Danny Guthrie - Refusing To Travel

464 posts
Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Danny Guthrie - Refusing To Travel

by Maguire » 12 Dec 2012 12:27

melonhead hes become better with every game he hasnt played

in their deperation to look to blame it all on brian, suddenly alex pearce and danny guthrie have become maldini and maradona

Exactly. The beauty is that the same people praising him to the hilt would be the first person to slag him off were he to have a bad game.

And whilst i'm here - I'd keep McDermott even if we go down. Fukk it, fly in the face of all the nonsense perceived wisdom that exists in football and show a bit of loyalty.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Dec 2012 12:28

*fist bump*

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 12 Dec 2012 12:32

RoyalinBracknell According to Fridays_legacy on twitter, Jason Roberts also had a go at McDermott after Saturday's match. Makes you question whether Roberts's absence was an injury or an 'injury'.

According to Friday's legacy and his pals Spurs didn't speak to Gylfi in the summer so excuse me if I don't believe a word of it. Maybe if you got bigmike to confirm...
Last edited by sandman on 12 Dec 2012 12:34, edited 1 time in total.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 12 Dec 2012 12:32

Maguire

in their deperation to look to blame it all on brian, suddenly alex pearce and danny guthrie have become maldini and maradona

Exactly. The beauty is that the same people praising him to the hilt would be the first person to slag him off were he to have a bad game.

And whilst i'm here - I'd keep McDermott even if we go down. Fukk it, fly in the face of all the nonsense perceived wisdom that exists in football and show a bit of loyalty.

Plus it would give all the recent additions onto the board coronaries which should inhibit their posting somewhat (hopefully).

I'm firmly in this camp. Brian deserves at the very least a transfer window to try and sort things out. If there's no funds available then even Alex Ferguson couldn't keep us up.

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 12 Dec 2012 12:42

I don't have any problems with Brian staying but you cannot look at the Guthrie situation in isolation, as we have had a number of personnel 'issues' this season already. I am not sure if this Brian's inexperience, are we really saying all the issues are down to the players and could not have been handled better? The problems at this club are more fundamental than whether the Messiah got on the plane to Sunderland or not. Personally, I think he would have been left on the bench or brought on when Samuel was yesterday so whilst I think Guthrie was a twat for not going, this whole argument is leading us down a side lane away from more fundamental problems that exist within the set up.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 12 Dec 2012 12:44

Maguire

Obvious co-sign

Esteban

by Esteban » 12 Dec 2012 12:45

melonhead
Royal Lady if he persists in playing his favourites and freezing out anyone who dares to have an opinion.

:|

despite everything guthrie wasnt frozen out, he wanted him involved, he was on the bench as soon as he was even close to fitness.

as for favourites-other than the player who refused to be involved and who has only just come back from injury, the only other player he has had to call upon for the misfiring CMs is gunarsson. who i love. but i dont really want playing CM in th eprem for us.
apart from ledge who hasnt been dropped for the reason above, everyone of tghe other players whio are supposedly his "favourites" have been dropped this season.
which is why i think your opinion is misguided.
i understand it. youre frustrated, and angry, and want to lash out at someone,to blame someone, to do something, anything, just to change things. but you are lashing out widly at people who dont deserve it, and calling for actions that arent warranted or rational imo.

This 100%.

I don't think anybody is looking to defend the things that McDermott can affect. He's made plenty of mistakes this season and maybe dropping Guthrie was one of them, we'll never know. But Guthrie's reaction is bang out of order, whichever way you look at it, and cannot be defended. McDermott's disastrous season so far is a different issue entirely.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 12 Dec 2012 12:46

There does appear to be some systematic fcking up from the outset this season. Maybe it's just symptomatic of the group/individuals feeling the pressure.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 12 Dec 2012 13:51

Fcuk off Guthrie, you trouble-making, over-rated, nobody.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 12 Dec 2012 14:00

People can (quite rightly) question the performances of Guthrie in the first few games.

However compared to the shit being churned out by Leigertwood atm they were like watching the best of Xavi/Viera/Iniesta/Keane all rolled into one.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 12 Dec 2012 14:05

Do you think he really said "my head's not right?" - like Federici was really "injured"?

If he did say it, isn't that a brave thing to do? Shouldn't McD have investigated the reasons why he felt his head "wasn't right" - rather than just telling the media what an awful bloke he was?

Two sides to every story, but I doubt Guthrie will be allowed to give his.

Reading West

by Reading West » 12 Dec 2012 14:15

it would have been interesting to see Guthrie employed in a midfield "5" as the Chelsea game infront of Legs/Tabb but with Roberts(if fit) as the lone striker holding the ball, the 442 is woefully not working but is constantly being employed for the last umpteen games.

If as seems the case that McD hasn't the players to effectively execute the system he wants the team to play, then he has to somehow find a system to effectively utilise the players he has which would include Guthrie. But alas after yesterday that may never happen. :cry:

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 12 Dec 2012 14:15

Royal Lady Do you think he really said "my head's not right?" - like Federici was really "injured"?

If he did say it, isn't that a brave thing to do? Shouldn't McD have investigated the reasons why he felt his head "wasn't right" - rather than just telling the media what an awful bloke he was?

Two sides to every story, but I doubt Guthrie will be allowed to give his.

Even if he confirmed he did say/text this it would be thrown out by the twitterati (or should that be twatterati?) because he was probably forced to say it.

People believe what they want to believe to fit their version of events. I'm the same. I just don't see the point of endlessly banging on about it. It's like a schoolyard 12 year old girlie bitching session. And for that reason....

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 12 Dec 2012 14:25

Where and how has Brian told the media (i.e. the World) what an awful bloke Guthrie is, RL? I imagine that anything Brian has to say to Guthrie will be said in private.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 12 Dec 2012 14:37

Maguire
winchester_royal Refusing to travel all the way up to Sunderland just to sit on a freezing cold bench for 2 hours makes him a piece of shit person?

BOO HOO IT'S HIS oxf*rd JOB

at the end of the day McDermott has given him absolutely no reason to be loyal to either him or the club.

THEY PAY HIS oxf*rd WAGES!

I hate my job but I don't just decide not to log on one morning because I feel like my bosses aren't supporting me [they're not]

Guys an idiot, get shot of him.

Completely agree with you Mags. He earns 35k a week, what a complete and utter oxf*rd.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 12 Dec 2012 14:46

The Prisoner This is starting to look and feel a lot like 2007-8 when we went down. Players refusing to play, big signings not feeling that they are getting a chance, blind faith in personnel and systems which aren't working. A feeling that this league, it's personalities and finances are just too much for us.

If you listen to the BBC interview (link posted earlier) McD genuinely sounds sincere, saddened, very emotional and (sadly) out of his depth.

It seems that Guthrie texted to apologise (which suggests that the fault lies with him, but who knows).

The reaction to last night is pivotal. I honestly don't think McD will get the push or walk. He needs to get everyone in a conference room somewhere today (away from Hogwarts), behind closed doors, and thrash out what is going wrong. There are senior players in the team who need to have their say, and clearly some people who need to explain their actions. I would also include some of the "injured" players in there. Clear the air. Regroup. And if necessary tell some characters to get with the program or stay away pending a compromise agreement or January move.

The one thing I felt we would be this season is hard to beat and honest, and that this would make up for a lack of talent. Our work ethic is being undermined by all sorts of issues, which is leaving our lack of talent totally exposed. Whatever factions there are within the team need addressing head on. We can't "move on" from last night's white flag without it.

Very good post ^^^^

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 12 Dec 2012 14:53

Yep. But McD is doing a bad job this season Brenders.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 12 Dec 2012 15:04

Rumpole I've been thinking on this all day, and now I just want Guthrie out of the club.

Firstly he creates such a horrible atmosphere in the dressing room that poor Church has to go play his football elsewhere, just for being a little different; and now he refuses to play for the team that pays his wages.

oxf*rd him, get out.

Yep, and although McD is doing a bad job managing him, Guthrie's just a sly, nasty bastard who shouldn't be at the club.

It's like having a regular poker session and a guest who's never been round before comes in, throws a strop when they're not the centre of attention and then acts offensively towards the host.

Get the twat out.
Last edited by Archie's penalty on 12 Dec 2012 15:06, edited 1 time in total.

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 12 Dec 2012 15:05

Esteban I wonder what the reaction would be on here if, say, Pogrebnyak had refused to play? Because everybody seems to think that Guthrie is our saviour, there's a lot of sympathy for him. Pogrebnyak would probably be faced with a lynch mob. Ipso facto I guess.

Guthrie has only been dropped, a fate that has befallen Pogrebnyak, Federici, Hunt, McCleary, Gunter, Cummings, Harte, Gorkss and Pearce so far this season and yet none of them have refused to travel anywhere.

Guthrie harshly treated? Not for me. See Florent Malouda for someone who has been properly frozen out and harshly treated by their club.

For me its not a case of him being our saviour, its that he's the only player I can pin my hopes on because he can PASS a ball. Something we so severely lack.

We don't have the luxury of freezing out a player. We need as many players available as possible with as much PL experience on the pitch as well.

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 12 Dec 2012 15:16

Ideal
Royal91 he's the only player I can pin my hopes on because he can PASS a ball

Oh here we go again! I seem to remember after some of his matches earlier people were moaning their guts out about how he ONLY PASSED THE BALL TO THE OPPONENTS all the oxf*rd time!

The little turd isn't as good as you lot try to make him out to be, he isn't the new Paul Merson/Gary McAllister/Gazza/Gullit, he is a distinctly average player of quite limited ability.

Unfair assessment from both of you. Hasn't been given a chance.

464 posts