Next Reading Manager: Press Conference @ 9:15

2614 posts
Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Next Reading Manager: Press Conference @ 9:15

by Barry the bird boggler » 26 Mar 2013 02:25

1 so what's changed if na's reported turning rfc down last week is true?
2 is it really 30 million or is that just crapola
3 will he keep us up
4 who's the no. 2

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Next Reading Manager

by Denver Royal » 26 Mar 2013 03:19

TBM
moo
TBM Anyone got any Saints reaction to Adkins being our new manager?!

Bet they're pretty pissed off, which is nice

They are saying he isn't that great, and they seem to hate 'poxy Reading'.

He'll do well for us and with a reported £30m to spend, he shouldn't fail to get us back up next season

30 mil? Wow, a tidy sum. Board/owner has maybe come to their senses then?

Still, clock will be ticking, and there will be no excuses. Yeah, he shouldn't fail then.

He'll be on a shorter leash than McD then? (Somewhere McD is both smiling and saying WTF?)

As for Saints - as if we should really care - reckon they aint losing too much sleep just yet. They made a move for 'the next level' and will be in Prem. How 'successful' as a result they - and we - prove to be, remains to be seen...

croche

by croche » 26 Mar 2013 05:49

I just hope that Adkins can put the club on a diet and maybe shed some of the dead weight!!

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 26 Mar 2013 07:01

30million a season to late.

Welcome on board Adkins, no pressure, promotion is a must.... That said a third chamionship title would be nice.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Mar 2013 07:37

sandman As per usual on HNA? people are not allowed a middle ground and if you're not singing from the rooftops, proclaiming the birth of the Messiah and declaring that "smiling's your favourite" then you're a miserable b'astard.

Stop sitting on the fence!

sandman Imho This isn't a great earth shattering appointment as many are claiming on here but it's not a terrible one either it's just... in the middle. A manager like Adkins was probably the most realistic option we could have gone for, certainly more realistic than the cock-up over Poyet and less volatile than Di Canio (rule number 39, there's no such thing as coincidence folks). We've basically swapped a good Championship manager with another good one. Nothing more nothing less.

I don't believe there will be massive changes that will change the face of the club as some seem to be baying for like wild animals. I also don't believe that Zingarevich would have been watching us beat Saints at St Mary's last season, looking at Adkins on the touchline and thinking "that's the guy I want to manage my club in a year".

An ok result from this process but one that despite the wishful thinking of the likes of Hoop, IR and Winchy baby has not gone smoothly.

I'd agree this isn't an earth shattering world changing appointment, and despite his record there's something about Adkins that doesn't float my boat, but it is a very solid appointment of a manager well suited to our requirements. He's well placed to evolve the squad and club.

I'd say the process probably hasn't gone as smoothly as they'd hoped, and it seems that they've had to work hard to get their man (be it 1st or 3rd choice in the end) but its nothing like a shambles that some are making it out to be.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 26 Mar 2013 07:43

SLAMMED Adkin's first signing confirmed

:lol:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Mar 2013 07:45

Simon's Church
Mr Optimist
akranes So, uh, to the people slating Adkins... who do you suggest be the next manager? Realistically?

Agree totally. Any dick can come up with smart arse comments but harder to come up with a credible alternative.

I probably can't come up with an alternative tbh but, like our signings this season, it just seems a bit lazy.

Did a premier league team backed by a billionaire really spend two weeks searching the globe to find that the best two available managers were in Southampton and Brighton :?:

The best managers who are available and have knowledge of the league and local market will be probably already be operating in the league though.

Bringing someone on from abroad might be appealing in some ways but it would also be more of a gamble than someone who's proved themselves here with multiple clubs (Poyet & Adkins for example).

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 26 Mar 2013 07:55

I've always found Adkins a bit smug.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 26 Mar 2013 07:58

Gordons Cumming I've always found Adkins a bit smug.

He does come across as quite the bellend, which is a little shame after likable managers like McDermott & Coppell probably had us seen in quite a good light.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 26 Mar 2013 08:01

I have to confess over here in Oz I am a bit out of touch and don't know Adkins well but I hear from a lot of people - not only on this board but fans of other clubs as well - that he is, well, a bit of a tosser basically. I would appreciate it if someone could explain a bit more clearly why people have this view of him because it seems pretty widespread.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 26 Mar 2013 08:07

Cripple Creek I have to confess over here in Oz I am a bit out of touch and don't know Adkins well but I hear from a lot of people - not only on this board but fans of other clubs as well - that he is, well, a bit of a tosser basically. I would appreciate it if someone could explain a bit more clearly why people have this view of him because it seems pretty widespread.

To my eye he's just not humble in interviews, many don't like that.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 26 Mar 2013 08:24

ZacNaloen
Cripple Creek I have to confess over here in Oz I am a bit out of touch and don't know Adkins well but I hear from a lot of people - not only on this board but fans of other clubs as well - that he is, well, a bit of a tosser basically. I would appreciate it if someone could explain a bit more clearly why people have this view of him because it seems pretty widespread.

Yeah probably that to be honest. May well be the kind of attitude that actually helps you out when you are in the kind of role that is so public and you will be scrutinised & criticised so much but it makes you seem like a bit of a helmet too.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 26 Mar 2013 08:25

Live on Sky Sports News , we have come on

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 26 Mar 2013 08:27

sandman Imho This isn't a great earth shattering appointment as many are claiming on here but it's not a terrible one either it's just... in the middle. A manager like Adkins was probably the most realistic option we could have gone for, certainly more realistic than the cock-up over Poyet and less volatile than Di Canio (rule number 39, there's no such thing as coincidence folks). We've basically swapped a good Championship manager with another good one. Nothing more nothing less.

I don't believe there will be massive changes that will change the face of the club as some seem to be baying for like wild animals. I also don't believe that Zingarevich would have been watching us beat Saints at St Mary's last season, looking at Adkins on the touchline and thinking "that's the guy I want to manage my club in a year".

Pretty much my take on it, too.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 26 Mar 2013 08:27

Apparently no press conference tomorrow. It's today!

willrfc

by willrfc » 26 Mar 2013 08:29

CONFIRMED

barelylubedcock

by barelylubedcock » 26 Mar 2013 08:51

Is this going to be streamed anywhere.?

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 26 Mar 2013 08:54

ZacNaloen

He comes across as confident.

barelylubedcock

by barelylubedcock » 26 Mar 2013 08:57

We can't have that.

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 26 Mar 2013 08:59

Can someone tell sky that his name is Adkins. not Atkins.

2614 posts