Harper Appreciation Thread

234 posts
PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Harper Appreciation Thread

by PEARCEY » 05 Sep 2009 11:55

The biggest surprise about the stats is that so many players who have been at the club over the past 25 years are represented in all the all-time list. Bit odd as I would expect less club loyalty in recent times.
I also didn't realise how many times Trevor Senior played for the club.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 05 Sep 2009 12:28

PEARCEY The biggest surprise about the stats is that so many players who have been at the club over the past 25 years are represented in all the all-time list. Bit odd as I would expect less club loyalty in recent times.
I also didn't realise how many times Trevor Senior played for the club.

The reason for this might be that the League Cup (and don't forget it was 2-legged for the opening coupe of rounds recently), and Associate memebrs/Full Members competitions only came into being 1960 and 1980(?). Also, divisions went up from 42 games to 46 games per season from about 1950. So post-war players had a good deal more opportunities to make say an extra 6-10 apps per season depending on progress in the cup competitions. Over a 6 year career say, this could mean another 35-60 games played.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 05 Sep 2009 12:45

Back on page 2
Royal Lady Royalee - what do you think an APPRECIATION thread is? Go knock Harps on another one.

Royalee and anyone else who didn't rate Harps or APPRECIATE him - kindly post your comments somewhere else. :evil:

rotherwick_royal

by rotherwick_royal » 05 Sep 2009 17:22

The saying that you don't appreciate something till it's gone....I'm fully expecting him to have a storming season at Sheff U. Will be interesting to see what kind of player he is at a different club and whether he was just 'doing a job' at RFC.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 05 Sep 2009 17:56

Here you go Handbags - the list includes all league starts for our current squad, up to 4th Sept. Be careful though as it includes some dubious foreign leage games (Kebe), Scottish games (Hunt) as well as some non-league starts (Davies, Hamer etc).

Given Ingimarsson is injured, Harper is gone, Gunnarsson and Armstrong are no longer automatic starters, the players with the most league experience are McAnuff, Howard and Tabb. Next best Hunt and Rasiak.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 05 Sep 2009 18:07

Are you able to extrapolate just Championship games from that list or is it too difficult? I mean, Hamer with 110 looks impressive until you remember it was probably in Division 2 with Brentford and the difference between, say, Div 2 and the Championship is rather big!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Sep 2009 18:12

Royal Lady Are you able to extrapolate just Championship games from that list or is it too difficult? I mean, Hamer with 110 looks impressive until you remember it was probably in Division 2 with Brentford and the difference between, say, Div 2 and the Championship is rather big!

Probably worth including any Prem games as well. What about cup games?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 05 Sep 2009 18:13

I wouldn't include Cup games. I'd agree with Prem games obv.

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 05 Sep 2009 18:15

Royal Lady Are you able to extrapolate just Championship games from that list or is it too difficult? I mean, Hamer with 110 looks impressive until you remember it was probably in Division 2 with Brentford and the difference between, say, Div 2 and the Championship is rather big!

Extract.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 05 Sep 2009 18:17

LOLz - yeah and that. :wink:

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 05 Sep 2009 19:54

I can for RFC games but not currently for apps for other clubs. Will have a go and see what I can come up with.

roberto_11

by roberto_11 » 12 Sep 2009 19:39

"He didn't see as much of the ball as he would've liked due to two other central midfielders congesting the middle of the pitch, but when he did get it, he used it well and played one or two brilliant crossfield balls, and also looked solid in the tackle. I think our midfield looked brilliant today, very strong and basically impenetrable, and I don't think it's a coincidence that it looked so much better with Harper in the team. I feel there's more to come from him, especially in a 442 system.

I was sure it was him who scored the goal as well, absolutely certain, I was disappointed to find out it was Killa. F*ck off Killa. A late matchwinner on his debut would've been superb."

Quote from a Sheffiled United forum. Made me laugh, for all his qualities dont remember Harper ever tackling anyone

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 13 Sep 2009 22:38

roberto_11 "He didn't see as much of the ball as he would've liked due to two other central midfielders congesting the middle of the pitch, but when he did get it, he used it well and played one or two brilliant crossfield balls, and also looked solid in the tackle. I think our midfield looked brilliant today, very strong and basically impenetrable, and I don't think it's a coincidence that it looked so much better with Harper in the team. I feel there's more to come from him, especially in a 442 system.

I was sure it was him who scored the goal as well, absolutely certain, I was disappointed to find out it was Killa. F*ck off Killa. A late matchwinner on his debut would've been superb."

Quote from a Sheffiled United forum. Made me laugh, for all his qualities dont remember Harper ever tackling anyone

Be prepared for much more of this sort of comment

He was (is) actually a pretty good player

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 14 Sep 2009 09:39

not often, sometimes not successfully, but of course he did you wally

234 posts