It Is What It Is

Re: Newcastle V Reading Match Thread

by It Is What It Is » 15 Aug 2009 21:50

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 15 Aug 2009 22:41

I dont remember seeing a game where Reading were so utterly void of ideas..

0 chances created in two full games now, both opposition goalkeepers have barely touched the ball. That is incredibly worrying :|

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 15 Aug 2009 22:55

It's quite simple - Rodgers has replaced the spine of the team, the replacements are young and inexperienced, and we haven't got the players for the system we're playing.

The team could mature and adapt quickly, and Rodgers could use from the squad/buy some experience- I hope so - otherwise we're f*cked, quite simply.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Aug 2009 14:35

Just seen the "highlights" on the IPlayer.

Defending was woeful. Cisse following up an impressive defensive performance with a poor one by the looks of it. Whereas against Forest Rosenior was poor going forward but good at the back, he looked shocking at the back against Newcastle.

How on earth do you fail to mark Newcastle's "name" striker on at least 4 occasions with balls coming into the box. I realise I've only seen a tiny snapshot of the game, but we looked all over the place.

Going forward looked exactly the same as v Forest. Nowhere near enough bodies attacking. If the ball comes from the left the right forward has to be getting in the box and vice versa. At the moment it looks like only Davies trying to get forward.

This is at least a big warning that we need some changes to what we're currently doing if we want to realise the promise of these players and the system.

At least we have the likes of Hunt, Harper & Mills to come in to the team to give it a bit more experience and quality.

Oh and that was never a penalty in a million years.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 16 Aug 2009 15:01

He jumped with both arms in the air - the ball hit his arm - of course it was a penalty.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 16 Aug 2009 15:02

LOL Agree with all of that other than the point about the penalty, an obvious pen by any stretch. He nearly caught the ball.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Aug 2009 15:04

Ball to hand, not intentional and didn't look like it would fall to the Newcastle player even if it hadn't hit him.

It's also impossible to jump and head with your arms at your sides. Totally unneccessary penalty IMO.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 16 Aug 2009 15:06

It's possible to jum for a ball without having both arms up as high as his were. It was a def penalty - hence no argument from Long at the time. Still, at least he jumped for it I suppose.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Aug 2009 15:08

Royal Lady It's possible to jum for a ball without having both arms up as high as his were. It was a def penalty - hence no argument from Long at the time. Still, at least he jumped for it I suppose.

What's the point in arguing? It hit his arm and had been given. And the team and Long did protest. But about as half-heartedly as they seemed to have played.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 16 Aug 2009 15:09

I was arguing your point that it wasn't a penalty "in a million years". It was.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 16 Aug 2009 15:10

It is possible but you don't nearly as high, it's harsh because he wasn't reaching for it. He just cocked up his jump.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Aug 2009 15:10

Royal Lady I was arguing your point that it wasn't a penalty "in a million years". It was.

I know exactly what you were doing.
You think. I disagree.

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 16 Aug 2009 15:11

Saw the match on TV and "rewound" several times. Haven't read any post on this thread.

Started lively but Newcastle were by far better with the ball and better "getting it back" as BR would say. Lots of passing...to the keeper. I don't think I've ever seen so many passes go backwards into the box. Ever.

Once the goal was scored, it appeared there was a propensity to bypass the midfield and send it up the middle. This was disappointing but the midfield was not doing very well.

Kebe is really good on the ball, woeful with keeping it. Jem wasn't very good today. Didn't see much of Tabb but when I did, we did respectibly. Davies sent some really good passes but sent just as many to the opposition.

Long and Church were just not "visible". Feds - great distribution. Completely opposite of Marcus (and Marcus would've missed both headed-in goals too).

Magpies made mincemeat down their left side with Guttierez and company time after time just bulldozing over Rosey. He was poor.

Cisse did adequately but I kept wondering why our $2M centerback was left on the bench. Alex did well. Bertrand was pretty good going forward and got back - decent pace but he wasn't tested a whole lot in my opinion as Rosey left them a nice path down his side.

I realize that even without the "star players", Newcastle is likely to be one of the strongest teams (especially at home) we'll face this season. Even so, I kept thinking that if we don't get Marek in there, get some good quality goal production, and sort out the right flank, we're mid-table fodder at best. Still, nice seeing all the youth out there.

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 16 Aug 2009 15:23

PremAddict Saw the match on TV and "rewound" several times. Haven't read any post on this thread.

Started lively but Newcastle were by far better with the ball and better "getting it back" as BR would say. Lots of passing...to the keeper. I don't think I've ever seen so many passes go backwards into the box. Ever.

Once the goal was scored, it appeared there was a propensity to bypass the midfield and send it up the middle. This was disappointing but the midfield was not doing very well.

Kebe is really good on the ball, woeful with keeping it. Jem wasn't very good today. Didn't see much of Tabb but when I did, we did respectibly. Davies sent some really good passes but sent just as many to the opposition.

Long and Church were just not "visible". Feds - great distribution. Completely opposite of Marcus (and Marcus would've missed both headed-in goals too).

Magpies made mincemeat down their left side with Guttierez and company time after time just bulldozing over Rosey. He was poor.

Cisse did adequately but I kept wondering why our $2M centerback was left on the bench. Alex did well. Bertrand was pretty good going forward and got back - decent pace but he wasn't tested a whole lot in my opinion as Rosey left them a nice path down his side.

I realize that even without the "star players", Newcastle is likely to be one of the strongest teams (especially at home) we'll face this season. Even so, I kept thinking that if we don't get Marek in there, get some good quality goal production, and sort out the right flank, we're mid-table fodder at best. Still, nice seeing all the youth out there.

LOL, some of this is bullocks.

Karacan had a very good game. He did start a bit slowly but as the game progressed, so did he. Mills hasn't played many games pre-season and obviously not trained with us for that long, so it would have been harsh to drop pearce or cisse after their performances against forest. Rosey wasn't great, but he saved us a lot with his well timed tackles just inside the box.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 16 Aug 2009 16:13

Smith kicked Karacan out of the game, not that I'm blaming Smith, if the Ref don't see it, or doesn't want to see it, it's not Smith's problem.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 16 Aug 2009 16:14

PremAddict Magpies made mincemeat down their left side with Guttierez and company time after time just bulldozing over Rosey. He was poor.
In Rosenior's defence, Gutierrez and Enrique teamed up to turn Rosenior inside out on several occasions, but he didn't get much help from Church. Interestingly we were less exposed down their left and more on the other side in the second half.

I've heard a few criticisms of Cisse, but I thought he did fine. He wasn't out of place for either of their open field goals, and was pretty tenacious all day. Also generally patient and careful on the ball. I have a soft spot for the guy, so I'd be open to hearing more critical views.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 16 Aug 2009 19:28

Plymouth_Royal
PremAddict Saw the match on TV and "rewound" several times. Haven't read any post on this thread.

LOL, some of this is bullocks.

Karacan had a very good game. He did start a bit slowly but as the game progressed, so did he. Mills hasn't played many games pre-season and obviously not trained with us for that long, so it would have been harsh to drop pearce or cisse after their performances against forest. Rosey wasn't great, but he saved us a lot with his well timed tackles just inside the box.

Have to agree, in my opinion that is a mince review. Karacan was one of the very few players to come out of that having really earned his wages. Up against a very good midfield oposition he worked tirelessly for the team and took a few whacks in the process.

It seems Pearce will be the next one for Woodcote's list of 'untouchables' He was too busy berating everyone else while nolan retrieved the ball got it back for his pal to cross and then Pearce's man was helping himself to his 2nd unchallenged headed goal of the day. Woeful defending to be fair. I think Pearce will be an excellent player in time but that 2nd goal was dismal. If Doobs had done that the board would have crashed, of course he'd have never done that in the first place! :P

old woman

by old woman » 16 Aug 2009 22:49

readingbedding Smith kicked Karacan out of the game, not that I'm blaming Smith, if the Ref don't see it, or doesn't want to see it, it's not Smith's problem.

Ref totally bottled the situation. Having booked him for the first tackle he should have booked him for the second and sent him off -not given him a telling off. Once they realised that he wouldn't take any action Newcastle bullied the referee and the linesmen.It was obvious the crowd intimidated the officials- If boot had been on the other foot a Reading player would have been off.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 17 Aug 2009 11:25

There is one thing I am struggling to get my head round, we have a £2 million pound central defender on the bench and a defensive midfielder/centre back in Cisse playing next to Pearce. If our midfield was lacking bite and this was obvious from the get go, why didn't we move Cisse into midfield and put Mills at centre back. Surely he would also have handled Ameobi better too?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 17 Aug 2009 11:38

Huntley & Palmer There is one thing I am struggling to get my head round, we have a £2 million pound central defender on the bench and a defensive midfielder/centre back in Cisse playing next to Pearce. If our midfield was lacking bite and this was obvious from the get go, why didn't we move Cisse into midfield and put Mills at centre back. Surely he would also have handled Ameobi better too?

The only explanation was that we had just kept a clean sheet comfortably against Forest and it may have been harsh to alter the defense.This is the excuse that Rodgers needed to bring Mills in, my flabber will be gasted if he doesn't start Tuesday.

278 posts