Murty's Testimonial

372 posts
CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Murty's Testimonial

by CMRoyal » 21 Jul 2009 08:44

winchester_royal A pretty naff night I thought TBH. Particularly in the second half when it was the second string from both sides.

Real shame for Murts that he didn't get a competitive game against decent opposition.

But typical of him to make the best of what he had. Absolutely sums the guy up, that attitude last night. Top bloke. First half was OK I thought, we saw something of how the first XI will set itself out and there were interesting performances from the youngsters. Once again I was impressed by Church's movement - does he have the end-product though? It did degenerate football-wise in the second-half, but most people seemed to be enjoying themselves, which was the important thing.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 21 Jul 2009 08:49

Scarface
3 veesinarow As someone who spent almost 2 hours before the game in the company of Murts and his mobile, let me put a few "facts" to bed - Doyle had a scan this morning for a hernia and was not allowed to play, Simon Cox was refused permission by West Brom, Nicky Forster was down to play, but had a calf problem, James Harper has a groin problem, Marcus was only given permission to play for 10 minutes (but did over 20), Scott Murray pulled out 2 hours before the game and Dan Harding was also due to appear, but dropped out at the last minute. Sammy Igoe, however, was a last minute addition...as was Tom Hateley, son of Tony, who Murts collared in the hotel bar to make up numbers due to the drop-offs...

Where was Kitson then ? Is he that hated, even Murty didn't want him to play.

Abroad with Stoke, just like Sonko.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 21 Jul 2009 08:52

winchester_royal A pretty naff night I thought TBH. Particularly in the second half when it was the second string from both sides.

Real shame for Murts that he didn't get a competitive game against decent opposition.

You're never going to get a "competitive" pre-season testimonial.

What player is going to go in hard for any challenges and risk an injury in a game that just doesn't matter?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Jul 2009 08:53

Stoke are in Germany and playing tonight so Kitson was unavailable.

Boobies - I'd say 7,500 is about right. It may only have been £10/£5 to get in but for a lot of families you'd still be looking at a £50 night I would hazard - thats hard for a lot of people to justify for a testimonial.

It also right at the start of the school holidays and I would hazard that a lot of people may be away if they are going away.

The game was played at the wrong time for me (no-ones fault really) and that had a massive impact on the numbers.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 21 Jul 2009 08:55

I'm really glad I went last night.

It was enjoyable throughout, played in a good spirit (mostly) and there were some decent moves. It was an emotional send-off and I'm glad we got to see him (and some others) and to say goodbye.

The only dampener was the quality of the PA and his system. I want the Back the Boys man back.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 21 Jul 2009 08:59

Truth is, football's an expensive night out, and on a Monday night as well people are going to be reluctant. I'll be honest, this is the first time I've ever been to a testimonial, and I doubt there's anyone other than Murts who could drag me to one, so it'll probably be my last. I'm glad I went though.

Trigger

by Trigger » 21 Jul 2009 08:59

I would have gone if it had been against Celtic or some other proper side, but a youth team v old boys runabout on a Monday night seemed like a load of pointless backslapping. There is nothing exciting about a match in which a player takes a penalty against his own side.

Murty is a great guy but has had plenty of acclaim and reward for his excellent efforts in a Reading shirt. Best of luck to him, and Marcus and all others who've been important to RFC over recent years.

Sorry.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Jul 2009 09:00

Personnally i found it a total cringe fest. Very unfitting for a true Reading legend. Particulary woeful moments was Murty taking an o.g. penalty, Murty taking the ref assistants flag and the referee showing a yellow card to the ref's assistant.

Brendan Rodgers being introduced to the Reading crowd and no-one clapping him because the P.A. did not work.

On a football note - you can certainly see from last night how Rodgers is going to set his team up. There was hardly one "hoof ball" all night and everything was from the floor and out the back - Going to be an interesting year, whether fans will have the patience for it remains to be seen, but its a season that i am looking forward too.

Thanks for the memories Murts, onwards and upwards.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 21 Jul 2009 09:28

Yes, it's all just a bit of fun and we were all there to pay homage to the great man rather than watch a game but is it too much to ask to have a game kick off on time and play 45 mins each way? And have a PA system that allows people to know who is being introduced. I had no idea who half the Reading team was in the first half.

Oh, and LOL atanyone judging a player on last nights performance - it was a pantomine.

Good luck Murts, a role model in every way imaginable - it's a shame he can't be accomodated at the club somewhere.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 21 Jul 2009 09:33

Enjoyed last night (PA excepted !).

Just what you'd expect from a testimonial really. Some decent football, a fair bit of humour, the main man taking a starring role and some legends putting in an appearance.

Great that Murts scored three pens all at the end that 'the' pen was scored, couldn;t have been better if it had been planned !

A nice, warm feeling about the evning that was Murts to a tee. Glad I went to say cheerio.

Perhaps he'll be back at some time in the future but while he wants to carry on playing it's obvious he has to move on. See you in a few years Murts if you decide that you want to stay in the game !

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 21 Jul 2009 09:33

Schards#2 Yes, it's all just a bit of fun and we were all there to pay homage to the great man rather than watch a game but is it too much to ask to have a game kick off on time and play 45 mins each way? And have a PA system that allows people to know who is being introduced. I had no idea who half the Reading team was in the first half.

Oh, and LOL atanyone judging a player on last nights performance - it was a pantomine.

Good luck Murts, a role model in every way imaginable - it's a shame he can't be accomodated at the club somewhere.

Ditto

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Jul 2009 09:43

Sun Tzu Enjoyed last night (PA excepted !).

Just what you'd expect from a testimonial really. Some decent football, a fair bit of humour, the main man taking a starring role and some legends putting in an appearance.

Great that Murts scored three pens all at the end that 'the' pen was scored, couldn;t have been better if it had been planned !
A nice, warm feeling about the evning that was Murts to a tee. Glad I went to say cheerio.

Perhaps he'll be back at some time in the future but while he wants to carry on playing it's obvious he has to move on. See you in a few years Murts if you decide that you want to stay in the game !

Err, I think you'll find it was.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 21 Jul 2009 09:44

Schards#2 is it too much to ask to...have a PA system that allows people to know who is being introduced. I had no idea who half the Reading team was in the first half.

Were you in the West Stand? We made a rare pilgrimage to that place of milk, honey and sunkissed maidens and could hear every word, including every player announcement. How the other half lives, eh?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 21 Jul 2009 09:53

Gordons Cumming
Schards#2 Yes, it's all just a bit of fun and we were all there to pay homage to the great man rather than watch a game but is it too much to ask to have a game kick off on time and play 45 mins each way? And have a PA system that allows people to know who is being introduced. I had no idea who half the Reading team was in the first half.

Ditto

My thoughts as well. £10 doesn't sound a lot of money but those lads were easily capable of playing the remaining 15minutes!

Even for a testimonial it was prety woeful stuff, thank god for the referee getting bored to stop what could have been one of the first ever 0-0's in a testimonial!!

BobKnows

by BobKnows » 21 Jul 2009 09:55

Yeah reminded me of that final "celebration" of Elm Park where the PA system was tinnier than um a tin, and everyone was just standing around in baffled amusement. That said, nice evening, was glad to be there to say goodbye and can't believe anyone could be bah humbag about going to send off a great servant to the club, regardless of opposition / date. Cnuts.

BobKnows

by BobKnows » 21 Jul 2009 09:56

Oh and I nearly fainted when Martin Butler came out, and his hair was as glorious as I remembered :oops: :oops: :oops:

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 21 Jul 2009 09:58

CMRoyal
Schards#2 is it too much to ask to...have a PA system that allows people to know who is being introduced. I had no idea who half the Reading team was in the first half.

Were you in the West Stand? We made a rare pilgrimage to that place of milk, honey and sunkissed maidens and could hear every word, including every player announcement. How the other half lives, eh?

East Stand - the PA wasn't switched on and the echo from the other speakers made it as unintelligable as a snowball stat post.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 21 Jul 2009 10:05

Schards#2
CMRoyal

East Stand - the PA wasn't switched on and the echo from the other speakers made it as unintelligable as a snowball stat post.

That explains a lot! What prats.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 21 Jul 2009 10:15

Schards#2 And have a PA system that allows people to know who is being introduced. I had no idea who half the Reading team was in the first half.

That would explain why the East Stand were chanting M-U-R-T-Y during Gordon Neate's spot in the limelight.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 21 Jul 2009 10:33

Stranded

Err, I think you'll find it was.

A rare thing, a Stranded whoosh !!

I did kind of spot that all 3 pens were slightly generous.....

372 posts