Loanwatch 09-10

539 posts
Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Loanwatch 09-10

by Dirk Gently » 08 Nov 2009 16:48

Ian Royal
Terminal Boardom Do you really think that SJM will let BR loose with HIS money?

REALLY? :shock:

No I think the club has money available to spend.

I think you're assuming that SJM has piles of cash just sloshing around in bank accounts doing nothing. In fact, the exact opposite is true. I thought it was pretty well common knowledge that all his wealth is tied up in various projects (e.g. Station Hill) - he has minimal liquidity due to this and the credit crunch affecting all of his businesses.

There's no spare cash to invest.whether he wants to or not. Simple as!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Nov 2009 17:55

I don't know why you're telling me that, I never said he has spare cash or that he's going to inject more money into us. I'm just saying we will have money available to spend. Not a huge amount, but then we've already spent a lot.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 08 Nov 2009 18:15

Ian Royal I don't know why you're telling me that, I never said he has spare cash or that he's going to inject more money into us. I'm just saying we will have money available to spend. Not a huge amount, but then we've already spent a lot.

And it will come from where?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Nov 2009 19:35

Same place it's come from ever since Madejski stopped ploughing money a few years ago.

We had ~£1.8m available for Smith. After that we signing Cummings ~£300k, Howard ~£500k, Rasiak ~£300k & McAnuff ~£500k.

The club has told us we'd been planning on getting Rasiak and McAnuff anyway, I see no reason to disbelieve this, especially given the ongoing rumours prior to it happening. That leaves between £200k and £1m we were prepared to spend in the summer and didn't.

Then of course we could always afford to offload a couple more players. Though who'd spend money on the likes of Cisse, Long or Gunnarsson I've no idea.

And I've never seen us not make a signing in a transfer window and I see no reason to expect that to change.

Money is tight, certainly, that doesn't mean Rodgers or any other manager we might have will have nothing to spend in January and we won't get anyone in.

That's why I disagree our manager won't be backed with any money.

rfc_1871

by rfc_1871 » 09 Nov 2009 00:47

winchester_royal Back to what this thread should be about.....

Both Davies and Antonio score for their respective clubs in the first round proper of the FA cup.

Antonio certainly impresses in these highlights! A goal and an assist against Bristol Rovers.

http://www.footytube.com/video/bristol- ... ov06-26961

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 09 Nov 2009 09:31

Ian Royal Same place it's come from ever since Madejski stopped ploughing money a few years ago.

We had ~£1.8m available for Smith. After that we signing Cummings ~£300k, Howard ~£500k, Rasiak ~£300k & McAnuff ~£500k.

The club has told us we'd been planning on getting Rasiak and McAnuff anyway, I see no reason to disbelieve this, especially given the ongoing rumours prior to it happening. That leaves between £200k and £1m we were prepared to spend in the summer and didn't.

Then of course we could always afford to offload a couple more players. Though who'd spend money on the likes of Cisse, Long or Gunnarsson I've no idea.

And I've never seen us not make a signing in a transfer window and I see no reason to expect that to change.

Money is tight, certainly, that doesn't mean Rodgers or any other manager we might have will have nothing to spend in January and we won't get anyone in.

Ok, fair enough. If you think you know - rather than are just speculating - then I certainly haven't got the energy to argue about it.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 09 Nov 2009 12:17

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 350216.stm

Antonio would consider staying until the end of the season.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Nov 2009 12:51

Dirk Gently
Ian Royal Same place it's come from ever since Madejski stopped ploughing money a few years ago.

Ok, fair enough. If you think you know - rather than are just speculating - then I certainly haven't got the energy to argue about it.

You may have more of an inside track on the club than I do, but I can't see how you'd be doing anything more than speculating either. I'm not claiming to know anything, I've just based my opinion on the available information and I see no reason to change it.

We'll see in January won't we.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Nov 2009 12:58

bit worried by dirks assertions here

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 09 Nov 2009 14:13

Dirk Gently I think you're assuming that SJM has piles of cash just sloshing around in bank accounts doing nothing. In fact, the exact opposite is true. I thought it was pretty well common knowledge that all his wealth is tied up in various projects (e.g. Station Hill) - he has minimal liquidity due to this and the credit crunch affecting all of his businesses.

There's no spare cash to invest.whether he wants to or not. Simple as!

Easy, he just shuts a few of his companies and lays of a couple of hundred people in those companies and the ones serving them

With the money raised we get a one new striker until they get injured

Seemples

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 09 Nov 2009 15:32

SteveRoyal http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/8350216.stm

Antonio would consider staying until the end of the season.

The Saints fan I spoke to just now would be very pleased about that.
With Scott Davies doing so well for Wycombe and Henry doing o.k now and again for Millwall is it a case of that one division lower being of lower enough standard for these players to shine?
I would rather it be the case that with their new-found confidence they are flourishing and will be ready to make an impact when they return.
Hopefully they will be good enough for Championship football and that we are still playing Championship football.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Nov 2009 16:13

Tbf i think davies was good enough for this level
and hopefully hell go on to prove that if he ever gets brought back here

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 09 Nov 2009 17:19

Does not buying one player and then buying 4 cheaper ones mean we've shelled out a fair bit more on wages and other costs ? I suspect Smith would have been well paid but if he was on 20k and Howard, MacAnuff and Rasiak were on £1ok and Cummings on 5k then that's pretty quickly used up the money saved on transfer fees.

But as Dirk says, none of us know and guessing is pointless. If JM makes money available then he does, I don;t think we should expect major spending but I would expect Rodgers to look to make adjustments to the sqaud in some form.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 09 Nov 2009 17:20

Sun Tzu Does not buying one player and then buying 4 cheaper ones mean we've shelled out a fair bit more on wages and other costs ? I suspect Smith would have been well paid but if he was on 20k and Howard, MacAnuff and Rasiak were on £1ok and Cummings on 5k then that's pretty quickly used up the money saved on transfer fees.

But as Dirk says, none of us know and guessing is pointless. If JM makes money available then he does, I don;t think we should expect major spending but I would expect Rodgers to look to make adjustments to the sqaud in some form.

Just to correct you on a technicality, I didn't say that none of us know. I said that Ian Royal doesn't know ..... :wink:

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 09 Nov 2009 20:26

Ian Royal We had ~£1.8m available for Smith. After that we signing Cummings ~£300k, Howard ~£500k, Rasiak ~£300k & McAnuff ~£500k.

PLEASE do not tell me Cummings cost us a fee?!?!? :evil:

Mad Dog's Ghost

by Mad Dog's Ghost » 09 Nov 2009 20:56

Yep. Could have got 3 Gurneys for that.

On the subject of another loanee, James Henry has not been given permission by Reading to play for Millwall tonight against AFC Wimbledon. Seems we're concentrating on the cup for a change this year.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 10 Nov 2009 11:27

Mad Dog's Ghost Yep. Could have got 3 Gurneys for that.

On the subject of another loanee, James Henry has not been given permission by Reading to play for Millwall tonight against AFC Wimbledon. Seems we're concentrating on the cup for a change this year.

Presumably by recalling all our loan players in January to form our FA Cup side ?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 10 Nov 2009 11:30

Sun Tzu
Mad Dog's Ghost Yep. Could have got 3 Gurneys for that.

Presumably by recalling all our loan players in January to form our FA Cup side ?

BR believes in momentum, so he won't want to affect it by wholesale changes once he has got a winning formation.

shaka's shorts

by shaka's shorts » 10 Nov 2009 11:38

The interesting thing about Henry is that he was not allowed to play but Scott Davies and Antonio were. That seems to show that he is closer to a recall than the others are. I noticed McCarthy didn't play either. Did Anderson? I don't think Mooney played either but that may be because he wasn't selected....

bubibe

by bubibe » 10 Nov 2009 11:53

Andersen did not play on Friday night for Bristol Rovers to avoid the cup tie issue

539 posts