NO LONGER A RUMOUR - Alan Bennett

342 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jan 2007 19:52

Top Flight Well at least Sodje was proven at a level that we all understand......

Its difficult to Gauge the quality in the Eircom league when you don't watch it regularly.

We don't as fans admitedly but the club do and have done for many seasons so obviously have a good guide of which players can and cannot make the transition. He may be a failure but given the success of the two players we picked up from the unknown quantity, I'm happy to accept he will adapt until shown differently.

Mr Sonko

£300k ??

by Mr Sonko » 29 Jan 2007 20:00

Just a thought after the FAC draw today: Man U away will net us 40% of the gate, how much will we clear on that one extra game alone? I'd say over £500k at the least...

And what a lot of fuss over £300k to fill a clear gap in our squad!

Sometimes I think Sidders has a point when he says Reading need to think like a Prem club now..

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

Re: £300k ??

by Archie's penalty » 29 Jan 2007 20:35

Mr Sonko Just a thought after the FAC draw today: Man U away will net us 40% of the gate, how much will we clear on that one extra game alone? I'd say over £500k at the least...

Sometimes I think Sidders has a point when he says Reading need to think like a Prem club now..

I think ure post hits the nail well and truly on the head

- spend the 300k see how he is - we're gonna get about 20 million squid from staying up - oxf*rd me

sure Bennett's gonna be good so Reading and u lot should have some faith!

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

Re: £300k ??

by Uke » 29 Jan 2007 21:04

Archie's penalty
Mr Sonko Just a thought after the FAC draw today: Man U away will net us 40% of the gate, how much will we clear on that one extra game alone? I'd say over £500k at the least...

I think ure post hits the nail well and truly on the head

- spend the 300k see how he is - we're gonna get about 20 million squid from staying up - oxf*rd me

sure Bennett's gonna be good so Reading and u lot should have some faith!

Why should we behave like every other Prem Club? If we can be successful our way then lets do it.

Sidwell is hardly the shining example since he's the first player to behave like a Prem player

xtreme rebel

by xtreme rebel » 29 Jan 2007 21:08

bent copper

by bent copper » 29 Jan 2007 21:11

I love the way that article states that Bennet "slipped quietly out of Cork"
So he did'nt leave with the usual Brass band with fire eating Go Go dancers then!! :)

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 29 Jan 2007 21:14

I agree the club should be careful with its cash and look after the pennies as best as possible.Just because we are due a few windfalls doesnt mean we should start flashing the cash with gay abandon.Its good to drive (even more important to be seen )a hard bargain.If it means we miss out on a few overpaid mercenaries and their thick wad agents then so be it.
Im sure even if a few harsh words are exchanged the bottom line will be respect and realism from those the club do business with.Lets face it were hardly a big club like Leeds. :roll:
Welcome Alan Bennett.
Last edited by higher on 29 Jan 2007 21:16, edited 1 time in total.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 29 Jan 2007 21:14

Result!

Now lets see the boy play

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Jan 2007 21:15

xtreme rebel Deal is done

http://corkcityfc.ie/home.htm

Oh what a surprise - undisclosed fee!

Yet IIRC only a couple of weeks ago someone senior within RFC was quoted as stating that he believed all deals should be transparent, in order to clean up the transfer business/root out dodgy managers and agents!!

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 29 Jan 2007 21:31

RoyalBlue

Yet IIRC only a couple of weeks ago someone senior within RFC was quoted as stating that he believed all deals should be transparent, in order to clean up the transfer business/root out dodgy managers and agents!!

So we lose a player because of a clause Cork insited on????

The chairman at Cork made all the big noise about poaching his players, etc, but at the end of the day he didn't want the Cork fans to know how much he went for as we probably had him over a barrel with Bennett probably agreeing to come to us on a free at the end of the season.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 29 Jan 2007 22:18

Uke
RoyalBlue

The chairman at Cork made all the big noise about poaching his players, etc, but at the end of the day he didn't want the Cork fans to know how much he went for as we probably had him over a barrel with Bennett probably agreeing to come to us on a free at the end of the season.

Or, as it's a sizeable amount of money, he doesn't want the rest of the EL to know how much they have to spend.

Adrian's Fool

by Adrian's Fool » 29 Jan 2007 23:37

I have spent the last few days, bored at work, checking HNA every few minutes and waiting for this deal to go through, and now that it has (I assume - barring eleventh hour disasters) I am mighty pleased. It has even lifted the gloom of the earlier FA Cup draw.

not really sure why, it's a bit unfair to expect a great deal from the lad, but still....!

I just have a good feeling about him.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 29 Jan 2007 23:45

My Cork City supporting mates have been raving about him - I am mighty pleased.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 29 Jan 2007 23:47

Platypuss
Uke
RoyalBlue

Or, as it's a sizeable amount of money, he doesn't want the rest of the EL to know how much they have to spend.

This seems likely.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 30 Jan 2007 10:00

He's at the club finalizing the deal today. Passed medical.

urz_1871

by urz_1871 » 30 Jan 2007 10:00

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 30 Jan 2007 10:18

Well, let's hope he's good enough for the Premiership. Can give Sodje and Bikey a run for their money.

Doyler

by Doyler » 30 Jan 2007 10:19

Uke
RoyalBlue

Not only that but he said Reading had insulted him and his club during negotiations, I don't think we're that sort of club and never have been, I'm sure we've always conducted ourselves in the right way.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Jan 2007 10:28

Doyler [Not only that but he said Reading had insulted him and his club during negotiations, I don't think we're that sort of club and never have been, I'm sure we've always conducted ourselves in the right way.

I don't think he meant that we actually insulted his club, more that we offered a derisory amount that they deemed insulting.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 30 Jan 2007 10:29

Says on the Cork site that he's available for selection tonight - looking forward to seeing him in action if he plays, otherwise hopefully it'll be Bikey and Ivar.

342 posts