NO LONGER A RUMOUR - Alan Bennett

342 posts
silas
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by silas » 30 Jan 2007 10:31

Royalee Says on the Cork site that he's available for selection tonight - looking forward to seeing him in action if he plays, otherwise hopefully it'll be Bikey and Ivar.

He hasn't played for month's since the end of the Irish season. There is no way that he will play tonight.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 30 Jan 2007 10:32

silas
Royalee Says on the Cork site that he's available for selection tonight - looking forward to seeing him in action if he plays, otherwise hopefully it'll be Bikey and Ivar.

He hasn't played for month's since the end of the Irish season. There is no way that he will play tonight.

And has he even finished agreeing terms on his contract with Reading?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 30 Jan 2007 10:34

SpaceCruiser
silas

And has he even finished agreeing terms on his contract with Reading?

The details which needed completing for him to play tonight have already been finalised, can you not read the Cork site? I agree he may not start tonight because of his lack of games, although you never know.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jan 2007 10:44

I'll be very surprised if he starts tonight. Not played for a few months and would only be meeting his teammates today (or poss yesterday) for the first time. Bikey and Ivar will be the CBs I would expect.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 30 Jan 2007 11:23

OS says

Reading Football Club can confirm that we have reached an agreement with Cork City for the transfer of Alan Bennett.

The 25-year-old central defender is in Reading today, having completed his medical.

Bennett signed the agreement at 8pm last night and the Club are now tying up loose ends to complete the transfer.

------------

In squad for Saturday I would suggest but is not likely to be involved tonight given lack of match fitness and also that he'll need a bit of time to get to know the way we play, players etc. therefore expect him to be on the bench and probably not start a game until the 5th Round cup tie.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 Jan 2007 12:26

Barry the bird boggler In squad for Saturday I would suggest but is not likely to be involved tonight given lack of match fitness and also that he'll need a bit of time to get to know the way we play, players etc. therefore expect him to be on the bench and probably not start a game until the 5th Round cup tie.

If he's involved in the next 3 games it just shows how desperately short we were at center half before signing him.

He's had somthing like 3 months off and must be quite a way off match fitness.

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 30 Jan 2007 12:56

What I don't understand is what's left to tie up? Surely the deal is completed if a medical has been passed and a contract was signed last night?! So why not a George Bushesque 'we got 'im!' announcement?

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 30 Jan 2007 13:00

Hoop Blah
Barry the bird boggler In squad for Saturday I would suggest but is not likely to be involved tonight given lack of match fitness and also that he'll need a bit of time to get to know the way we play, players etc. therefore expect him to be on the bench and probably not start a game until the 5th Round cup tie.

If he's involved in the next 3 games it just shows how desperately short we were at center half before signing him.

Although he will be short of match practice his fitness should be very good as the Eircom pre-season is just about coming to an end now so his fitness should be peaking (correct me if i'm wrong though).

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 Jan 2007 13:07

ScottishRoyal
Hoop Blah

Although he will be short of match practice his fitness should be very good as the Eircom pre-season is just about coming to an end now so his fitness should be peaking (correct me if i'm wrong though).

A quick look at the Cork City site and their first pre-season game looks like being next Tuesday, with games up until the March 2nd. They've probably been in training for a couple of weeks but they're not still 4 weeks away from the start of the season with no games under their belts.

He might be reasonabley fit, but Premiership match fit I? I doubt it.

Adrian's Fool

by Adrian's Fool » 30 Jan 2007 13:09

And didn't some article mentioned earlier in this thread (can't be bozzed to find it) say that (rather than being in pre-season training) he had been on holiday during the past two weeks....? So probably will take at least a month or more to get up to speed...

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 30 Jan 2007 13:10

ScottishRoyal

What I don't understand is what's left to tie up? Surely the deal is completed if a medical has been passed and a contract was signed last night?! So why not a George Bushesque 'we got 'im!' announcement?

Perhaps we're waiting to make a multi announcement.

urz_1871

by urz_1871 » 30 Jan 2007 13:18

Tilehurst End
ScottishRoyal

Halford maybe?

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 30 Jan 2007 13:20

urz_1871
Tilehurst End
ScottishRoyal

Halford maybe?

I like your thinking but won't be getting my hopes up.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 30 Jan 2007 13:26

Tilehurst End
ScottishRoyal

Under the new FA regulations (effective from Jan this year) the transfer cannot be confirmed auntil all paperwork has been recieved and confirmed by the FA - that includes paperwork and declarations etc from any agents working for either side in the transaction.

Not saying this is the holdup, just that there is now a lot more paperwork to be done before a transfer is confirmed.

Lieutenant Pigeon

by Lieutenant Pigeon » 30 Jan 2007 13:27

Aaron Brown - going the other way on loan for 6 mths....

C.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 Jan 2007 13:29

Dirk Gently Under the new FA regulations (effective from Jan this year) the transfer cannot be confirmed auntil all paperwork has been recieved and confirmed by the FA - that includes paperwork and declarations etc from any agents working for either side in the transaction.

Not saying this is the holdup, just that there is now a lot more paperwork to be done before a transfer is confirmed.

It also doesn't say that we've agreed terms with him yet either.

It could be he hasn't even agreed to a contract yet...I'm sure he will though.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 30 Jan 2007 13:29

I was told earlier today that the club are going to announce 2 signings today ... However my source is the security guard at work so not sure how correct it is.

However he has got family members that work for the club so who knows

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 30 Jan 2007 13:30

Lieutenant Pigeon Aaron Brown - going the other way on loan for 6 mths....

C.

Where is that then - I couldnt see it on the official site?

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 30 Jan 2007 13:45

Dirk Gently Not saying this is the holdup, just that there is now a lot more paperwork to be done before a transfer is confirmed.
He'll need international clearance as well, not sure how complex that is or how long it takes.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 30 Jan 2007 13:57

Accoding to the Cork local paper he will sign tonight in front of the fans.

342 posts