RODGERS OUT. END OF

467 posts
SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

Re: RODGERS OUT. END OF

by SLAMMED » 22 Oct 2009 16:57

brendywendy
SLAMMED Can someone sum this up for me in 1 word?

blah

Ty.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 22 Oct 2009 17:05

brendywendy id rather have a dinner jacket

Isn't he on a long term contract to the Presidency of Iran?

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 22 Oct 2009 18:03

SLAMMED
Wimb
The Quiet Man Excellent argument Wimb but I think you are wrong in your assumptions.

Football management, as opposed to coaching/managing Academy sides, is a very very tough business where you are either good enough or you're not based on results on the pitch, and there is no room for sentiment either side (you are also well paid for the pressure).

Plenty of managers have taken over good sides and run them into the ground and plenty have taken bad sides and made them better, some times you are the right guy at the right time, other times you could be the best manager in the world but you are at the wrong place at the wrong time.

I don't doubt BR's heart is in the right place but the championship is an unrelently grim struggle where there are no absolutely awful sides (although we are certainly trying to nail this one at the moment) and you get results based on how consistently you compete and win close fought games. You simply don't have the time to d*ck about finding your best side or best suited tactics you need to go in with a game plan that reflects the assets you have got, not the fantasy team you would like to create.

BR has failed to produce a consistent team selection, a recognised tactical strategy that makes the most of what he has got (i.e. don't play premier league passing football in the champ, don't play one up front when you have no one in the side who has pace and is good at it), and has never shown a sense that he knows where the remedy is (his transfer policy has been absolute toilet bringing in players that are actually worse than we have at present).

RFC used to have as one of its key motivators - we may not have the best players but we will have the fittest and most competitive to make up for that - can you say the same now. We have one of the most uncompetitive midfields I've seen at Reading, we look unfit, we have used over thirty players, 5 or 6 different tactical formations, and have no discernable shape when things go against us. In other words BR has built a classic relegation side that starts brightly and fades badly, often completely falling apart when put under pressure.

Sacking him and appointing someone new may or may not be the answer, I'd see it as a acknowledgement of just how far wrong SJM and hapless hammond have got this season (and the last two in terms of team building), and I'd fully expect that relegation may only be avoided by a whisker anyway as a result of the strategy they have pursued. This should not be BR's fight anymore because he is clueless about the answers and has now lost many of the players and most of the travelling support, neither of whom have much faith that he, or the rest of the coaching staff know what they are doing.

I'd go for change while we still have a chance to reshape the team under someone who knows what championship football is about and we still have the majority of the relegation 6 pointers to play (we have only really screwed up Peterborough away so far). It will not be pretty passing football that will get us out of this mess but physical hard work, ugly football (stopping the opposition) and defensive solidity (we do not have many goals in us) that will allow us to escape division one. Rodgers time has come and gone and so should he.

Very valid points good sir,

I think in a way BR is a victim of his own job interview and ambitions. He honestly thought he had the players and could bring in those players to make his 'systems' work. Tommy Smith is obviously the biggest case of missing out on a key player and there really is no telling how differently things might be with him. We also don't know what other targets we missed out on while the purse strings were tight while we waiting for Shunt to shunt off and for any Bikey bids to come in. For all we know he lost out on 2 or 3 more, I know he wanted Stoch as well.

In this respect you can't help but get the feeling Rodgers played 2 formations in those first 5 or 6 games with a view to prepping some players (gunnar, cisse, kebe, bertrand, church etc) to play in his new model, on the assumption that he'd be able to bring in faces to make it work. It's fair to say that despite the dross the names I've mentioned above have actually done ok but the whole side is being let down by individual errors game after bloody game :D Cummings at WBA, Fedders at home to Sheff, Hunt wasting good chances at home to Cardiff, Ivar getting sent off at QPR and so on.

I think that Rodgers has indeed just started to panic a little because he realises his entire blueprint cannot work right now (as you alluded too, passing style in the CCC etc) and is struggling to settle on a plan B. Once again, without making too many excuses he seemed to have a settledish 14-15 and then O'Dea, Bertrand and NHunt get crocked, 3 of our best players.

He's clearly messed around and tried to be too fancy but I think he's actually learned from that without doing TOO much damage to the season. I've posted in the perspective thread, but he hasn't lost to the teams at the bottom aside from Boro and really had we put away chances and had a slice of luck we could easily have 6-8 more points. I honestly don't care when we're getting ripped apart at West Brom, by Boro or even at QPR where Rodgers HAS to get results from now is those matches against bottom 8 sides. It's what oxf*rd is in the PL and what will doom us again.

There's clearly been a change of heart from the guy in releation to his 'big book of tactics' and reading in and on the lines of his interviews you can see that he's prepared to look like a fool, admit he cocked up and do what's neccesary to get points. I just hope he's given time to do it. I won't forget the entire reason I was pleased with BR being appointed in the first place and that was to build a side over 2 or 3 years that could entertain us. The second half of last year showed that hoofball can still get you to the playoffs but was it fun to do so? It clearly wasn't that fun for many as thousands couldn't be arsed for the 5th biggest playoff game in the clubs history.

Anyways thanks for the kind words from posters above and its good to get some decent opinions rather then kebe is shit ;)

Can someone sum this up for me in 1 word?

I can do 1 sentence.

Well reasoned, thought out and required a lot of words because they're not just coming up with mind numbing arguments such as "Kebe is shit".

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 22 Oct 2009 18:05

Terminal Boardom
brendywendy id rather have a dinner jacket

Isn't he on a long term contract to the Presidency of Iran?

thats his brother Imadinnerjacket
idratherhavea, is his younger sibling- and very big in iranian football

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 22 Oct 2009 18:08

We're building a world class model guys....

:roll:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 22 Oct 2009 18:20

rg6royal We're building a world class model guys....

:roll:

even the worlds greatest airfix, starts off as a bunch of grey old plastic in no real semblance of order........

or5 summink

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 23 Oct 2009 00:59

SLAMMED LOL @ Floyd streete posting drunk. :lol:

Wasn't drunk, honeybun, New York is 5 hours behind the UK and I was en route to Broadway with the missis who had just done our return flight check-in online so I dictated my post to her as I sat reading the Wall Street Journal eating a cwoffee and a hot doig.....anyway why am I explaining myself to you when you are one of my very least favourite posters? :|.

The afternoon before I was so angry about unfolding events from Loftus Road relayed to me by text message from Handbags Harris that I pushed a small Japanese man and his camera off the top of the Rockefeller centre. If this alarming trend of results continues I will be tossing Reading Elvis off the top of Queens Road car park Monday night.
Last edited by floyd__streete on 23 Oct 2009 01:17, edited 3 times in total.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 23 Oct 2009 01:00

I've heard that he's lost the dressing room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W9BZSkNSjU

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 23 Oct 2009 09:47

Rodgers was on SSN this morning, and i quote:

" In a league like this we can definately make the play offs, if you put a run together you are right up there"

" I believe in the squad of players i have here "

" We will fight as hard as ever "

:|

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 23 Oct 2009 10:00

I'm thinking I'll wait for the Leicester game. If we don't get anything from that game, then I might start turning against Rodgers. However, I still believe that a manager should be given time, at least more than 10 games to get it right.

(.)Boobies(.)

by (.)Boobies(.) » 23 Oct 2009 10:22

Focher Rodgers was on SSN this morning, and i quote:

" In a league like this we can definately make the play offs, if you put a run together you are right up there"

" I believe in the squad of players i have here "

" We will fight as hard as ever "

:|

Palace under Dowie a few years ago proves he's right. Sunderland too? But that was after a change of manager!

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 23 Oct 2009 10:29

You need good strikers, though. Palace's run more or less started against us when Johnson ran us ragged.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 23 Oct 2009 10:30

I think we should give him until the end of the season - under the condition that he's allowed to be strung upside down by his balls in the town centre if we're relegated. Then we'll see how much he really cares.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 23 Oct 2009 10:34

i don't doubt his theory in any way at all, of course it can be done.

Unfortunately though he has a totally incoherent team, half of which can't shake the Coppell traits, the other half just not good enough, can't score goals, can't defend, shit themselves when they go in front, unfit, can't cross, can't finish, and at the moment totally devoid of leadership.

If we can manage to eradicate these negative points though we could have a chance 8)

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 23 Oct 2009 10:45

rhroyal I think we should give him until the end of the season - under the condition that he's allowed to be strung upside down by his balls in the town centre if we're relegated. Then we'll see how much he really cares.

He does care - he really, really, deeply cares. As does everyone at the club (except maybe some of the players ....)

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 23 Oct 2009 10:51

Focher i don't doubt his theory in any way at all, of course it can be done.

Unfortunately though he has a totally incoherent team, half of which can't shake the Coppell traits, the other half just not good enough, can't score goals, can't defend, shit themselves when they go in front, unfit, can't cross, can't finish, and at the moment totally devoid of leadership.

If we can manage to eradicate these negative points though we could have a chance 8)

It's not all bad news then! :wink:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 23 Oct 2009 13:06

Dirk Gently He does care - he really, really, deeply cares.

Pfff, it is just more spin and empty rhetoric. All he really cares about is the imminent puncturing of his implausibly large ego.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Oct 2009 13:10

floyd__streete
Dirk Gently He does care - he really, really, deeply cares. As does everyone at the club (except maybe some of the players ....)

Pfff, it is just more spin and empty rhetoric. Who would believe a word this bloke says.

I believe he cares. I also believe he's totally out of his depth and clueless. Unfortunately he still believes in himself even if all the evidence suggests he shouldn't and because of that and the fact he cares, he'll stay forever trying to turn it around with panicky desperation changes, rather than step down.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 23 Oct 2009 13:11

floyd__streete
Dirk Gently He does care - he really, really, deeply cares.

Pfff, it is just more spin and empty rhetoric. All he really cares about is the imminent puncturing of his implausibly large ego.

Sorry, but that's a load of bollox. He may care too much, in fact, but he definitely cares.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 23 Oct 2009 13:13

Why would anyone believe anything this guy says? I don’t know my best team, I haven’t yet brought in the right players, our season starts now. All lame excuses from a dead man walking, trying to retain some credibility and save his own skin. He deserves all the sh*t he gets in all honesty after all his talk of world class models and laminated books of soccer tactics and perhaps when he is managing Cheltenham Town next season he might have found his level and learned that even football supporters – hardly University Challenge candidates on the whole – can eventually see through empty rhetoric.

467 posts