play-offs?

567 posts
mx

Re: play-offs?

by mx » 24 Mar 2010 22:58

Since this run started I've been saying there's no way we will make the play offs, and I will keep on saying it.

:P

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 24 Mar 2010 23:00

nev monkey
Dirk Gently Never forget the direness and fragility of Cardiff's financial situation..... that could be the wild-card in this situation!

I believe that if they're not in administration by tomorrow night then they won't get a points deduction this season. If they go into administration after tomorrow then any points deduction will take place next season.

So, on that basis we will have to catch them fair & square.

Much as I'd love it too happen I'd also like a few more youngsters & fringe players bedded in once we're safe as preparation for next season. Can't have it both I suppose.

As has already been pointed out, that's not true. The points deduction only gets carried over to next season if they were to be relegated (& the deduction did not get them relegated).

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Mar 2010 09:53

Regardless of any administration - prior to the game at Cardiff on 10th April - Cardiff play one more game than us (their game in hand on those around them) - they also have a tough run of games with 3 of their opponents in the play-off places.

Games to April 10th

Cardiff
Palace (a)
Leicester (h)
Swansea (h)
Forest (a)

Swansea
Ipswich (h)
Cardiff (a)
Scunthorpe (h)

Reading
West Brom (h)
Ipswich (a)
Coventry (h)

So theoretically we could be in a position after the 10th April where winning our games in hand will see us bypass Cardiff or Swansea.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 25 Mar 2010 11:36

Since he became permanent Manager

09 1 0 W H Barnsley
10 2 1 W A Doncaster
11 2 1 W H Plymouth
13 3 1 W A Crystal Palace
14 0 2 L A Blackpool
16 5 0 W H Wednesday
18 4 1 W H Derby
19 2 0 W H Bristol City
20 1 0 W H QPR
21 1 1 D A Middlesboro
22 2 1 W A Leicester

23 8

P11 W9 D1 L1 28 2.54 points/game = 117 point season!

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 25 Mar 2010 12:56

IMO, we are more likely to catch Swansea than Cardiff.

Cardiff: 8 points behind them (+ 1 if you take into consideration that their GD is 18 better than ours) with one game in hand.

Swansea: 10 points behind them (+0 for GD as it's only 4 better than ours so, were we to catch them, we'd probably have caught up) with two games in hand.

Swansea also have no wins in their last four games.

It's still a big ask though.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Mar 2010 13:02

A big agreed there...

But if we were to finish with the form we currently have - then I'd say it's very likely.

27 points left to play for - if we get 22 of those (W7 D1 L1) then that's 73pts which I think will just be enough.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 25 Mar 2010 13:12

As much as I'd love to reach the playoffs, it's so enjoyable compared with time under Rodgers to be safe from relegation with games to play and just watch, relaxed knowing we won't go down and at worst we will finish mid-table

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 25 Mar 2010 13:24

I agree that it's a big ask, to maintian this form would be a miracle and we obviously need a few teams to slip up as well.

I can't believe that it's still March and we are safe now. We were a relegation bound side before Big Mac stepped in, the transformation has been incredible.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 25 Mar 2010 13:27

Hadn't read much of this thread until this morning but...................... after last night, stuff work :P

After the 12 month nightmare that was 2009, what sheer joy it is to be spending time looking up the table rather than down and, whatever happens now, Brian McDermott's impact on this season since SJM handed him the reigns has been simply staggering. That old saying in football about needing bad times to appreciate the good ones is really appropriate here.

Last season we expected to be in the mix and throwing it away was, IMHO, rank bad management.

Now, with nearly all our major stars departed the kids, and a few well chosen older heads, are a match for anyone in this division (even Newcastle)

As much as I loved James Harper, now he doesn't have to play week in week out, suddenly we have quality midfielders coming out of ours ears, including one most of us hadn't seen this time last year who some already value at a million and think we won't hang onto in the summer :|

There's not only life after Brendan, there's life after Steve, too!!!

And, thinking back to Coppell's floundering favourites, who I could no longer face watching this time last year, THANK FCUK FOR THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

If, and as many have said anything is possible now, we get promoted via the play offs, Brian McDermott should either be granted the freedom of the town or, drowned as a witch..................................I would prefer to see the former :D

Seriously, though, there is simply no praise high enough for what this man has done for our club and I can't help feeling a touch of guilt in that there was more chance of hell freezing over than any of us throwing his hat in the ring last summer. Thanks a million, Brian.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 25 Mar 2010 15:38

T.R.O.L.I. IMO, we are more likely to catch Swansea than Cardiff.

Cardiff: 8 points behind them (+ 1 if you take into consideration that their GD is 18 better than ours) with one game in hand.

Swansea: 10 points behind them (+0 for GD as it's only 4 better than ours so, were we to catch them, we'd probably have caught up) with two games in hand.

If we win our game in hand on Cardiff AND win the game against them (both very possible) we would be 2 points behind them.

I reckon that makes it (just) a bit more likely that we could catch Cardiff than Swansea.

I've not felt like this since the 106 season. I kept thinking someone would pinch me and it would be Sunday morning after the home defeat to Plymouth. Someone's going to do it again and it'll be December and we're still heading for League One.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 25 Mar 2010 15:52

We are now 8-1 to get promoted...

working class hero

by working class hero » 25 Mar 2010 16:07

Remember when Palace stuffed us 3-0 at the Madstad and levered themselves out of the relegation spots and on to promotion via the play-offs?

That could be us.

Remember how crap they were in the Prem and came straight back down?
That could be us too.

We are winning without playing well a lot of the time. We do not look anything like a prem team. Along with Billy Davies' Forest I suggest we are not ready for promotion.

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 25 Mar 2010 16:15

Franchise FC
T.R.O.L.I. IMO, we are more likely to catch Swansea than Cardiff.

If we win our game in hand on Cardiff AND win the game against them (both very possible) we would be 2 points behind them.

I reckon that makes it (just) a bit more likely that we could catch Cardiff than Swansea.

I've not felt like this since the 106 season. I kept thinking someone would pinch me and it would be Sunday morning after the home defeat to Plymouth. Someone's going to do it again and it'll be December and we're still heading for League One.

Don't forget Swansea still have to play away to Cardiff as well

On balance Cardiff look to have a slightly easier run-in so Swansea would seem to be a more likely target.

Finally Swansea lost 5-0 at Blackpool on Tuesday.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 25 Mar 2010 16:15

We weren't ready for promotion in 2006 either.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 25 Mar 2010 16:20

working class hero Remember when Palace stuffed us 3-0 at the Madstad and levered themselves out of the relegation spots and on to promotion via the play-offs?

That could be us.

That could be us too.

We are winning without playing well a lot of the time. We do not look anything like a prem team. Along with Billy Davies' Forest I suggest we are not ready for promotion.

Hooray, there's that bit of negativity we've all missed recently. Why aren't we ready for promotion when we've handled ourselves against Prem sides already this year, we'd likely make at least small enhancements to the squad in the summer and the bottom half of the premier league is frankly bobbins?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 25 Mar 2010 16:22

Silver Fox
working class hero Remember when Palace stuffed us 3-0 at the Madstad and levered themselves out of the relegation spots and on to promotion via the play-offs?

That could be us.

That could be us too.

Hooray, there's that bit of negativity we've all missed recently. Why aren't we ready for promotion when we've handled ourselves against Prem sides already this year, we'd likely make at least small enhancements to the squad in the summer and the bottom half of the premier league is frankly bobbins?

The fact that this squad has spent all season in the bottom half of the division before Tuesday night would probably suggest they aren't quite ready to play in the Premiership against those teams on a regular basis.

However if you can get it, you take it!!

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 25 Mar 2010 16:25

You don't get to chose when you get promotion. If we end up losing players in the summer and go back to struggling in this division, those claiming that we'd be better off failing to reach the playoffs will look pretty silly. Also, it's not that hard to stay up in the Premiership. Even Hull and Burnley still have a chance of staying up. If we kept the squad together and added another couple of decent signings, would we be a lot worse than them?

Won't happen, but still.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 25 Mar 2010 16:25

But there was clearly something amiss for the first half of the season. Whether that was just Rodgers or what I don't know, but now the same team (plus Griff and AK) can beat anyone in this division, why not at the very least the botoom half of the Prem?

Unless of course the second half of the season is the anomaly and the first half was actually how good they are?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 25 Mar 2010 16:30

Silver Fox But there was clearly something amiss for the first half of the season. Whether that was just Rodgers or what I don't know, but now the same team (plus Griff and AK) can beat anyone in this division, why not at the very least the botoom half of the Prem?

Unless of course the second half of the season is the anomaly and the first half was actually how good they are?

It's been the strangest season I can remember for Reading. First half of the season, up to and including Plymouth away I thought honestly they were certanties for bottom 4/5 and would probably go down.

The run they've been on is absolutely incredible. I've got a feeling that where they are now they will end up give or take which would be about right this year.

Then it would be about keeping as many as possible and tweeking it here and there for a promotion season next year.

However if it's on offer this year and they can keep this run going why not?

To answer your second point I have no idea. :lol: roLOLOLercoaster

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 25 Mar 2010 16:52

savage 4 england We are now 8-1 to get promoted...

Mental!

567 posts