Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
maffff
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by maffff » 29 Nov 2013 16:04

floyd__streete it is him who is ultimately disposed of if he gets such decisions wrong.

Which is what happened.

It was the right decision.

Whether Adkins was the right decision and whether Adkins or McDermott would be better for us this year are two different questions and probably require their own threads.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 29 Nov 2013 16:06

Hoop Blah Just as another point about Guthrie's Sunderland fiasco, and one I made at the time. He didn't go because he said his head wasn't in the right place I think.

This week we've seen yet another high profile sportsman (Trott) have to withdraw their services for the team because they're struggling mentally. At the time Gurthrie had relocated down south, away from his family, had a new baby, failed to impose himself at a new club, found himself at logger heads with his new manager about how he should play and ultimately not performed very well.

It may well have been his cry for help. It well have been that he was hitting a bit of depression. It may well have been that he actually thought he wouldn't have been any use to the team because of where his relationship with the manager and form had got to.

It's not just as simple as he's paid shit loads to travel and he should, and I've always been a little amazed at brendy's views on this considering his mental health background!

i forgave the bloke as soon as he stepped up and apologised to manager fans and team.
and am happy to report that despite a few poor games he's still leading my POS thoughts.

its also not clear whether his head wasnt right cos he was in a huff about not playing every week, or cos he has psychological issues.

and you could have left the 'background' off the last sentence tbf

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 29 Nov 2013 16:07

Sanguine Tbh even if he just sacked it off to play Call of Duty, you'd think by now, given his obviously renewed attitude and generally very good performance for the club, that fans would just let it fcuking go.

im not sure if that was the reason id have ever forgiven him tbf

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 29 Nov 2013 16:08

floyd__streete
Wycombe Royal He didn't refuse to play, he refused to travel up to Sunderland to sit on the bench.

:|

That's the same thing, m8.

And LOL @ 'protest against his manager'. If my manager asks me to do something at work - no matter how daft I think it is - I have to get on and do it.

thats what the lower level nazis said at the war crime tribunals

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 29 Nov 2013 16:14

lol@comparing sitting on the bench at Sunderland with perpetuating one of the largest genocides in history

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 29 Nov 2013 16:29

Maguire lol@comparing sitting on the bench at Sunderland with perpetuating one of the largest genocides in history

I've been to Sunderland before, almost drove me to genocide.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 29 Nov 2013 16:36

melonhead
Extended-Phenotype
melonhead still refusing to play you divot
im saying the distinction you drew was the utterly meaningless argument of a mongdiv

To be honest, while not much of a point, there is a tiny one in the fact that he basically sat on a bench for the last umpteen games getting zero pitch time - so in a sense, I could see how Guthrie didn't feel his absence was the same as refusing to play football.

Tiny, weeny, point.

worst point ever, made as though it makes it ok
which brings me back to my original point

He wasn't playing. It appeared to him as if he wouldn't be playing again this time. He went "bugger it". - 10 points.

Different to: He was in the starting 11 in a role he didn't like and decided to feck it off. - 100 points.

He boycotted the fact he wasn't playing. That's not refusing to play, is it? If he was playing, he wouldn't have refused! Honestly, not saying it's okay - just saying there is a difference.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 29 Nov 2013 17:50

melonhead
P!ssed Off "I'm fed up sitting on the bench, I want to be in the starting 11!"
"Oh, so you don't want to play? Is that what you're saying?"

except thats the opposite of what actually happened. :roll:

:roll:

Vic_Flange

by Vic_Flange » 29 Nov 2013 18:20

Cureton's Volley
Royal91 Anyone still going on about Guthrie and Sunderland. Just F U CK OFF.

NAME ME ONE PLAYER THIS SEASON WHO HAS SHOWED MORE PASSION. He's our best player so f u c k i n g get over it.

At least he didn't f u c k off to play in the PL or force his way out in the summer.

You bunch of stupid c u n t s.

Bonus points for brevity and style! :D :D

D) 08457 90 90 90 is the the the sumer for samtirian

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 29 Nov 2013 18:28

Vic_Flange
Cureton's Volley
Royal91 Anyone still going on about Guthrie and Sunderland. Just F U CK OFF.

NAME ME ONE PLAYER THIS SEASON WHO HAS SHOWED MORE PASSION. He's our best player so f u c k i n g get over it.

At least he didn't f u c k off to play in the PL or force his way out in the summer.

You bunch of stupid c u n t s.

Bonus points for brevity and style! :D :D

D) 08457 90 90 90 is the the the sumer for samtirian

You drunk, or just illiterate?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Nov 2013 18:33

facaldaqui
Elm Park Kid Not sticking with Guthrie and playing Jay Tabb instead was McDermott's biggest mistake last season IMHO. I'm not sure it would have made a big difference to our final position, and it wasn't a cause to fire him, but I do accept the criticism.

I don't know. Tabb did well in those games, arguably better than Guthrie would have done if he was sulking and being uncooperative.
IIRC, Tabby got a few MOTM nominations in those particular games (some where poor games admittedly).......which made his release a bit puzzling.

Regarding Guffs (as already alluded to by others), he was (is) a Reading employee, paid (lots) by the likes of you. Irrespective of where his head was at, he should've been delighted to have made that trip....even if it was just as a supporter (a paid one at that).

Glad to see that he has impressed this season, allbeit at a lower level.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 29 Nov 2013 18:40

AthleticoSpizz
facaldaqui
Elm Park Kid Not sticking with Guthrie and playing Jay Tabb instead was McDermott's biggest mistake last season IMHO. I'm not sure it would have made a big difference to our final position, and it wasn't a cause to fire him, but I do accept the criticism.

I don't know. Tabb did well in those games, arguably better than Guthrie would have done if he was sulking and being uncooperative.
IIRC, Tabby got a few MOTM nominations in those particular games (some where poor games admittedly).......which made his release a bit puzzling.

IMO McDermott was a bit of a dick to Tabb.
Pretty much the only player to have played to their potential, Tabb actually played much better than many believed was possible.
Unceremoniously frozen out of the team, and shipped off on loan, for no apparent reason.
Yet another nail in Brian's coffin.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Nov 2013 19:00

Just wonder how much say the Russian had to do with the cossetting of Guffs and the coursing of Tabb....bearing in mind (our then) premiership credentials

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 29 Nov 2013 21:13

Extended-Phenotype "He wasn't playing. It appeared to him as if he wouldn't be playing again this time. He went "bugger it". - 10 points.

Different to: He was in the starting 11 in a role he didn't like and decided to feck it off. - 100 points.

He boycotted the fact he wasn't playing. That's not refusing to play, is it? If he was playing, he wouldn't have refused! Honestly, not saying it's okay - just saying there is a difference.

Second worst point ever.

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 30 Nov 2013 00:19

maffff
floyd__streete it is him who is ultimately disposed of if he gets such decisions wrong.

Which is what happened.

It was the right decision.

Whether Adkins was the right decision and whether Adkins or McDermott would be better for us this year are two different questions and probably require their own threads.

Oh god, what have you done :roll:

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 30 Nov 2013 02:49

P!ssed Off
AthleticoSpizz
facaldaqui I don't know. Tabb did well in those games, arguably better than Guthrie would have done if he was sulking and being uncooperative.

IMO McDermott was a bit of a dick to Tabb.
Pretty much the only player to have played to their potential, Tabb actually played much better than many believed was possible.
Unceremoniously frozen out of the team, and shipped off on loan, for no apparent reason.
Yet another nail in Brian's coffin.

+1 for Tabb being pretty tidy last year. Didn't look out of his depth and alongside Guthrie he could have formed a half-decent partnership.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 30 Nov 2013 11:27

Woodcote Royal officially 'busy' until at least next weekend.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Nov 2013 12:31

facaldaqui

Should have played them both.

No one says what guthrie did was right. But this season he's showing he's one of our best players when used correctly. He also showed the same in january when mcdermott briefly used him correctly. This just highlights what utter mismanagement it was to buy him to play him in a roll that he wasn't suited for. And then drop him and make him sit on the bench watching inferior players performiing badly and losing games. There were several games just before sunderland that cried out for guthrie and a tactical change and he never made it on the pitch.

He made the wrong call, but it's entirely understandable that he may not have felt any use to travel and sit on the bench under the circumstances. He's certainly made up for it since with his commitment and performances. He should have talked to mcdermott about it rather than ruling himself out. But its pretty obvious the relationship was broken sk that probably wasn't much of an option.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 30 Nov 2013 12:31

Sanguine Woodcote Royal officially 'busy' until at least next weekend.

He'll be back Tuesday night...

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 30 Nov 2013 14:16

Cureton's Volley
Sanguine Woodcote Royal officially 'busy' until at least next weekend.

He'll be back Tuesday night...

It must be pretty depressing hoping Reading lose every week.

3714 posts