How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

3209 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

by Ian Royal » 01 Mar 2013 12:38

Is anyone even saying he should get sacked? From what I can see the worst people are saying is that he isn't doing a good job right now, hasn't for a lot of this season. But that he'll be with us til at least November. The time to sack him, if it was to happen, was December. Seeing as he then won manager of the month it seems the right decision to have made.

He's got support, because he's such a nice chap and he's done a good job in his previous seasons. But that doesn't make him immune to criticism when things are going wrong. Especially when there's a good chance he's at least partially responsible.

BenSmith91

by BenSmith91 » 01 Mar 2013 12:38

Vuvuzela's anyone? It could be that illusive atmosphere-generating vice that gets us over the line.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Mar 2013 12:44

Not sure how an irritating whiney horn is going help make up for a shit central midfield, shit defence and one decent striker.

BenSmith91

by BenSmith91 » 01 Mar 2013 13:01

Ian Royal Not sure how an irritating whiney horn is going help make up for a shit central midfield, shit defence and one decent striker.

You lack faith in the power of the whiney horn.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 01 Mar 2013 13:19

Ian Royal Is anyone even saying he should get sacked? From what I can see the worst people are saying is that he isn't doing a good job right now, hasn't for a lot of this season. But that he'll be with us til at least November. The time to sack him, if it was to happen, was December. Seeing as he then won manager of the month it seems the right decision to have made.

He's got support, because he's such a nice chap and he's done a good job in his previous seasons. But that doesn't make him immune to criticism when things are going wrong. Especially when there's a good chance he's at least partially responsible.

I don't think even the most anti BM will suggest he should be sacked now, that should have been done before the last Transfer Window IMO. Whether it was the right decsion to stick with him, then we will know at the end of the season, but better to stick with him now. I even think that he is as good as anyone to give us a chance of promotion in the highly likley event of relagation.

My firm view now though is he should not be given another full season in the Prem again. His tactical decsions, brand of hoofball football and loyalty to certain players make him a liability at the highest level. He could get away with it in the Chump, unfortunately in the Prem he is getting found out most weeks.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 01 Mar 2013 13:31

Ian Royal he'll be with us til at least November.

:lol:

Hob Nob is giving Brian 9 months to prove himself eh?

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 01 Mar 2013 13:31

If he doesn't play Pearce this weekend, sack him.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 01 Mar 2013 13:36

floyd__streete

I think Ian was just expressing a viewpoint that Brian won't leave the club before November.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 01 Mar 2013 14:30

melonhead
He basically condemned any abuse aimed at him as ramblings of a spoiled generation of Reading fans, and refusing to accept any blame for what was a blatantly poor performance.

i do kind of agree
though its foolish for him to say it

'I would say that in the last 10 years or so, Reading Football Club has known nothing but success'

Brian, in the last 10 years we have been relegated, lost in a play-off final, lost twice in play-off semi finals, gone 6 months without a home win, had a manager walk out when we were looking good for promotion, seen our most promising young player ever sold after half a season, and lost in an FA cup quarter final when 2-0 up and 45 minutes from Wembley.

all true.....but.....relegation from our first ever stint in the prem, actually got to a play off final,actually got to two play off semis, had players good enough to have sold for big money, got to within 45 mins of a wembley cup semi.....

everything is relative...
and relatively speaking, for us, thats all pretty succesful.

Obviously, which is why I emphasised that it has been a fantastic period for the club. However I am contesting Brian's assertion that we have known 'nothing but success' in the last 10 years.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 01 Mar 2013 15:25

and again, i am making the point- hes simply saying that from his point of view and the clubs, all of those things are part of our successes.
not in the list of failures

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 01 Mar 2013 15:45

The truth is Brian has made mistakes this season. The truth is also that he made mistakes last season as well.

The difference is that last season we won more games than we lost and this season we have lost more games than we have won. Nobbers tend not to be very tolerant when we lose.

Overall Brian has done a great job and until someone suggests a really good option as a replacement candidate that will realistically come here – then I will support Brian to continue in the role. Personally I think he has done a great job and is learning all the time - which can only be a good thing.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Mar 2013 15:49

floyd__streete

No, that's just the earliest he's going to get sacked. I don't see him as likely to resign either.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 01 Mar 2013 16:22

melonhead and again, i am making the point- hes simply saying that from his point of view and the clubs, all of those things are part of our successes.
not in the list of failures

If he thinks that relegation in 07/08 was anything other than a miserable failure then he's lost it more than I originally feared.

Pretty pointless argument anyway, what's happened in the last 10 years should have absolutely no bearing on what we consider an acceptable performance to be in a relegation 6-pointer. 10 years ago Swansea were at the bottom of the football league, and you can guarantee that if they'd lost against Bradford last weekend they wouldn't be saying it's acceptable because of how far they'd come in 10 years.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 01 Mar 2013 19:10

If he thinks that relegation in 07/08 was anything other than a miserable failure then he's lost it more than I originally feared.

like i said, its all relative

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Mar 2013 19:13

melonhead

like i said, its all relative

In terms of that one season, no it's not. You can hardly have a much bigger failure than abject loss of form leading to unnecessary relegation, when you're in the top flight.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 01 Mar 2013 19:22

but then it was our first time ever up at that level, so only a madman would have expected us to stay there forever
still our 2nd best finish ever :lol:

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 01 Mar 2013 19:30

Cypry How exactly?

First goal came from a corner, nothing to do with Hartes pace....

Second goal, Harte was pushed up on the left to support Jobi, and Morrison tamely lost the ball in the Wigan half, giving Kone a twenty yard head start on Harte. I doubt if there's a single left back in the world who could've caught him under those circumstances...

Third goal came down our right side, Harte was nowhere near it. Probably Karacan was most culpable, instead of tracking his man he followed the ball and got done by the return pass....

Harte has never had much pace, but makes up of it with his experience and understanding of the game. It's fine to criticise him when he's actually at fault, but you're blaming him for two goals which were quite clearly not his fault, and had absolutely nothing to do with his lack of pace....

In fact, I challenge you to find a video of a goal this season for which Hartes lack of pace has been the cause (I can't think of a single one)....back up your argument with facts....

After watching highlights from the match I admit that Harte was clearly not at fault for the third goal. Did not watch MOTD that weekend, and was just going from memory. I remembered two goals, or so I thought, from Wigan's right wing that occurred as a result of Harte's pace. What i confused with their 3rd goal was when DI Santo failed to connect with a cross that would have resulted in a definite goal just after Wigan's 3rd, seen at around the 1.00 minute mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHtSVouuogM.
In this incident it is my opinion that Harte's lack of pace meant the crosser was completely unopposed; Harte could not get anywhere near him to close him down.

I maintain that Harte's lack of pace was largely at fault for Wigan's 2nd goal. Overall Harte's a decent player and was an important factor of last season's success. I rate him as equal to Shorey in almost every aspect, but Harte is much slower therefore Shorey should be ahead in the pecking order.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 01 Mar 2013 19:37

melonhead but then it was our first time ever up at that level, so only a madman would have expected us to stay there forever
still our 2nd best finish ever :lol:

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 02 Mar 2013 04:53

So the manager has had difficulties with Roberts, Guthrie, pog, and possibly Shorey. If glad is to be correct it is the player with Prem experience that Brian is having trouble managing.
could that be why we did not sign Prem players in the window, Asian seems to be able to get something from lesser players, like Harte ledge gorks. But sadly not long term it appears

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 02 Mar 2013 07:18

Harpers So Solid Crew So the manager has had difficulties with Roberts, Guthrie, pog, and possibly Shorey. If glad is to be correct it is the player with Prem experience that Brian is having trouble managing.
could that be why we did not sign Prem players in the window, Asian seems to be able to get something from lesser players, like Harte ledge gorks. But sadly not long term it appears

Spot on Yoda.

3209 posts