NO LONGER A RUMOUR - Alan Bennett

342 posts
nivek elyod

by nivek elyod » 26 Jan 2007 18:35

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe To be honest I think if it hadn't been for the Sonko's injury they'd have told Cork where to go. 200k plus for someone who's never played in a big league, is 25 and out of contract at the end of the season seems a decent deal.

I guess Cork are desperate not to be seen as a selling club, but I wish these little teams would just roll over when the big boys come knocking!! :wink:

Think about it from their point of view. They've lost two excellent players for a pittance, and now the same club is back trying to do it again. Wouldn't you push for more?

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 26 Jan 2007 19:07

Blue and White Toucan Seems like Bennet is a done deal now, and I am sure that he will prove to be a good signing. Will also hopefully settle in quickly with Doyle, Long and Hunty around - Are we becoming Reading Irish!?!?!

Interesting interview with him on the Cork City Website (Have checked and its not been mentioned before)

Listening between the lines he would relish the move !?!

http://corkcityfc.ie/home.htm

Link doesnt seem to work.

xtreme rebel

by xtreme rebel » 26 Jan 2007 19:09

Archie's penalty Link doesnt seem to work.

http://corktrophycentre.com/audios/bennett13.mp3

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 26 Jan 2007 19:33

Cheers.

Sounds like a thoroughly nice guy. Think he'd fit in well here...

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 26 Jan 2007 20:26

Sounds like another typical Coppell squad player, not the type who's gonna cause trouble if he's not in the team. The attidude of the squad players for me has been the key to success over the last year.

Cookie

by Cookie » 27 Jan 2007 22:03

xtreme rebel
Archie's penalty Link doesnt seem to work.

http://corktrophycentre.com/audios/bennett13.mp3

This might be a problem. Are we a bunch of cheap-skates??
Meanwhile Cork City chairman Brian Lennox has blasted Reading following heir latest attempt to sign highly-rated defender, Bennett, this week. Lennox is still fuming that the Royals took strike duo Kevin Doyle and Shane Long for a combined £70,000 fee in 2005 and is not willing to accept what he claims to be another 'degrading transfer fee' for Bennett.

I think he's got a good point. http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=26227
Last edited by Cookie on 27 Jan 2007 22:10, edited 1 time in total.

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: The footballing equivalent of a HarLOLem GLOLobetrotter..

by alad » 27 Jan 2007 22:09

The question should be 'Are Cork still livid with themselves for letting two quality players leave for peanuts?'

Typical Irish, always someone else to blame and bitter as you can get. They can't get over the fact they messed up. This transfer should have nothing to do with the Doyle and Long deal, it seems as if they're trying to raise the fee because they got mugged over the last deal.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 27 Jan 2007 22:13

alad The question should be 'Are Cork still livid with themselves for letting two quality players leave for peanuts?'

Typical Irish, always someone else to blame and bitter as you can get. They can't get over the fact they messed up. This transfer should have nothing to do with the Doyle and Long deal, it seems as if they're trying to raise the fee because they got mugged over the last deal.

When was the last time was Hunt, Doyle or Long bitter or looking for someone to blame?

It's not an Irish thing, it's a Cork City boardroom thing.
Last edited by readingbedding on 27 Jan 2007 22:18, edited 1 time in total.

Cookie

by Cookie » 27 Jan 2007 22:14

alad The question should be 'Are Cork still livid with themselves for letting two quality players leave for peanuts?'

Long term it will good policy to cultavate a positive relationship with this club. If you read my link it seems that Mr. Ebeneezer Hamond might be burning our bridges with this small club.

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by alad » 27 Jan 2007 22:19

readingbedding

When was the last time Hunt, Doyle or Long bitter or looking for someone to blame?

Fair comment.

Just find it amusing they try and blame Reading for their inept transfer dealings. No one expected Doyle to do as well as he has done anway. Did they really expect Reading to offer them 500k for someone who had scored about 10 goals in his last season with Cork in a two bob league?

Rich@Eaststand

by Rich@Eaststand » 27 Jan 2007 22:31

Cookie

Long term it will good policy to cultavate a positive relationship with this club. If you read my link it seems that Mr. Ebeneezer Hamond might be burning our bridges with this small club.

Why is it Hammond's fault?

It looks to me as if the Cork Chairman still has the hump about the clause in Doyle's contract which they put in.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 27 Jan 2007 22:32

alad
readingbedding

When was the last time Hunt, Doyle or Long bitter or looking for someone to blame?

Fair comment.

Just find it amusing they try and blame Reading for their inept transfer dealings. No one expected Doyle to do as well as he has done anway. Did they really expect Reading to offer them 500k for someone who had scored about 10 goals in his last season with Cork in a two bob league?

It's well known that Doyle had a min release clause, Reading took advantage of it.

The board of Cork City must look at themselves about that.

No one else.

Yeah, even if Doyle hadn't a min release clause how much would he have gone for?
If they reckon that Doyle would have been sold for 1/2 M back then, that is a lie.
Everything's great in retrospect.

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by alad » 27 Jan 2007 22:49

Having a release fee of 70k is worthless. If they saw the potential Coppell did in him then surely the fee would have been alot higher when he signed his last contract at Cork.

They made the mistake, Reading took advantage. Football isn't a charity and Reading were not going to offer alot of money for a 22 year old who wasn't prolific in a poor league.

RIP ELM Park

by RIP ELM Park » 28 Jan 2007 08:48

alad Having a release fee of 70k is worthless. If they saw the potential Coppell did in him then surely the fee would have been alot higher when he signed his last contract at Cork.

They made the mistake, Reading took advantage. Football isn't a charity and Reading were not going to offer alot of money for a 22 year old who wasn't prolific in a poor league.

True, but equally true is that Bennet does not have such a clause so they can name their price, I'd be surprised however if the player dosen't kick up a fuss soon, this could be his one opportunity to play premiership football, an opportunity he clearly wants judging by his comments.

mathematically_safe
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: keeping wicket for the quakers in my joy division oven gloves

by mathematically_safe » 28 Jan 2007 09:47

from that article it looks like 300, 000 euros is a new record for the eircom league anyway? if we're breaking the ceiling then it's a fair fee?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 28 Jan 2007 11:04

I think that goes some way to putting this deal into perspective.

Isn't he out of contract at the end of their season anyway?

This is no more than the usual brinkmanship one would expect given the climate surrounding this potential transaction.

I must admit I totally under estimated just how high fees would escalate as desperate clubs have fork over ridiculous amounts of money (Ashley Young..........very good young player but worth no more than half the fee Watford gleefully accepted) and the simple fact is, we are not that desperate even if Sonko is sidelined long term.................. I'm talking about the club management here and not those supporters who always panic :?

Whilst I'm sure the club will go a little higher, the bottom line is the player can leave for free in a few months and we will wait if we have to.

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 28 Jan 2007 11:15

Typical Irish, always someone else to blame and bitter as you can get. They can't get over the fact they messed up

You really are an arrogant and generally opinionated person. However, I concede that your extreme immaturtiy goes some way to excuse this. You may even be all right if and when you grow up.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 28 Jan 2007 20:06

bobby m's syrup

Typical Irish, always someone else to blame and bitter as you can get. They can't get over the fact they messed up

You really are an arrogant and generally opinionated person. However, I concede that your extreme immaturtiy goes some way to excuse this. You may even be all right if and when you grow up.

I wouldn't worry overmuch - he'll be gone this time next month.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Jan 2007 10:34

alad Having a release fee of 70k is worthless. If they saw the potential Coppell did in him then surely the fee would have been alot higher when he signed his last contract at Cork.

There is nothing that I can argue with there. Absolutely spot on and showing a level of thought and reason that is usually totally absent from alad's posts.

More of that and you will be sorely missed come the end of February when you cease posting.

bent copper

by bent copper » 29 Jan 2007 11:57

I have watched Bennet a few times against my local team(the might Finn Harps!) and on telly playing for Cork in Europe.300k is in my opinion a good price for Cork.From what I have seen the winger O'Donavon is the player who could make a successful transition to a higher level.

342 posts