Steve Clarke Sacked

269 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Steve Clarke Sacked

by sandman » 06 Dec 2015 22:25

LoyalRoyal22 I am split on the decision to sack Clarke but it's ignorant to say he was properly backed by the board. The £4m brought in from the Hector sale would have paid for most(or all of) our transfer dealings. Also, it was Clarke that really helped Hector push on, so you could say he pretty much brought the £4m in himself.

Boo, LoyalRoyal22, boo.

In all seriousness you can't defend Clarke on here atm as the hormonal tarts estrogen levels are still high due to the Fulham thing.

The Thai's haven't got any significant money, which is why they can't afford Pearson. They are relying on "Royal Elm Park" to be the thing that brings them wealth.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 06 Dec 2015 22:25

:D

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Dec 2015 23:09

sandman
LoyalRoyal22 I am split on the decision to sack Clarke but it's ignorant to say he was properly backed by the board. The £4m brought in from the Hector sale would have paid for most(or all of) our transfer dealings. Also, it was Clarke that really helped Hector push on, so you could say he pretty much brought the £4m in himself.

Boo, LoyalRoyal22, boo.

In all seriousness you can't defend Clarke on here atm as the hormonal tarts estrogen levels are still high due to the Fulham thing.

The Thai's haven't got any significant money, which is why they can't afford Pearson. They are relying on "Royal Elm Park" to be the thing that brings them wealth.

Why would you want to defend 34% win rate, 1.18 points per game and 1 win in 8 for a manager who was given the opportunity to sign about 13 new players in the summer transfer window? Even if you look at the performance just this season, it's no where near good enough for the play offs (36% wins, 1.4 ppg).

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 07 Dec 2015 13:39

I don’t think there was any choice but to "relieve him of his duties" and as IR says the record is in no way defensible.

But I am disappointed it has come to this and not a little confused.

Disappointed because I genuinely felt we had a team and squad capable of promotion, playing with a style I haven’t seen bettered at Reading for years if ever!

I wondered if I was overreacting to the (recent) good times but looking back at a couple of HNA match reports confirmed it wasn’t just me -
“It was a commanding performance from a side beginning to emerge as one of the strongest in the Championship. They are team with few weaknesses and strength in depth.”

The slick one touch passing was reminiscent of Arsenal, although we seemed to be developing Arsenals habit of overplaying things. (as happened v Fulham first half)

But not only did we look capable of promotion I felt it was a style that would serve us well in the Premier League.

It’s also left me bemused because I cant put my finger on what changed and why. It’s tempting to blame it all on Tish's injury and I certainly think that we were far more comfortable in defence when he played. But why didn’t Clarke adapt and keep the same formation but with a different player? Why did he keep trying different formations anyway?

But most puzzling is what was the fascination with Fulham? And what could they offer him that we couldn’t?
Once he went to speak to them he was gone and the atmosphere v Bolton was like none I have ever experienced before. No singing to speak of (and certainly nothing about Clarke) and there was a quiet tension in which you could hear the players talking. It was if the fans were just waiting to turn.

Anyway a brave new dawn awaits and I am hopeful someone can turn this squad’s performance around. But still disappointing and still puzzling.

2000th post so made an effort!

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Dec 2015 14:26

congrats on a significant milestone bcubed

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 08 Dec 2015 12:44

bcubed But most puzzling is what was the fascination with Fulham? And what could they offer him that we couldn’t?

A Michael Jackson statue?

Seriously, Steve Clarke was probably wondering the same - Why do Fulham think I'd move there? Maybe double his salary or promise of unlimited transfer funds.... as it turned out, I guess neither.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 08 Dec 2015 12:52

Forbury Lion
bcubed But most puzzling is what was the fascination with Fulham? And what could they offer him that we couldn’t?

A Michael Jackson statue?

Seriously, Steve Clarke was probably wondering the same - Why do Fulham think I'd move there? Maybe double his salary or promise of unlimited transfer funds.... as it turned out, I guess neither.

Fulham's owner has made lots of noises over the last few months about starting to spunk loads of money to get them back in the PL

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 08 Dec 2015 13:46

........and then appoints Stuart Gray

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 08 Dec 2015 13:50

lol

269 posts