Mikele Leigertwood

830 posts
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Mikele Leigertwood

by Snowball » 01 Dec 2010 08:45

Ideal Another thread falls to the Snowball curse.

No, the Snowball curse involves a shrinking penis. How're'ya feeling?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 01 Dec 2010 11:47

Snowball
The Rouge But 2 or so shots versus 1 is a low sample size. As is 1 game.

Just reserve judgement. Judge Reading over a season or a half season, Judge Leigertwood over 10+ games..

I think you miss my point.

If there was 1 shot on target after he went off, then in 77 minutes he limited the opposition to 2 in 77 mins

if there were two shots O-T after he went off, then in 77 minutes he limited the opposition to a single shot on target

Considering we were letting in goals for fun a few games ago, he can't have been that bad

I put that down to the Pearce effect, he just tired towards the end.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Dec 2010 12:35

Judging by the first half it certainly had little to do with Leigterwood who ambled around the middle of the pitch not doing a lot.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 01 Dec 2010 15:14

Ian Royal Judging by the first half it certainly had little to do with Leigterwood who ambled around the middle of the pitch not doing a lot.

Well you would know after your cub's 5-a-side reserve game in 1971

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 01 Dec 2010 15:21

Are we locking this one as well?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Dec 2010 16:04

Snowball
Ian Royal Judging by the first half it certainly had little to do with Leigterwood who ambled around the middle of the pitch not doing a lot.

Well you would know after your cub's 5-a-side reserve game in 1971

That reminds me. Did you ever answer my question about the level you played at?

a couple of weeks ago Hoop Blah
Snowball I've never been "full of it" or overplayed my playing years.

No I didn't play to a high standard. I was a Longy, didn't play at all until I was 16. Started in the RAF
played a lot, well all the time if I could. Was very, very fast and my first touch made Long look like Messi,
but I got better and better and played until I was 38. RW for a long time, CF for about 4-5 years, then CB
which I thought, relatively was a piece of piss.

I played 2 x 90 minutes last year (aged 62) AND scored. Not bad for a bloke with a metal knee.

My biggest regret was I didn't play soccer as a kid because I was extremely quick and I think I could
have been a reasonable player. But I've been in and around soccer, involved in the back-room and
fund-raising etc for NCAFC, got to know a few managers and players personally, even had a 10-15 minute
1-2-1 chat with Bill Shankly once. (Accident, he thought I was someone else, but who cares?)

Fair enough, it was a genuine question, and you almost gave me a straight answer.

I was more interested in what the was standard like? Hobnob FC level? More like Reading Town? Higher?

Full of it might've been an exaggeration, but you do like to drop your 'career' in there now and again and as above belittle those who haven't played.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Dec 2010 16:04

Royal With Cheese Are we locking this one as well?

Could we just lock a certain user account instead!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 01 Dec 2010 17:21

Hoop Blah
Royal With Cheese Are we locking this one as well?

Could we just lock a certain user account instead!

Keep trying Hoop. I'm sure you'll get your way in the end.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Dec 2010 17:35

So you won't answer my question then, even after making the condecending comments about Ian's footballing background.

To be honest, I think it's a real shame that a man of your supposed age, experience and education has taken to behaving quite as you do on an forum such as this. It's quite sad really.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 01 Dec 2010 18:25

Hoop Blah

That reminds me. Did you ever answer my question about the level you played at?

Yes I did.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Dec 2010 19:45

Hoop Blah So you won't answer my question then, even after making the condecending comments about Ian's footballing background.

To be honest, I think it's a real shame that a man of your supposed age, experience and education has taken to behaving quite as you do on an forum such as this. It's quite sad really.

TBF he can make as many comments as he likes, it's himself he's making look stupid, not me.

I don't need a driving licence to know when someone is driving badly and in exactly the same way I don't need to have played football to any particular level to see someone isn't doing particularly well... It helps to really judge on the real fine points but that's it.

Frankly I find the implication that someone who is wheelchair bound from a young age is incapable of understanding football - afterall they can't have played to any real level - that is essentially what snowball is saying here, is contemptible.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 01 Dec 2010 20:19

You're wheel-chair bound?

zummerset

by zummerset » 01 Dec 2010 20:20

On the face of it Ian's point stands - a non participant can be observant and tactically advanced. Being actively immersed in the game gives you one perspective but not necessarily a full 360 understanding. In may case I was good enough to earn a trial at Reading, scored twice and was turned down and played the next 20 years egg chasing in the front row. But I can still see that our new loanee looks piss poor and our strikers lack skill, confidence or sharpness.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Dec 2010 21:46

Snowball
Hoop Blah That reminds me. Did you ever answer my question about the level you played at?

Yes I did.

I obviously meant the one where I asked about some context to that level. As far as I've seen you never did answer it.

I actually think playing gives you more of an understanding and appreciation of what happens on the pitch, but that doesn't mean not playing rules out your opinion or warrants the petty and snide comments.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Dec 2010 21:58

Agree it's generally going to help, but it certainly doesn't mean anyone who's played to some sort of level automatically has a more worthwhile opinion than someone who hasn't.

And lets face it, for all snowball knows about me I could have played to quite a high non-professional standard, or had trials with Man Utd as a kid, or be a qualified ref, or coach. But he does love to trot out the "I'm better than the rest of you" stuff from his ivory tower of ignorance.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 01 Dec 2010 23:43

Ian Royal Agree it's generally going to help, but it certainly doesn't mean anyone who's played to some sort of level automatically has a more worthwhile opinion than someone who hasn't.

And lets face it, for all snowball knows about me I could have played to quite a high non-professional standard, or had trials with Man Utd as a kid, or be a qualified ref, or coach. But he does love to trot out the "I'm better than the rest of you" stuff from his ivory tower of ignorance.

No Ian, I know you've never played because you spout platitudinous crap about the game.

comeonyouroyals

by comeonyouroyals » 02 Dec 2010 00:33

Not sure why the level off football you play has anything to do with being able to evaluate a football game, after all Mourinho was never a professional player.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Dec 2010 07:50

comeonyouroyals Not sure why the level off football you play has anything to do with being able to evaluate a football game, after all Mourinho was never a professional player.

Yes he was, he just wasn't very good and quit. I can't think of a single manager who wasn't a player before going in to management/coaching (even Rodgers was a player, albeit one that didn't make it).

It doesn't mean a fan/non-players view isn't valid, but having played properly gives you a bit more of an insight at times.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 02 Dec 2010 10:15

Hoop Blah
comeonyouroyals Not sure why the level off football you play has anything to do with being able to evaluate a football game, after all Mourinho was never a professional player.

I can't think of a single manager who wasn't a player before going in to management/coaching (even Rodgers was a player, albeit one that didn't make it).

Carlos Alberto Parreira?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Dec 2010 12:31

That sounds like a good shout WR.

Having a playing history probably means you have the early respect of the players and know what makes them tick (in order to man-manage them) more than it necessarily meaning you have a better understanding of the game. That might give you the edge as a young manager, but as in any career there are many ways to start and suceed.

Being a manager and being able to form opinions on a game as a fan or spectator are of course completely different as well. I know plenty of people that have played that don't really get whats going on half the time, and visa versa, but I do think generally playing enhances understanding.

830 posts