Gylfi is leaving Reading

1419 posts
Boyband

Re: Gylfi is leaving Reading

by Boyband » 30 Aug 2010 12:46

Anyone who thinks any sizeable amount of money will be spent on new signings is clueless!

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 30 Aug 2010 12:46

Madejski could encourage him to stay. Tell him we'll build a team round him, offer him a few more quid etc.. Just because some random German side have bid enough, doesn't mean we can't fight tooth and nail to keep him does it ?[/quote]

people are jumping the gun ere yes a bid has been acepted but they have to tell the player but for all we know he could stick two fingers up to the germans and stay[/quote].....

Would you want to stay with a club, where cashing in is their number one strategy ?? Doesnt exactly fill you with confidence and the player obviously sees the lack of ambition being clearly shown from up on high!

Richi Royal

by Richi Royal » 30 Aug 2010 12:46

4 mill is a steal and I would not be at all suprised to see him at a huge club competing for the biggest honours in the game in 5 years, genuinly a great talent.
A great all round player with fantastic technique, vision, creativity, dead ball specilist, great passer not afraid to work hard for the team and in the head he is always two steps ahead of the opposition, in fact he excels in so many areas while i can't think of many he is poor in, I doubt as a Reading fan we will ever see a player with such natural ability come through our academy again, it is so rare these days to find a player who does not rely on physical attributes, he truely is desined for the top.
(At this point I would like to congratulate the scouting network and academy staff for finding and developing him into the player he is becoming)
I no for a fact premiership bosses wanted him but were not prepared to spend 5 million on a player with one good season under their belt (their loss) and wanted to wait until January, fair play to the Hoffenien manager who has spotted a bargain.

Madstad to Nadderud

by Madstad to Nadderud » 30 Aug 2010 12:47

soggy biscuit Might take a Hoffenheim shirt up to the club shop and ask them to put Sigurdsson on the back then wear it to the next game

They would probably be quite happy to take the money off you as well.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 30 Aug 2010 12:47

If its any lower than £5 million its a disgrace. And yes we can blame the club because they put that figure in his contract!

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 30 Aug 2010 12:47

I'd go if I was him, better standard than we can give him presently, good luck to him.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 30 Aug 2010 12:48

2 world wars, 1 world cup Guys whilst I agree this is shocking and unnaceptable (see my posts last night), let's just hold fire for a sec until we know the details.

If we do get 6 mill for him and spend 1mill each on a decent striker, a decent CB and a not-bad replacement who McDermott can build up (like he did with Gylfi), we'll be 3 MILLION POUNDS RICHER and will have pretty much sorted otu our squad! Then we'll be a bit embarassed for having made all the fuss won't we?

Would we rather that or have Gylfi in the team but with a toothless frontline and no defensive cover as it stands?

Don't get me wrong I'm no Madejski lover but I'm not going to start officially joining the Madejski-out brigade just yet until we see what develops overall.

Agreed, only face saving option for me

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 30 Aug 2010 12:48

ZacNaloen
Royal With Cheese
ZacNaloen He can turn them down sure, but he'd be stupid too.

Why when he'd likely secure a move to a premiership club in the next transfer window?

This smacks of the club wanting to sell him rather than the player wanting to go IMO.

We have no choice but to let him speak to them, his release clause was triggered. If he then accepts their personal terms there is nothing we can do about it.

I've yet to read a copy of his contract so your conjecture is as good as mine.

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 30 Aug 2010 12:49

LoyalRoyal22 If its any lower than £5 million its a disgrace. And yes we can blame the club because they put that figure in his contract!

SSN just reported its more than 5m ...but pretty sure it will be undisclosed.

Madstad to Nadderud

by Madstad to Nadderud » 30 Aug 2010 12:50

I just hope that considering Gylfi's young age, that RFC have asked for a sell on clause in the contract. But there again...

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 30 Aug 2010 12:50

Schards#2 The only surprise is that anyone is surprised by this. What have you been doing for the past 4 years while the team has been systematically weakened by the sales of player who can command a decent fee to be replaced by cheaper inferior alternatives.Let me let you into another secret, less than 25% of the fee will be reinvested and, after the dust has settled, the club will still owe Madejski #20 million and still have a black hole beyond this. This is was has happened after every other piece of silver has been flogged off.Madejski has no interest in the club other than for it not to cost him money, as such it is hard to see progress for the forseeable future whilst we compete against pretty much every other club that is prepared to invest. Can't believe no one foresaw this scenario a couple of years ago.

This can't be compared to the sale of much of that 05-07 team though:

1) Shorey and S.Hunt clearly did not have their hearts in the club. Kitson wanted to stay in the Premiership. Bikey expressed his desire to leave. Doyle wanted to play in the Premiership again. Those players were not worth so much to us at that stage as they wanted to move on. (with the possible exception of Doyle - hence an excellent fee of £6.5million) Gylfi has constantly stated that he wants to stay here for another year at least and there are rumours he has already turned down chances to move. Right now, Gylfi is worth loads to us and will be worth even more in a year's time. It doesn't pay to sell him now.

2) The others would have been on high wages. In the Championship, those wages had to be cut. We couldn't afford to keep them after relegation. Gylfi is on manageable wages, we can afford to keep him as long as he wants to stay.

3) This shows a different sign about the club's ambition. For the reasons above, a lot of previous sales seemed necessary. I was happy to stay around and watch the club build a new team capable of mounting a promotion challenge; a team packed with our academy youngsters. I'd pay to watch that. Now we're selling off our greatest asset and disrupting this team building process, it shows how lacking in ambition JM really is because this sale just doesn't strike me as common sense in the way that the others did. If this vibe translates to the fans, ticket sales and revenue will fall and a vicious circle will continue. Before you even consider the possibility of League 1.

Unfortunately I can't see myself losing interest and giving up on Reading even though, right now, I'd love to. However other fans may; this sale will not benefit the club in the long term.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 30 Aug 2010 12:50

Madejski declared: “My resolve now is even greater because we have something to fight for – getting back into the Premiership, which is great.

“As you know, when we were in the Premiership my ambition was to sell the club. Now we are not there my ambition is to get back up there, so I can sell the club.

“Everything is for sale. The Premiership is the place to be if you are selling. I have a mission now to get back up there.

“We had a smattering of interest but nothing concrete. The club is far more desirable if we are in the Premiership, but I am looking forward to the journey back up.”

Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn ! ...Sounds like that business plan is f88ked then !!!

EASTENDER MARKY

by EASTENDER MARKY » 30 Aug 2010 12:51

Boyband Anyone who thinks any sizeable amount of money will be spent on new signings is clueless!

Agreed. It doesn't matter what fee we get in for a player because we never re-invest it.

Madstad to Nadderud

by Madstad to Nadderud » 30 Aug 2010 12:53

[quote="DOYLERSAROYALER"]Madejski declared: “We had a smattering of interest but nothing concrete. The club is far more desirable if we are in the Premiership, but I am looking forward to the journey back up.”

Here's to the next 100+ years then before we see Premiership football again :)

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: anyone else hate England and the world cup?

by brendywendy » 30 Aug 2010 12:56

No way he wont agree terms.he knows we want to sell,and need the cash for players.at the end of the day its 1st team football in a top level league.
If thats true from fordham about getting no money ill be so angry i shall insist on grumbling to myself innefectually for the rest of the season.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 30 Aug 2010 12:57

This club is souless

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 30 Aug 2010 12:57

DOYLERSAROYALER Madejski declared: “My resolve now is even greater because we have something to fight for – getting back into the Premiership, which is great.

“As you know, when we were in the Premiership my ambition was to sell the club. Now we are not there my ambition is to get back up there, so I can sell the club.

“Everything is for sale. The Premiership is the place to be if you are selling. I have a mission now to get back up there.

“We had a smattering of interest but nothing concrete. The club is far more desirable if we are in the Premiership, but I am looking forward to the journey back up.”

Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn Yawn ! ...Sounds like that business plan is f88ked then !!!

As we know - there are just press soundbites that he has no option but to say. It doesn't reveal anything about the reality of achieving that aim.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 30 Aug 2010 12:57

Madstad to Nadderud
DOYLERSAROYALER Madejski declared: “We had a smattering of interest but nothing concrete. The club is far more desirable if we are in the Premiership, but I am looking forward to the journey back up.”

Here's to the next 100+ years then before we see Premiership football again :)

What is astounding is that he says these things, but when it comes to the action to make it happen..............tumbleweed...he needs bums on seats and this is his way of trying to achieve that...give the fans hope (but they are false hopes!)

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 30 Aug 2010 12:58

Words cant describe how angry i am with the club right now.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: anyone else hate England and the world cup?

by Arch » 30 Aug 2010 12:58

brendywendy No way he wont agree terms.he knows we want to sell,and need the cash for players.at the end of the day its 1st team football in a top level league.
If thats true from fordham about getting no money ill be so angry i shall insist on grumbling to myself innefectually for the rest of the season.

Unless we're winning, of course.

1419 posts