Hunt dissapointed

260 posts
Colchester Royal

Re: Hunt dissapointed

by Colchester Royal » 06 Sep 2008 16:34

Well the guy has a family to take care of as well, you try living with a smaller wage than black sheep 'Saint Kitson of Stoke' and Friar Shorey.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 06 Sep 2008 16:57

LOLZ - excellent wind up - I fell for that!

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 06 Sep 2008 17:21

Fair play to Hunt, and good for him whether its spin or not. Ambition is a word that at least he understands.

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 06 Sep 2008 17:25

Colchester Royal Well the guy has a family to take care of as well, you try living with a smaller wage than black sheep 'Saint Kitson of Stoke' and Friar Shorey.

are you his mum?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 06 Sep 2008 17:53

Colchester Royal Well the guy has a family to take care of as well, you try living with a smaller wage than black sheep 'Saint Kitson of Stoke' and Friar Shorey.

Kitson was always on a low wage (relatively). :roll:

MELKSHAM HOOPS

by MELKSHAM HOOPS » 16 Dec 2008 23:25

Reading: A Christmas Message to Stephen Hunt
We're looking good at the mo. One point behind second, six points ahead of fourth and the opportunity to be second at Christmas (should we beat Brum away next weekend). Either way, I am allowing myself the faintest festive cheer and hope (in a very unCoppell way) of returning to the Premiership at the first time of asking.

SO why oh why oh why oh why are my nights as hectic with worry as Ebenezer Scrooge? Stephen Hunt and the transfer market? That's why.

Just like old Scrooge, the ghost of Christmas past is a visiting with much speculation linking the dynamic Reading winger to a move to the Premiership not with the Royals in May but with the royal blue of Everton. He has said in the past that he wants to go, they are rumoured to be offering around £4 million and only have to up it by about a million to trigger a get out clause. He'll be happy about "playing in his prime" at a Premiership club and his future happiness and success will be assured.

My advice STAY PUT MR HUNT. Here's why:

You owe us a season. Said it before, I'll say it again. You owe the fans and the gaffer a season. There is an increasingly frustrated tone from you about your predicament. Stop it and get on with your job.

Reading, touch wood, are on their way back up to the Premiership. Once there, you will be in a team where you know your place is assured and in which you are a major force. Not only will that (as it has in the past) make you a delight to watch, but it will also make you a shining star of the team. When analysed in the papers and on Match of the Day, your stock and price will go up and you'll get the right move and we'll get the right price for you. It certainly will be better than what is on the table currently.

Everton is not the right move for you. What you want, it seems, is to play in Europe. That is the logical train of thought for someone like you. You believe that you are in your prime and want the chance to test yourself against the best in Europe and play for a team containing (theoretically) some of the better players in Europe. That's fine, but Everton are not guaranteed Europe by a long stretch and do not have much of a pedigree of late to challenge for UEFA. Why not wait for something better? The only team that might fulfil your ambitions of consistent European action and being a team that can compete in the Premiership looks currently to be Aston Villa. And they seem to have enough wingers/attacking midfielders at the mo. Wait for the sleeping giants to emerge, wait for the right time.

You will never play for a Big Four club. That is in no way an aspersion on your quality (that's why I want you to stay) but your's is a game full of work rate, commitment and strength. And, despite you thinking you are in your prime, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool or Man Utd do not need a 27 year old to play on the wing with all the scouting networks, current players, academy players etc at their disposal. In short, a move to a mid-tier Premiership club is not a stepping stone to one of those clubs, merely a way into a team that has a different type of struggle to Reading. Moreover, you will be one of many names at a club, not the name of the club.

The class of 2006 to 08 haven't fared brilliantly when they have left Reading: Nicky Shorey was in the England squad but felt unsettled (like yourself) because of the interest of other clubs. Leaving for Villa at the end of last term, having little in the way of meaningful form for the Royals, I think he has looked ordinary in the claret strip and recently has been dropped in favour of Luke Young.

Meanwhile, Dave Kitson went north to Stoke, vowing to keep them up with his goals. A strange move considering the lack of form he had last season and his habit of dropping back far too much rather than staying in the last third, where he would have been effective. In any case, it has been Rory Delap that has become the Premiership hero of that town, not the ginger, currently goal-shy, assassin.

Sonko too, went to The Potters and although they are holding their own, surely that's not where you would see your career going?

Glen Little still looks good at Pompey, but starts rarely and his is a move that was too good for him not to take, given the injuries he has had (and is having).

A success story is, of course, Steve Sidwell. He is looking much more settled at Villa and looks a top player again having been given the chance. But look at how long that took him?

Now, I am not writing this because I think any of these players lack quality, they have in bucket loads. However, away from Reading they do not have that platform from which to show it. You, like them, were the class that made Reading history and that took us so close to the UEFA cup spot. You were able to do this because of the secure emotional platform created at Reading - stable coach, stable team spirit etc. More than that, I think you have more memories to give us.

There are always pull factors to another club, another challenge or another way of life, but sometimes the best thing you can do is stay put. You frequently say that keeping yourself fit and healthy is the key to your future career. You're right, so concentrate on that and, next season, if we are not back in the Premiership and you still want to go to Everton or wherever, go, and I will wear an Everton scarf at a Reading home game in your honour, safe in the knowledge that you may have moved on, but you did it in the right way.

Meanwhile you will be confident that should the ghosts of Christmas past ever visit you, you will be able to look them in the eye and say "I did the right thing." You can't say that at the moment.

Mike Hanbidge

boy1985

by boy1985 » 17 Dec 2008 13:41

He won't go Everton. They need a striker and what with the 'credit crunch' i can't see how they can justify 4mil on a winger. The other good thing is that Roy Keane is not at Sunderland anymore as he would have had no problems shelling out on another irish player.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 17 Dec 2008 15:42

If I was Coppell (or Madejski or whoever makes the decisions at Reading) and Everton offered £4 million, I might ask them to up the offer a bit, but in the end I would let him go with my blessing for all he has done for the club.

As a fan. I would enjoy looking out for him on match of the day and hope he does brilliantly.

There is no point trying to stop players furthering themselves: didn't Shorey show that to us in about 30 games last year?

boy1985

by boy1985 » 17 Dec 2008 16:06

It's not a question whether we accept the bid or not as he has a clause in his contract.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 17 Dec 2008 16:08

boy1985 It's not a question whether we accept the bid or not as he has a clause in his contract.

That's the rumour.

boy1985

by boy1985 » 17 Dec 2008 16:15

Well I read some where Dillon saying there was only one player that can leave in January without them being able to do anything about it so it makes sense

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 17 Dec 2008 16:59

Let him go. If he wants to try and better himself then lets just watch him fail, with £4 million + in our account. With his woeful delivery showing very often, he wont go far. Especially not with the attitude of going to the press all the time.

It's the round thing

by It's the round thing » 19 Dec 2008 21:33

MELKSHAM HOOPS Reading: A Christmas Message to Stephen Hunt
We're looking good at the mo. One point behind second, six points ahead of fourth and the opportunity to be second at Christmas (should we beat Brum away next weekend). Either way, I am allowing myself the faintest festive cheer and hope (in a very unCoppell way) of returning to the Premiership at the first time of asking.

SO why oh why oh why oh why are my nights as hectic with worry as Ebenezer Scrooge? Stephen Hunt and the transfer market? That's why.

Just like old Scrooge, the ghost of Christmas past is a visiting with much speculation linking the dynamic Reading winger to a move to the Premiership not with the Royals in May but with the royal blue of Everton. He has said in the past that he wants to go, they are rumoured to be offering around £4 million and only have to up it by about a million to trigger a get out clause. He'll be happy about "playing in his prime" at a Premiership club and his future happiness and success will be assured.

You owe us a season. Said it before, I'll say it again. You owe the fans and the gaffer a season. There is an increasingly frustrated tone from you about your predicament. Stop it and get on with your job.

Reading, touch wood, are on their way back up to the Premiership. Once there, you will be in a team where you know your place is assured and in which you are a major force. Not only will that (as it has in the past) make you a delight to watch, but it will also make you a shining star of the team. When analysed in the papers and on Match of the Day, your stock and price will go up and you'll get the right move and we'll get the right price for you. It certainly will be better than what is on the table currently.

Everton is not the right move for you. What you want, it seems, is to play in Europe. That is the logical train of thought for someone like you. You believe that you are in your prime and want the chance to test yourself against the best in Europe and play for a team containing (theoretically) some of the better players in Europe. That's fine, but Everton are not guaranteed Europe by a long stretch and do not have much of a pedigree of late to challenge for UEFA. Why not wait for something better? The only team that might fulfil your ambitions of consistent European action and being a team that can compete in the Premiership looks currently to be Aston Villa. And they seem to have enough wingers/attacking midfielders at the mo. Wait for the sleeping giants to emerge, wait for the right time.

You will never play for a Big Four club. That is in no way an aspersion on your quality (that's why I want you to stay) but your's is a game full of work rate, commitment and strength. And, despite you thinking you are in your prime, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool or Man Utd do not need a 27 year old to play on the wing with all the scouting networks, current players, academy players etc at their disposal. In short, a move to a mid-tier Premiership club is not a stepping stone to one of those clubs, merely a way into a team that has a different type of struggle to Reading. Moreover, you will be one of many names at a club, not the name of the club.

The class of 2006 to 08 haven't fared brilliantly when they have left Reading: Nicky Shorey was in the England squad but felt unsettled (like yourself) because of the interest of other clubs. Leaving for Villa at the end of last term, having little in the way of meaningful form for the Royals, I think he has looked ordinary in the claret strip and recently has been dropped in favour of Luke Young.

Meanwhile, Dave Kitson went north to Stoke, vowing to keep them up with his goals. A strange move considering the lack of form he had last season and his habit of dropping back far too much rather than staying in the last third, where he would have been effective. In any case, it has been Rory Delap that has become the Premiership hero of that town, not the ginger, currently goal-shy, assassin.

Sonko too, went to The Potters and although they are holding their own, surely that's not where you would see your career going?

Glen Little still looks good at Pompey, but starts rarely and his is a move that was too good for him not to take, given the injuries he has had (and is having).

A success story is, of course, Steve Sidwell. He is looking much more settled at Villa and looks a top player again having been given the chance. But look at how long that took him?

Now, I am not writing this because I think any of these players lack quality, they have in bucket loads. However, away from Reading they do not have that platform from which to show it. You, like them, were the class that made Reading history and that took us so close to the UEFA cup spot. You were able to do this because of the secure emotional platform created at Reading - stable coach, stable team spirit etc. More than that, I think you have more memories to give us.

There are always pull factors to another club, another challenge or another way of life, but sometimes the best thing you can do is stay put. You frequently say that keeping yourself fit and healthy is the key to your future career. You're right, so concentrate on that and, next season, if we are not back in the Premiership and you still want to go to Everton or wherever, go, and I will wear an Everton scarf at a Reading home game in your honour, safe in the knowledge that you may have moved on, but you did it in the right way.

Meanwhile you will be confident that should the ghosts of Christmas past ever visit you, you will be able to look them in the eye and say "I did the right thing." You can't say that at the moment.

Mike Hanbidge

Well said. I've been impressed by Hunt on and off the pitch - he has real character -and so naturally is a perfect fit for Reading! And what could look better on your resume than having taken Reading up to the Premiership? Having done it twice! :)

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 19 Dec 2008 22:00

willz_royal Let him go. If he wants to try and better himself then lets just watch him fail, with £4 million + in our account. With his woeful delivery showing very often, he wont go far. Especially not with the attitude of going to the press all the time.

I don't have a problem with him bitching as long as he puts in 100% every game. I don't have an issue with Hunty just as I didn't with Sidwell.
I really can't believe people think Hunt is not an assett to Reading Football Club.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 19 Dec 2008 22:11

boy1985 He won't go Everton. They need a striker and what with the 'credit crunch' i can't see how they can justify 4mil on a winger.

Here's a link to support that quote:
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 00,00.html
Last edited by SteveRoyal on 19 Dec 2008 22:12, edited 1 time in total.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 19 Dec 2008 22:11

The last three seasons, Hunt has had a good early season (I don't count the games at left back) and then faded. Perhaps he is like some race horses that only perform at their best when fresh. Maybe Noel is going to be the same. I say, don't knock Hunt too hard when he is in a less effective spell; look at the bigger picture--when he is good, he is awesome.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 19 Dec 2008 22:33

willz_royal Let him go. If he wants to try and better himself then lets just watch him fail, with £4 million + in our account. With his woeful delivery showing very often, he wont go far. Especially not with the attitude of going to the press all the time.

You haven't seen him play this year then? The corners have been awesome.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 19 Dec 2008 22:35

Handsome Man

'Have been' being the key words........ they've been utter sh*te recently

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Dec 2008 23:25

John Madejski's Wallet
Handsome Man

'Have been' being the key words........ they've been utter sh*te recently

Who cares, we've already socred more from corners this season than we have in the last 2-3 seasons combined. So teams have started to sus it out? Now we just hit them elsewhere and capitalise on any mistakes at corners.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 20 Dec 2008 00:36

MELKSHAM HOOPS Reading: A Christmas Message to Stephen Hunt

Mike Hanbidge

JESUS CHRIST! No wonder youve only posted 11 times in 4 years. It must take you a few months just to write one post!!

260 posts