New signing today

405 posts
papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 18 May 2007 11:43

SpaceCruiser
papereyes Spacey - one name that I got told was "Iona" Isles of the North Atlantic.

Quite nice.

News to me. I don't think I like that, sounds too much like an island in one of these Jurassic films.

I prefer British Isles, why do we need to change it?

Because, although it should be solely a geographical description, to some, its a political one.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 18 May 2007 11:46

papereyes
SpaceCruiser
papereyes Spacey - one name that I got told was "Iona" Isles of the North Atlantic.

Quite nice.

News to me. I don't think I like that, sounds too much like an island in one of these Jurassic films.

Because, although it should be solely a geographical description, to some, its a political one.

I've never thought of "British Isles" as a political description. It's been called that since Roman times or much longer than that (Not sure...). Well, perhaps a short hand version of Britainnia.....

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 18 May 2007 11:46

Behindu
papereyes [

Spacey - one name that I got told was "Iona" Isles of the North Atlantic.

Why use a name of an existing (and very famous) island...

I think they may have chosen that name quite deliberately.

"Britain and Ireland" probably works best.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 18 May 2007 11:47

SpaceCruiser
papereyes
SpaceCruiser

Quite nice.

I've never thought of "British Isles" as a political description. It's been called that since Roman times or much longer than that (Not sure...). Well, perhaps a short hand version of Britainnia.....

Well, no. But surely you can see why it has a political value to it?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 18 May 2007 11:54

papereyes
SpaceCruiser
papereyes
SpaceCruiser

Quite nice.

Well, no. But surely you can see why it has a political value to it?

Sure, but it's not as if it was deliberately named for political reasons, was it?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 May 2007 13:03

I think what Spacey is saying is they should stop whining and get over it.

Easy to say when it's in your favour and your nation has been top of the heap for the last 300 odd years.

I understand the problem, but on the whole I think I have to agree with him. It's not worth getting wound up over, get over it.

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 18 May 2007 13:43

papereyes
VOR
The term 'British Isles' was a political construct and has been an anachronism for over 80 years and one that the Republic is justified in pushing to have removed from atlases etc.

Or a geographical construct, that some people get overly het up about.

Spacey - one name that I got told was "Iona" Isles of the North Atlantic.

Quite nice.

NO NO NO - sounds too much like an American state which is exactly what our lap dog government is trying to turn us into

Anyway - it would be nice to hear what our friends from Cork think of this Irish = British debate

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 May 2007 14:13

I'd just like to Clarify. I don't think the Irish are British, however I think they are local and share a certain bond with the rest of the British Isles.

I am against a foreigner managing the national side, yet a Scot, or a Welsh or Irishman would be fine by me. They are one of the "home" nations.

I consider them close enough as to count as local players in RFC's team, rather than international imports like the Icelandic, Yanks, and now French

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 18 May 2007 14:33

The other thing about that acronym is that it sounds like it should include other islands in the North Atlantic, such as Iceland.......

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 May 2007 14:52

i love this thread

can we just do this through the whole off season
then go back to the other threads and see what happend since weve been away

little titbits of reading transfer info, dispersed slowly through the two months is going to kill me

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 May 2007 14:55

brendywendy i love this thread

little titbits of reading transfer info, dispersed slowly through the two months is going to kill me

I agree, I've been stuck indoors for 6 days now and have watched 3 series of coupling, the lord of the rings and 3 other films. I'm starting to struggle for entertainment and this thread has kept it interesting.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 18 May 2007 15:00

Ian Royal

I agree, I've been stuck indoors for 6 days now and have watched 3 series of coupling, the lord of the rings and 3 other films. I'm starting to struggle for entertainment and this thread has kept it interesting.

Really? A few people said the thread was ruined. I thought it was an interesting discussion on history, countries etc etc.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 May 2007 15:03

SpaceCruiser
Ian Royal

Really? A few people said the thread was ruined. I thought it was an interesting discussion on history, countries etc etc.

Oh the thread was definietly ruined, but in a fairly interesting way.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 May 2007 15:04

SpaceCruiser
Ian Royal

well i have thoroughly enjoyed it

both interesting, and informative.

and it fills the time before the next jumped up footballer turns down reading FC cos he doesnt fancy it.

probably belongs in anything else mind u, but hey ho, what can you do.

Skyline

by Skyline » 18 May 2007 15:05

If it goes on all summer it could turn into the new 'Message to Hopeful' (there's one for the old-timers to reminisce about), but more educational :)

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 18 May 2007 15:24

Ian Royal I am against a foreigner managing the national side, yet a Scot, or a Welsh or Irishman would be fine by me. They are one of the "home" nations.

I can't see why having Fergie managing England would be any better than having Wenger of Mouriniho to be honest.
I don't think it makes any difference where they were born - if we had won the WC under Sven no one would have discussed his nationality.

For what it's worth I have no idea where this concept of being 'local' comes in. It's all about language. The likes of Andy Bernal, Marcus and Convey fit in really easily becasue they speak our language - just like Doyle, Hunt and Long. Players like Sonks, Bikey and Cisse are obviously 'different' in a number of ways.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 May 2007 15:36

Behindu
Ian Royal I am against a foreigner managing the national side, yet a Scot, or a Welsh or Irishman would be fine by me. They are one of the "home" nations.

I can't see why having Fergie managing England would be any better than having Wenger of Mouriniho to be honest.
I don't think it makes any difference where they were born - if we had won the WC under Sven no one would have discussed his nationality.

For what it's worth I have no idea where this concept of being 'local' comes in. It's all about language. The likes of Andy Bernal, Marcus and Convey fit in really easily becasue they speak our language - just like Doyle, Hunt and Long. Players like Sonks, Bikey and Cisse are obviously 'different' in a number of ways.

racist

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 18 May 2007 15:43

Ian Royal I am against a foreigner managing the national side

I'm not. I'm all for having the best man for the job, regardless of nationality. Otherwise you could end up with someone like, well, Steve McClaren...

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 18 May 2007 15:45

Denver Royal
Ian Royal I am against a foreigner managing the national side

I'm not. I'm all for having the best man for the job, regardless of nationality. Otherwise you could end up with someone like, well, Steve McClaren...

Surely the fact that we've ended up with Steve McClaren as the England manager is more to do with the fact that we're now importing foreign managers rather than giving a British manager from the lower leagues a chance.

Skyline

by Skyline » 18 May 2007 15:55

Yes Spacey, it's all that nasty Mr Wenger's fault.

405 posts