Back from the game-saints

273 posts
melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Back from the game-saints

by melonhead » 28 Oct 2011 14:19

Hoop Blah
melonhead ...blamed for goals that were nothing to do with him, and highlighted whenever he does anything that many of our other players do on a game by game basis without much comment.
if that aint scapegoating, i dunno what is.

Other players have also been blamed for goals that have been nothing to do with them as well though. HNA posters in getting it wrong shocker?

I think the only person to blame Mills for the far post header was Finerain because he didn't get the fact that Mills job from the freekick was to mark someone else.

I still don't think it's scapegoating because other players have been criticised as well. It's not like he's the only one being blamed over the last 3 or 4 games. If it was then I'd agree.

Pearce has been pulled up for being slow and out of position, so has Gorks. Legiertwood has been criticised for poor performances before the last game or two, McAnuff slatted for some ineffective games and leadership, Church for being powderpuff and lacking any ruthlessness infront of goal, Kebe for looking less and less interested as time goes by, Robson-Kanu for not getting involved, Karacan for giving the ball away etc etc.

I think the only player who's not had criticism recently has been Le Fondre, and that's because he's played well.

Mills has been the point of discussion on this thread because he's had a poor run of form in some aspects of his game. Some have defended him, rightly in some aspects (eg his lasck of culpability for the Derby goal), but also needlessly at times which has lengthened the debate and then brought about the 'scapegoating' claims.

Play badly, make mistakes = negative comments.

not that i care,
and you, and i can believe what we want,
and everyone is probably guilty of viewing comments in context coloured by their own view of the player, and the board
but even without all that,hes very clearly born the brunt of most of the complaints about the last three(and more) games.and many/most have picked him as our "worst" player, on here as well as on BBCRB after the game

i dont see him having played particularly badly in the last three games, or others before that tbf. yes- he makes mistakes, crosses are over hit sometimes, passes are misplaced sometimes. but he has done equal ammounts of good stuff. and i think he deserves a bit more leeway than hes been given

you probably disagree.

the end.
Last edited by melonhead on 28 Oct 2011 14:36, edited 1 time in total.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 28 Oct 2011 14:26

Extended-Phenotype
Ian Royal
melonhead

is that anyway near what i was saying? :roll:
i just said i hated it, & asked the question how audibly moaning helps the player improve?

general indication of the descent of our society towards anarchy as everyone is always instantly looking for a figure of blame and has no patience or sense of perspective.

Or maybe a glaringly obvious indication that if people get sh/te for their money, they complain.

Get paid a professional wage, do a professional job. While your busy conducting an unjustifiably stupid violin concerto for millionaires who can’t kick a ball in an intentional direction, plumbers are being shouted at for flooding houses, train drivers are being sworn at for being late and canteen staff are getting earache because I expect at least some chicken in a f/ chicken salad sandwich.

How much a week? Right, pass the f/ ball correctly. Pretty f/ please.

thats a perfect case in point, thankyou
- last three home games drawn against teams who are up the top, all been playing very well and tipped for playoffs/promotion.
the games have been hugely entertaining,
we have dominated most of all three,
put the oppo in all three under alot of pressure,
scored goals,
played attacking football,
tried to play the ball more on the deck and less down the channels/percentages,
and have only really fallen down by switching off defensively a few times.
only 1 of which was mills'"fault" though he was in the correct position, very close to his man, was fouled, and the bloke just got a toe on the ball ahead of him.
at the same time, he has been instrumental in our attacking formation and play.
looking to get forward alot to support his winger,
and seeing a huge ammount of the ball,
put some great balls to peoples feet, and onto peoples heads in the box, and outside it.

yet you seem to think this justifys saying we are getting "shite for our money", and that mills has been less than a decent proffesional.

go figure.

& lol.

especiallly at the ludicrous idea that mills is somehow a millionaire.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Oct 2011 14:43

This is the level of complaint when we go unbeaten in 7 games
including games against the two sides currently 1st and 2nd, and
against 6th and away to Burnley, a side many predicted for top 6.

This is almost a brand-new back 4 with 3 kids playing, two of those kids (FB) who should radically improve if supported

We have HRK, another kid, Church, another kid. Those 6 could be twice as good in 30 games' time if they
get the playing time, if they get support... Our keeper is young for a keeper, too, and le Fondre is just 24.

Don't just look at "average age". We have three older players, McAnuff, Gorks, Elwood, bringing some
experience, buit otherwise that 11 is very young, and doing pretty well now they've settled down and
are starting to gel some more.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 28 Oct 2011 14:46

Hoop Blah
I think the only person to blame Mills for the far post header was Finerain because he didn't get the fact that Mills job from the freekick was to mark someone else.

No....I didn't blame him at all, I just said I found it stupid that you have a defender staying outside the 18 yard box when you are defending a free kick. It wasn't his fault at all if he's been instructed to do that, im just saying its stupid having midfielder with little to no defensive capabilities marking the dangermen...one of whom casually ran in at the far post and put it in.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 28 Oct 2011 15:05

probably quite sensible to put our biggest men, on their biggest man, and not let one of our smaller/slighter guys mark them though
so not that stupid

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 28 Oct 2011 15:10

melonhead probably quite sensible to put our biggest men, on their biggest man, and not let one of our smaller/slighter guys mark them though
so not that stupid

Theo Robinson is 5.9 the same height as joe mills. So that point is invalid.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Oct 2011 15:21

melonhead but even without all that,hes very clearly born the brunt of most of the complaints about the last three(and more) games.and many/most have picked him as our "worst" player, on here as well as on BBCRB after the game

i dont see him having played particularly badly in the last three games, or others before that tbf.

I don't disagree that he's done some good stuff, I've never said otherwise and I've said I think the positives he brings in terms of joining in the attack and being a lot more athletic are quite important.

I probably do think he's been one of our worst players over the last 3 games though, but we've not had anyone have real shockers within that time.

Who do you think has been worse then?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Oct 2011 15:23

FiNeRaIn
Hoop Blah

No....I didn't blame him at all, I just said I found it stupid that you have a defender staying outside the 18 yard box when you are defending a free kick. It wasn't his fault at all if he's been instructed to do that, im just saying its stupid having midfielder with little to no defensive capabilities marking the dangermen...one of whom casually ran in at the far post and put it in.

Which midfielder are you talking about? It can't be Liegertwood as he's basically a defensive midfielder with plenty of defensive ability and is probably why he's played at the back quite a bit during his career.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 28 Oct 2011 16:03

CatLemon:

Do note that I was talking generally, and about fans moaning when something goes wrong – not complaining when there isn’t anything to complain about, or J. Mills specifically. If you wanna check, I was actually one of those standing up for Mills, and I also don’t have a problem with our performances of late.

I stand by my statement that fans will, and have every right to moan, if somebody screws up. Footballers shouldn’t be bubblewrapped anymore than the rest of us.

We'd boo a comedian that doesn't make us laugh - so don't be throwing a blanket around a footballer and smoothing his hair when he gets pulled up for falling over a football.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 28 Oct 2011 18:31

Hoop Blah
melonhead but even without all that,hes very clearly born the brunt of most of the complaints about the last three(and more) games.and many/most have picked him as our "worst" player, on here as well as on BBCRB after the game

i dont see him having played particularly badly in the last three games, or others before that tbf.

I don't disagree that he's done some good stuff, I've never said otherwise and I've said I think the positives he brings in terms of joining in the attack and being a lot more athletic are quite important.
I probably do think he's been one of our worst players over the last 3 games though, but we've not had anyone have real shockers within that time.

Who do you think has been worse then?

excellent. good..

dont think anyones had a bad game as such, would give him roughly same score as any of our non stellar performers (like ledge, jem,gorkss,pearce, adam etc)
HRK was worse last game, cummings maybe too, kebe definitely, & mcanuff in previous games
but no ones had a bad enough game to deserve the ridiclous stick mills has got on here and on t' radio
not that you have been particlulary responsible for either.

and stop picking on me, im a sensitive flower

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 28 Oct 2011 18:34

Extended-Phenotype CatLemon:

Do note that I was talking generally, and about fans moaning when something goes wrong – not complaining when there isn’t anything to complain about, or J. Mills specifically. If you wanna check, I was actually one of those standing up for Mills, and I also don’t have a problem with our performances of late.

I stand by my statement that fans will, and have every right to moan, if somebody screws up. Footballers shouldn’t be bubblewrapped anymore than the rest of us.

We'd boo a comedian that doesn't make us laugh - so don't be throwing a blanket around a footballer and smoothing his hair when he gets pulled up for falling over a football.

i dont boo a comedian, id just not laugh, then if it went on for too long id leave.

i didnt argue they have the right to moan and groan,my point i just cant see it helping the team/player.

ive never seen mills fall over the ball(like kebe has for instance) though i have seen him pass it to the advertising hoarding.my point is that he has had undeserved and misplaced stick, not really that he shouldnt get any.
im glad you are supporting mills.

hoorah.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Oct 2011 19:43

Was at the game, thought Mills played pretty well, esp going forward
and wasn't even a tiny bit responsible for the goal.

About 30 seconds before the goal Pearce heads clear when Federici has called for the ball (Feds is furious)

Instead of Feds launching another attack we are defending.

The biggest culprit for the goal is HRK. A really BIG go-to-sleep mistake.

Second at fault is Gorks for getting involved with Pearce and the Southampton attacker (who did brilliantly)

Had Gorks simply "covered any mistake" it would almost certainly have been a different result

And Pearce maybe should've done better...

Next Cummings, who at least gets to the player but sells himself badly. Hard to really blame him tho...

It was a goal from then on, but maybe Feds could have rushed the player and stood up a bit more

Mills had been with his man, who in the situation he HAD to mark

So I agree, take out the midfield who couldn't get possession, Pearce for not letting the
first ball go to Feds, HRK for going to sleep, Pearce for being beaten by the CF, Gorks
for getting sucked in stupidly, and Cummings for being suckered, and Feds for not being
perfect, it was all Mills' fault

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Oct 2011 19:44

BTW, watch the replay and see just how much great work Mills did.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Oct 2011 20:26

Hoop Blah
Ian Royal general indication of the descent of our society towards anarchy as everyone is always instantly looking for a figure of blame and has no patience or sense of perspective.

Or that any honest appraisal, constructive criticism/comment or realism is seen as harsh bullying and picking on individuals because we're breeding generations of weak minded and over sensitive lefties who can't accept a few home truths.

I don't see any scapegoating going on, just comment about a perceived weakness. It's not singling him out but suggesting where we have room for improvement on an individial or team basis. Why is that always seen as such a bad thing.

I ain't got a problem with you. It's the people banging on about him being awful and a total liability I have an issue with.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Oct 2011 21:35

Not total scapegoating but plenty of OTT comments

Posted again for posterity

MmmMonsterMunch, 22 Oct 2011 19:10
We need a new LB. Sorry but Mills was useless. Sorry but he was absolutely awful. Terrible set pieces & awful defending. I would actually put Harte back in or try Griff at LB.

FineRain
He was utter, utter useless and about 90% of the texters into BBRCB also confirmed this.

Royal Blue
Neither Mills nor Harte is good enough if we seriously want to push for promotion.

CayenneMatt
Mills is costing us. Yes, he has energy, and he's good at getting forward. But he can't pass, he's continually under hitting, over hitting or missing it altogether. And my 9 yr old can read the game better. He was marginally better this evening than on Tuesday, and yes, i was at both games. BM needs to get Harte back in ASAP, now we're playing better, Harte's pace should be less exposed. If Harte is a non-starter then we need a loanee.

SCIAG

Mills 6 - not his best game. The shot at the end was unbelievable.

Loyalroyal4life.

I think we do need a new left back especially since Mills set pieces were awful!

Tony le Mesmer
As for the LB debate, Mills is out of his depth. END OF. I can understand why Harte was dropped, poor start to the season, but that was next to a poor CB partnership that left him totally exposed. Hes a bit of a luxury player with his lack of pace, but we have Gorks now at LCB and its time to bring him back. He is in a different league to Mills and should be a shoe in to replace him once our run ends.

Upper West Ginger
echo the sentiments about Mills being out of his depth. I keep hoping and expecting him to improve, but there is no evidence of it yet.

M-U-R-T-Y
Mills 5 - Nervy, and could've thrown the remnants of my pie at him when he elected to shoot in the last minute.

The Rouge, 22 Oct 2011 22:27
MmmMonsterMunch wrote:Sorry but he was absolutely awful. Terrible set pieces & awful defending. I would actually put Harte back in or try Griff at LB.

Agreed. Left back is a real issue for us.

I have been positive about 98% of Reading players, bit I am sure neither Mills nor Harte are what we need at LB.. We have a problem there - and I expect McDermott to address this in Jan. Please.

Barry the Bird Boggler

I have to agree with this, I think he (Mills) was plainly to blame for their equaliser (not spotting nor going with the obvious run from De Ridder) and his distribution was poor. That said I think it would be better not to have Kanu in front of him as he is also too inexperienced....

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Mills and Hal Robosn Kanu (HRK) were missing and not are simply good enough.

Harte should come in for Mills now

Focher
1st time ive seen Mills and thought he looked every part a Dr Martins league 4 player.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 28 Oct 2011 22:36

Yes, all those people are wrong and the 3/4 of you who adamently support him...even going as far as to say he'll be better than shorey ( :lol: ) are all correct.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Oct 2011 22:50

FiNeRaIn Yes, all those people are wrong and the 3/4 of you who adamently support him...even going as far as to say he'll be better than shorey ( :lol: ) are all correct.

Time will tell.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 30 Oct 2011 21:54

Thought he (Mills) was pretty good on Saturday
A definite improvement from the last game and very few mistakes.
Surely most people would say he was at least ok?

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 30 Oct 2011 22:15

^^
Which Saturday are you talking about - last Saturday against Saints when he did at least OK or this Saturday against Palace when he was very good

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 31 Oct 2011 10:04

FiNeRaIn Yes, all those people are wrong and the 3/4 of you who adamently support him...even going as far as to say he'll be better than shorey ( :lol: ) are all correct.

:roll:

273 posts