CONFIRMED - Glenn Little Loan move

334 posts
Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: CONFIRMED - Glenn Little Loan move

by Dirk Gently » 08 Mar 2009 17:06

Ian Royal
Dirk Gently Why don't we bring back Trevor Senior too? Or would it be too much of a backward step, bringing back someone who was a great player for us once but who is now too old, has lost whatever pace they once had and is far too injury prone?

Time moves on and players do too - accept it and live in the present, not the past!

I think there is a touch of a difference between bringing back an experienced current professional on loan who may be coming to the end of his career and a player who retired more than 10 years ago Dirk. Stupid comment.

Just an extrapolation to satirise how ridiculous I feel the reaction to this is. I remember all of last season when the vast majority of Nobbers were hung up on a collective "everything will be alright when Glenn's back-fest" - and then, when he came back, things weren't alright.

I see exactly the same happening now - but once again the returning saviour that everyone sees as being the answer to everyone's prayers just isn't the same player that he was 3 seasons ago and he never will be. It's sad, yes, and it doesn't take him away from being an RFC legend, but the past is the past and you can't go back! Face up to realities!

Quite apart from that, its such a retrograde step for the future - a slap in the face for both Kebe and Henry : "You're not good enough so we're bringing back someone who was great once but isn't any more" and if we do go up, it'll have done nothing to prepare either of them for the PL. They might as well both now slam in transfer requests - Henry especially, as the message this sends to him is quit a damning one!

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 08 Mar 2009 17:10

CAR PARK DEMO TIME....

Sidwell seems out of favour at villa just now...how about getting him back for a month...he can get match fit and we can win every game 20-0.... :mrgreen:

Right, i'm off down the stadium...anyone care to join me :roll:

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 08 Mar 2009 17:11

Dirk Gently Why don't we bring back Trevor Senior too? Or would it be too much of a backward step, bringing back someone who was a great player for us once but who is now too old, has lost whatever pace they once had and is far too injury prone?

Time moves on and players do too - accept it and live in the present, not the past!

Glen Little never did have any pace, its his trickery that gets him into crossing positions and from what I saw in his few appearences for Portsmouth hes lost none of that

BarryWhiteRFC

by BarryWhiteRFC » 08 Mar 2009 17:13

Dirk Gently
Ian Royal

I think there is a touch of a difference between bringing back an experienced current professional on loan who may be coming to the end of his career and a player who retired more than 10 years ago Dirk. Stupid comment.

Just an extrapolation to satirise how ridiculous I feel the reaction to this is. I remember all of last season when the vast majority of Nobbers were hung up on a collective "everything will be alright when Glenn's back-fest" - and then, when he came back, things weren't alright.

I see exactly the same happening now - but once again the returning saviour that everyone sees as being the answer to everyone's prayers just isn't the same player that he was 3 seasons ago and he never will be. It's sad, yes, and it doesn't take him away from being an RFC legend, but the past is the past and you can't go back! Face up to realities!

Quite apart from that, its such a retrograde step for the future - a slap in the face for both Kebe and Henry : "You're not good enough so we're bringing back someone who was great once but isn't any more" and if we do go up, it'll have done nothing to prepare either of them for the PL. They might as well both now slam in transfer requests - Henry especially, as the message this sends to him is quit a damning one!

Did you ever watch Glen play? Ever? If you did then you know that this can only be a good thing for the team / club and you're just looking for a reaction.

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 08 Mar 2009 17:14

so it just goes to show the grass isn`t always greener on the other side..how many of our record breaking squad have bettered themselves since they left?..none that I can think of!!!

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 08 Mar 2009 17:15

Chaney

Glen Little never did have any pace, its his trickery that gets him into crossing positions and from what I saw in his few appearences for Portsmouth hes lost none of that

Can't wait to see his 'trickery' on our lovely bobbly pitch :roll: Little plays on Tues has a stinker yet the majority of people will be creaming up over how the messiah has returned and everything will be rosy.... :wink:

The only thing it means is that Coppell will be forced to make at least one sub before 70mins...because if Little starts he won't last longer than 60mins max....so I guess everyone's a winner... :mrgreen:

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 08 Mar 2009 17:15

The 17 Bus Let's hope he has learned a bit after his time at Pompey, perhaps he now knows what it is like to not be first choice and waiting your chance.

Personally I think it is a backward step, but lets hope he can help us take an auto place.

Will he be illegible for any play offs??

If you mean eligible then yes. I doubt that he will be illegible though, unless .. no we won't go there.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Mar 2009 17:17

rejoice, rejoice, a wonder has occured, the messiah has returned from the south, a god among men, the white pele. Blakey has returned! Rejoice.

a good thing whether he plays or not, for the team, for kebe, and more importantly the crowd- just imagine him coming on for the last twenty minutes
and an old experienced head, with some real class

just need to play tabb on the left on tuesday, bikey for pearce, and glen, pearce, shunt and nhunt on the bench and ill be ecstatic

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Mar 2009 17:22

It's not a great deal of a slap for Henry, he's on loan getting games and scoring. Little is unlikely to be playing more than cameos which isn't what Henry needs.

He didn't need pace, his control and brain were his best assets, I expect him to offer better crossing and ball retention.

Little came back last season and played the grand total of 59 minutes (not including injury time). Bit of an over-reaction Dirk. Most people are capable of realising one player (who won't play every game, let alone every minute) won't suddenly make us world beaters.

If it was satire it was piss poor satire. He'll offer us something we don't already have on the wing, experienced intelligence.

Tango Horribly

by Tango Horribly » 08 Mar 2009 17:26

BEST
NEWS
EVER.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Mar 2009 17:27

i dont care hes old, or that he wont play whole games even, but im just really glad the idiots around me may just be sparked into singing and cheering if glens at the ground on tuesday night

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Re: RUMOUR - Glenn Little Loan move

by Terminal Boardom » 08 Mar 2009 17:38

Royal Rother Can't remember - is TB a wind-up merchant?

Pardon? What was that???

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 08 Mar 2009 17:40

What we have here is good old fashioned evidence that Jimmy Kebe is NOT good enough. Bringing back Blakey is low risk. However, like most others on here, give it a week and I will be saying that we should never have got Blakey on loan and that he is past it !!! :mrgreen:

hutch

by hutch » 08 Mar 2009 17:44

Great news, its all set up for Glenn to step off the bench around the 70 minute mark to come on and contribute some magic. What a player to have for the impact sub role for the rest of the season. Long and Little to come on and cause some havoc. At least we`re catching Brum up in the old man stakes anyway!! Great signing in my opinion.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 08 Mar 2009 17:47

I'll be happy just to see him play as you've all been bigging him up for the last year and I hardly got a chance to see what all the fuss was about.

joe999

by joe999 » 08 Mar 2009 17:50

yes please!!!

One of the best Ive ever seen in a Reading shirt!

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 08 Mar 2009 17:51

This is the best signing we have made since Omar Daley. Good news and well happy Glen is back.

Scrappy

by Scrappy » 08 Mar 2009 17:52

Admittedly you can be scepticle about the move but for both parties this surely has to be a good thing. Little has the experience of this time in the season, which is what we need right now. The wingers will play an important role between now and the end of the season and I would rather have Little in the side, someone who we know can cope under pressure, rather than Kebe who is relatively inexperienced.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Mar 2009 17:54

I'm not convinced on Little as a sub. I think he needs to start rather than come on late. If we're playing shit he's not likely to turn us around IMO. But he might be good at getting us off to the right start.

My personal preference would be start him and sub him at half time. Lets him really go for it all half and not worry about needing anything in the tank for later. He's also in before we've lost the plot and resorted to hopeful hoofball because we can't retain possession.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 08 Mar 2009 18:06

Little will start, Kebe can have impact coming off the bench, as could Hunt.

Understand what people are saying about Little last season, but I'm not sure he was fit when he came back and he had to deal with the pressure of trying to keep us up.

Seen him at Pompey, can still beat a full back easily enough.

Plus who else would we sign? Coppell won't bring anyone he doesn't know at this stage.

334 posts