STEPHEN HUNT - IS HIS TIME UP?

831 posts
Riskit for a biscuit

Re: STEPHEN HUNT - IS HIS TIME UP?

by Riskit for a biscuit » 21 Jan 2009 13:26

My main problem with Stephen Hunt is that he has always dribbled with his head down. At this level, you just can't get away with that, and it's absolutely unforgivable in the premiership. The amount of times I've seen SHunt dispossessed because he just charges into a group of defenders, or can't see a challenge coming is piss poor.
As for his distribution, more often than not he can't clear the first man from a corner. Often it means the opposition get a chance to clear or attack on the break, which Reading can't seem to cope with (the Cardiff game immediately springs to mind).

Back when he first signed I never thought he'd become a first team regular, just an impact substitute or a squad player at best. I still dont think he's good enough, and that the club needs a true left winger.

If anyone offers £2million plus for SHunt, Reading should snap their hands off, especially now he thinks he's better than he actually is, his heart just isn't in it anymore.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 21 Jan 2009 13:41

Riskit for a biscuit My main problem with Stephen Hunt is that he has always dribbled with his head down. At this level, you just can't get away with that, and it's absolutely unforgivable in the premiership. The amount of times I've seen SHunt dispossessed because he just charges into a group of defenders, or can't see a challenge coming is piss poor.
As for his distribution, more often than not he can't clear the first man from a corner. Often it means the opposition get a chance to clear or attack on the break, which Reading can't seem to cope with (the Cardiff game immediately springs to mind).

Back when he first signed I never thought he'd become a first team regular, just an impact substitute or a squad player at best. I still dont think he's good enough, and that the club needs a true left winger.

If anyone offers £2million plus for SHunt, Reading should snap their hands off, especially now he thinks he's better than he actually is, his heart just isn't in it anymore.

The bold bit is rubbish and utter rubbish

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 21 Jan 2009 13:48

Stephen Hunt's delivery from set pieces this season has actually been very good indeed. Just about makes up for his consistently mediocre crossing from open play really. Not his biggest fan in the least, but his aggressive style of play is vital to our fast-paced, direct game.

Riskit for a biscuit

by Riskit for a biscuit » 21 Jan 2009 13:49

londinium
Riskit for a biscuit My main problem with Stephen Hunt is that he has always dribbled with his head down. At this level, you just can't get away with that, and it's absolutely unforgivable in the premiership. The amount of times I've seen SHunt dispossessed because he just charges into a group of defenders, or can't see a challenge coming is piss poor.

Offers of several million for a player who clearly doesn't want to be at the club, and who also believes all the hype that surrounds him resulting in an increasing amount of half-arsed displays and you are saying that you wouldn't accept?

I'd say roughly 1 in 4 of his corners are terrible or just don't work, and if a more consistent set piece taker was available, Reading would be an even stronger force to be reckoned with from corners and free kicks.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 21 Jan 2009 13:51

Riskit for a biscuit
londinium

Offers of several million for a player who clearly doesn't want to be at the club, and who also believes all the hype that surrounds him resulting in an increasing amount of half-arsed displays and you are saying that you wouldn't accept?

I'd say roughly 1 in 4 of his corners are terrible or just don't work, and if a more consistent set piece taker was available, Reading would be an even stronger force to be reckoned with from corners and free kicks.

£5mill for hunt, bring in surman for £2.5 mill, if RFC really want to be bold and brave jamal campbell-ryce in for 1 mill saves us 1.5 mill

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 21 Jan 2009 13:51

Riskit for a biscuit
londinium

Have you been to any games this season?! His set pieces were dreadful last season, but this season they've been very good. He rarely puts in a bad cross from a corner now and we are consistently dangerous from both corners and free-kicks thanks to his excellent delivery.

Riskit for a biscuit

by Riskit for a biscuit » 21 Jan 2009 14:02

Bill Oddie's Beard
Have you been to any games this season?! His set pieces were dreadful last season, but this season they've been very good. He rarely puts in a bad cross from a corner now and we are consistently dangerous from both corners and free-kicks thanks to his excellent delivery.

I am a season ticket holder, and I watch away games whenever I can a means of watching them.

I'm not denying that he is perfectly capable of producing quality (and quality is what they are) set pieces, but the problem is he does not do it consistently enough. He still has room for improvement before you can call him a good set piece taker. The way he is playing at the moment, he is anticpating a move away, and subsequently is not performing at an acceptable standard (but this is the case with several of the players, I don't wish to single him out). Hopefully he'll have the sense to work harder when the transfer window shuts and he'll have to earn the attention of the bigger clubs by raising his WHOLE game.

1871royals

by 1871royals » 21 Jan 2009 14:05

Im not Huntys biggest fan, but he has been setting up lots of goals this season.

He has set up the most in the division:

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/D ... 87,00.html

I think the majority of fans would agree most of Huntys assists come from set pieces, demonstrating he does put in consistent set pieces.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 21 Jan 2009 14:07

For my two pennies worth, I have to say he does seem to have got a touch of the "Shorey's" about him lately, mind not completely focused and he's wondering whether a Prem Club will come in for him this month. I've seen NUMEROUS occasions this season where his corners in particular have been WOEFUL.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 21 Jan 2009 14:27

1871royals Im not Huntys biggest fan, but he has been setting up lots of goals this season.

He has set up the most in the division:

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/D ... 87,00.html

I think the majority of fans would agree most of Huntys assists come from set pieces, demonstrating he does put in consistent set pieces.

Law of averages?

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 21 Jan 2009 14:38

I think we'll miss him when he's gone - his energy, his dead-ball delivery (best in the division bar none) and his never-say-die attitude. What I won't miss is the blind alleys and bad passes, the over-elaboration and arrogant comments. It's no wonder he splits the board given his ability to thrill and infuriate in equal measure.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 21 Jan 2009 14:48

I say we all boo hunt on Tuesday, against Wolves!?

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 21 Jan 2009 15:05

im almost 100% sure we will sorely miss Hunt's dynamism, set piece delivery, tenacity, and sheer enthusiasm for the game. But that is not to say we cannot find a similar replacement and put £4m in the bank.

£5m is utterly ridiculous money for Hunt, and if someone is prepared to pay it then get it now before its too late, or keep him. Me? Id rather keep him subject to him wanting to play for us.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 21 Jan 2009 15:15

floyd__streete Stephen Hunt's delivery from set pieces this season has actually been very good indeed. Just about makes up for his consistently mediocre crossing from open play really. Not his biggest fan in the least, but his aggressive style of play is vital to our fast-paced, direct game.

Nail on the head Mr Streete.

At the moment we need Mr Hunt more than he needs us.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 21 Jan 2009 15:26

loyalroyal4life £5mill for hunt, bring in surman for £2.5 mill, if RFC really want to be bold and brave jamal campbell-ryce in for 1 mill saves us 1.5 mill

That's the rumour... :?

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 21 Jan 2009 16:26

I am one of Hunty's biggest fans but I want this whole thing to be resolved now. What with the club's text service on standby I think he's probably off. If so I would be sad to see him leave but at least we have some closure and can get either Campbell-Ryce or Surman in.

If he doesn't leave he should come out publicly saying that he won't go.

Otherwise we have to sit around waiting for the announcement.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 21 Jan 2009 16:27

Archie's penalty I am one of Hunty's biggest fans but I want this whole thing to be resolved now. What with the club's text service on standby I think he's probably off. If so I would be sad to see him leave but at least we have some closure and can get either Campbell-Ryce or Surman in.

What if there have been no bids made though ?

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 21 Jan 2009 16:32

Sun Tzu
Archie's penalty I am one of Hunty's biggest fans but I want this whole thing to be resolved now. What with the club's text service on standby I think he's probably off. If so I would be sad to see him leave but at least we have some closure and can get either Campbell-Ryce or Surman in.

What if there have been no bids made though ?

I take your point but I just have a feeling what with the Palacios deal, Hunt is off. He's getting itchy feet and that is affecting his form. At first I thought he wouldn't go to Wigan but now I think it might be best if he did. I think he'll take the chance of definitely being in the prem over there being a chance of him being there next season. Remember we don't just need to go up, we need to establish ourselves and stay there. There is of course a good chance that Wigan will have problems next year but it's a pretty stable place at the moment. He would also fit into the team easily.

Would really miss you Hunty if you leave but c'est la vie.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 21 Jan 2009 16:43

He won't go....

Joining Wigan is utter madness.

The only reason to join Wigan is money. It is not a glamourous club where you can achieve your footballing ambitions.

But, just like Kaka, I'm sure Hunt would see sense and understand that Reading is his club. This is the club that has backed him, given him his chance, supported him, developed him, made him the player that he is.

Reading is his spiritual home.

For that reason, just like Kaka, he will stay!

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 21 Jan 2009 16:52

Are you going to head up to the car park Top Flight ?

831 posts