Adkins - Pros and Cons

847 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Adkins - Pros and Cons

by Ian Royal » 18 Oct 2014 13:10

Maybe you should try watching us today to see that's not what we do.

Forest Gump

by Forest Gump » 18 Oct 2014 17:06

While I don't dislike Adkins preferred style of play I think he is incapable of building a team good enough to execute it and after a terrible run of six games time is definitely running out.

Hopefully gone are the old Reading ways of putting up with mediocrity to the point that it has become an embarrassment.
I hope that the new owners - remember Madejski should no longer have a say - will realise that unless some effort is put into this Club they will have wasted their money.

I think a change of manager, at this point could only be beneficial. Look at many other clubs; Southampton (twice), Derby, Watford (umpteen times) have changed their coach and are all enjoying a renaissance after what appeared to be premature clear-outs.

Consistency may be a virtue but not when you are consistently this bad.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 18 Oct 2014 17:33

Pros: it'll be a couple of quid cheaper to watch Reading in League 1 next season.

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

by super darren caskey » 18 Oct 2014 17:36

Forest Gump I think a change of manager, at this point could only be beneficial

1+

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 18 Oct 2014 17:59

and another plus one from me, please.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 18 Oct 2014 18:06

Do you really think the Thais will act? They hardly seem very dynamic too me. And Adkins is far too arrogant to resign.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 18 Oct 2014 18:22

floyd__streete Adkins is far too arrogant to resign.

He has a perma tan to pay for.

Not cheap you know

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 18 Oct 2014 18:35

At least the highly vocal 'Adkins out' minority are happy tonight.

We have seen a succession of very capable managers eventually fail at RFC and there has, IMO, been one common factor underlying their failure - a lack of adequate and sensible investment in the playing squad at times when it really has been needed.

The lack of realistic alternative options open to Adkins in defence and defensive midfield is absolutely ludicrous. The chances of any other manager being successful with the resources available at this time (assuming anyone decent would want the job) are extremely small.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 18 Oct 2014 19:21

RoyalBlue At least the highly vocal 'Adkins out' minority are happy tonight.

We have seen a succession of very capable managers eventually fail at RFC and there has, IMO, been one common factor underlying their failure - a lack of adequate and sensible investment in the playing squad at times when it really has been needed.

The lack of realistic alternative options open to Adkins in defence and defensive midfield is absolutely ludicrous. The chances of any other manager being successful with the resources available at this time (assuming anyone decent would want the job) are extremely small.

we definately do need need intelligent comments on this thread. leave it to the knob heads

Dave_Kitson

by Dave_Kitson » 18 Oct 2014 19:26

At least we will get a fixture against Swind*n next season....

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 18 Oct 2014 19:33

Dave_Kitson At least we will get a fixture against Swind*n next season....

Very true, they could well get promoted

Zana Badawi

by Zana Badawi » 18 Oct 2014 19:44

RoyalBlue At least the highly vocal 'Adkins out' minority are happy tonight.

If we put aside the fact NA brought in nearly half a first XI at the last window, and instead say that its NAs job to play with the hand he's been given. Do you think he's the best man for the job?

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 19 Oct 2014 05:05

Think I'm leaning towards a change of manager now TBH. For whatever reason it's just not working for him here which is a huge shame as I wanted him to do well.

Think the fans have been patient actually. It's been what 20 months since he started? You can blame ownership issues all you like but 1 win in 6 from that squad? Nah sorry not good enough.

Watching Reading these days is akin to going off to Sierra Leone to deal with Ebola.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 19 Oct 2014 05:08

Incidentally I think he'll get the rest of the season unless the fans start showing their discontent at matches.

No doubt him and Crosby are on bumper Anton wages and we can't afford to sack them.

Zana Badawi

by Zana Badawi » 19 Oct 2014 06:44

I think its only a matter of time.
He's previously been protected by his league position, but 16th and beneath Rotherham is a totally different ballgame. Makes everyone twitchy.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Oct 2014 07:46

Lose to Blackpool and seriously, let's get rid.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 19 Oct 2014 08:56

I`m looking forward to board meltdown on Tuesday night, but to my knowledge fans have never sacked a manager.
However I`m sure anything less than a win next Saturday will surely make the board review his position . I don`t want to see us as another Leeds, sacking managers at the drop of an hat . he needs to be given time to turn this around, so we are letting goals in . 9 in four games is it?
So are the Wolves fans calling for their managers head having let in 11 in the same period?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 19 Oct 2014 09:17

Very interesting insight by Adie Williams on Adkins ultra sensitive attitude in post match interviews. Takes offence at even the slightest criticism and if you press him too much he will likely walk out of interviews.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 19 Oct 2014 11:46

Keep. But then I haven't called for a manager's head since Terry the Taxi. We need a bit of patience. With Williams, Karacan and McCleary back fit we will be a different proposition. In the meantime we are marking time. Many said it at the start of the season. Losing 3-0 at home and x number of games without a win start to increase the pressure. I expect more after Tuesday.

Under McD in 2011 we had 5 defeats in a row and were 23rd in the table after losing 2-0 at home to Watford. The joy of the Championship is things can turn around pretty quick.

mumbo-jumbo

by mumbo-jumbo » 19 Oct 2014 12:08

I too am not one for sacking managers as knee jerk reactions and without being given a very fair chance. I acknowledge the injury list has been shocking, and there has been much discussion on here about why so many injuries are happening in training (fitness/training techniques?) I also realise his purchasing abilities have been restricted in each transfer window ( though that's not to say he hasn't been able to buy anybody.)

My reasons for feeling it is time Nigel considers moving elsewhere are two fold - one practical and one more 'emotional' if you like.

Firstly from a practical point of view. It hardly seems the new owners are an ambitious bunch of folk. They are possibly more interested in the infrastructure attached to the club than in the club itself. Certainly it seems they are happy to enjoy a family club in an affluent area. geographically close to London etc and enjoying the ride along the way. Therefore, if we are to continue to build our squad mainly around bringing through our youngsters, then why not allow Eamonn Dolan to do that job, who surely knows the youngsters better than anybody? We are hardly vying for a place in Europe and I believe we will remain in this league this season, whoever is at the helm.

Secondly, I feel the fans and players never will take to Nigel. Mr Adkins is never going to feel like 'our man'. He will never be a Brian ( love him or hate him, he felt like ours ) or a Steve Coppell. He is always going to feel distant/defensive/cliche ridden. He's a decent chap I'm sure, but he just doesn't feel like he belongs to Reading or truly cares about the club, and I'm not convinced he ever will. That for me, as a long standing supporter of a family club, is important. I think the fans need to relate to the manager, win or lose, through bad runs of form as well as good, and with Nigel I'm not convinced they ever will.

847 posts