Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by winchester_royal » 08 Nov 2013 14:41

Extended-Phenotype Again, we are 5th and have only lost twice. Okay, the football has yet to evolve to where we want it to be but surely the man needs time? After all, isn't that what the Adkins-Out Crew wanted for McD?

Quite. One of the key points that the Brianites like to make is that even though the style we played under him wasn't always gr8 at least we won games. He was a pragmatist. I'm not sure how they can then go on to criticise Adkins when we're 5th in the league and unbeaten at home this season tbh. Especially when you compare this start to the one we made 2 and 3 years ago.

I'll be honest, I'm pretty underwhelmed with the progress we're making. I haven't seen much of the evolution that I thought there would be, and there hasn't been an integration of academy players on the scale that I hoped for. However to suggest that NA should be under any sort of pressure given the position we're sitting in is lunacy.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 08 Nov 2013 15:09

winchester_royal Especially when you compare this start to the one we made 2 and 3 years ago.

3 years ago we were 1 point and 1 place worse off than we are at this stage.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 08 Nov 2013 15:15

floyd__streete
Extended-Phenotype Again, we are 5th and have only lost twice.

You are BANG WRONG we've lost THREE times. You're a disgrace, spinning things to back up Adkins :!: Because you're in LOVE with him :!:

That's a bit rich coming from someone still w*nking over a manager that left over 8 months ago

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 08 Nov 2013 15:16

windermere_royal
floyd__streete

You are BANG WRONG we've lost THREE times. You're a disgrace, spinning things to back up Adkins :!: Because you're in LOVE with him :!:

That's a bit rich coming from someone still w*nking over a manager that left over 8 months ago

Yeah I was trying to be light-hearted m8. I know it wasn't very successful and I won't be trying it again any time soon.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 08 Nov 2013 15:17

:D

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 08 Nov 2013 15:27

floyd__streete

Damn you, Street! You may have won this time but I'll be back and in greater numbers! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 08 Nov 2013 15:57

floyd__streete
winchester_royal Especially when you compare this start to the one we made 2 and 3 years ago.

3 years ago we were 1 point and 1 place worse off than we are at this stage.

Exactly.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 08 Nov 2013 17:17

Best moment in Reading's history:

...since this one:

...and before that, this one:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 08 Nov 2013 17:24

I like the picture of Brian being given the 'trampoline' treatment by the players. For one thing, it reminds me of Rodgers getting similar treatment when winning the play-off with Swansea the year before and I like to think that the players saw that celebration and wanted a similar one of their own, just like Coppell said the inspiration for 05/06's acheivements came from watching Wigan celebrate against us. For another thing, it reminds me of the team spirit which took that modest side so far.....something Brian himself ruined in signing arrogant twats like Guthrie.

I should probably stop harking back to old times. Thing is, I enjoyed them and felt some connection with the club.....something which is badly lacking now.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Nov 2013 17:30

floyd__streete I like the picture of Brian being given the 'trampoline' treatment by the players. For one thing, it reminds me of Rodgers getting similar treatment when winning the play-off with Swansea the year before and I like to think that the players saw that celebration and wanted a similar one of their own, just like Coppell said the inspiration for 05/06's acheivements came from watching Wigan celebrate against us. For another thing, it reminds me of the team spirit which took that modest side so far.....something Brian himself ruined in signing arrogant twats like Guthrie.

I should probably stop harking back to old times. Thing is, I enjoyed them and felt some connection with the club.....something which is badly lacking now.

This.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 08 Nov 2013 17:32

it's no different, really.

Nobody gave a f/ck back then, nobody gives a f/ck now. Players and managers just doing their jobs for whatever club will have 'em.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 08 Nov 2013 17:40

Cureton's Volley Best moment in Reading's history:

...since this one:

...and before that, this one:

You weren't there

Were you?

I was there, I was there

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 08 Nov 2013 17:41

Extended-Phenotype it's no different, really.

Nobody gave a f/ck back then, nobody gives a f/ck now. Players and managers just doing their jobs for whatever club will have 'em.

Yeah, sentimental old twat aren't I.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 08 Nov 2013 18:21

winchester_royal
Extended-Phenotype Again, we are 5th and have only lost twice. Okay, the football has yet to evolve to where we want it to be but surely the man needs time? After all, isn't that what the Adkins-Out Crew wanted for McD?

Quite. One of the key points that the Brianites like to make is that even though the style we played under him wasn't always gr8 at least we won games. He was a pragmatist. I'm not sure how they can then go on to criticise Adkins when we're 5th in the league and unbeaten at home this season tbh. Especially when you compare this start to the one we made 2 and 3 years ago.

I'll be honest, I'm pretty underwhelmed with the progress we're making. I haven't seen much of the evolution that I thought there would be, and there hasn't been an integration of academy players on the scale that I hoped for. However to suggest that NA should be under any sort of pressure given the position we're sitting in is lunacy.

He should not be under any pressure, but with this impulsive Russian owner he could go at any time.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 08 Nov 2013 18:45

facaldaqui
winchester_royal

He should not be under any pressure, but with this impulsive Russian owner he could go at any time.

I've seen very little to suggest that we have an impulsive, irrational lunatic as a majority owner tbh

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 08 Nov 2013 18:53

winchester_royal
I've seen very little to suggest that we have an impulsive, irrational lunatic as a majority owner tbh

You don't have to be an irrational lunatic to be impulsive. I hope it will not be the case with Anton, but sometimes these foreign owners like to chop and change managers in search of success. If he defines automatic promotion as success, that is starting to look unlikely already; and he could get restless. I am not saying he will, but if I were Adkins I would not count my chickens.

I thought it was a shame Brian did not see the sack coming. It would have been better practice by Anton to have led up to it, perhaps by discussing targets and consequences with Brian, as non-football employers might do. He could have told Brian he had a month to turn it around, or that he had to beat Wigan and Villa at home to keep his job. He did not do that, so either he acted impulsively in sacking him or for some reason planned it in secret.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 08 Nov 2013 19:38

The difference is he'd earned the time, ten times over.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 08 Nov 2013 20:03

Man Friday

Yep, and so has Adkins with what he's already achieved at other clubs and the fact that we're 5th in the table.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Nov 2013 20:17

The awkward moment when you realise you're closer in points to 18th in the table than 1st.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 08 Nov 2013 20:34

winchester_royal
Man Friday

Yep, and so has Adkins with what he's already achieved at other clubs and the fact that we're 5th in the table.

Seriously comparing 5th in the table with 10 seasons at our football club including 3 years as manager, and within those 3 years winning the Championship? Plus you don't "earn" credit elsewhere. FFS.

3714 posts