SIGNED - Stephen Kelly

308 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: SIGNED - Stephen Kelly

by Ian Royal » 12 Jan 2013 12:31

Woodcote Royal
Barry the bird boggler So what's the consensus here chaps? Should we get excited about a 29 year old who has managed 44 apps for Fulham in 3 years - just 2 this season - (overall 196 apps in 10 years) and hasn't scored since 04/05

Some of you need to wake up and smell the coffee.

The other night, I watched the 2nd half of Coventry v Preston slugging it out for a trip to Wembley in the Johnstone Paint Trophy :|

When I first started reading this board, in the late 90's, one of these clubs had been established in the top flight for years whilst the other was also far bigger than us with a past involving the likes of Tom Finny that we could only dream of. These days, they are in the lower leagues playing to thousands of empty seats in grounds that are at least the equal of our own.

But, nothing changes with our legions of carping supporters who are never happy with their lot. They were moaning back then about our "tight" Chairman and "lack of ambition" and were still crying like babies with the same complaints when we signed players like Doyle and Kitson for shirt buttons and YES! plenty said "Why should we get excited about these unknown players :evil: "

Frankly, to even ask this question regarding Kelly's signing displays a poor understanding of the game not to mention a pathetic detachment from reality.

Fulham are an established top flight club and, as such will have a number of second choices who are very good players that have spent most of their season on the bench or in the stand. Now, this may come as a shock, but by the time we reach this transfer window some of these players have decided that they are willing to move on for 1st team football.

Back on planet earth, the fact that a 29 year old right back with 32 caps for Ireland has elected to join a Premiership club that was relegated weeks ago, according to many of its' own whinging fans, should be seen as an excellent attempt at plugging the weakest link in our defense but given the levels of utter nonsense posted here in recent months, I won't be holding my breath.
Very rare good post from Woodcote there.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 12 Jan 2013 12:32

The problem was BM/NH believing that the likes of Gunter and McCleary were any better than what we already had and in having too much faith in the likes of Gorkks and Leigertwood.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 12 Jan 2013 12:33

southbank1871 The problem was BM/NH believing that the likes of Gunter and McCleary were any better than what we already had and in having too much faith in the likes of Gorkks and Leigertwood.

Absolutely.

It was a mistake by Mcdermott more than NH though, from a lack of experience.

Personally now think we should let him learn from it. He's already bought to replace him which is a positive sign.

Or rather, bought to replace Tabb. As Leigertwood is till a better player than Tabb so is the better back up (lets be honest there)

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Jan 2013 12:36

ZacNaloen
southbank1871 The problem was BM/NH believing that the likes of Gunter and McCleary were any better than what we already had and in having too much faith in the likes of Gorkks and Leigertwood.

Absolutely.

It was a mistake by Mcdermott, from a lack of experience.

Personally now thing we should let him learn from it. He's already bought to replace him which is a positive sign.

Mainly agree, don't think McCleary was brought in as better than Kebe, but as better than Antonio as PL capable back-up. Unfortunately, Jimmy has wanted to be a bit more injured than Brian would like.

Gunter's the only one who's been a big disappointment in terms of his actual quality for what he was brought in for. IMO.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 12 Jan 2013 12:41

ZacNaloen

Absolutely.

It was a mistake by Mcdermott more than NH though, from a lack of experience.

Personally now think we should let him learn from it. He's already bought to replace him which is a positive sign.

Or rather, bought to replace Tabb. As Leigertwood is till a better player than Tabb so is the better back up (lets be honest there)

Everyone makes bum signings from time to time. Gunter and McClearly were two of the best right-sided players in the Championship and i'd argue that top end Champ players were exactly the sort of players we should have been after.

Gunter looked very sharp when we played Forest in the promotion game (McCleary didn't play IIRC).

I don't think it's really a lack of experience that's caused this particular problem, just that the players in question haven't adapted as well/aren't as good as we expected. Jury's still out on McCleary anyway - he's shown flashes.

davis69

by davis69 » 12 Jan 2013 18:01

I take it all back Gunter is garbage and Signing Kelly is a good thing :lol: :lol: :lol:

joeroyal

by joeroyal » 12 Jan 2013 23:12

davis69 I take it all back Gunter is garbage and Signing Kelly is a good thing :lol: :lol: :lol:

May i ask was you or have you ever been a victim of any kind of abuse in your short term life, as there seems to be a problem, seek help urgently

joeroyal

by joeroyal » 12 Jan 2013 23:13

davis69 I take it all back Gunter is garbage and Signing Kelly is a good thing :lol: :lol: :lol:

May i ask was you or have you ever been a victim of any kind of abuse in your short term life, as there seems to be a problem, seek help urgently

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 12 Jan 2013 23:22

No Fixed Abode
Royal Lady Having seen a pic of Kelly holding a Reading shirt, I'd like to thank McD for bringing us ladies some eye candy for once. He'll be getting my full support. Phwoarrr. etc.

So you think he's eye candy and you go out with Schards :|

No comment. So another case of settling. lol.

davis69

by davis69 » 12 Jan 2013 23:24

You may ask and the answer is no. If you thought Gunter wasnt garbage today you need help you bellend

joeroyal

by joeroyal » 12 Jan 2013 23:41

davis69 You may ask and the answer is no. If you thought Gunter wasnt garbage today you need help you bellend

Wait till you see Oap Kelly !!!!!

joeroyal

by joeroyal » 12 Jan 2013 23:48

72 bus Gunter the *unter can do one, absolute toilet right back

Was that your family i met in the Xhit house with a begging bowel asking for loose change to fund your internet addiction you poor soul your mum looked very stressed as some guy joked with her

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 13 Jan 2013 15:36

Been very disappointed with Gunter myself, Kelly can only improve us.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 14 Jan 2013 15:55

Well this guys been useless

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 14 Jan 2013 16:10

Does anyone know what we paid yet? Normally a bit of research brings up the fee amount but I cannot find anything.

The only figure I have seen anywhere is 1.3M but that sounds high bearing in mind that Fulham seemed keen to get him off the books (presumably to save a wage).

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 14 Jan 2013 16:11

wtdf is mcdermot doing signing this guy if hes not gunna play him wtd is the point just anouver sign that were going down and were nt going to do a think bout it. Bald tosser. any1 who disagrees is a bellend.

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 14 Jan 2013 16:13

RobRoyal wtdf is mcdermot doing signing this guy if hes not gunna play him wtd is the point just anouver sign that were going down and were nt going to do a think bout it. Bald tosser. any1 who disagrees is a bellend.

U R sooooo rite fella!!!!!

Croydon Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Croydon Royal » 14 Jan 2013 16:17

Woodcote Royal
Barry the bird boggler So what's the consensus here chaps? Should we get excited about a 29 year old who has managed 44 apps for Fulham in 3 years - just 2 this season - (overall 196 apps in 10 years) and hasn't scored since 04/05

The other night, I watched the 2nd half of Coventry v Preston slugging it out for a trip to Wembley in the Johnstone Paint Trophy :|

When I first started reading this board, in the late 90's, one of these clubs had been established in the top flight for years whilst the other was also far bigger than us with a past involving the likes of Tom Finny that we could only dream of. These days, they are in the lower leagues playing to thousands of empty seats in grounds that are at least the equal of our own.

But, nothing changes with our legions of carping supporters who are never happy with their lot. They were moaning back then about our "tight" Chairman and "lack of ambition" and were still crying like babies with the same complaints when we signed players like Doyle and Kitson for shirt buttons and YES! plenty said "Why should we get excited about these unknown players :evil: "

Frankly, to even ask this question regarding Kelly's signing displays a poor understanding of the game not to mention a pathetic detachment from reality.

Fulham are an established top flight club and, as such will have a number of second choices who are very good players that have spent most of their season on the bench or in the stand. Now, this may come as a shock, but by the time we reach this transfer window some of these players have decided that they are willing to move on for 1st team football.

Back on planet earth, the fact that a 29 year old right back with 32 caps for Ireland has elected to join a Premiership club that was relegated weeks ago, according to many of its' own whinging fans, should be seen as an excellent attempt at plugging the weakest link in our defense but given the levels of utter nonsense posted here in recent months, I won't be holding my breath.

An excellent post. Not sure there's anything to add, other than I watched the 1st half of the aforementioned Coventry v Preston game, and if I ever moan again about the quality of the football that I'm watching at the Madejski this season, then just remind me of that 45 minutes. It really was dire.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 14 Jan 2013 16:23

Croydon Royal
Woodcote Royal

An excellent post. Not sure there's anything to add, other than I watched the 1st half of the aforementioned Coventry v Preston game, and if I ever moan again about the quality of the football that I'm watching at the Madejski this season, then just remind me of that 45 minutes. It really was dire.

IT wasn't that good!

+1 to everything else though.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 19 Jan 2013 00:36

Bit of a quiet signing this, not the usual RFC media song and dance. Eclipsed by the WBA win? Maybe. Anyone any idea if he's traveled to Tyne & Wear?

308 posts