Hard to see any progress for the forseeable future

2091 posts
papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

Re: Hard to see any progress for the forseeable future

by papereyes » 19 Sep 2008 09:55

SpaceCruiser Why would Lita being not in the squad a positive for you, papereyes? :|

Because we have better players, whose link up play and work rate more than make up for Lita's finishing.

Its not that hard to work out ... you have four (five when/if Mooney gets up to pace) strikers. Playing Doyle and Lita means that two players I rate more than Lita aren't playing.

Plus, and this is an important plus, the forward line is a partnership. If a player makes the pairing as a whole stronger, then you have to play that player. If a player, for all his abundance of natural ... erm ... talent, makes it weaker, then you don't play him.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 19 Sep 2008 10:04

I think I have to agree with Papa here, we saw something similar when we had Forster and Curo, Curo had the better strike rate, but when in with Fozzie it was not a partnership, Curo needs a partner to be effective, same as Doyle IMHO, whereas Lita is a good finisher, but a bit of a loner as a player.

For that reason I am coming round to the view that Lita would only work if we played 1 up front, which we are not going to do.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 19 Sep 2008 10:48

Yeah, you could be right, 17 Bus. Lita was most effective with Dave Kitson, but as he's buggered off to Stoke, there's a question about who he would work with best. It may be Mooney.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 19 Sep 2008 10:48

Lita was most effective with Dave Kitson

Irony.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 19 Sep 2008 11:42

The 17 Bus Lita is a good finisher

:shock:

If he doesn't have time to think about how he might look coolest as he puts the ball in the net he's an okay finisher - the rest of the time, whilst being massively driven by his ego and vanity he's complete cack.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 19 Sep 2008 11:48

Didn't take you long to go back to being a tosser, RR. :roll:

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 19 Sep 2008 11:48

papereyes Playing Doyle and Lita means that two players I rate more than Lita aren't playing

Shane Long???!!!

It's international talk like a pirate day, not international talk loads of shit day :-S

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 19 Sep 2008 11:48

Royal Rother

If he doesn't have time to think about how he might look coolest as he puts the ball in the net he's an okay finisher - the rest of the time, whilst being massively driven by his ego and vanity he's complete cack.

Naked racism of the worst kind.

Ban him.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Sep 2008 11:50

To be fair Spacey, whilst I would have worded it differently he's not far off.

Lita is a good instinctive finisher, if he has to think about it or has time to think about it, that finishing talent seems to diminish.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 19 Sep 2008 11:54

Maguire
Royal Rother

Naked racism of the worst kind.

Ban him.

Whatever and wherever he goes I will always remember the two superb finishes against Manchester City in probably one of the best away days in my life.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 19 Sep 2008 12:12

Just as I'll always remember Keith Scott's goal against Bradford City....

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 19 Sep 2008 12:14

Royal Rother Just as I'll always remember Keith Scott's goal against Bradford City....

Now that's a bit silly RR. Lita's goals against Citeh were world class and in the premier. I was there at Citeh and they were amazing goals...

Was the Scott goal world class?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 19 Sep 2008 12:22

2 fantastic strikes from Lita followed by almost unremitting cackness for 18 months. Ronnie Radford scored a fantastic goal for Hereford against Newcastle many years ago - didn't mean it was world class.

Anyway....

After about eight minutes the six and a half thousand home fans were treated to something any Wycombe fan would describe as pure fantasy - paranormal or something. Before I explain can I say that Keith Scott was an absolute bargain if we did pay the rumoured 250,000 quid for him. Thanks. The ball was played wide down the left leaving Keith Scott, just inside the City half, just behind the City full-back in the chase. Scott was off, charging towards the ball and keeping steady to nudge ahead of his man. Moments later Scott gets the first touch down the left wing. It's not the best of first touches as he taps the ball back inwards, and it looks like he's going to lose out. But no. He's level and muscles past the marker who falls flat out as Scott passes him. But there's another defender in the box, just outside the six yard box. But f*ck me, next thing I know he's only gone and bloody cut inside him. The keeper is coming back and Scott's foot is pulled back ready. He unleashes that foot and the ball is curved as sweetly and as precisely as possible to the keeper's left curving inside the far post and into the back of the bulging net. YES! A bloody amazing goal from Scotty and the Royals are 1-0 up. Pure determination from Keith.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 19 Sep 2008 12:24

Royal Rother Just as I'll always remember Keith Scott's goal against Bradford City....

Each to their own.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 19 Sep 2008 12:26

Archie's penalty

Now that's a bit silly RR. Lita's goals against Citeh were world class and in the premier. I was there at Citeh and they were amazing goals...

Was the Scott goal world class?

Great goals?
Yeah.

World Class finishes?
Probably, maybe, but that's not the point.

You had to be there, and as I said, one of the best away days I've had following RFC.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 19 Sep 2008 13:00

I'd say he was most effective of all with Sidwell - I'm think particlualry of goals at Man City, Preston and a few others, where the ball was threaded through along the ground for Lita to run onto. He's not so effecive with the style we currently play, whhich seems to be more about the ball crossed in low from left or right.

Maybe Marek's style of play is the answer? I can see him playing the type of balls Lita will thrive on.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 19 Sep 2008 15:37

Dirk Gently

I'd say he was most effective of all with Sidwell - I'm think particlualry of goals at Man City, Preston and a few others, where the ball was threaded through along the ground for Lita to run onto. He's not so effecive with the style we currently play, whhich seems to be more about the ball crossed in low from left or right.

Maybe Marek's style of play is the answer? I can see him playing the type of balls Lita will thrive on.

harper threaded an identikit through ball to sidders' for lita to score one of those at citeh

and there were many of the same kind of ball on tuesday vs wednesday, lita would have had a goal or two there if hed played

its lita and hunt all the way for me, but it would be great to see lita come off the bench and score sometime soon

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 19 Sep 2008 15:42

I so want this thread to run and run.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 19 Sep 2008 15:49

brendywendy
Dirk Gently

harper threaded an identikit through ball to sidders' for lita to score one of those at citeh

and there were many of the same kind of ball on tuesday vs wednesday, lita would have had a goal or two there if hed played

its lita and hunt all the way for me, but it would be great to see lita come off the bench and score sometime soon

I prefer Lita to Long, he should be 3rd choice at the moment, Coppell is obviously seeing something most don't in Long though.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 19 Sep 2008 16:08

brendywendy its lita and hunt all the way for me,

Now I don't think you really meant that did you?

And, oo-er Mrs...

2091 posts