Confrimed - Abbey and Holmes going

548 posts
WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Confrimed - Abbey and Holmes going

by WestYorksRoyal » 26 Jan 2024 16:33

Some random on Twitter claiming to be a journo reporting that McIntyre is about to join Portsmouth on a free :lol: :lol:

Total bollocks. Do we know if Portsmouth need a CB? And obviously we're not giving players away for free (except NGW who was light years away from the team). Amazing how many idiots are biting and getting outraged about it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jan 2024 16:57

Yeah though he IS ooc and on a free in the summer isn’t he? So that really could be a low price

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 26 Jan 2024 17:16

I wouldn’t be surprised if TMac does leave on a free as he hasn’t featured that much this season. Also, we’ll be saving money on his wages.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 26 Jan 2024 17:20

blythspartan I wouldn’t be surprised if TMac does leave on a free as he hasn’t featured that much this season. Also, we’ll be saving money on his wages.

I mean, he has been injured for pretty much the whole season up until recently.

If his contract is up at the end of the season, there will be a fee.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 26 Jan 2024 17:56

ITK Eddie has chipped in:

I also heard that Portsmouth are after Tmac a few weeks ago

https://twitter.com/RFCLatest/status/17 ... -4ulQ&s=19

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jan 2024 18:55

blythspartan I wouldn’t be surprised if TMac does leave on a free as he hasn’t featured that much this season. Also, we’ll be saving money on his wages.

He was Selles go to cover for CB, LB and DM after the Vale scapegoating until he got injured.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 26 Jan 2024 18:57

Lots of stuff online about TMac going for free. Seriously are things so bad we would release a player such as him just to save his wage for a few months. If so the insane owner really must want us relegated.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 26 Jan 2024 19:18

andrew1957 Lots of stuff online about TMac going for free. Seriously are things so bad we would release a player such as him just to save his wage for a few months. If so the insane owner really must want us relegated.

I'd buy this if we have a replacement lined up. He's not played hardly this season and has always been injury prone.

Given when he signed his last deal, and decent championship clubs were after him at the time (Blackburn, Preston) he could well be the highest earner at the club now.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jan 2024 19:47

Yeah does seem to be something in it

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Jan 2024 21:50

Again with TMc it just makes sense to move on.

He's 25, a top earner but not first choice anywhere along the back line or midfield now. Given he was 1st choice at a higher level, I doubt he us thrilled with that either.

We still have enough to pull together a decent defence, with back up, and he cld well be injured again soon plus will almost certainly be off in 4 months anyway.

So yeah, a fee would be nice but if we save 10k pm on wages, then deal prob makes sense.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jan 2024 21:54

Be a real shame with Holmes off at the end of the season. Back to being extremely inexperienced at CB except Dean - who is rightly nowhere these days.

I do think Bindon and Dorsett have the potential to be a pretty epic pairing in future though.

McIntyre going leaves us pretty darn light.

It puts Carson in at LB very quickly and whilst he has potential he hasn't looked ready.

Given our CB numbers at the start of the season, it does make the signing of Dean look absolute nonsense if we have to lose McIntyre for free to save on wages.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Jan 2024 22:19

Mc is a reasonably big hitter amongst the squad and the staff (including the lower-lights like the ground staff), an affable player who interacts with all and sundry in his employment….unlike the many ignorant twats in our line-ups of recent years.

As a player tho’ he won’t particularly be missed for all of the above reasons you lot have already posted….a shame tho’

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 26 Jan 2024 22:54

Across the back it leaves us Yiadom, Mbengue, Abrefa, Dean, Bindon, Holmes, Dorsett and Carson. So not short in numbers terms, and Yiadom, Mbengue and Dorsett are all versatile. Hutchinson and Senga on the fringes for CDM too.

But it's definitely a massive hit to our depth nonetheless. Dean is woeful, Mbengue is error prone and inconsistent, Carson isn't ready, Abrefa is inexperienced and coming back from a big injury. So we're now 1 injury away from a notable drop off in standard which wasn't the case with McIntyre.

And also agree with sentiments that McIntyre is a character you want around. To be honest, since 2012 or so our academy is just one big story of wasted talent. Produced so many good players for such little benefit.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 26 Jan 2024 22:59

Snowflake Royal Be a real shame with Holmes off at the end of the season. Back to being extremely inexperienced at CB except Dean - who is rightly nowhere these days.

I do think Bindon and Dorsett have the potential to be a pretty epic pairing in future though.

It puts Carson in at LB very quickly and whilst he has potential he hasn't looked ready.

Given our CB numbers at the start of the season, it does make the signing of Dean look absolute nonsense if we have to lose McIntyre for free to save on wages.

If the ownership situation is sorted for next season, we'll need to recruit defenders, but I'd definitely support prioritising a LB and moving Dorsett into the middle. It's so hard to judge players early in their careers, but I think he should become a Championship player.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 26 Jan 2024 23:10

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal Be a real shame with Holmes off at the end of the season. Back to being extremely inexperienced at CB except Dean - who is rightly nowhere these days.

If the ownership situation is sorted for next season, we'll need to recruit defenders, but I'd definitely support prioritising a LB and moving Dorsett into the middle. It's so hard to judge players early in their careers, but I think he should become a Championship player.

If we can get a natural left back in the squad this window then i have no issues whatsoever with this move. Dorsett would revert back to CB which is his natural position and i really could see him becoming a better CB than Abbey.
TMac is a steady CB but has no pace and is injury prone and let's not forget his and Holmes record with our defense these past few years!! Both are very likeable homegrown players but, both still probably have that losing mentality with being with us for the past three seasons!!!
We also have Mbengue whom many of us think CB is his best position as a decent backup, which would allow Abrefa to back up Yiadom in his natural position.
Carson is a decent LB and i still believe the only reason he got roasted was due to Selles tactics and persistance with the flawed 4-2-2-2 formation earlier in the season.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 27 Jan 2024 03:54

Stranded Again with TMc it just makes sense to move on.

He's 25, a top earner but not first choice anywhere along the back line or midfield now. Given he was 1st choice at a higher level, I doubt he us thrilled with that either.

We still have enough to pull together a decent defence, with back up, and he cld well be injured again soon plus will almost certainly be off in 4 months anyway.

So yeah, a fee would be nice but if we save 10k pm on wages, then deal prob makes sense.

He certainly isn't. Selles rushed him into full training after his concussion which he felt got him injured again, so he was upset with that. Also I saw him going straight down the tunnel on Tuesday instead of being out there with the others.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Jan 2024 06:16

Orion1871
Stranded Again with TMc it just makes sense to move on.

He certainly isn't. Selles rushed him into full training after his concussion which he felt got him injured again, so he was upset with that. Also I saw him going straight down the tunnel on Tuesday instead of being out there with the others.

Well, if he stays he certainly won't be rushed into the team. May just be right for all parties. Today will show if it is likely to happen, doubt he'll be involved if v.close to going.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jan 2024 11:39

Crowbar6753
WestYorksRoyal

If we can get a natural left back in the squad this window then i have no issues whatsoever with this move. Dorsett would revert back to CB which is his natural position and i really could see him becoming a better CB than Abbey.
TMac is a steady CB but has no pace and is injury prone and let's not forget his and Holmes record with our defense these past few years!! Both are very likeable homegrown players but, both still probably have that losing mentality with being with us for the past three seasons!!!
We also have Mbengue whom many of us think CB is his best position as a decent backup, which would allow Abrefa to back up Yiadom in his natural position.
Carson is a decent LB and i still believe the only reason he got roasted was due to Selles tactics and persistance with the flawed 4-2-2-2 formation earlier in the season.

Nah Carson had bigger problems than just the tactics. He was bullied physically, and under pressure he crumbled with his passing going to pot. Especially in front of hostile home crowds away.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 27 Jan 2024 13:46

Pictures of TMac in the squad today. So not so imminent that he's been left out.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Jan 2024 15:08

WestYorksRoyal Pictures of TMac in the squad today. So not so imminent that he's been left out.

Nothing settled yet on his proposed move to Pompey then.

548 posts