384 posts
PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 20 Oct 2007 17:58

Royal Rother
PEARCEY
Dirk Gently
winchester_royal
Dirk Gently SC has just taken full responsibility for this by choosing the wrong first half formation.

fair play to him, at least he didnt blame the international break :roll:

He did mention it - "3 of our 5 away games have been coming off the international break".

Its flimsy stuff for SC to mention that...SC is a better manager than that. All Premiership clubs are in the same boat and those playing in the UEFA cup have a load more matches to play.
International breaks apply throughout and he has to stop mentioning that.
We were beaten by a better side irrespective of where some of our players were last week.

He actually said "3 of our 5 away games have been coming off the international break, but that's no excuse..."

Fair enough RR..I have not heard what he had to say....

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Oct 2007 17:59

Dirk Gently SC has just taken full responsibility for this by choosing the wrong first half formation.

But why oh why did he opt for trying to do what others have done? He is a fantastic manager when it comes to tactics and one of his strengths (IMO) has been his original approach to situations.

Stick to leading Sir Steve, don't become a follower!

As Mick Gooding pointed out, it was absolutely crazy changing to a totally alien formation when the international break meant that the players had precious little opportunity to work on it in advance of the game itself.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 Oct 2007 18:02

Amongst other things he was asked whther the players were lacking in confidence at the moment. He said very firmly "It was me, I got it wrong today. There's nothing wrong with the players - their confidence is fine." OWTTE.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 20 Oct 2007 18:02

holsgrove breaks a leg We are shipping in goals at an alarming rate and now pretty consistently. The worry is that at the back its not one or two who are a cause for concern but pretty much the whole back line- Hanehmann beggining to flap and has slow reactions,Murty looking slow and out of his depth,Shorey clearly not playing to his potential and not adding an attacking threat,Ingi getting turned easily and looking way out of his depth,Duberry who in my opinion has been the better of the rest but is still prone to the odd error and Sonko who will take time to get used to playing top flight football after a nasty injury. Clearly Wally has his work cut out as he is having to plug several holes, you would hope players like Shorey,Sonko and Duberry could get back up to speed but with players like Murty,Ingi and Hanehmann to an extent now are we just flogging a dead horse??.

As i have said earlier i think we should just forget about our away form as i am sure we will pick up minimum points this season, we need to make sure we are at it from the start at home and this means a considerable amount of support from all of us at every home game in spite of our form- the home games will determine whether we stay in this division.

Mostly agree but we are going to probably need some points away from home as some of the bigger boys are going to turn us over at home..but given the current table I do reckon something like 38 points may just be enough to stay up this season.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 20 Oct 2007 18:02

Royal Rother
PEARCEY
Dirk Gently
winchester_royal

He did mention it - "3 of our 5 away games have been coming off the international break".

Its flimsy stuff for SC to mention that...SC is a better manager than that. All Premiership clubs are in the same boat and those playing in the UEFA cup have a load more matches to play.
We were beaten by a better side irrespective of where some of our players were last week.

He actually said "3 of our 5 away games have been coming off the international break, but that's no excuse..."

then he shouldnt mention it

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 20 Oct 2007 18:21

scolhyk
CholseyRoyal
Row Z Royal 4-2 Doyle

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

If that's true, pity about their pen as we could be chasing for a draw now.

Shame about the three in the first half - we'd have won the game.

:lol:

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 20 Oct 2007 18:27

Dirk Gently 3rd of November v Fulham will be a crucial match and a crucial indicator for the rest of the season - away at one of the teams we MUST beat.

As it's an away game, it's more like a team we mustn't lose against.

Just like Sunderland.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 20 Oct 2007 18:29

Royal Rother
PEARCEY
Dirk Gently
winchester_royal

So why even mention it, unless you wan't to use it as an excuse. But not really.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 20 Oct 2007 18:41

Royalupnorth
Royal Rother If we were bottom and losing in this manner then there would be precious few reasons for any positivity. The fact is we are not. We are winning the games we should expect to win and none of the other strugglers are picking up points against the upper echelons.

Sad but it looks we are really getting 3 very separate mini-Leagues this year. Unfortunately it looks like we are in the bottom tier this season but I think I would rather be in our shoes than anyone below us except for Spurs.

We are scoring goals. they are not.

Fair point.

Anyone who's played sunday league football knows that it's no reflection on your attacking abilities if you score two, three or even six if you are conceding two or three more. If the other team are scoring easily then they are bound to (a) relax slightly, and (b) leave themselves slightly exposed in defense ("you can't have it both ways").
In other words, us scoring two or even four says nothing about us being an effective attacking force if the other team are scoring four (Blackburn) or even seven (Portsmouth).

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 Oct 2007 19:11

Platypuss
Royal Rother
PEARCEY
Dirk Gently
winchester_royal

So why even mention it, unless you wan't to use it as an excuse. But not really.

It was not a rehearsed monologue or written reply to questions. He mentioned it and immediately withdrew it in case it might have sounded like an excuse. Can't that be accepted?

His "excuse", if you really want to look for one, was that he fcuked up with the selection and format.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 20 Oct 2007 19:16

Back from the game. I hope we never play 4-5-1 again. It's ok when we're at Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge, where we'll probably lose anyway, but it just did not work today. Listening to those around me as I left, I suspect that the finger of blame will be pointed at Faé, but to be honest, I think he did as much right as wrong today, and was certainly no worse than the other two midfielders. The key point was that in the first half, none of the three midfielders really knew where they were playing or who they were marking. Consequently, we were pulled all over the place during the first half. At the back, it was too easy for Santa Cruz to beat Murty to set up the first goal, nobody tracked his run for the second, and we had been scrambling all over the place before Tugay tonked the ball in from the half-way line.

Clearly, with a three goal lead, Rovers eased off in the second half. Nevertheless, we looked much sharper, much more solid and focussed playing 4-4-2. For all the abuse he has had recently, Gunnar looked good in midfield, and we were more balanced overall. Kitson looked really isolated in the first half, but much better with support. He and Lita linked up well a couple of times, and only failed to link up a few other times. Lita looked pretty bullish, and actually stayed on his feet. Two good goals by Doyle, flicking the ball into the net at the near post both times. Duberry hit the crossbar with a header, Tugay stopped Sonko';s header and Hunt's follow-up on the line, and Lita had a strong shot well saved, and Samba only just beat Hunt to the rebound. The penalty was something of a killer, we had built up good momentum and that killed it again.

We absolutely must stick to 4-4-2 from now on; I'd go with Sonko and Bikey at the back, Harps and Faé in midfield, Lita and Kitson up front and Doyle on the right (at least at home).

The other thing we need to work on is concentration, as there were far too many silly, unforced errors.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 20 Oct 2007 19:49

Back from the game. You can't expect to stifle the game with 5 in midfield when Rosenior goes missing and Bikey spends 45 minutes completely unsure of what he's supposed to be doing. Harper was ball watching far too much. Fae did ok with the ball at his feet but was weak in the tackle and spent a lot of the first half chasing shadows. Hunt was energetic but inneffective. The tactics did not work, we were over-run in midfield in the first half despite the numerical advantage.

All those moaning about Duberry hoofing the ball into the stands v Derby, we could have done with him doing that today, although he didn't play that badly. Sonko looked rusty but was probably the pick of the defence. Kitson was isolated up front but was by far our best player. We looked much better playing 4-4-2 in the second half. Bryn did alright and Lita looked pretty good, stayed on his feet, linked up well with Kitson, forced a good save from Friedel and was lucky not to lose all his teeth after 1 challenge in the box which should have been a penalty. Doyle took his goals well.

A lot of people around me were blaming Marcus for the third goal and maybe he could have done better but if Rosenior hadn't bottled out of the initial clearance or Harper had closed down Tugay it would never have gone in. We made a fight of it in the second half but we just can't afford to fall apart for 20 minutes and make it easy for the other team.

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 20 Oct 2007 22:05

The previous 2 posters are pretty much spot on. In the 2nd half we looked much, much better. It was great to see Sonko back. Don't think Fae was too bad in the first, but Bikey did not have a clue. Any idea of him playing holding midfield in future needs to be dismissed immediately. And we need to stop playing a right back on the wing. In fact we need a winger. And quick.

Quite bizarre that Gunnar, who has been awful of late, came on to be probably our best player. Harper was not at his best. And as for Shorey? I have no idea where his talent has gone. At current form I don't think he is good enough for Reading let alone England...

The big bald yank did alright. Some good saves. But lets face it, we were never going to get anything at Blackburn. Left feeling alright, as the 2nd half was entertaining...

I think it's time to be a bit radical. Maybe drop Shorey. Play Doyle on the right and.. I dont know... play Gunnar in the middle.. At least for 45 mins. We need to keep getting points at home. Try and keep safe till January and spend... a lot of money...

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 20 Oct 2007 23:31

Having watched the "highlights", Sonko allowed Santa Cruz a free header to set up McCarthy (who was being equally woefully marked by Duberry), Sonko's clearance for the third wasn't great (although Marcus really should have got at least a hand behind the ball), and Sonko brought down Derbyshire with a really poor challenge for the penalty. Meanwhile, both of our goals were set up by good crosses from Shorey, who I thought defended pretty well - he just looks poor at the moment when trying to bring the ball forward (which I think is a big part of why we look so woeful in attack this season).

Bikey wasn't playing as a holding midfielder; I don't understand why Harper was playing so deep (practically on the toes of Sonko and Duberry) whilst Faé and Bikey were pushed much further forward. I would have thought that reversing that system, so that Harper could push on in support of Kitson, would have been more effective. I still don't think it would be fair to pick out one player - they all looked bemused and confused about who to pick up. 4-4-2 from now on, please.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 20 Oct 2007 23:36

Coppell is an intelligent chap, with a degree and everything so I doubt even he expects Reading fans as a whole to fall for that one

3-0 down at half time, a great time to suggest the highly defensive formation isnt working. No shit :roll:

Coppell is sounding more and more like his psychiatrist may be getting another visit. He had mental issues when at Man City didn't he?

His post match interviews do not fill me with confidence one iota.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Oct 2007 23:45

The whole year inn

Coppell is an intelligent chap, with a degree and everything so I doubt even he expects Reading fans as a whole to fall for that one

3-0 down at half time, a great time to suggest the highly defensive formation isnt working. No shit :roll:

Coppell is sounding more and more like his psychiatrist may be getting another visit. He had mental issues when at Man City didn't he?

oh god thats terrible.

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 20 Oct 2007 23:45

Just waiting to be shot down (and I know most of the comment is about the woeful first half performance) but...........

Prior to kick off, who actually thought we were going to win today?

I thought I was optomistic in hoping for a draw, but didnt really think we would get anything. So. We lost - tried a new system, failed. Reverted back after BR had eased off and won the second half. Who knows what would have happened if we had played that way from the start, but we didnt. SSC has held up his hands, and hopefully wont repeat it again.

Same really as the Pompy match, didnt get anything from it, but didnt think we would.

Hard to be disappointed when I didnt think we would get anything from it anyway.

Oh me of little faith eh? Not really, think we will improve, and that our Home for will be more important then our away.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Oct 2007 23:47

Steve can say what he likes, but confidence looks shot to pieces. Passes going nowhere, no real drive, determination or enthusiasm.

I think it's midfield where our real problems lie. If we could sort out a second central midfielder and both the wings I think you'd see us begin to get our old self back... I just can't see how we can do that without at least Convey back from injury, preferably Oster too.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 20 Oct 2007 23:53

leon
The whole year inn

oh god thats terrible.

I agree. Any other input that doesn't make you look a bit simple?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Oct 2007 23:57

The whole year inn
leon
The whole year inn

oh god thats terrible.

I agree. Any other input that doesn't make you look a bit simple?

Well in my defence, I'm not the pissy pants wetter talking about Coppell going mad, because we were beaten by Blackburn away.

But then I'm simple and you're some sort of f*cking expert.

384 posts