Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
Tamworth_Royal
Location: She's got a tongue like an electric eel and she likes the taste of a man's tonsils.

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by Tamworth_Royal » 02 Nov 2013 23:50

The fact is BMcD took us as far as he could and they replaced like for like to appease the board.Yes they have failed us all. The crap Atkins came out with today shows he just doesn't see what the Reading fans see week in week out. We have got away with murder most games and somehow we got a result. Forget about changing him, just let this season happen as the board will. The excuses will be the same and next season we will have no cash, and owner outright and Madejski will look a savior by hanging on being a god with scissors cutting the clothe. :roll:

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 03 Nov 2013 00:39

Adkins has been average at best (so far). Brian took us beyond where we thought possible.

Brian was also level-headed, pragmatic, honest & fùcking loved Reading. He wan't perfect, but like him, I would happily sacrifice that 6% advantage in possession to get the right result...

p.s. anyone who uses 'brand of football' is a cùnt.

p.p.s. anyone who thinks Adkins has brought a better 'brand of football' is a thrushy cùnt (at best)

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 03 Nov 2013 00:47

Cureton's Volley I would happily sacrifice that 6% advantage in possession to get the right result

Totally agree, it sure worked last season didn`t it?

joeroyal

by joeroyal » 03 Nov 2013 01:23

windermere_royal
Cureton's Volley I would happily sacrifice that 6% advantage in possession to get the right result

Totally agree, it sure worked last season didn`t it?

100% and 1 % the guy is like a tramp in a refuse skip :D :D

joeroyal

by joeroyal » 03 Nov 2013 02:35

Cureton's Volley Adkins has been average at best (so far). Brian took us beyond where we thought possible.

Brian was also level-headed, pragmatic, honest & fùcking loved Reading. He wan't perfect, but like him, I would happily sacrifice that 6% advantage in possession to get the right result...

p.p.s. anyone who thinks Adkins has brought a better 'brand of football' is a thrushy cùnt (at best)

Brian won the award for the least inteligent peron to be employed by RFCFC close mind you he only just beat the parking Steward in the car park, Stu the Steward 5 votes Clueless Bri 6 but then again the both have have that stupid look about them

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 03 Nov 2013 03:36

joeroyal Brian won the award for the least inteligent peron to be employed by RFCFC close mind you he only just beat the parking Steward in the car park, Stu the Steward 5 votes Clueless Bri 6 but then again the both have have that stupid look about them

Although I suspect Brian could spell 'intelligent' and 'person' and knew how to punctuate a sentence! He managed to get a limited team to over-achieve and gain promotion to the Premier League for only the second time in our history. He did that with a direct style of football and by motivating the team and getting the best out of players like Kebe and Jobi. In the Premier League his limitations were exposed but he was Reading through and through and deserves a bit of respect! God knows he has earned it.

Zana Badawi

by Zana Badawi » 03 Nov 2013 06:21

IMO, they were both set up to fail.

McDermott was hired because SJM couldnt be bothered to go through a proper recruitment process. The fact he managed to craft a successful season when the executive board had little or no interest in the club beyond trying to sell it is a credit to the man, regardless of how unattractively we were playing when we won the league.

Adkins wasn't even our first choice. And he was hired at just the weirdest time a manager can be. The fact he was, supposedly, hired to bring a new philosophy to the club and the fact that seven months later he is managing exactly the same team, bar Wayne Bridge, tells you everything you need to know about how the club is being run nowadays. I can understand why SJM may lose interest - businessmen never really retire, but you can tell that chairman of a provincial club owned by a group that don't pay their bills isn't where he wants to be right now. But TSI? How quickly did they lose interest? To be a manager under that sort of set up - I'd be surprised if Adkins is remotely motivated. And if he isn't, the players certainly aren't. I'd be surprised if his tenureship is anything but temporary. This has Rodgers written all over it.

Normally we'd be happy being in the playoff spots. Its not only guts we lack, but heart. We want to be part of the football soap opera, not the soap opera of watching a business evolve. That's as exciting as watching a plank of wood warp against a radiator. McDermott was the fall guy for a failing company when he was sacked. Atkins will be the same when he goes. If he doesn't quit first.

The right decision? No. Not because of the relative merits of McDermott / Adkins. But whilst the club is being run so conservatively in a lacklustre manner - we might as well stick with the Reading guy. Because that would have been the only decision with any heart we've seen in the last 5 years.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 03 Nov 2013 07:33

floyd__streete
Kebe's apprentice
floyd__streete
[League 1] Peterborough 6-0 Reading [containing several internationals] - embarrassing
[Bottom of the league, winless] Sheffield Wednesday 5-2 Reading - embarrassing
"We want to be Champions.....our aim is 21 clean sheets and 100 goals" - embarrassing

We had bad results under McD, but you would not call his regime embarrassing would you?

Nothing under McD's 3 years in charge compares with the two thrashing above which Adkins has chalked up in 7 underwhelming months.

Plymouth was worse. Much worse.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 03 Nov 2013 10:17

Cureton's Volley Adkins has been average at best (so far). Brian took us beyond where we thought possible.

You short sighted mug. If we went back to high tempo 442 and got promoted we would come straight back, waste of time. You need to move on. This season was always going to be testing, especially with hardly any signings to help nigel. Some of the football this season has been awesome, progress being made, slowly. Patience is needed.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Nov 2013 12:35

LoyalRoyal22

You short sighted mug. If we went back to high tempo 442 and got promoted we would come straight back, waste of time. You need to move on. This season was always going to be testing, especially with hardly any signings to help nigel. Some of the football this season has been awesome, progress being made, slowly. Patience is needed.

I thought we had brought in new players in the summer to play this new way? Adkins has had plenty of time to get us playing the way he wants. We are sluggish and predictable and don't seem to have any mental strength. Awesome football? When? I can think of about two lots of 20 minutes when we looked like a top two team.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 03 Nov 2013 14:00

Bolton away, Derby away. Leeds home.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 03 Nov 2013 14:08

LoyalRoyal22 Bolton away, Derby away. Leeds home.

Didn't go to Bolton, we were functional over 90 mins and decent in patches at Derby, Leeds at home was a travesty of a match. If you're describing those games as demonstrations of 'awesome football' then you're deluded.

Best we've played was the first 45 against Watford. Opened up a two goal lead against decent opposition with some wonderful football. Then we got @rse-raped for the entirety of the second half as we didn't have the nous to close down a game and we ended up being relieved with a draw. Sums the Adkins reign up really.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 03 Nov 2013 14:12

The trouble is that everyone knows it was wrong of the club to get rid of Brian.

When they went head to head, Brian got the better of Adkins - it's just completely bizarre to replace him with a proven failure.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 03 Nov 2013 14:15

Bandini The trouble is that everyone knows it was wrong of the club to get rid of Brian.

When they went head to head, Brian got the better of Adkins - it's just completely bizarre to replace him with a proven failure.

and it took you 112 pages to post that? proven failure?? f*cking hell you lot are priceless

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 03 Nov 2013 14:22

floyd__streete

Didn't go to Bolton, we were functional over 90 mins and decent in patches at Derby, Leeds at home was a travesty of a match. If you're describing those games as demonstrations of 'awesome football' then you're deluded.

Best we've played was the first 45 against Watford. Opened up a two goal lead against decent opposition with some wonderful football. Then we got @rse-raped for the entirety of the second half as we didn't have the nous to close down a game and we ended up being relieved with a draw. Sums the Adkins reign up really.

Leeds home wasn't awesome but we controlled game with 433 with short passing football and eventually got what we deserved.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 03 Nov 2013 14:47

At least we could defend under McDermott, and we could also enjoy the camaraderie with Brian - he was Reading through and through. Adkins couldn't care less, as proven yesterday.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 03 Nov 2013 14:51

LoyalRoyal22
floyd__streete

Leeds home wasn't awesome but we controlled game with 433 with short passing football and eventually got what we deserved.

Did we fcuk, it was a midfield battle that had 0-0 written all over it until that free kick.
Last edited by sandman on 03 Nov 2013 14:59, edited 1 time in total.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Nov 2013 14:52

not sure what your definition of awesome is but it appears to be radically different to mine. Floyd is spot on about Watford, Adkins team lacks any sort of mental strength or it seems ability to play his tactics.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 03 Nov 2013 15:03

Leeds were the worst team I seen this season. Brian's outdated tactics made me cringe.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 03 Nov 2013 15:09

leon

not sure what your definition of awesome is but it appears to be radically different to mine. Floyd is spot on about Watford, Adkins team lacks any sort of mental strength or it seems ability to play his tactics.

Also I meant we were awesome in patches of those games. Not a full 90 all season. But we playing differently so will take time.

3714 posts