Jason Roberts idiot

370 posts
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Jason Roberts idiot

by floyd__streete » 18 Dec 2011 14:31

floyd__streete The massive inferiority complex of the Reading supporter on display yet again in this thread.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 18 Dec 2011 17:38

toppy At least there is thought in the letter, and not just some standard waffle.

Not sure about that - the reply I received was exactly the same :

Dear Mr Meek

Reference CAS-1189269-GCB9V6

Thank you for contacting us about ‘The Football League Show’ broadcast on BBC One on 10 December.

We’re sorry for any offence caused during the unscripted item on the programme. We can assure you that there was no racism intended by Steve Claridge.

As an ex-professional footballer, Steve is quite clear that Kebe’s actions are contrary to what is acceptable in the football league. Kebe’s actions may be more acceptable elsewhere in the world; certainly baiting an opposition player/team is viewed differently from country to country. Culturally there are differences in what is considered more or less acceptable in terms of on-field behaviour. It’s very much part of the variety and joy of world football and Steve found that Jimmy Kebe might have been unaware exactly how such baiting is viewed here as a non-English player. The amount of subsequent air-time devoted to the incident indicates just how fervently the public feels about Kebe’s actions.

Nevertheless, we’re guided by the feedback we receive and I can assure you I've registered your complaint on our audience log. This is a daily report of audience feedback that's made available to all BBC staff, including members of the BBC Executive Board, channel controllers and other senior managers.

The audience logs are seen as important documents that can help shape decisions about future programming and content.

Thanks for taking the time to contact us.

Kind Regards Mark Roberts BBC Complaints http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

NB This is sent from an outgoing account only which is not monitored. You cannot reply to this email address but if necessary please contact us via our webform quoting any case number we provided.

Perhaps we should compain about Collison's ABH on Kebe, that if it had occurred on a saturday night in a town centre centre somewhere, the Bill would have used CCTV to prosecute. As it took place on a football field though, it's OK.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 18 Dec 2011 17:41

Yahoops Dear Mr Yahoops

Reference CAS-1189179-MX3T5Z

Thank you for contacting us about 'The Football League Show' broadcast on BBC One on 10 December.

We’re sorry for any offence caused during the unscripted item on the programme. We can assure you that there was no approval of violence intended by Steve Claridge, nor were the comments intended as racist by him

Steve Claridge made it clear verbally that he couldn’t condone Jack Collison’s actions. In many ways, Steve’s comments mirrored those of the West Ham manager Sam Allardyce, that what Collison did was wrong, however there was a feeling that Kebe’s baiting of the opposition was highly inappropriate, unsportsmanlike and would do nothing but add an extra element of frustration to the bad day that West Ham were already having. As a former professional footballer, Steve has seen this happen before with similar results and while not condoning Collison’s kick in any way, the action itself did not surprise him.

In addition, Steve is quite clear that Kebe’s actions are contrary to what is acceptable in the football league. Kebe’s actions may be more acceptable elsewhere in the world; certainly baiting an opposition player/team is viewed differently from country to country. Culturally there are differences in what is considered more or less acceptable in terms of on-field behaviour. It’s very much part of the variety and joy of world football and Steve found that Jimmy Kebe might have been unaware exactly how such baiting is viewed here as a non-English player. The amount of subsequent air-time devoted to the incident indicates just how fervently the public feels about Kebe’s actions.

Nevertheless, we’re guided by the feedback we receive and I can assure you I've registered your complaint on our audience log. This is a daily report of audience feedback that's made available to all BBC staff, including members of the BBC Executive Board, channel controllers and other senior managers.

The audience logs are seen as important documents that can help shape decisions about future programming and content.
Thanks for taking the time to contact us.
Kind Regards
Mark Roberts
BBC Complaints
http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints
NB This is sent from an outgoing account only which is not monitored. You cannot reply to this email address but if necessary please contact us via our webform quoting any case number we provided.

Dear Mr Roberts

Might I suggest that you send Steve Claridge on an English course. Then he might learn to express himself more clearly. If he wished to avoid being perceived as racist, then rather than stating that Kebe isn't English, he could have explained that as a relative newcomer to the English Leagues, Kebe may not have realised that his actions were contrary to what is acceptable in the football league. It is familiarity with the culture of our game, rather than the player's nationality that should have been the focus here. Afterall, there are plenty of non-English players who are very familiar with the culture of the game and who would not have behaved in a similar manner. Equally, if Claridge cared to give the matter some thought, he could probably identify some English players who have baited opponents in the past.

There is still significant racism in football and Claridge's unnecessary focus on Kebe's nationality will no doubt have been picked up with glee by that element of football's following.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 18 Dec 2011 17:50

Racism =/= xenophobia

By the way:

strap, quoting the BBC's letter The amount of subsequent air-time devoted to the incident indicates just how fervently the public feels about Kebe’s actions.

By the "public", do they mean just the Wet Sham fans?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Dec 2011 17:55

Seriously, getting the same reply does not mean no thought went into it. The reverse in fact is true. It means someone thought carefully about it and made sure that one template was approved and used to ensure consistency of response.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 Dec 2011 18:00

The only glee I detect is from the wakners on here who just love to sniff out ANYTHING that could be remotely construed as racist. It matters not a jot how tenuous or completely intended or indeed non-existant it might have been.

They love nothing better than to shout "RACIST".
Last edited by Royal Rother on 18 Dec 2011 18:57, edited 1 time in total.

DandyRoyal

by DandyRoyal » 18 Dec 2011 18:15

Ian Royal Seriously, getting the same reply does not mean no thought went into it. The reverse in fact is true. It means someone thought carefully about it and made sure that one template was approved and used to ensure consistency of response.

I agree. I may be wrong but you speak as if you have worked in an office/admin/high end customer services environment for a long time, this is how it works, this is standard practice and just because one may disagree with it, it is a more than acceptable response.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Dec 2011 19:37

DandyRoyal
Ian Royal Seriously, getting the same reply does not mean no thought went into it. The reverse in fact is true. It means someone thought carefully about it and made sure that one template was approved and used to ensure consistency of response.

I agree. I may be wrong but you speak as if you have worked in an office/admin/high end customer services environment for a long time, this is how it works, this is standard practice and just because one may disagree with it, it is a more than acceptable response.

I work for a consumer watchdog and have been dealing with complaints for 5 years. I'm very good at it.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 18 Dec 2011 19:54

Ian Royal I work for a consumer watchdog and have been dealing with complaints for 5 years. I'm very good at it.

COUGH. Splutter.

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 19 Dec 2011 00:32

I get pretty annoyed about all the bollox spouted by Claridge and his ilk. They talk about players showing respect for the opposition as if it is the norm. Perhaps they should look a little more carefully at players who feign injury to get opponents booked or sent off or to otherwise gain an unfair advantage. That happens all the time and in my opinion is far more disrespectful to the opposing side than Jimmy's bit of fun. Everybody around me thought it was one of the funniest things we have seen at football in ages.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 19 Dec 2011 01:23

Royal Rother The only glee I detect is from the wakners on here who just love to sniff out ANYTHING that could be remotely construed as racist. It matters not a jot how tenuous or completely intended or indeed non-existant it might have been.

They love nothing better than to shout "RACIST".

Blame the society we live in, 30,000 odd complaints to what was CLEAR trolling from jeremy clarkson says it all.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 19 Dec 2011 07:25

JC I get pretty annoyed about all the bollox spouted by Claridge and his ilk. They talk about players showing respect for the opposition as if it is the norm. Perhaps they should look a little more carefully at players who feign injury to get opponents booked or sent off or to otherwise gain an unfair advantage. That happens all the time and in my opinion is far more disrespectful to the opposing side than Jimmy's bit of fun. Everybody around me thought it was one of the funniest things we have seen at football in ages.

Good post.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 19 Dec 2011 07:41

One thing that strikes me about the incident is that when Jimmy originally receives the ball, there are 3 West Ham players closer to him than Collison yet in the intervening 5 seconds none close him down. Collison also starts making a move towards him before he pulls his socks up.

I'm inclined to believe that the challenge had more to do with frustration at the complete lack of effort by his team mates than anything Jimmy did. It looks like a ill judged rash challenge by a frustrated player. If it was all about the sock pulling, why didn't he immediately clobber him and if it so incensed the other West Ham players, why did none of them show any sort of reaction until after the foul? Nolan isn't the sort of player to shy away from getting on someone's face. He was the closest to Kebe yet shows no reaction to the sock pulling.

IMO the whole sock debate is a smokescreen to deflect attention away from a pretty shoddy and ill disciplined performance and the media lap it up because it's West Ham. You'd be surprised exactly how many football correspondents in the media support West Ham, no surprise then that the press reaction mirrors that of their supporters.

rfc2001

by rfc2001 » 19 Dec 2011 08:23

Always_Royal It seems like more WetSham fans read the Chronic than us lot. Their comments show what a mindless bunch of morons their fans are, full of their usual arrogance.

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport ... or-tackle/

There fans are actually scum; undoubtedly the worst fans in English football and probably Europe (Bar Napoli). They should F*ck off back to their Sh*tty little council houses!

The fact they think they are a big club is just laughable. Ill give them the accolade for the biggest YOYO club though!!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 19 Dec 2011 09:04

Gordons Cumming
JC I get pretty annoyed about all the bollox spouted by Claridge and his ilk. They talk about players showing respect for the opposition as if it is the norm. Perhaps they should look a little more carefully at players who feign injury to get opponents booked or sent off or to otherwise gain an unfair advantage. That happens all the time and in my opinion is far more disrespectful to the opposing side than Jimmy's bit of fun. Everybody around me thought it was one of the funniest things we have seen at football in ages.

Good post.

Yep, I like that too.

As I said last week, I really don't get this whole disrespect thing. It's a load of old bollocks. If you've got the time on the ball, or indeed the skill to pull it off, you can do what the hell you like with it. It could be argued that Barcelona take the piss mercilessly out of inferior opposition, passing it around them, making them run backwards and forwards chasing shadows, yet that is the beautiful game at its best.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 19 Dec 2011 10:18

RR & GC, a few points on these latest comments.

1) cheating to gain an advantage over the opposition is different to just taking the piss. They all do what they think they can get away with in order to win a game but basically it's felt that needless piss taking is uncalled for and will quite often be dealt with on the pitch

2) players do get clobbered and berated for diving. It's typical that in this black and white analysis that people seem to be dismissing other forms of cheating and disrespect just because they aren't always as obviously dealt with

3) why didn't the other West Ham players react in the same way? Because as humans we all react differently at different times perhaps? Perhaps they didn't see it in the same way as Collison did, or perhaps they weren't just as bothered.

4) interesting to hear both Gooding and Williams educating Dellor on the 'unwritten rule' during Saturday's coverage of the game. Perhaps you guys and RL need to get in touch with them and tell them their making it up!

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 19 Dec 2011 10:39

In response to the BBC's stupid mockery of an apology, I hope Steve Claridge, while dressed in drag for a Xmas party, get’s set upon and nonconsensually mounted by a masked and horny stalker on his way home.

Hey, I’m not condoning the rape of Steve Claridge here, but short skirt? Low cut top? The reaction would not 'surprise' me.
Last edited by Extended-Phenotype on 19 Dec 2011 11:12, edited 1 time in total.

Yahoops

by Yahoops » 19 Dec 2011 11:04

Repeat after me. There is no evidence Kebe was taking the piss. He only pulled his socks up! It's more likely that the incident was caused by West Ham's frustration after going down to 10 men. The West Ham thug is the only wrong doer and you can line up as many ex-professionals as you like, it does not make any of them right.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 19 Dec 2011 11:10

You don't pull your socks up when you're in possession of the ball though (unless you're taking the piss).

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 19 Dec 2011 11:33

Hoop Blah interesting to hear both Gooding and Williams educating Dellor on the 'unwritten rule' during Saturday's coverage of the game. Perhaps you guys and RL need to get in touch with them and tell them their making it up!

I know the unwritten rule is there. I completely acknowledge that and always have done. I just think it's a load of old bollocks.

370 posts