SIGNED - Nicky Shorey

376 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: SPECULATION - Nicky Shorey

by Ian Royal » 10 Jul 2012 18:20

TheLawnMowerMan
Ian Royal If I haven't already said it: Shorey can fuk right off. Over 30, left with a stinking attitude and hasn't pulled up any trees since. The only player from the 106 team that can compete with Stephen "stupiddisruptivegit" Hunt in the never-darken-our-door-again stakes.

Ian Royal Can't say I'm particularly pleased to see the person back. We know he's quality, although he's not done an awful lot since he left us to show that quality. Taking away his time with us previously, he's a very good signing.

:shock:

I trust Brian's judgement. I'd never have brought him back, but he's a Reading player again now, so automatically gets my support until he proves himself to be shit / an arse.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Jul 2012 18:21

Dare to Dr£am He has said a few times now that he's sorry he let us down in his last season here, and that yes he did sulk, and the effort went missing. But he admits it, and feels he owes us, and I'm sure Brian will use that as motivation to get the best out of him again.

If anyone get a player going it's Brian! :shock:

In that case - and if it's true - I'm prepared to forgive and forget. Everyone makes mistakes and otherwise Shorey was always brillz and so important to us.

bracksroyal10 Not sure if it would work and we wouldn't do it unless we were very short on players for sure. But seeing as Harte and Shorey probably both have the two best deliverys in the squad has anyone about how a Harte - Shorey combo down the left wing would work obviously Harte being in the left back role? Shorey was very good at going forward for us wriggling his way into crossing positions.

Drop the club captain and last season's leading assister (last time I looked at the FL stats anyway) to play a 31 year old left back at left wing?

LMFAO.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: SIGNED: Nicky Shorey

by Millsy » 10 Jul 2012 18:22

Green Interesting how "resigned" (rezined) and "resigned" (re signed) are spelt the same but mean very different things.

Well I thought so.

Nowadays I have to resign myself to the fact that when I resign onto HNA I am bound to make a daft response like I am now.

dogzbollox

by dogzbollox » 10 Jul 2012 18:25

SWLR Great news - Sprog 2 can now re-cycle Sprog 1's England shirt with 'Shorey' on the back.

Also - in the training pictures on the OS.. who is the player with an Alice band in his blond locks (Mills v2.0 ?)

if you're referring to the Torres (attempt) look-a-like then yes

dogzbollox

by dogzbollox » 10 Jul 2012 18:27

dogzbollox
SWLR Great news - Sprog 2 can now re-cycle Sprog 1's England shirt with 'Shorey' on the back.

Also - in the training pictures on the OS.. who is the player with an Alice band in his blond locks (Mills v2.0 ?)

if you're referring to the Torres (attempt) look-a-like then yes

Edited to insert song request:

Your hair's embarrassing, you're hair's embarrassing, you're hair's embarrassing. you're hair's embarrassing ............et al

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 10 Jul 2012 18:30

No Fixed Abode You don't need a FIFA pro coaching licence to work out that you just need to stick a pacey winger up against Shorey or Harte to totally destroy Reading down that flank.

Don't get me wrong, Shorey and Harte are decent players, but when you're up against Antonio Valencia, you need to have a left back with a bit of pace. It's ok to play these two against sides who don't have so much pace on the right wing.....

You also dont need a FIFA pro coaching licence to work out that Reading won't be keeping a high line and will make it hard for teams to get in behind.

What waxers says makes sense - if the team is set up to play a certain way defensively that wont change just because a pacy full-back comes on. I think this may be more of an issue if we are a goal down and chasing the game as the temptation (and kind of requirement) is to push up.

Reading will be set up the following way:
- Keeping a deep defensive line
- Letting teams play in front of then to an extent
- Having 40% possession in games
- Attacking quickly when we win the ball (through Kebe/McLeary/McAnuff)
- Getting crosses in from open play
- Trying to have better stats from free-kicks/corners than other teams due to Harte/Shorey/Guthrie delivery and Pog/Roberts/Hunt in the box

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 10 Jul 2012 18:40

Shory and Harte have never had pace both managed well in the top flight, stop being frit you gyppos

rfc_fans

by rfc_fans » 10 Jul 2012 18:54

^^ I agree, neither have pace but both have proved they can be competitive at premiership level.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 10 Jul 2012 18:54

Welcome back Nicky.

I'm looking forward to Woodcote spontaneously combusting..........

:lol:

Optimist

by Optimist » 10 Jul 2012 19:02

We shouldn't sing "Shorey for England" this time, cos that's already been acheived, but a new song should also show our support for him doing something unheard of for a Reading player, any suggestions?

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 10 Jul 2012 19:06

He jumped at the chance of a 1 year deal?!?! At his 'tender' age?!?! Hmmmm...... No better offers then. Not surprising considering his (limited) performances since he left us. Hodgson even preferred playing a midfielder at full back rather than Shorey for a chunk of last season, and WBA are considered our contempories at Prem level.

If McD has signed him as a stop-gap, then a free, only a 1 year deal and less wages he was on last time he left us, might be a shrewd bit of business. I hope so. But he will have a lot of convincing to do.

So what's that now? 4 players in on either only 'frees' or 'Bosmans' ? Where's all the money gone Anton?!?! :lol:

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 10 Jul 2012 19:15

An excellent left back while at Reading the first time around who lost his way after going to Villa.

I hope he can up his game to the performance levels we have seen in the past!!

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 10 Jul 2012 19:29

I'm not sure he really lost his way. He's a borderline PL player and any PL team will always be looking to upgrade from borderline, West Brom and Fulham just as much as Villa. I do think he got more conservative from the moment he played for England onwards, and with his limitations conservative is maybe not the best attribute. I'm glad he's back and appreciate his candid comments about his departure.

robbieroyal

by robbieroyal » 10 Jul 2012 19:36

robinsfriday Have to say, that after the last three signings of McCleary, Pog and Guthrie this puts a bit of a downer on the summer signings a little. I really hope he proves me and a lot of us wrong but really we should be looking for a solid left back with Harte being backup. Not Harte/Shorey starting with the other as backup. But in BM I trust.

Couldn't put it better. My heart skipped a beat when I heard this news today (not in a good way). :(

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 10 Jul 2012 19:39

Interesting that he's taken the number 3 shirt. Suggest that he's generally ahead of Harte? He'll have a job winning over a lot of people if that's the case. I'm trying so hard to be optimistic about this. All i can cling to in this case is "in Brian we trust".

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

Re: SIGNED - Nicky Shorey

by Big Ern » 10 Jul 2012 20:02

This has 'Stop-Gap signing' all over it.

Pleased to see him back though. He may have left under a cloud, but that ws 4 years ago and people change. He will hold his own in the Prem without being spectacular or a liability, plus he was a free. More money saved we can put towards signing Messi.

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 10 Jul 2012 20:07

Left back position now manned with 2 solid players. Can only be good news.

Getting all misty eyed about 2005/6 now.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 10 Jul 2012 20:31

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 10 Jul 2012 20:41

Green Interesting how "resigned" (rezined) and "resigned" (re signed) are spelt the same but mean very different things.

Well I thought so.

You have, of course, answered your own point. One is resigned and the other is re-signed. Spell them correctly and there is no confusion!

Royal Prince

by Royal Prince » 10 Jul 2012 20:46

Optimist We shouldn't sing "Shorey for England" this time, cos that's already been acheived, but a new song should also show our support for him doing something unheard of for a Reading player, any suggestions?

Disagree, that chant reminds me of some great times, if anything we should embrace the England theme even more....

He's coming home,
He's coming home,
He's coming,
Shorey's coming home!

Shorey 4 England!!!!

Maybe even get a brass band together to sit with the drummer?! 8)

376 posts