Le Fondre - Come and get me plea

355 posts
HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Le Fondre - Come and get me plea

by HoneyRoastHoax » 20 Jan 2014 09:14

Really happy to see Alf prove me wrong and put a shift in.

Not sure why he stepped up this game, better support? Luck was with him? Shop window showing off? Bolton just being poor?

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 20 Jan 2014 09:25

I think it was a mix of Bolton being shockingly poor, Pog playing deeper, and McCleary giving him a better outlet. Alf always had a pass on which he's not had for a while.

semtex1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The sneering condescension of the remain ultras.....

by semtex1871 » 20 Jan 2014 18:13

Muskrat Thought it was gr8 as it goes, good food, nice atmos, good seats etc. I'm normally a Northstander but I think I'm in the RS again for the Blackpool game :D

Cool....shout HobNob as you enter the room so I know it's you!!! :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Jan 2014 18:23

RoyalBlue
Ian Royal So. Le Fondre has started 11 league games this season. He's currently scoring in 45% of the games he starts, is our top scorer, has a strike success rate of 34% and a goals to start ratio of 1:1.6.

Would anyone like to tell me again that he's useless starting and should only be on the bench?

Like they say, statistics and lies and the above is a classic case of that.

He was useless starting when the team weren't creating chances and he wasn't working hard as an all-round team player. Both of those things appear to have been rectified, the latter a couple of games back and the former in the Bolton game. The fact that the team created chances for him meant that he was able to score three goals on Saturday, which significantly improved his stats and have enabled you to somewhat disingenuously suggest that he should have been starting all along.

Should the team stop creating chances and ALF's all-round contribution to the team also drop off, then it is quite likely that he will end up on the bench again, and rightly so.

Yes, because 10 games, scoring in 40%, top scorer, similar strike rate and goals to starts ratio of 1:2.5 is so terrible.

Give him a run of games and he'll score goals. Give him a run of goals in a team playing well and he'll score a bucketful of goals.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 20 Jan 2014 18:24

Ian Royal
RoyalBlue
Ian Royal So. Le Fondre has started 11 league games this season. He's currently scoring in 45% of the games he starts, is our top scorer, has a strike success rate of 34% and a goals to start ratio of 1:1.6.

Would anyone like to tell me again that he's useless starting and should only be on the bench?

Like they say, statistics and lies and the above is a classic case of that.

He was useless starting when the team weren't creating chances and he wasn't working hard as an all-round team player. Both of those things appear to have been rectified, the latter a couple of games back and the former in the Bolton game. The fact that the team created chances for him meant that he was able to score three goals on Saturday, which significantly improved his stats and have enabled you to somewhat disingenuously suggest that he should have been starting all along.

Should the team stop creating chances and ALF's all-round contribution to the team also drop off, then it is quite likely that he will end up on the bench again, and rightly so.

Yes, because 10 games, scoring in 40%, top scorer, similar strike rate and goals to starts ratio of 1:2.5 is so terrible.

Give him a run of games and he'll score goals. Give him a run of goals in a team playing well and he'll score a bucketful of goals.

Problem is, he encourages a formation that has no long term viability

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Jan 2014 18:27

There's more to football than formations. There's more than one way to play in any formation. 4-4-2 is not automatically a way to get relegated from the Premier League.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 20 Jan 2014 18:32

Ian Royal There's more to football than formations. There's more than one way to play in any formation. 4-4-2 is not automatically a way to get relegated from the Premier League.

Assuming the ambition is to get promoted we dont have the right quality to play 442 in the Premier League, so Alfie would be an impact sub.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Jan 2014 18:34

LoyalRoyal22
Ian Royal There's more to football than formations. There's more than one way to play in any formation. 4-4-2 is not automatically a way to get relegated from the Premier League.

Assuming the ambition is to get promoted we dont have the right quality to play 442 in the Premier League, so Alfie would be an impact sub.

We might get the right quality to play it in the PL. And that doesn't mean we should cut off our nose to spite our face at this level.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 29 Jan 2014 00:35

ALF now 6th highest scorer in the Champioship. Pretty good given his lack of game time compared to those above him

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/cha ... op-scorers

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 29 Jan 2014 00:58

Alf? Who's Alf? No Alf here, keep on moving premier league clubs.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 29 Jan 2014 07:03

Well in the space of 10 day Alfie's value must have gone up by a least a million.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 Jan 2014 08:26

And the rest.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 29 Jan 2014 09:01

He must be worth £1,000,050 now then.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 29 Jan 2014 09:52

Our decision (or not) to sell ALF will show us how much ambition remains at this club.

UpThePrem

by UpThePrem » 29 Jan 2014 10:07

I can't see us selling ALF even if we do get a decent bid. In the same way we can't buy players until the takeover is complete, surely we can't sell one of our best players as the current bids would be based on the current team. Getting rid of one of our best assets could jeopardize any current bids.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Jan 2014 12:44

UpThePrem I can't see us selling ALF even if we do get a decent bid. In the same way we can't buy players until the takeover is complete, surely we can't sell one of our best players as the current bids would be based on the current team. Getting rid of one of our best assets could jeopardize any current bids.

The fact we'd only have one striker is a downer too.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 29 Jan 2014 12:52

You wait.

The supposed rationality for not investing is never applied when it comes to selling players.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 29 Jan 2014 12:55

What I most liked about his performance yesterday was tracking back.

There was one incident when he tracked back all the way to our areas as i think Mcleary was out of position up top. He also managed to challenge and get the ball away.

NA can't really say much if he plays like that and scores goals as well

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 29 Jan 2014 13:07

loyalroyal4life What I most liked about his performance yesterday was tracking back.

There was one incident when he tracked back all the way to our areas as i think Mcleary was out of position up top. He also managed to challenge and get the ball away.

NA can't really say much if he plays like that and scores goals as well

Which is what Noel Hunt always brought to the team. Le Fondre is starting to fill the gaping hole that Noel Hunt inexplicably left, but with a lot more quality.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 29 Jan 2014 13:11

Le Fondre and McLeary seem to have a good understanding while Le Fondre and Pog seem to work well together..... working well together produces goals.

355 posts