Failure to buy a striker

280 posts
facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Failure to buy a striker

by facaldaqui » 13 Dec 2010 16:16

Hoop Blah Totally agree on the 05/06 team being the result of a lot of work over the previous few seasons. I've said many a time how it was a team built by Pardew and taken on to that level by Coppell (who I think stumbled across the winning mix to an extent). All the time that side was being built we were improving though, and that's all I ask for my club, to look like they're at least trying to improve if not actually doing it.

I'm not sure that Coppell stumbled into a winning mix: when Forster was injured he bought Lita, and that meant we had good options up front. He worked out that we needed to up the squad after the nearly nearly performance the previous season. Hopefully Madejski and McDermott will see that that needs to happen again if we are to move up an octive.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 13 Dec 2010 16:23

facaldaqui
Hoop Blah Totally agree on the 05/06 team being the result of a lot of work over the previous few seasons. I've said many a time how it was a team built by Pardew and taken on to that level by Coppell (who I think stumbled across the winning mix to an extent). All the time that side was being built we were improving though, and that's all I ask for my club, to look like they're at least trying to improve if not actually doing it.

I'm not sure that Coppell stumbled into a winning mix: when Forster was injured he bought Lita, and that meant we had good options up front. He worked out that we needed to up the squad after the nearly nearly performance the previous season. Hopefully Madejski and McDermott will see that that needs to happen again if we are to move up an octive.

And that season he also had a decade's worth of luck with injuries. Not just the fact that not many key players got injuries, but also that when they did it always coincided with a replacement becoming fit again. We always had 2 out of Doyle, Kitson & Lita fit, but never all of them, so there were tantrums about not playing. Ditto with the back four.

It was a small squad and teh cards always seemed to fall the right way for us. Let's face it, FFS, he got full seasons out of both Little & Murty!

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 13 Dec 2010 16:24

facaldaqui

Lita was bought after Forster was sold.

I think that's exactly what will happen at the end of the season, we'll evaluate and make moves from there. Everyone in the current squad is under contract until at least the end of 2012 (with the exception of Fedders, Ivar and Gunnar) so there's no real rush to succeed especially as we're now financially stable thanks to the Sig sale. It makes total sense for the club to give this squad a full season to show its strengths and weaknesses rather then panic buy on the off chance we sneak into the playoffs.

under the tin

by under the tin » 13 Dec 2010 16:30

Wimb I'd agree to an extent that Madejski clearly isn't bankrolling the club to the tune he was a few years ago but I'd say it's down to perception about whether we're still spending at comparable levels.

Madejski isn't bankrolling the club at all. He is in a different financial situation to years ago. His money is tied up trying to support businesses in his portfolio that actually can make money!
The club has to generate its own transfer budget, and that is why Brian has a far tougher job than any of the predecessors you mentioned.

That point apart, I fully agree with everything you said there.
The problem is, you are preaching to the converted. I, like you, "have been there and done that" years ago in the lower leagues with RFC.
I'm committed. So are most who post on here, but we're not the answer to the club's long term viability. There aren't enough of us.(and that's where I came in originally, with RoyalBlue)
Reading do not have a worldwide profile, or a glorious past to trade on, so the club has to build its fanbase itself.
Many, within the club, and on here like playing the "look at the books" card. That's fair enough, I understand that, I do my company's accounts myself, but I also know that business costs only form part of the overall picture.
Even before I went out on my own, I was selling stuff for more years than I care to remember.
Put simply, if costs exceed sales, then you can either a) cut costs b) increase sales c) do both.
My point is that the club, (in the person of JM) is very good at telling the world and its dog that costs must be cut, and is rigorously implementing cost cutting. This has manifested itself in the sale of most of the club's stellar playing assets.
I put it to you that as humans, we all make a value judgements. Land Rover are bucking the trend in the car industry. Sales are up. as are profits.
Do you think that would have been achieved had they closed their engine plant down, and put a Mahindra engine in instead?
The floating (or fairweather supporters, if you prefer) only read the headlines. They don't post on here, they don't know that HRK is a full Wales international, but they read that Doyle has gone, so has Shorey, etc. Do you get my point now? What is there to encourage these fairweathers back? The club reckon knocking a few quid off the replica shirts, making the odd game "bring a mate" will work, but I believe that initiatives like that are a drop in the ocean when measured against the negative messages given by the sale of stars, and a make do mentality.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 13 Dec 2010 16:31

Wimb

I'm sure somebody did get injured just before Lita was bought. Was it Kitson, then?

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 13 Dec 2010 16:32

facaldaqui
Wimb

I'm sure somebody did get injured just before Lita was bought. Was it Kitson, then?

Nope, you're thinking of Forster coming in when Butler got injured (I think... ).

Lita was bought in the summer before promotion.

Ferris
Hob Nob Regular

by Ferris » 13 Dec 2010 16:34

Svlad Cjelli
facaldaqui
Wimb

Nope, you're thinking of Forster coming in when Butler got injured (I think... ).

Although Kitson did start the season injured.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 13 Dec 2010 16:35

Svlad Cjelli
facaldaqui
Wimb

Cureton was bought when Forster got injured didn't he... this could go on a while :D

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular

by Svlad Cjelli » 13 Dec 2010 16:37

Wimb Cureton was bought when Forster got injured didn't he... this could go on a while :D

yeah, that's what I meant. I knew one of Buts or Cureton was a replacement for an injured Forster .

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 Dec 2010 16:39

Svlad Cjelli
Snowball Would it not be fair to say that poor old McDermott is still fire-fighting?

He really needs to know that we've finished selling, or that A and B are going so he can line up alternatives.

He's building a side but he probably thinks he'll lose Kebe, McAnuff, maybe Karacan

I'd be giving Antonio 10-20 minutes cos he's one of very few possibilities for "future-star"

He knows categorically that he doesn't have to sell anyone else.

That depends on how we define "have to"

if we were offered more three £3M for Kebe, or £2M for McAnuff?

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular

by Svlad Cjelli » 13 Dec 2010 16:41

Snowball
Svlad Cjelli
Snowball Would it not be fair to say that poor old McDermott is still fire-fighting?

He really needs to know that we've finished selling, or that A and B are going so he can line up alternatives.

He's building a side but he probably thinks he'll lose Kebe, McAnuff, maybe Karacan

I'd be giving Antonio 10-20 minutes cos he's one of very few possibilities for "future-star"

Every player has a price above which the club will listen to offers and all the player to talk to the interested club, so yes, ultimately every player could be sold - but that's the same at all clubs.

But if anyone is sold in that BMc will get all of the money for a replacement.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Dec 2010 17:33

Svlad Cjelli
facaldaqui

And that season he also had a decade's worth of luck with injuries. Not just the fact that not many key players got injuries, but also that when they did it always coincided with a replacement becoming fit again. We always had 2 out of Doyle, Kitson & Lita fit, but never all of them, so there were tantrums about not playing. Ditto with the back four.

It was a small squad and teh cards always seemed to fall the right way for us. Let's face it, FFS, he got full seasons out of both Little & Murty!

It was certainly with a huge slice of luck that we went through the season as we did.

The reason I say he stumbled on the winning formula is because at times he didn't know why things were working or why they weren't. I'm sure he knew what he wanted, and tweaked the existing squad perfectly to get a great blend of youth, experience, athletic power and technical and creative ability that made an excellently balanced side.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Dec 2010 17:56

Coppell was good at building towards a plan until it came off. He then wasn't so good at maintaining that or building on it further once he had to start replacing some of the key parts.

McDermott came in and did a greatjob turning us around. But I'm seeing worrying signs that he's not so great at building a coherant team around a good strategy. It's relatively early days and he has been crippled to a certain extent by Rodgers calamitous management and Coppell's failures towards the end, but I'm still seeing the same problems we had under Rodgers in terms of having a squad of decent players who don't form a workable system and few of McDermott's signings have done much to point us in the right direction.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 Dec 2010 18:06

LoyalRoyalFan The season could be over by January.

You mean we'll be safe from relegation?

RESULT!

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 13 Dec 2010 18:07

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 Dec 2010 18:10

Ian, I wonder if it's just that too many managers have got scared of 4-4-2 Mac (maybe) being one?

We look ready-made for 4-4-2. I think virtually all the squad would be OK with it.

Maybe we'de get the ball taken off us by a few Swansea's but how many more games would we win rather than draw.

I think Elwood is here to allow us to play more 4-4-2. I hope so.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Dec 2010 18:14

It wasn't especially funny the first time Slammed. You really need a sense of humour transplant.

Snowball - we've played 4-4-2 in the last three or four games. It hasn't been a roaring success has it!

We're mainly set up for 4-5-1 but without a good attacking midfielder for the hole or a decent striker who can play up front alone and score.

We have three strikers to play one of the upfront roles in a 4-4-2, a light weight non-creative central midfield, wingers who aren't at their best getting to the byline and putting in good crosses and full backs who aren't particularly good at overlapping. Individually none of these things are particularly troubling. It's all of them together that cause the problems.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 Dec 2010 18:18

yes, but the thing is, expecting us to continue to improve afterf relegation is asking a tad much.

its about stabilisation. then back to improvements later

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 Dec 2010 18:18

Ian Royal It wasn't especially funny the first time Slammed. You really need a sense of humour transplant.

Snowball - we've played 4-4-2 in the last three or four games. It hasn't been a roaring success has it!

I missed this weekend's game but I don't think we've been playing an out and out 4-4-2 up to then at least.

Don't know about Coventry, but Leeds for example, when were Hunt and Long within shouting distance of each other?

They play like they are trying to remember HOW TO PLAY 4-4-2

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 Dec 2010 18:20

Snowball
Svlad Cjelli

3 million for kebe?! oxf*rd off!

its 10 if its a penny

280 posts