Thames Sports Investment

5145 posts
Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Thames Sports Investment

by Hampshire Royal » 20 Apr 2012 12:15

The Rouge Sure the desire is there, which is good.

I don't really want us to sign premier league established names though - on the way down, big wages, maybe a bit mercenary. I want my Doyles and Leigertwoods..

...and Roberts'.

As far as expanding the ground, who would have thopught a few years ago that we wouldn't have a league gate of under 10,000 for as long as we have? I remember when a crowd of 5000 was considered good. As someone said above, we would fill a 38,000 stadium for the London clubs and for the big northern clubs. I like the idea of schemes like Kids for a quid for the smaller clubs, added together to graded pricing (you know, Gold, Silver and Bronze games) If I cvould have got a ticket I would have gone on Tuesday and today.

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 20 Apr 2012 12:35

I just hate the feckin fact that now I won't get to go to any away games anymore. Except Stoke and Wigan.

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 20 Apr 2012 12:40

Yorkshire Royal I just hate the feckin fact that now I won't get to go to any away games anymore. Except Stoke and Wigan.

Apart from the 'big days out' we very rarely sold out last time around. You should be fine.

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 20 Apr 2012 12:53

When I manage my token few away games each year I always find them hugely more enjoyable than the average home game.

Apart that is from the Prem years, when they suddenly seemed to turn into home crowds- being asked to sit down, don't offend the kiddies etc.

#becarefulwhatyouwishfor

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 20 Apr 2012 12:55

#onlyusehashtagsintwitter

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 20 Apr 2012 12:59

Dare to Dr£am
Yorkshire Royal I just hate the feckin fact that now I won't get to go to any away games anymore. Except Stoke and Wigan.

Apart from the 'big days out' we very rarely sold out last time around. You should be fine.

Yeah last time round I had given up my season ticket season before promotion but had no trouble going to away games. Mainly in the north as was living in Scotland. Big days out are one thing, but a few thousand people are hardly going to start going to loads of away games.

I'd expect general sale for
Aston Villa, West Brom, Wigan, Stoke, Wigan/Blackburn/Bolton/QPR, Swansea, Norwich, Man City, Everton, Sunderland, Newcastle, West Ham/Brum/Blackpool/Cardiff

Points needed for:
Southampton, Fulham, Tottenham, Liverpool

Ticket scrambles for:
Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 20 Apr 2012 13:01

JC
Royal Lady
Cobi SJM has just announced the TSI deal should be completed next week - FL (RT).

AZ plans expansion to 38k next summer if we stay up.

He's an idiot then, if true.

Why?

Exactly.

Currently, the vast majority of the Stadium’s 24,500 capacity is filled by season ticket
holders, leaving less than 3,000 seats available for matchday sales. This means that
thousands of local football supporters have little opportunity to experience the thrill
and excitement of watching their team at a live match.

The Stadium must expand so that more people from the local community can
share in the Club’s success and play a part in our continued development. Reading
Football Club has serious ambitions to become one of the leading forces in English
football – this goal can not be achieved in a 24,500 seater stadium.

Same again next season.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 20 Apr 2012 13:23

When we moved into the MadStad we wondered how we would ever fill 24000 on a consistent basis.

Aren't we now glad we did build it that big though?

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 20 Apr 2012 13:32

Yorkshire Royal I think you underestimate the glory hunting supporters our club attracts. Or less cynically, the number of fair weather fans. Or even less cynically, the large fanbase who cannot usually afford to go to every game etc..

That's how it is for me. I live 60 miles away, and work full time, and have a family, which means I usually can only attend 5 or 6 games a season. I was there on tuesday, but it's bitter-sweet as i won't be able to watch any games at all next year now.

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 20 Apr 2012 13:44

On the plus side, we'll be on TV more.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 20 Apr 2012 14:19

Hampshire Royal

I don't really want us to sign premier league established names though - on the way down, big wages, maybe a bit mercenary. I want my Doyles and Leigertwoods..

...and Roberts'.

I may have to duck after saying this but I don't think Roberts will do that well next year. I hope to be proved wrong.
I think Alfie will make the step up very well though. (As an aside, how fukking quick was Alfie the other night? It was like a fresh-from-Birmingham Forster was on the pitch...)

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 20 Apr 2012 14:21

The Rouge
Hampshire Royal

...and Roberts'.

I may have to duck after saying this but I don't think Roberts will do that well next year. I hope to be proved wrong.
I think Alfie will make the step up very well though. (As an aside, how fukking quick was Alfie the other night? It was like a fresh-from-Birmingham Forster was on the pitch...)

Agreed re ALF. He was fast... Not sure about Roberts but even if he isn't that good it is only a one season contract and he might do well.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 Apr 2012 14:42

Royal Lady
Cobi SJM has just announced the TSI deal should be completed next week - FL (RT).

AZ plans expansion to 38k next summer if we stay up.

He's an idiot then, if true.

I don't really have anything to say but this did make me laugh.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 20 Apr 2012 14:58

I do worry about the stadium expansion. We all know how the crowds go down when we drop a league so I think we'd ever only fill anywhere near 30,000 in the championship if we have a long (10 year stay) in the premiership and attract a larger new generation of fans.

Though I must say that when watching back videos of the pitch invasion I was struck by the amount of young lads there were. When I first started going with my mates when I was about 13 there were hardly any other young groups of boys because everyone supported prem teams.

Tommy Youlden's Ears

by Tommy Youlden's Ears » 20 Apr 2012 15:10

marcusopp
Yorkshire Royal I think you underestimate the glory hunting supporters our club attracts. Or less cynically, the number of fair weather fans. Or even less cynically, the large fanbase who cannot usually afford to go to every game etc..

That's how it is for me. I live 60 miles away, and work full time, and have a family, which means I usually can only attend 5 or 6 games a season. I was there on tuesday, but it's bitter-sweet as i won't be able to watch any games at all next year now.

Same here. 45 miles away, busy family, seen six home games season, and had a father-son evening on Tuesday that we'll both treasure forever. On pitch, son on shoulders, singing all the songs I've taught him. Priceless. All that baiting he's bravely withstood from his mates who've taken the easy route and support Chelsea, Liverpool, Utd etc. is now worth it. He understands real pride in a proper team.

He's not plastic. He's the future. He loves live football, hates it on telly. "You don't really see the skills, or the speed". No you don't matey. Nor feel the pride, sing/shout/scream, learn proper swearing, and scoff a foot long sausage.

But I can't justify the cash to buy two season tickets for maybe 8 games next year.

So when he said, bursting with enthusiasm, 'does this mean we can see Reading beat Utd next season, I hate Rooney' I had to gently suggest it's unlikely. Heartbreaking really.

Anton can't build his 38,000 seater quick enough for me.

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 20 Apr 2012 15:26

Tommy Youlden's Ears
marcusopp

Same here. 45 miles away, busy family, seen six home games season, and had a father-son evening on Tuesday that we'll both treasure forever. On pitch, son on shoulders, singing all the songs I've taught him. Priceless. All that baiting he's bravely withstood from his mates who've taken the easy route and support Chelsea, Liverpool, Utd etc. is now worth it. He understands real pride in a proper team.

He's not plastic. He's the future. He loves live football, hates it on telly. "You don't really see the skills, or the speed". No you don't matey. Nor feel the pride, sing/shout/scream, learn proper swearing, and scoff a foot long sausage.

But I can't justify the cash to buy two season tickets for maybe 8 games next year.

So when he said, bursting with enthusiasm, 'does this mean we can see Reading beat Utd next season, I hate Rooney' I had to gently suggest it's unlikely. Heartbreaking really.

Anton can't build his 38,000 seater quick enough for me.

Good post, great to hear about you taking your lad and him getting pride in the club, he is the future.

I hope you get the tickets to the big games.

My grandmother used to take me when I was young, now shes a bit too fragile to take to the mad stad.

I go mostly by myself to watch games (160 mile round trip) its important to think about the future supporters and its not just up to the club and team to generate interest its our club we are responsible.

Thats why I get annoyed with plebs screaming fcuk off our bandwagon, plastics blah blah blah (especially when most of them look like mummy and daddy buy their tickets and only have to travel a couple of miles to the stadium) all our welcome.

Extra seats will help to ensure we all get seats but member points schemes do help

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 20 Apr 2012 15:54

Talksport winding things up a bit - http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/extra- ... ken-170304

But John Madejski today said he expects the deal to go through next week, so the sooner the better. The scaremongering now people are looking at us is becoming tiresome.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 20 Apr 2012 15:54

Private Eye are in on the act as well

But it's the same guilt by association, why is it taking so long stuff.

It's taking so long because they are being careful, not because there is anything dodgy. :roll:
Last edited by ZacNaloen on 20 Apr 2012 15:55, edited 1 time in total.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 20 Apr 2012 15:55

ZacNaloen Private Eye are in on the act as well

I tend to trust the Eye

Which page?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 20 Apr 2012 15:55

I don't read it, I got it from the football economy website.

http://www.footballeconomy.com/content/ ... ver-doubts?

5145 posts