Confimred new owners of Raeding Footbal Club

8685 posts
Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Buyout

by Agent Balti » 03 Feb 2014 18:26

Only in that our style of play is no different than we went up the last time...and look how that turned out? Granted, it sounds like picking and choosing but we've been playing akin to dogshit until recently and we're still in the play-offs, so I don't think it's as impossible as it sounds.

That gravy train is only good if we can stay there and sustain, otherwise it's just turmoil...and we're in turmoil off the field already.

I dunno, as I said earlier, if it happened then cool...but I don't think we're ready in most aspects.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Feb 2014 19:57

Vision
Extended-Phenotype
Agent Balti But for arguments sake we do go up (with new owners to boot) they have such a short window of opportunity to change things. Are we not at risk of doing a half-arsed job (some may say "again") of being prepared to go up? The new owners could want to bring in their own manager and screw things up completely.

I don't see the lure of going up ill-prepared, making stupid signings, get humiliated week in week out and come right back down again...albeit with parachute payments. Sure, I get that the players would want to get promoted and will play to that effect. If the takeover doesn't happen AFTER we've been promoted...Then the squad would be altered radically with no time to gel, for us to get turned over, leading to the squad being wrecked again and be where we were at the start of this season. No ta.

If we stay as we are, we can build next year, be a lot more solid on what our goals are (currently, we are winging it, let's face it.) And have a genuine solid plan on how we want to proceed. Crossing our fingers, hoping we go up with no strategy, as we are now, is a crap scenario.

It's my reckoning that going up, you get a few decent players in who are then more likely to stick about if you go down, at least for a season to see if they can bump you back up again. In the meantime, you will be a healthy club to join, bit of 'chute money to spend on new players or on existing players wages to keep 'em about, recent prem history to boast of and ambition to return. Promotion is like two steps forward and relegation is one step back - each yo-yo an improvement.

Yet if you fail that bounce, good players get itchier and want out, not willing to waste another season out of the top flight. Operating with less money, you are less likely to be able to keep the good ones or afford decent new ones. Top flight a more distant memory, the club drops from the radar a little more, ambition is questioned, quality is in doubt - not as an attractive prospect any more. Other teams with 'chute money come down and are the new big fish in the small pond. Becomes harder to challenge. Takes more of a miracle/fluke/lucky season/lucky signing(s) to get anywhere. Foot off the gass, the opportunity of reputation, position and wealth well and truly missed.

I'm not sure how you are supposed to sensibly build over time above and beyond a threshold of quality. In my mind, you are more likely to build a decent side bouncing up and down than treading water.

I'd agree with a lot of that. Whilst I'm no fan of the whole Premier league circus to suggest there's somehow a bad time to get promoted is a little odd. Football is far more "instant" these days and the opportunity to actually build something with the nucleus of the same players over time (as we did to 05/06) is harder than ever.

That said, rather conversely the reason I think promotion can only be a good thing is because we don't really push the boat out too far when we get there thus avoiding the absolutel panic and heebeegeebees that other relegated clubs suffer.

My profound and extremely well thought out and considered contribution to this topic is that I always thought that the hebejebes had a "j" and not a "g".

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 03 Feb 2014 20:12

Agent Balti Only in that our style of play is no different than we went up the last time...and look how that turned out? Granted, it sounds like picking and choosing but we've been playing akin to dogshit until recently and we're still in the play-offs, so I don't think it's as impossible as it sounds.

That gravy train is only good if we can stay there and sustain, otherwise it's just turmoil...and we're in turmoil off the field already.

I dunno, as I said earlier, if it happened then cool...but I don't think we're ready in most aspects.

You don't have to stay there to benefit from promotion. Like I said, promotion & immediate relegation is better for the club than no promotion at all.

But you are yummy looking so I don't want to disagree with you that much.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 03 Feb 2014 20:25

Why don't you look at me the way you look at him?

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 03 Feb 2014 20:30

Agent Balti Only in that our style of play is no different than we went up the last time...and look how that turned out? Granted, it sounds like picking and choosing but we've been playing akin to dogshit until recently and we're still in the play-offs, so I don't think it's as impossible as it sounds.

If Reading are in turmoil, where does that leave Leeds?

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 03 Feb 2014 21:03

That's easy; they're in a clusterfuck.

In terms of "things you can be in", it goes: a pickle >>>> turmoil >>>> crisis >>>> a shitstorm >>>> a clusterfuck >>>> meLOLtdown.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 03 Feb 2014 21:39

Maguire Absolute madness to claim it's better not to get promoted. It's so hard to go up that the very idea of picking and choosing when to do so is lolable.

And in what possible way would it be bad? That we get a few beating when we're up there? Boo hoo.

Get promoted ASAP and get on that Premier Legaue gravy train - will make a huge difference to the status of the club.

It really is this simple

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 03 Feb 2014 21:42

Pepe the Horseman Why don't you look at me the way you look at him?

Cos I'm such a dish, innit. Don't get all bhaji about it, Peps.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 04 Feb 2014 05:34

SPARTA If SJM is still here and the club isn't sold by summer then there will most definitely be a sale of 3-4 high earners. SJM followed the same template when we were relegated from the PL the last time. Keep the squad together at an expense and hope we go back up. If we don't, sell to balance the books. It wont be Zingarevich's fault we sell; it'll be the sensible decision!

It may even happen with new owners.

However some of those players Hunt and Doyle for sure only stayed as SC remained as manager for that season. This time no one wanted our high earners, Pog etc.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Feb 2014 09:31

Extended-Phenotype

You don't have to stay there to benefit from promotion. Like I said, promotion & immediate relegation is better for the club than no promotion at all.

But you are yummy looking so I don't want to disagree with you that much.

Financially it might be better, but in terms of developing a sound squad and 'footballing philosophy' going up sooner rather than later isn't necessarily better. Southampton and Swansea both benefitted from having a few years bedding in a successful side and style of play outside of the Premier League. They lost the odd successful player but, because they didn't go up, they also kept the majority of their squad together and are reaping the benefits now.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 04 Feb 2014 09:37

Harpers So Solid Crew
SPARTA If SJM is still here and the club isn't sold by summer then there will most definitely be a sale of 3-4 high earners. SJM followed the same template when we were relegated from the PL the last time. Keep the squad together at an expense and hope we go back up. If we don't, sell to balance the books. It wont be Zingarevich's fault we sell; it'll be the sensible decision!

It may even happen with new owners.

However some of those players Hunt and Doyle for sure only stayed as SC remained as manager for that season. This time no one wanted our high earners, Pog etc.

Not sure I agree with that. Both Hunt and Doyle were given new bumper deals to keep them happy and a promise if we didn't go back up we would allow them to go.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 04 Feb 2014 09:56

What's this got to with the topic of 'buyout''?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 04 Feb 2014 10:15

Coppell, Hunt and Doyle are part of the consortium that are looking to takeover the club. Keep up.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 04 Feb 2014 10:32

Royalwaster What's this got to with the topic of 'buyout''?

Sorry, that's my fault; I put an opinion post up that the takeover was - imo and not itk at all - unlikely to happen before the end of the season, and then suggested that promotion this season might not be in the long term interests of the club.

From now on I'll stick to what so many have done on this thread and put up "look at me!!" troll posts pretending to have the inside track on the inner workings of SJM, AZ, TSI, the Omani Royal family, The Saudi Royal family, any number of American multi millionaires and of course, Gyfi Siggurdsson.

That is all.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 04 Feb 2014 15:23

Yeppers and we would back on track soon enough.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Feb 2014 19:30

Rumour mill in the 'bridge that the delay's because the Omani's want it part of the deal that there'll be no booze sold in the stadium. While the yanks want to enforce ad breaks every 15 minutes for McDonalds, Budweiser and Slendertone.

This is where the third interested party in the Chinese has come in with a better deal. They're offering a cost saving initiative that reduces repeat hooliganism by taking anyone ejected by the stewards and using them for the hotdog meat. Interestingly they're selling it to STAR as an improvement in overall food quality and hygeine. STAR are obviously right behind this new bid because the Chinese have actually spoken to them.

Unfortunately this has set back negtiations somewhat.

Howzat?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Feb 2014 19:37

Ian Royal Rumour mill in the 'bridge that the delay's because the Omani's want it part of the deal that there'll be no booze sold in the stadium. While the yanks want to enforce ad breaks every 15 minutes for McDonalds, Budweiser and Slendertone.

This is where the third interested party in the Chinese has come in with a better deal. They're offering a cost saving initiative that reduces repeat hooliganism by taking anyone ejected by the stewards and using them for the hotdog meat. Interestingly they're selling it to STAR as an improvement in overall food quality and hygeine. STAR are obviously right behind this new bid because the Chinese have actually spoken to them.

Unfortunately this has set back negtiations somewhat.

Howzat?
no change there then.

loyalroyaldaz

by loyalroyaldaz » 05 Feb 2014 07:08

Well according to old JM in the Chronicle this week there is no buyout any time soon.
He has brought out the old "Deep Pockets" line again.
WTF is going on? Three bidders and Zilch......

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 05 Feb 2014 07:27

no real point in getting promoted this season then is there? if it happens there will be ZERO investment, and total humiliation week in week out, looks like no light at the end of this tunnel, yes we come a very long way under JM, but looks like we hit the buffers

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 05 Feb 2014 08:16

loyalroyaldaz WTF is going on? Three bidders and Zilch......

You've never sold anything have you?

8685 posts