2:30 PM PRESS CONFERENCE REGARDING COPPELL'S FUTURE

361 posts
brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: 2:30 PM PRESS CONFERENCE REGARDING COPPELL'S FUTURE

by brendywendy » 20 May 2008 17:26

Kitsondinho Just got in and seen the news......over the moon.....its good about the season tickets too, although I doubt I'll get one...even 25% off is still a bit steep coming down from Chesterfield every other week!

snot that far!

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 20 May 2008 17:33

brendywendy
Kitsondinho Just got in and seen the news......over the moon.....its good about the season tickets too, although I doubt I'll get one...even 25% off is still a bit steep coming down from Chesterfield every other week!

snot that far!

Distance wise tis not that far.....but it will strain my tiny budget!

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 20 May 2008 17:34

brendywendy

snot that far!

Distance wise tis not that far.....but it will strain my tiny budget!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 20 May 2008 17:35

fair enough

cant really talk living a 5 pound bus ride from the stadium

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 20 May 2008 17:42

Chairman Maj I know Danny Cipriani, what ho

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I bet Sky wanted to turn over about then.

crossie
Hob Nob Regular

by crossie » 20 May 2008 17:55

Has anyone mention the 'full transcript' on the OS?

Totally missed out the part about his hospital trip.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 May 2008 18:04

Good news indeed. Very pleasing to hear about the Season ticket prices. That should hold off a fair few grumbles. I wouldn't be surprised to see Coppell go at the end of the season regardless of what happens, but I don't think he'd give away his decision or fully make it until the end either.

Nice to see the likes of Pridders and Finerain continuing to show themselves to be total cock monkeys as always.

no doubt I have been hooked by their clever fishing. :roll:

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 20 May 2008 19:15

Yes it is good news...very important Coppell stays on. He wont be able to stop some players going but there wont be wholesale changes now. Besides there is no better qualified man to get us out of the Championship.
Well done to those who campaigned last Tuesday night...you did your bet and I'm sure it helped.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 May 2008 23:43

DELIGHTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I KNEW YOU WOULDN'T LET US DOWN COPPELL.

THE GREATEST OF ALL READING LEGENDS.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sydneyroyal

by Sydneyroyal » 21 May 2008 00:01

Very happy about Sir Steve - best chance of getting Reading back up.
Wont be seeing any games live this season even though the prices have been slashed - unfortunately airport tax from Sydney has gone up.

Does anyone know about TV coverage on Sky for next season?

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 21 May 2008 01:18

Sydneyroyal Very happy about Sir Steve - best chance of getting Reading back up.
Wont be seeing any games live this season even though the prices have been slashed - unfortunately airport tax from Sydney has gone up.

Does anyone know about TV coverage on Sky for next season?

We may show on a few of the 5-15 games Sky have. They seem to show 1 5-15Pm game a week on Saturday then sometimes a few midweek games. I can see us being on Sky maybe 3 or 4 times at least next season.

1871royals

by 1871royals » 21 May 2008 13:23

Just read through the transcript and SC mentions a few times about how he wants to be ‘remembered.’ I this SC is our best ever manager but do we want someone who isn’t here for the long term? IMO he wants to sign off with a promotion. The squad definitely needs a few players is the new manager in a year going to rate these players? One of our big strengths when we went up was our stability. I believe SC has the ability to take us up. Therefore we will be starting our Prem season with a new manager. I think we should get the new guy in now, give him an opportunity to mould his team. Then we will be better equipped for the long term. I don’t think SC is here for the long term.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 21 May 2008 13:28

1871royals Just read through the transcript and SC mentions a few times about how he wants to be ‘remembered.’ I this SC is our best ever manager but do we want someone who isn’t here for the long term? IMO he wants to sign off with a promotion. The squad definitely needs a few players is the new manager in a year going to rate these players? One of our big strengths when we went up was our stability. I believe SC has the ability to take us up. Therefore we will be starting our Prem season with a new manager. I think we should get the new guy in now, give him an opportunity to mould his team. Then we will be better equipped for the long term. I don’t think SC is here for the long term.

A lot of you seem to be assuming that we are going to breeze to promotion again this season... Can you all get a reality check please? While I'm very hopeful of promotion, and believe that if the squad remains relatively intact with a couple of shrewd buys, and they play to the potential we all know they have (which they failed to do this last season remember), we can be very successful, I've been a fan of Reading long enough (and by that I mean I know what football in the Championship and League 1 level is like) to know that it's never that simple. If everyone just assumes that we are going to be up then I fear for you and this board if/when it starts to go wrong.

1871royals

by 1871royals » 21 May 2008 13:33

I think there is a balance between being realist and have some optimism. I don’t think promotion will be a breeze but is achievable. Apart from Birmingham who seem to be in disarray, I think we have the best squad in this division. On paper (as we know nothings won there) we have a great chance. I do believe we will get promotion. But not sure if it will benefit us in long term with a manager who IMO is leaving next summer?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 21 May 2008 13:39

1871royals Therefore we will be starting our Prem season with a new manager.

Not sure if we will go up, but if we do the club will be faced with a far more difficult decision as to whether to try to retain Sir Steve then, than they faced this time. You will have some saying he isn't suited to the Premiership, and others saying he's learned some lessons and so he deserves another shot at it.

1871royals

by 1871royals » 21 May 2008 13:43

Personally I dont think its an issue whether we want SC. All the noises from the club mention "Honouring his contract." Irrespective of where we finish I very much doubt SC will be our manager next year and he will have taken that decision himself.

Richi Royal

by Richi Royal » 21 May 2008 13:52

As has been mentioned before, the CCC is usually a very tight league with a lot of average teams on about the same level. The difference between midtable mediocraty and promotion challanges IMO is usually only one or two players who have the ability to turn a tight game into a one nil win. In the season we went up we had 5 of these players (doyle, lita, kitson, little and convey) who had the ability to win the game with a bit of brillance, and luckly for us they happened all the time, often at begingin of games which opened them up.

In January Watford were leading contenders for promotion, but in january they sold king and the wheels came off, had alot of draw and scraped a play off place. In mid Janurary wolves were 12th in free fall down the league, they get kightly fit and sign ebanks blake and they suddenyl are contenders for a playoff place and narrowly miss out. In Jan charlton are in play off place, sell reid and they slip down the league finish 11th. Hull are an average side with out campbell, but with him they are challenging for automatic.

Now obvisouly there are other factors which account for promotion/ midtable , but the point is one or two players can make all the difference which is why if we can keep hold of Marek, Doyle and Kitson, get little and Convey firing and add a few QUALITY players i am confident we can launch a serious promotion challange.

1871royals

by 1871royals » 21 May 2008 13:56

Currently I define our squad as minus Shorey, Lita and Hunt. I think those 3 are off. I have faith in SC to find some reasonable replacements.

Apart from Birmingham I think our squad is better then anything else in the championship?

Which squad would you rather have than ours in this division?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 21 May 2008 13:59

1871royals Which squad would you rather have than ours in this division?

Is this the summer 2008 equivalent of the winter's three worse teams?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 21 May 2008 14:05

people like floyd really amaze me
im not saying his opinions are wrong, as this season has born out, if you keep on with the same message for long enough you will end up right eventually, and we could well be in midtable at xmas, with alot of you thinking, coppell should have gone
i just dont get how you go from day to day, still supporting reading with that negative attitude.

but then i was amember of the RTGB for a reason, so of course i will never understand it.
Last edited by brendywendy on 21 May 2008 14:08, edited 1 time in total.

361 posts