Shorey...

255 posts
Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 19 Oct 2007 13:30

Broxroyal
Mad Dog's Ghost McLaren loused up big time by playing a centre back at left back. Means the team is so unbalanced. Remember a moment in second half when we were chasing the game and ball went to Lescott on his left foot and his first touch was his only touch. Positionally he kept drifting inside too. Shades of Keith Curle playing left back for England in Euro 92.

Maybe Shorey's form has dipped (along with pretty much everyone else at Reading this season) but still a better option than Lescott. If no faith in Shorey, why not another proper left sided defender like Taylor or Baines.

Hopefully Shorey's dip in form will dissuade another club from bidding silly money in January, because we'll be weaker without him

Spot on. If McClaren was worried about Shorey he had every chance to call up Baines or Taylor. Instead he called up Luke Young, a right back. So we had Young, Neville and Shorey on the bench which is at least one too many full backs.

McClaren would have had a few days at most to add to his squad and only would have done so in exceptional circumstance but I think you can assume that Shorey's place in future squads is now a big doubt.

For most of this season, Shorey has been part of a Reading defence so lacking in balance that it's been shipping goals for fun. My only surprise is that someone from the England camp didn't spot this before selecting their squad (Ok, I'm not that surprised :? ) that's why Lescott played and Shorey didn't.....................

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 19 Oct 2007 13:31

Well, I just don't think Shorey's form has dropped. I think he is in the same scintilating form that he was in last year.

He looks like he is playing worse because the whole team are. But Shorey is the same Shorey in the same form as before.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Oct 2007 13:35

Top Flight Well, I just don't think Shorey's form has dropped. I think he is in the same scintilating form that he was in last year.

He looks like he is playing worse because the whole team are. But Shorey is the same Shorey in the same form as before.

Sorry that makes no sense. If he was in the same scintilating form as last season he'd stand out compared to his underperforming team-mates.

The fact is he hasn't for the vast majority of people would suggest that his form has suffered along with his team-mates, which is hardly a surprise.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 19 Oct 2007 13:37

Stranded
Top Flight Well, I just don't think Shorey's form has dropped. I think he is in the same scintilating form that he was in last year.

Sorry that makes no sense. If he was in the same scintilating form as last season he'd stand out compared to his underperforming team-mates.

The fact is he hasn't for the vast majority of people would suggest that his form has suffered along with his team-mates, which is hardly a surprise.

He stands out to my eyes.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 19 Oct 2007 13:41

Top Flight
Stranded

For your eyes only -

http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 19 Oct 2007 13:42

NICK SHOREY MY LORD NICK SHOREY
OH LORD NICK SHOREY

NICK SHOREY OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH
HE'S ONLY FIVE FOOT TALL
HE'LL ALWAYS WIN THE BALL

HE'S ONLY FIVE FOOT TALL
HE'LL F*C*ING BREAK YOUR JAW.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 19 Oct 2007 13:44

Top Flight
Stranded

Sorry but it appears that to nearly all observers he is a shadow of last year's player.

Surely you can see a difference in his confidence, his positional play and his lack of quality crosses?

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 19 Oct 2007 13:46

bcubed
Top Flight
Stranded

Sorry but it appears that to nearly all observers he is a shadow of last year's player.

Surely you can see a difference in his confidence, his positional play and his lack of quality crosses?

No, I can't! I see the exact same player as last season.

Our results are down because Gunnarsson hasn't replaced Sidwell. Not because of a downturn in other performances. Thats what I think.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 19 Oct 2007 13:53

Top Flight
bcubed
Top Flight
Stranded

Our results are down because Gunnarsson hasn't replaced Sidwell. Not because of a downturn in other performances. Thats what I think.

:cry:

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 19 Oct 2007 14:00

londinium Lescott has been playing really well this season and posed more of a threat at corners and set pieces than Shorey ever could for England so it was no great suprise to those withoiut RTG's that Lescott played.

Shorey could have taken the corners, leaving Gerrard to sit on the edge of the box to do what he does best - shoot.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 19 Oct 2007 14:33

Man Friday
londinium Lescott has been playing really well this season and posed more of a threat at corners and set pieces than Shorey ever could for England so it was no great suprise to those withoiut RTG's that Lescott played.

Shorey could have taken the corners, leaving Gerrard to sit on the edge of the box to do what he does best - shoot.

Shorey doesnt even tend to take the corners for RFC... and they dont tend to beat the first man when he does!!

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 19 Oct 2007 15:50

londinium
Man Friday

Shorey doesnt even tend to take the corners for RFC... and they dont tend to beat the first man when he does!!

True. Well this season anyway. And the same goes for his free kicks - although in this case are either too short or too long. (Shoot, man, shoot!!)

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 19 Oct 2007 18:21

Top Flight
bcubed
Top Flight
Stranded

I think the truth is somewhere in between a lot of the comments on this thread. Shorey is certainly not as positive as last season...can you imagine him racing down the flank with us winning 2-1 in injury time and sending over a superb cross for a third goal as against Bolton towards the end of last season..because I cant. It may be down to lack of confidence and loss of form but equally he is not making lots of defensive lapses leading to goals against us...so I think some of the criticism of him is a bit harsh.
I also think the fact he has not signed a new contract has turned a few people against him but if he goes it will be for a few million and will represent one of the best signings the club ever made. He has not let the club down at all.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 19 Oct 2007 18:43

Thanks Pearcey........

Finally someone who sees things my way!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 19 Oct 2007 19:14

:?

255 posts