Nick Ive
4/ 9/2008

John Madejski believes it is unfair for fans to boo him – and has told his critics he will not jeopardise the future of the club.

Yada yada yada...

i will be forced to applaud at an irritatingly high volume next home game, just so he know i appreciate him.

Club management explains finances in very general terms. The posters who feel JM is ripping off the supporters are too focused on transfer fees. The only way to know for sure what going on is for the club to be run openly with tranparent financials, but I don't think any sports club in the world is run that way. So it is all moot.

If I could make it to a game, I would neither boo nor cheer him. I would cheer the squad, though.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Sep 2008 16:00

thats the worst thing son of len(i know your dad)
usually i dont applaud the man-im not a big fan of him personality wise
but the boos are forcing me to do it

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 04 Sep 2008 16:48

Son of Len
brendywendy
By Nick Ive
4/ 9/2008

Yada yada yada...

Club management explains finances in very general terms. The posters who feel JM is ripping off the supporters are too focused on transfer fees. The only way to know for sure what going on is for the club to be run openly with tranparent financials, but I don't think any sports club in the world is run that way. So it is all moot.

Some are, but they are the clubs owned by their supporters. Whilst we are owned as a private company by an individual it's never going to happen.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 04 Sep 2008 16:50

papereyes
"Since the start of our first Premier League season two years ago we have spent nearly £12m on new players, and another £7.5m in improving the infrastructure around the Club, including £1m apiece on reconstructing the pitch and developing the training ground.

That's what I'd like to hear. We *have* spent the money, but not on players.

Thank you.

Which consituency do you represent ? Any politician worth his salt would be clamouring for your help because, despite the words being only two away from the piece you've picked out, there does appear to be some money spent on players. How does that fit with your 'but not on players' quote ?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 04 Sep 2008 16:54

papereyes If you genuinely can't see what was written and why, I feel sorry for you.

but the imporant thing is that the 3 players sold, do not total 23 million
which is why the whole title is so(deliberatly?) misleading

the real figures should be 10+M in, 1.4 m spent on players

or give the full outgoings and incomings, not the mismatched data he has displayed there

I completely disagree, given where the £11 million comes from and how we earned it.

I'm pretty sure that the parachute payment is not received until the END of the season following relegation. That would appear to scupper any chance of using it now without incurring more debt.

AMBERS2000

by AMBERS2000 » 04 Sep 2008 17:33

Madejski's middle finger has just risen from under his Saville Row jacket and has been thrust in the faces of the boo boys (IMO)

His explanation on the official site is a good indication of why as fans we should be very proud of our chairman. Mr Arabman for Man City and the like can buy the top and then they can all *oxford* off to a super league. I for one am happy with our chairman who saved us from being the Thames Valley Royals which would have been a disaster. There are hardly any songs that rhyme and it is one heck of a mouthful. :lol:

Kes

by Kes » 04 Sep 2008 17:35

AMBERS2000 Madejski's middle finger has just risen from under his Saville Row jacket and has been thrust in the faces of the boo boys (IMO)

His explanation on the official site is a good indication of why as fans we should be very proud of our chairman. Mr Arabman for Man City and the like can buy the top and then they can all *oxford* off to a super league. I for one am happy with our chairman who saved us from being the Thames Valley Royals which would have been a disaster. There are hardly any songs that rhyme and it is one heck of a mouthful. :lol:

have you got an S2000?

AMBERS2000

by AMBERS2000 » 04 Sep 2008 18:11

Honda -r u sure?

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 04 Sep 2008 18:17

AMBERS2000 Madejski's middle finger has just risen from under his Saville Row jacket and has been thrust in the faces of the boo boys (IMO)

Rodger Smee
Ahem, cough, cough.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 04 Sep 2008 18:40

Franchise FC
papereyes If you genuinely can't see what was written and why, I feel sorry for you.

but the imporant thing is that the 3 players sold, do not total 23 million
which is why the whole title is so(deliberatly?) misleading

the real figures should be 10+M in, 1.4 m spent on players

or give the full outgoings and incomings, not the mismatched data he has displayed there

I completely disagree, given where the £11 million comes from and how we earned it.

I'm pretty sure that the parachute payment is not received until the END of the season following relegation. That would appear to scupper any chance of using it now without incurring more debt.

I believe it's paid in two or three installments across the season, with the first part due very soon. But it is guaranteed income, so can be borrowed on, if required - but, of course, that would incur some interest.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 04 Sep 2008 18:48

:roll:

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 04 Sep 2008 20:01

AMBERS2000 I for one am happy with our chairman who saved us from being the Thames Valley Royals which would have been a disaster.

Thames Valley Royals potential merger - 1983

John Madejski becomes RFC chairman - 1990.

HTH.

Bloddy Plastics

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Sep 2008 20:03

Platypuss
AMBERS2000 I for one am happy with our chairman who saved us from being the Thames Valley Royals which would have been a disaster.

HTH.

Bloddy Plastics

Do you think he/she got the message yet?

:lol:

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 04 Sep 2008 20:04

Platypuss

HTH.

Bloddy Plastics

Even worse sycophantic plastics.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 04 Sep 2008 21:07

Obviously, if we had have become the Thames Valley Royals we'd be known as "TVR". Chants wouldn't be a problem. Infighting might.

252 posts