Wigan (H) Match Thread - Sponsored by a real 6 pointer

379 posts
jellytot

Re: Wigan (H) Match Thread - Sponsored by a real 6 pointer

by jellytot » 23 Feb 2013 17:00

Yep hope we can go down with dignity now. Target is to get 30 points. With our poor squad that will not be bad.

Will BM stay on after we are relegated? What will we do in the summer? Will we go for it and try to return to the PM or go for the traditional Reading way of doing little.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 23 Feb 2013 17:00

the worst part of us going down by far is that we will probably have to sell alfie.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 23 Feb 2013 17:00

Big Ern
jellytot WE just deserve to go down. If you lose to Wigan at home then you get what you deserve.

When you let a relegation do the double over you, then we deserves to go down.

For persisting with a manager that has the tactical know how of a small turnip, we deserve to go down

For spending peanuts in both transfer windows when it was blatantly obvious we needed quality, we deserve to go down.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 23 Feb 2013 17:01

I for the life of me can't figure out why Pearce wasn't playing. In a very real sense he is our emotional leader on the pitch and our best defender...our form improved when Brian brought him back in to the starting 11. Morrison will be a fine player but he was responsible for 2 of the goals today.

We had no spark today. We had exactly zero shots on target. You aren't going to win many games with that stat. We were just incredibly flat in what could be characterized as a must win game. Not a single shot on target is just very poor...can't candy coat it.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 23 Feb 2013 17:03

Libertine I for the life of me can't figure out why Pearce wasn't playing. In a very real sense he is our emotional leader on the pitch and our best defender...our form improved when Brian brought him back in to the starting 11. Morrison will be a fine player but he was responsible for 2 of the goals today.

We had no spark today. We had exactly zero shots on target. You aren't going to win many games with that stat. We were just incredibly flat in what could be characterized as a must win game. Not a single shot on target is just very poor...can't candy coat it.

this. cant say much more. we really needed to bring in an AM in the janurary window, we failed to do so and now it is proving to be a disaster.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 23 Feb 2013 17:06

I think this was a result waiting to happen even during our recent run we have been forunate not to have conceded a hatfull before our come backs, we as a side are nowhere near Premiership standard, most on here saw that at the start of the season and it is proving to be so, not enough quality proven premiership players in the squad, the type of player that McDermott had said get was going to get in, all in all, and waiting to be slammed by those on here that are happy with our position, we as fans have been let down, such the promise from the chairman that he would only sell to someone who could take us forward, instead we are heading back to where Anton found us.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 23 Feb 2013 17:11

Libertine I for the life of me can't figure out why Pearce wasn't playing. In a very real sense he is our emotional leader on the pitch and our best defender...our form improved when Brian brought him back in to the starting 11. Morrison will be a fine player but he was responsible for 2 of the goals today.

Unless he was injured it just shows what a liability BM is at this level.

If we finish second from bottom, we would have done well now.

Even before the sending off it was painful how much Wigan, with 1 win in 10 games, we're superior to us.

I've been slated for persisting with my views on Brian and the Board, however there is no hiding now, and despite a few good results of late, for 20 of the games we've played this year we have been terrible and clueless. Even the games we won, we were outplayed in most of them.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 23 Feb 2013 17:11

howser I think this was a result waiting to happen even during our recent run we have been forunate not to have conceded a hatfull before our come backs, we as a side are nowhere near Premiership standard, most on here saw that at the start of the season and it is proving to be so, not enough quality proven premiership players in the squad, the type of player that McDermott had said get was going to get in, all in all, and waiting to be slammed by those on here that are happy with our position, we as fans have been let down, such the promise from the chairman that he would only sell to someone who could take us forward, instead we are heading back to where Anton found us.

i dont think its anton's fault. he has been putting a lot of money into our club, more than SJM ever would be able to do. we bought a lot of players who could be considered prem quality, pog and guthrie were to big ones. we had a lot of unfortunate events ie: everything that has happened with guthrie, pogs lack of form, various injuries to our main players, overall lack of form, harsh scheduling, harsh loses, and an overall demoralizing season. i dont think we can blame anton cause he is trying his best to splash cash for players. but he cant do much when we are still little old reading and players dont want to risk their careers coming here when we will most likely end up back in the championship.

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 23 Feb 2013 17:12

The belief that we could rescue our season that had slowly grown in me since xmas has taken a severe battering today, but I won't be giving up yet.

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 23 Feb 2013 17:16

At some points we made Wigan look like Barcelona

Kelly was the only plus point today, Pog is no loss really

And why two strikers against ManU and one today??!!

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 23 Feb 2013 17:17

muddyfeet
Kelly was the only plus point today, Pog is no loss really

And Feds? He keep it from being a cricket score.

Unphased Royal

by Unphased Royal » 23 Feb 2013 17:18

Tragic result today. But we are still only one point away from safety and I think we needed this wake up call today. Lets mop up those tears, get a grip and carry on.

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 23 Feb 2013 17:18

True one great save

Didn't see if he was at fault for any of the goals?

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 23 Feb 2013 17:19

Big Ern
jellytot WE just deserve to go down. If you lose to Wigan at home then you get what you deserve.

When you let a relegation rival do the double over you, then we deserves to go down.

For persisting with a manager that has the tactical know how of a small turnip, we deserve to go down

For spending peanuts in both transfer windows when it was blatantly obvious we needed quality, we deserve to go down.

No, you fools. If you get fewer points than 17 other teams, then you deserve to go down.

We're 1 point off safety.

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 23 Feb 2013 17:19

USA_Loyal_Royal
howser I think this was a result waiting to happen even during our recent run we have been forunate not to have conceded a hatfull before our come backs, we as a side are nowhere near Premiership standard, most on here saw that at the start of the season and it is proving to be so, not enough quality proven premiership players in the squad, the type of player that McDermott had said get was going to get in, all in all, and waiting to be slammed by those on here that are happy with our position, we as fans have been let down, such the promise from the chairman that he would only sell to someone who could take us forward, instead we are heading back to where Anton found us.

i dont think its anton's fault. he has been putting a lot of money into our club, more than SJM ever would be able to do. we bought a lot of players who could be considered prem quality, pog and guthrie were to big ones. we had a lot of unfortunate events ie: everything that has happened with guthrie, pogs lack of form, various injuries to our main players, overall lack of form, harsh scheduling, harsh loses, and an overall demoralizing season. i dont think we can blame anton cause he is trying his best to splash cash for players. but he cant do much when we are still little old reading and players dont want to risk their careers coming here when we will most likely end up back in the championship.

I agree. Anton has always given McD money when he's wanted it. This solely down to McD. Looking back over the season so far it seems to be McD's decision to give the team who got us promoted a chance and that backfired. As well as strange team selections and tactics. Come January we invested and yet again another bizarre team selection has cost us imo. We now have to revert back to 4-4-2 (the thought of Hunt playing again makes me sick) and have some difficult games ahead. If we go down. I hope Anton has the balls to take us forward by getting someone else at the helm.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Feb 2013 17:24

Oh Dear, this doesn't look very good.

I'm not surprised we lost - we've moved into Wigan time - but I thought we'd put up more of a fight. Pearce is the key to what little defensive organisation we have and Karacan has spent most of the time he's played this season running round in circles ball chasing and leaving big holes for the opposition to play through us. He's also been consistently poor at tracking runners from midfield for, well, always.

I'd be interested to see how ALF could do up front on his own, but we'd have to introduce our more cultured players to the side. Like Shorey and Guthrie to have a chance. I dread to think what we'll look like with Hunt on his own or back to 4-4-2 with Hunt and ALF. And no other strikers.

McDermott had started to really sort things out, but perhaps it was just a case of some complacent opposition and lucky late fight backs that we were never going to be able to sustain. I like the man, but I do seriously worry about whether he's in anyway good enough at this level.

We're not dead yet, but that was a big old nail and if we do go down, he's going to have to start the season well for the first time ever if he wants to keep his job beyond November / December.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 23 Feb 2013 17:25

Plymouth_Royal
USA_Loyal_Royal

I agree. Anton has always given McD money when he's wanted it. This solely down to McD. Looking back over the season so far it seems to be McD's decision to give the team who got us promoted a chance and that backfired. As well as strange team selections and tactics. Come January we invested and yet again another bizarre team selection has cost us imo. We now have to revert back to 4-4-2 (the thought of Hunt playing again makes me sick) and have some difficult games ahead. If we go down. I hope Anton has the balls to take us forward by getting someone else at the helm.

mcdermott has proven that he is quality enough to take us to the championship and win. i think mcdermott will learn a lot from this little lesson and if we do drop to the championship next season he will buy the players we need to make our squad good enough for the prem. he wont rely on loyalty to players who overachieved the season prior and he will do what is required to get results. when hunt came on today i actually got physically sick, my stomach started hurting and i felt like throwing up. mcdermott HAS to make some quality signings this summer weather it be in the prem or championship. i have a bad feeling that if we go down we will lose a lot of key players from top clubs. (feds, alfie, pearcey, morrison, kebe, pog, etc).

GSY-Royal

by GSY-Royal » 23 Feb 2013 17:26

Pog may be "no loss" right now but wait until Nick Blackman starts the next three games for us in his role and then reevaluate...

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 23 Feb 2013 17:28

GSY-Royal Pog may be "no loss" right now but wait until Nick Blackman starts the next three games for us in his role and then reevaluate...

oh god i shudder to think.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 23 Feb 2013 17:30

I can hear the quotes now, "that wasn't us today", oxf*rd off back to the beach in Dubai.

Shambles.

379 posts