Coppell's latest backtrack

470 posts
Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

Re: At last, it is nearly over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 31 Jan 2008 11:45

West Stand Flash I'm delighted that we have signed no one (of any note), are playing truly awful & look like getting relegated. Couldn't be happier.

How do you know that the signings of Marek and Jimmy wont be of note.

We signed Hunt on a free tranfer , Kitson for peanuts and the same for Doyle - non of these could be seen being a signing of note - and yet they have proved themselves........

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 31 Jan 2008 11:47

Only one Trevor Morley
West Stand Flash I'm delighted that we have signed no one (of any note), are playing truly awful & look like getting relegated. Couldn't be happier.

We signed Hunt on a free tranfer , Kitson for peanuts and the same for Doyle - none of these could be seen as being a signing of note - and yet they have proved themselves........

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 31 Jan 2008 11:50

Alan Partridge
Wycombe Royal I'm hoping we get a late bid for West Stand Flash. We can't put up with him until the end of the season surely.

I'm sure another clubs discussion forum is missing someone of his calibre. I'm sure if a sufficient bid comes in we won't stand in his way.

:lol: swap him for Halford?

Swap him for a tub of Ritalin

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 31 Jan 2008 11:54

Most of the negative posters were absolutely insistent that Shorey and Lita would not still be with us at the end of the season - in both transfer windows that speculation was rife and their sale was going to be another sign of small club mentality. And of course Hunt was absolutely bound to leave this tinpot club once Roy Keane came in for him...

Looks like they're still around - I suppose these negative chappies would have loved it if we'd sold them all for combined fees of £13m and got Matty Taylor, Marlon King, Wayne Routledge for the same money in their place - that would have shown that we can play with the big boys in the transfer window wouldn't it, rather than sitting back and doing nothing.....

No points, but January could have been a lot worse.

During this transfer window we have lost nobody of note, we have signed a creative international midfielder and we have discovered that we have a central defender able to cope with some of the best strikers in the world with some comfort. Bolton for one, would love to have had such a month.

Ruud Van Kitson

Re: So fed up

by Ruud Van Kitson » 31 Jan 2008 11:59

Ruud Van Kitson wrote:
we lost 1-0 to chelsea away from home....

Complete Fool wrote:
And that's meant to be reassuring? Wake up to the reality of the situation

That a team in its second year of the best league in the world, is struggling to win away from home against team like chelsea? wow :roll:

This is the best team in Reading's history, performing at the highest ever level and yet still some of you morons are complaining. I'm actually embarrassed reading some of the posts.

I

'lista
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by 'lista » 31 Jan 2008 11:59

Curse you Royal Rother!

The more you post, the more I agree with you.

Please stop it.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: So fed up

by RoyalBlue » 31 Jan 2008 12:19

Ruud Van Kitson Ruud Van Kitson wrote:
we lost 1-0 to chelsea away from home....

Complete Fool wrote:
And that's meant to be reassuring? Wake up to the reality of the situation

That a team in its second year of the best league in the world, is struggling to win away from home against team like chelsea? wow :roll:

This is the best team in Reading's history, performing at the highest ever level and yet still some of you morons are complaining. I'm actually embarrassed reading some of the posts.

I

Well get used to it because when we lose our PL status because we didn't pick up anywhere near enough points on our travels and then didn't manage to win some of our 'easier games' you'll hear an awful lot more.

Complacency and blind optimism is going to cost this club dear.

Blue Blooded

Re: Coppell's latest backtrack

by Blue Blooded » 31 Jan 2008 12:28

Where is the complacency and (Blind) optimism in the club?

At the moment there is Blind panic, so perhaps supporters/Fans should really be thinking of the part they are playing!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 31 Jan 2008 12:33

Royal Rother Most of the negative posters were absolutely insistent that Shorey and Lita would not still be with us at the end of the season - in both transfer windows that speculation was rife and their sale was going to be another sign of small club mentality. And of course Hunt was absolutely bound to leave this tinpot club once Roy Keane came in for him...

Looks like they're still around - I suppose these negative chappies would have loved it if we'd sold them all for combined fees of £13m and got Matty Taylor, Marlon King, Wayne Routledge for the same money in their place - that would have shown that we can play with the big boys in the transfer window wouldn't it, rather than sitting back and doing nothing.....

During this transfer window we have lost nobody of note, we have signed a creative international midfielder and we have discovered that we have a central defender able to cope with some of the best strikers in the world with some comfort. Bolton for one, would love to have had such a month.

To be fair Lita is probably only still here because nobody else valued him highly enough (perhaps because we knew we;d struggle to replace him). He tried his hardest to engineer the move some people were predicting. I'm not sure your assertion that the negative posters (or realistic depending on your outlook i guess!) are the same one's who though they'd both be off is correct.

Not losing anyone is no doubt a positive that shouldn't be overlooked, and your dead right, January could've been a lot worse. On the other hand, not adding much to the team thats struggled quite a bit this season is still quite a worry.

Stranded Yay, and another thread that started trying to have a positive slant is turned on it's head within seconds.

Well done all, well done.

I hear what your saying, but can you not see the reasons why the negativity has sprung up? We're fighting a relegation battle, we've got just about the worst defensive record in the league, and we've done very little to improve the team during the only opportunity we have to do so between now and the end of the season. The lack of positivity is hardly surprising is it!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Jan 2008 12:38

Of course I can understand why there is some negativity, it begins to grate a bit when any new thread attempting to show some positive thoughts is turned immediately when there is plenty of other threads already down that road.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 31 Jan 2008 12:40

Stranded Of course I can understand why there is some negativity, it begins to grate a bit when any new thread attempting to show some positive thoughts is turned immediately when there is plenty of other threads already down that road.

Possibly in the same way as the doom mongers probably don't like to have their suicidal threads interupted with bursts of unsubstantiated optimism!

Daniella

by Daniella » 31 Jan 2008 12:51

Hoop Blah
Stranded Of course I can understand why there is some negativity, it begins to grate a bit when any new thread attempting to show some positive thoughts is turned immediately when there is plenty of other threads already down that road.

Possibly in the same way as the doom mongers probably don't like to have their suicidal threads interupted with bursts of unsubstantiated optimism!

Exactly, don't expect him to understand this though. Its a vicious cycle.

We have the worst defence in the league and have no ambition of improving it, good work club.

Do you have to concede 10 in a game for coppell to take notice that this is a weak area, I mean FFS honestly, our defence is the laughing stock of the country and has been all season.
Last night we were lucky not to have lost by 4-5, chelsea missed some shocking chances like anelka and wright-phillips (twice), it could of been a lot worse. They have shown no signs of improving and still we lumber on with them. Its ridiculous.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 31 Jan 2008 13:07

Only one Trevor Morley

We signed Hunt on a free tranfer , Kitson for peanuts and the same for Doyle - non of these could be seen being a signing of note - and yet they have proved themselves........

There might be a difference though. I believe Coppell actually saw Hunt, Kitson and Doyle play before he signed them!

Perhaps he's also letting Nick Hammond and co pick the team for him too!

Blue Blooded

At the moment there is Blind panic, so perhaps supporters/Fans should really be thinking of the part they are playing!

I was referring to the complacency and blind optimism amongst the fans (and yes, fans' pressure does still have some influence as many managers have found to their cost - although I want the pressure to be for investment not SC's head at this stage). However, I'm beginning to think the complacency cap may well fit some at the club too.

As regards the fans causing panic; as with any other business it's the leader's job to take the lead and do everything possible to increase morale. Which of the leaders at RFC have really been doing that?

And JM coming out on the pitch and flapping his arms up and down will be no more effective than Delia's 'Let's be 'avin you!'

M U R T Y

by M U R T Y » 31 Jan 2008 13:16

RoyalBlue
There might be a difference though. I believe Coppell actually saw Hunt, Kitson and Doyle play before he signed them!

He is, our chief scout came up with the team for Man Yoo

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 31 Jan 2008 13:21

RoyalBlue
Only one Trevor Morley

Blue Blooded

I was referring to the complacency and blind optimism amongst the fans (and yes, fans' pressure does still have some influence as many managers have found to their cost - although I want the pressure to be for investment not SC's head at this stage). However, I'm beginning to think the complacency cap may well fit some at the club too.

As regards the fans causing panic; as with any other business it's the leader's job to take the lead and do everything possible to increase morale. Which of the leaders at RFC have really been doing that?

And JM coming out on the pitch and flapping his arms up and down will be no more effective than Delia's 'Let's be 'avin you!'

Take a chill pill RB. The way you're talking you're going to give yourself an epi. When did this fall into disillusionment begin? You used to be a positive poster...

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 31 Jan 2008 13:44

RoyalBlue I was referring to the complacency and blind optimism amongst the fans (and yes, fans' pressure does still have some influence as many managers have found to their cost - although I want the pressure to be for investment not SC's head at this stage). However, I'm beginning to think the complacency cap may well fit some at the club too.

where is there blind optimism among fans? Nobody is saying we are certain to stay up, but others have us as favourites to go down.

Blue Blooded

by Blue Blooded » 31 Jan 2008 13:46

However, I'm beginning to think the complacency cap may well fit some at the club too.

I think that the complacency cap may fit certain squad players - but it certainly doesn't fit Coppell. Perhaps he has his thinking cap on.

AS for the leaders increasing morale you are spot on about that. The problem has to be Psychological and this has to be overcome. Surely it is not easy when one considers the varied temperaments within the squad. Has Coppell got the intelligence to be able to approach players in the right manner for them? With some players he might have had the right idea - maybe Lita will come into the fore. However with Fae - he has got it so wrong (At least in terms of the individual - could be right in other ways).

For all those going on about no bold moves on the transfer market - I would be interested in who you would go for and whether the decision would be based on ability alone?

Admittedly the club has it seems been shooting themselves in the foot for some time. Saying they were punching above their weight was sure to bring questions of their abilities.

Maybe Coppell should purchase last seasons review tonight and play it to the squad to remind the Reading Team just how good they were last year. After all does the table lie?

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 31 Jan 2008 14:09

Royal Rother Most of the negative posters were absolutely insistent that Shorey and Lita would not still be with us at the end of the season - in both transfer windows that speculation was rife and their sale was going to be another sign of small club mentality. And of course Hunt was absolutely bound to leave this tinpot club once Roy Keane came in for him...

The way Shorey has played this season,the lack of input by Lita and bringing in a right-sided player makes your example look pretty good to me. :wink:

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 01 Feb 2008 00:45

Reading transfer window - a summary. (RTG's look away, you'll probably end up slating me for it so don't bother wasting your time reading it :) everyone else read on, hopefully you'll get a laugh...although it's true..yeah really honestly! This is actually a diary of a struggling Premiership club's visionary way of beating the drop!)

When news broke that Coppell was set to splash the cash this January, suddenly optimism appeared. OK Coppell should have done it in the summer but at least he was man enough to admit his mistake and realise the need for investment. January would sort it out. Chatted with mates 'whose he gonna bring in?' quite exciting all this..their response 'we won't sign anyone of note' Nonsense was the cry, he'd actually come out in the press (not very Coppell like) and stated we'd need to invest..surely he was?

And as the weeks ticked by and the noises changed it became apparant that yet again it was all a big load of spin yet again, and yet again fans (myself included) fell for it. Suckered in by the claims that it was time for Reading to start financially competing with some of the 'slightly' bigger boys. Players came and went elsewhere, but where we Reading? Why weren't these players at the Madejski? Oh well someone will come in. Marek Matejovsky..whose he was the cry? No Idea was the reply...but he's played for the Czech repubilc that's quite promising..still Coppell hasn't thrown him in for a start yet hopefully saturday is the time. OK well that's one in that's a start...probably not one of the people fans would have been looking too but even so anyone playing for the Czech's has to be pretty good.

News broke that Sunderland had bid for Stephen Hunt, Hunty never ruled it out which was disappointing yet Coppell was adament Hunt was going nowhere. Yet despite being knocked back Sunderland kept returning..why? Unless the noise wasn't 'oxf*rd off he's not for sale' maybe it was 'that offers not good enough' Anyway Reading held on, good stuff well that's one to be happy about.

Leroy Lita announced his unhappiness about a lack of first team football inciting specualtion that he would depart in January if he didn't play. Seems to have worked because he's been far more involved since his outburst, regardless no bids were made or that we know of and he's stayed put for now.

Days ticked by and noises were coming out no one else was coming in..WHAT? A month ago we couldn't wait for January and now Coppell hates it, thinks it's all wrong, not gonna do anything. Jimmy Kebe joins from French 2nd Division. A wind up surely? Reading are battling for their lives and they sign a complete unknown, injured, speaks no English, not good enough either for his parent club or his country yet good enough for someone in the English Premiership and for the dogfight to follow, to top it off Coppell has never seen the lad play, I'm certain I could make a 5 minute DVD of me looking brilliant, maybe I should send it to RFC?...staggering signing in all honesty, more the timing of it than anything, anyone thinking he'll make any sort of impact over the next 10 games is living in cuckoo land.

OK so that's 2 in, definitely not the sort of 2 anyone was looking at, so surely come the last day or two a few wise old heads would come in and bulk up this depleted and bewildered squad of players. A couple of players to give everyone a lift.......Pearce, Henry and Cox leave the club. 3 of the so called 'bright' prospects all out. 'This concludes Reading's business' What business was that then? The business of talking your product up and spouting future plans, get your customers (fans) to believe in what your saying ie get them through the gate with promises afoot, yet pull out of it weeks later once they are hooked on. A fine con job.

The window is now shut, we get an injury up front, that's it can't do anything..Sonko comes back as bad as before, we have what we've got, if Kebe and Matejovsky don't settle or aren't good enough tough that's what we've got.

A Premiership club in name but that's it really. This isn't a Premiership club at all. We don't pay Premiership wages, we don't pay Premiership fees and to be honest half of our squad shouldn't be Premiership players. Just what are we doing here?!

Is it a case maybe that JM just wants to sell up now? Does he not want to throw anymore of either his or the Prem money at a cause where his heart isn't in it anymore? If that's the case, I don't blame him in all honesty. He's had a great run here, brought this club on lightyears, but he should make sure club employees don't spout the kind of crap they have over the last 3 weeks.

Is it a case that we can't attract players? (simple hint ££££ usually works) Wigan, Bham, Derby FFS!! all managed it.

Or is it a case that Coppell doesn't want to spend money? I find that HIGHLY unlikely given the interviews he has given a matter of weeks ago. What manager doesn't want to spend money and improve his team???!

Is this all over the top? Is it an exaggeration? am i being a tit? Probably...but even the most ardent RTG will read bits of this and nod.

These players have done so so well over the last 2 years, have produced some of the most proud and brilliant moments in that time. But the whole club is going stale. Hot air words don't cut it anymore guys. The squad is stale, there is no atmosphere in the ground because people are bored of watching the same old faces everyweek, you couldn't get a ticket for any home game last season a week before the game, now they'll be lucky to get 20,000 for Saturday's game, people (who aren't diehard fans) just won't buy into a product that doesn't seem to be progressing and moving forwards.. it's not an exciting place to be anymore. The squad desperately lacks pace and flair and has more holes in it's defense than a golf course yet there hasn't been a single defensive signing made to try and stop the goals going in... We'll lose 2 or 3 games and be awful then out of nowhere get a result and performance like the Liverpool one, they then seem to think suddenly they are all good enough again, forgetting the previous problems. No surprise that we have hardly won a game since. What's the saying? Evey dog has it's day? That was Reading's woof day for the season.

It's an ageing squad, full of triers but no real quality. No one capable of beating a few players and getting you off your seat in anticipation. No really gifted and skillful players to create and excite. What you will get is 100%, the players here will run their guts out most of the time, which in itself is great to see but at this level it's just not enough.

It's a mass rant, I apologise for the length and negative slant I've stuck on it, I don't want to be pessimistic, I don't enjoy writing this but I'm bored of the hot air with absolutely no action behind it.

IF Reading go down it will be deserved and I would like to see people start taking responsibilty for this chain of failed transfer windows. It's beyond a joke now. an absolutely appalling return of players still with no one whose an improvement on Reading 2005/2006.

REALLY REALLY disappointed but ultimately not surprised.

Goodnight all, last one out turn the lights off.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 01 Feb 2008 00:54

Alan Partridge Reading transfer window - a summary. (RTG's look away, you'll probably end up slating me for it so don't bother wasting your time reading it :) everyone else read on, hopefully you'll get a laugh...although it's true..yeah really honestly! This is actually a diary of a struggling Premiership club's visionary way of beating the drop!)

When news broke that Coppell was set to splash the cash this January, suddenly optimism appeared. OK Coppell should have done it in the summer but at least he was man enough to admit his mistake and realise the need for investment. January would sort it out. Chatted with mates 'whose he gonna bring in?' quite exciting all this..their response 'we won't sign anyone of note' Nonsense was the cry, he'd actually come out in the press (not very Coppell like) and stated we'd need to invest..surely he was?

And as the weeks ticked by and the noises changed it became apparant that yet again it was all a big load of spin yet again, and yet again fans (myself included) fell for it. Suckered in by the claims that it was time for Reading to start financially competing with some of the 'slightly' bigger boys. Players came and went elsewhere, but where we Reading? Why weren't these players at the Madejski? Oh well someone will come in. Marek Matejovsky..whose he was the cry? No Idea was the reply...but he's played for the Czech repubilc that's quite promising..still Coppell hasn't thrown him in for a start yet hopefully saturday is the time. OK well that's one in that's a start...probably not one of the people fans would have been looking too but even so anyone playing for the Czech's has to be pretty good.

News broke that Sunderland had bid for Stephen Hunt, Hunty never ruled it out which was disappointing yet Coppell was adament Hunt was going nowhere. Yet despite being knocked back Sunderland kept returning..why? Unless the noise wasn't 'oxf*rd off he's not for sale' maybe it was 'that offers not good enough' Anyway Reading held on, good stuff well that's one to be happy about.

Leroy Lita announced his unhappiness about a lack of first team football inciting specualtion that he would depart in January if he didn't play. Seems to have worked because he's been far more involved since his outburst, regardless no bids were made or that we know of and he's stayed put for now.

Days ticked by and noises were coming out no one else was coming in..WHAT? A month ago we couldn't wait for January and now Coppell hates it, thinks it's all wrong, not gonna do anything. Jimmy Kebe joins from French 2nd Division. A wind up surely? Reading are battling for their lives and they sign a complete unknown, injured, speaks no English, not good enough either for his parent club or his country yet good enough for someone in the English Premiership and for the dogfight to follow, to top it off Coppell has never seen the lad play, I'm certain I could make a 5 minute DVD of me looking brilliant, maybe I should send it to RFC?...staggering signing in all honesty, more the timing of it than anything, anyone thinking he'll make any sort of impact over the next 10 games is living in cuckoo land.

OK so that's 2 in, definitely not the sort of 2 anyone was looking at, so surely come the last day or two a few wise old heads would come in and bulk up this depleted and bewildered squad of players. A couple of players to give everyone a lift.......Pearce, Henry and Cox leave the club. 3 of the so called 'bright' prospects all out. 'This concludes Reading's business' What business was that then? The business of talking your product up and spouting future plans, get your customers (fans) to believe in what your saying ie get them through the gate with promises afoot, yet pull out of it weeks later once they are hooked on. A fine con job.

The window is now shut, we get an injury up front, that's it can't do anything..Sonko comes back as bad as before, we have what we've got, if Kebe and Matejovsky don't settle or aren't good enough tough that's what we've got.

A Premiership club in name but that's it really. This isn't a Premiership club at all. We don't pay Premiership wages, we don't pay Premiership fees and to be honest half of our squad shouldn't be Premiership players. Just what are we doing here?!

Is it a case maybe that JM just wants to sell up now? Does he not want to throw anymore of either his or the Prem money at a cause where his heart isn't in it anymore? If that's the case, I don't blame him in all honesty. He's had a great run here, brought this club on lightyears, but he should make sure club employees don't spout the kind of crap they have over the last 3 weeks.

Is it a case that we can't attract players? (simple hint ££££ usually works) Wigan, Bham, Derby FFS!! all managed it.

Or is it a case that Coppell doesn't want to spend money? I find that HIGHLY unlikely given the interviews he has given a matter of weeks ago. What manager doesn't want to spend money and improve his team???!

Is this all over the top? Is it an exaggeration? am i being a tit? Probably...but even the most ardent RTG will read bits of this and nod.

These players have done so so well over the last 2 years, have produced some of the most proud and brilliant moments in that time. But the whole club is going stale. Hot air words don't cut it anymore guys. The squad is stale, there is no atmosphere in the ground because people are bored of watching the same old faces everyweek, you couldn't get a ticket for any home game last season a week before the game, now they'll be lucky to get 20,000 for Saturday's game, people (who aren't diehard fans) just won't buy into a product that doesn't seem to be progressing and moving forwards.. it's not an exciting place to be anymore. The squad desperately lacks pace and flair and has more holes in it's defense than a golf course yet there hasn't been a single defensive signing made to try and stop the goals going in... We'll lose 2 or 3 games and be awful then out of nowhere get a result and performance like the Liverpool one, they then seem to think suddenly they are all good enough again, forgetting the previous problems. No surprise that we have hardly won a game since. What's the saying? Evey dog has it's day? That was Reading's woof day for the season.

It's an ageing squad, full of triers but no real quality. No one capable of beating a few players and getting you off your seat in anticipation. No really gifted and skillful players to create and excite. What you will get is 100%, the players here will run their guts out most of the time, which in itself is great to see but at this level it's just not enough.

It's a mass rant, I apologise for the length and negative slant I've stuck on it, I don't want to be pessimistic, I don't enjoy writing this but I'm bored of the hot air with absolutely no action behind it.

IF Reading go down it will be deserved and I would like to see people start taking responsibilty for this chain of failed transfer windows. It's beyond a joke now. an absolutely appalling return of players still with no one whose an improvement on Reading 2005/2006.

REALLY REALLY disappointed but ultimately not surprised.

Goodnight all, last one out turn the lights off.

I am worried about you AP. Please don't do anything stupid!

470 posts