Adkins - Pros and Cons

847 posts
Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Nigel Adkins

by Mr Angry » 20 Oct 2014 12:50

FFS

All this thread needs is a oxf*rd poll to be complete.

(and Page 1 in before the merge)......

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 20 Oct 2014 12:52

Agree with you but also agree that we do not need another thread of this.

Martin41

by Martin41 » 20 Oct 2014 12:53

Forbury Lion Another Nigel Adkins thread, just what we need. :roll:

Agreed!!!!!! However saying that, he's not for me never was, not changed my mind.
Working with kids, look at the team on sat apart from hector and Taylor, lots of expereince in that team, a lot in the prem as well, so the kids thing does not wash with me.
And yes Brendan did well when he left. But sometimes people just don't fit in a role for whatever reason.
If the next 3 games fail to produce an improvement, then for me thanks but no thanks, time for a change.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 20 Oct 2014 12:54

This isn't remotely comparable to the Rodgers situation. Rodgers was screwing up left, right, and centre and we were looking like very strong candidates for relegation. Adkins hasn't dropped his big name signing and two of his three best players (soon sold for ~£14m between them), or experimented with crazy tactics, or stuck his best player out of position, or told Gunnarsson he could leave, or screwed up the signing of Tommy Smith...

Amato

by Amato » 20 Oct 2014 12:59

SCIAG This isn't remotely comparable to the Rodgers situation. Rodgers was screwing up left, right, and centre and we were looking like very strong candidates for relegation. Adkins hasn't dropped his big name signing and two of his three best players (soon sold for ~£14m between them), or experimented with crazy tactics, or stuck his best player out of position, or told Gunnarsson he could leave, or screwed up the signing of Tommy Smith...

Rodgers was trying to play football as opposed the kick and rush McDermott espoused. My point is managers need time, not sacking. This is not Leeds

John Peel

by John Peel » 20 Oct 2014 13:01

I agree with this post. Not because I love Adkins - just because I'm no longer a fickle football fan. And I don't place my happiness on whether we win on a Saturday anymore (which wasn't the case a few years back!). Let the guy have a chance this season and see what we do. Even with the new investors he has lost players and not brought in many.

The only criticism I have is that he might want to consider getting a new defensive coach.

But as for people coming on here and saying he's tactically inept etc - give me break. Is that based on your knowledge of Championship Manager then?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 20 Oct 2014 13:13

Very harsh on McDermott and a bit of a stereotype of Rodgers' time at the club. In Brian's first half-season as manager, we played some lovely football. We had a midfield trio of Tabb, Howard and Sigurdsson, all good to excellent footballers, with Kebe and McAnuff either side and Bertrand overlapping down the left. Long had quite a poor goal tally (5, iirc, supplemented by some penalties) because we weren't set up around his pace like we would be the next season, we were set up around working the ball into good positions for Sigurdsson in particular. Contrastingly a lot of the football under Rodgers was dreadful. Compare our home performances against Peterborough and Scunthorpe, for example.

I do agree that we shouldn't be sacking managers prematurely, in fact short of scandal I think Reading managers should only lose their job if we're at risk of relegation to League 1, but Adkins isn't doing nearly as badly as Rodgers, who was rightly sacked.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 20 Oct 2014 13:36

Getting rid of Adkins is not the answer, and you'll only get Dolan in, who is pretty much like-for-like but without the experience Adkins has.

Adkins has only just been given some backing. It's going to take a couple more windows and a lot more £'s to shift the dead wood and replace it with players who can play his style of football.

People keep saying he's had long enough, but he hasn't really, has he?! He came in and was made a load of promises and all were broken. The first season and a bit were all about doing the best you can with what you have - and what we have/had wasn't good enough and still isn't good enough, to pass the ball; nor were they any where near composed enough on the ball. He deserves at least another 18 months. Next season is really when I want to see results from his changes. You shouldn't expect them now!

New owners does not mean huge investment, but again many, certainly on social media, think it does. You should just be grateful we didn't go into admin, and we're not at the bottom of the table clawing back points from a - deficit, and counting the cost of having to sell however many of our best players. League 1 would have almost certainly been calling!

Have some fricking patience and just accept this is a mid-table type season, and support the players. Don't bring your negative attitude to the stadium and add to the frustrating amount of negativity already building.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 20 Oct 2014 13:39

Rogers was developing and building a side for the future, he was sacked because he wasn't getting results in the present and whilst that isn't the end of the world if everyone knows you're building for the future, you have to stay away from a relegation fight at all costs, even if it means sacrificing you're football philosophy and playing long ball & 11 men behind the ball just to get the points.... once the points cushion is back in place, you can go back to teaching the players how to play the way you want them to play.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 20 Oct 2014 13:53

I'm not even going to bother merging the next identikit, unhelpfully-titled new Adkins thread. I'm just going to delete it without warning.

Feel free to save a copy first if you feel your contribution has value.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 20 Oct 2014 14:03

Amato
SCIAG This isn't remotely comparable to the Rodgers situation. Rodgers was screwing up left, right, and centre and we were looking like very strong candidates for relegation. Adkins hasn't dropped his big name signing and two of his three best players (soon sold for ~£14m between them), or experimented with crazy tactics, or stuck his best player out of position, or told Gunnarsson he could leave, or screwed up the signing of Tommy Smith...

Rodgers was trying to play football as opposed the kick and rush McDermott espoused. My point is managers need time, not sacking. This is not Leeds

Anyone who went to the evening with Brian last week will tell you that he does not "espouse" anything other than using the players at your disposal in a way that suits them. As Brian said last Thursday night and SCIAG pointed out, "we didn't play 442 when we had Gylfi"
Last edited by sandman on 20 Oct 2014 14:09, edited 1 time in total.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 20 Oct 2014 14:08

SPARTA Getting rid of Adkins is not the answer, and you'll only get Dolan in, who is pretty much like-for-like but without the experience Adkins has.

Adkins has only just been given some backing. It's going to take a couple more windows and a lot more £'s to shift the dead wood and replace it with players who can play his style of football.

People keep saying he's had long enough, but he hasn't really, has he?! He came in and was made a load of promises and all were broken. The first season and a bit were all about doing the best you can with what you have - and what we have/had wasn't good enough and still isn't good enough, to pass the ball; nor were they any where near composed enough on the ball. He deserves at least another 18 months. Next season is really when I want to see results from his changes. You shouldn't expect them now!

New owners does not mean huge investment, but again many, certainly on social media, think it does. You should just be grateful we didn't go into admin, and we're not at the bottom of the table clawing back points from a - deficit, and counting the cost of having to sell however many of our best players. League 1 would have almost certainly been calling!

Have some fricking patience and just accept this is a mid-table type season, and support the players. Don't bring your negative attitude to the stadium and add to the frustrating amount of negativity already building.

I don't get this "current players aren't good enough, give him time to sign new players" crap. He's working with our much-lauded academy players who are supposedly schooled in the same possession-based style plus he's been at the club 18 months now (the 6th longest serving manager in the league) and there should be some evidence of his coaching ability. Instead I see none. In fact several players appear to have gone backwards under his tutelage. I wouldn't mind if there were some signs of progress but for every decent display against the likes of Fulham there's half dozen displays of turgid, one-paced, narrow, impotent crap.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 20 Oct 2014 14:13

SPARTA

People keep saying he's had long enough, but he hasn't really, has he?!

He's been dishing up sh*t football for far longer, and at a lower level, than McDermott did before he was sacked whilst the latter had already produced a play-off final, a Championship plus 2 cup quarter finals in his previous 2 and a half seasons.

In his 20 months in charge, what has Adkins, the tactical pygmy, achieved?

What half step in the right direction has he made other than to preside over our longest injury list for a decade? Not bad for someone who used to call himself a physio.

Our defence is an utter disgrace and he deserves to lose his job for that alone.

If conceding double figures on Tuesday guarantees that he goes, I'll happily play in goal.

Someone, whatever the cost, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get rid off this twat :evil:

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Adkins - Pros and Cons

by Sanguine » 20 Oct 2014 14:25

And what/who next for Reading, WR?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 20 Oct 2014 14:34

I'd be hard pushed to single out a Championship manager who I wouldn't swap Adkins for and that includes his opposite number tomorrow night.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 20 Oct 2014 14:37

And you think he would move to Reading?

Just suggesting here that sacking a manager with no plan what comes next would be utterly foolish. So who is coming in, and what will they do differently?

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 20 Oct 2014 14:39

only two managers out of work i would have over adkins are moyes and pulis - good luck trying to get them

and of the managers in work that would be prepared to come here..... i cant think of any that would be an improvement

under the tin

by under the tin » 20 Oct 2014 14:55

Sanguine And you think he would move to Reading?

Just suggesting here that sacking a manager with no plan what comes next would be utterly foolish. So who is coming in, and what will they do differently?

We're 3 months into the season, and staring relegation in the face.!!!!!!!!!!

Were McD still manager, we'd be 78 points clear at the top by now, Karacan would have recovered from his injury by mid August, AZ would have bankrolled the signing of Kuna Aguero, McCarthy would still be here, grown another two arms, and has successfully displaced Joe Hart as England No.1. The Ebola outbreak would not have happened. ISIS would be a beacon for peace and moderation.
Can't you see????? It's all bleedin' Adkins' fault

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 20 Oct 2014 14:56

Sanguine And you think he would move to Reading?

I've no idea but our ability to attract a suitable candidate has reduced considerably while Adkins has been charge and keeping someone who is taking us nowhere is only going to make that situation worse.

Despite the injuries, we have a decent squad that all of Pardew, Coppell and McDermott would have done better with. All of them could only dream of having the crop of youngsters that are currently being wasted on the tactical pygmy.

Frankly, to say Adkins must stay because we won't get anyone else borders on desperation from his fan club.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 20 Oct 2014 14:59

:lol: F*cking hell woodcote that some seriously lame shit right there, even by your standards

847 posts