847 posts
Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Adkins - Pros and Cons

by Woodcote Royal » 20 Oct 2014 17:17

Sanguine
Woodcote Royal
sandman We just want to see improvement, some sign that our manager and coaches know how to get our team into a cohesive unit that can at least get the basics right. Unfortunately since they arrived 20 months ago they have not shown anything to suggest any of that is happening

You be "carefull" not to "troll" those who are forming an orderly queue to have Nige's babies (under a park bench in Woodley possibly)

How's that list of replacements going? And what will the new guy do differently?

I gave you a VERY large hint as to where to look, now run along and get cracking........................Hey, you might learn something (but don't hold you breath)

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 20 Oct 2014 17:19

So you'll only name Eddie Howe then. Who wouldn't join us.

And what would the new manager change? And how?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 20 Oct 2014 17:21

I didn't "name" anyone.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 20 Oct 2014 17:31

Sanguine
wingnut Hmm. I missed the a Wolves game but from what I remember of the Millwall game we were extremely fortunate to win that with many of the same mistakes made by the defence yet again.

I've no idea what Adkins's first choice central midfield would be, and, I suspect, neither does he. I would also guess that he was indifferent, at best, to Alf going, given that he was hardly a regular starter for him.
I'll give you Morrison but, given his form both before and after his move to Cardiff I doubt that he would've made much difference.

You don't suspect he'd play Williams, Karacan and McCleary given a chance? Come on now.

The point re Millwall was that we played decent football. The signs are there. Yes, the defence lapsed, it's a bit of a problem, but not reason enough to sack Adkins.

Given that there can't have been many games last season that he had all of those players fit and that we've now got Norwood and Mackie, I don't think it's a given that all three would play - if there ever is a time when all of them are available.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 20 Oct 2014 18:08

Woodcote Royal I didn't "name" anyone.

Quite.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 20 Oct 2014 18:10

wingnut
Sanguine
wingnut Hmm. I missed the a Wolves game but from what I remember of the Millwall game we were extremely fortunate to win that with many of the same mistakes made by the defence yet again.

I've no idea what Adkins's first choice central midfield would be, and, I suspect, neither does he. I would also guess that he was indifferent, at best, to Alf going, given that he was hardly a regular starter for him.
I'll give you Morrison but, given his form both before and after his move to Cardiff I doubt that he would've made much difference.

You don't suspect he'd play Williams, Karacan and McCleary given a chance? Come on now.

The point re Millwall was that we played decent football. The signs are there. Yes, the defence lapsed, it's a bit of a problem, but not reason enough to sack Adkins.

Given that there can't have been many games last season that he had all of those players fit and that we've now got Norwood and Mackie, I don't think it's a given that all three would play - if there ever is a time when all of them are available.

I think Williams is the only doubt. Mackie has been unspectacular, GMac's place is waiting for him. We are crying out for an in form Jem in the middle.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 20 Oct 2014 18:11

And as I said elsewhere, I'd be interested in our defensive stats with Guthrie in the side. He has his faults but he was an option for our defenders who rarely look comfortable on the ball.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 20 Oct 2014 18:18

Sanguine

Quite.

Glad we are finally on the same page :|

As and when a vacancy exists, let's see who ends on the short list for interviews...........................this will not be as sparsely populated as Adkin's deluded fan club would like to believe.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 20 Oct 2014 18:22

Woodcote Royal
Sanguine

Quite.

Glad we are finally on the same page :|

As and when a vacancy exists, let's see who ends on the short list for interviews...........................this will not be as sparsely populated as Adkin's deluded fan club would like to believe.

Given you are so sure of that why not suggest some names?
And what will a new manager do differently?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 20 Oct 2014 20:29

It's absolutely pointless me or anyone else suggesting names while no vacancy exists. You can say Howe wouldn't be interested but you haven't a clue whether that would be the case or not. When the day arrives (and tomorrow would be fine by me) let's see.

Believe me, I won't forget.

If you really can't wait, I refer you to my original observation in that I would happily swap Adkins for most other Championship managers

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 20 Oct 2014 20:52

Lee Clark?...oops sorry

C'mon Woody, we are hardly the love-children of NA, but he has been dealt a-hand-like-a-foot over the past twelve months.

Never since the Hurley era or the Maxwell takeover thing can i remember such endangered times at this club. Give the guy a bit of latitude for a little longer before donning the black cap. We should be good enough to survive the Championship with NA at the helm in the wake of the Zingarvich's bullsh1t.

Next season and a lack of progress under the bloke, I'll be happy to jump aboard your ship of misery

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 20 Oct 2014 22:28

Have to agree about Nige's poor luck with injuries and ownership issues. I mean only this weekend he had to cobble together a matchday squad with just the 10 internationals. Poor fella, I bet the rest of the Championship feel really bad for him.

Forest Gump

by Forest Gump » 20 Oct 2014 22:55

Possibly just two more games: unless he gets at least three points out of those fixtures. Certainly a loss tomorrow night and failure to beat Blackpool should see him step down.
I saw mention somewhere in this thread of Eddie how're who I believe is a bright young manager and would continued the passing style with maybe a bit more engagement with the team.

under the tin

by under the tin » 21 Oct 2014 08:33

sandman Have to agree about Nige's poor luck with injuries and ownership issues. I mean only this weekend he had to cobble together a matchday squad with just the 10 internationals. Poor fella, I bet the rest of the Championship feel really bad for him.

:? :? Unsure as to how seriously you mean that.
Come on now. I remember watching our Canadian international Bob Lenarduzzi back in the seventies.
He certainly represented his country, but that did not equate to him being that good as a player. If anything, over the years, the currency of the "international" tag has been further and further devalued by the expansion of world football, and the formulation of new independent states. The Andorra side would struggle in League 2 here.

Back to topic, I find it puzzling that those who want Adkins out right now accuse those who see little point in that course of action right now of having "an agenda". Seems to me that if the cap fits......

From my perspective, Adkins has been sold a pup with this job so far. He has inherited a wageroll of overrated expensive players who are seeing out fat contracts. He was obviously promised the moon on a stick by AZ, who then delivered nothing.
He then had to seek support from JM, who had patently run out of money. No help there. To keep the business afloat, and to honour the contracts of wasters, he has watched the departure of some of our most saleable assets.
On the pitch, he has had to contend with an horrific injury list, where he lost the engine room of the team, Jem, and his most effective forward, GMac .
New owners have been parachuted in from afar, but it is noteworthy that they were at pains to stress that they wanted to operate the club on the same business model that JM always espoused. Their actions, given the lack of experienced central defensive cover, have matched those words. It is plain to me that until some of the expensive deadwood is got rid of, the player budget is all gone.
I think there is a chance of seeing Adkins departure, but it might well be him getting pissed off, and walking away.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 21 Oct 2014 08:46

Woodcote Royal It's absolutely pointless me or anyone else suggesting names while no vacancy exists. You can say Howe wouldn't be interested but you haven't a clue whether that would be the case or not. When the day arrives (and tomorrow would be fine by me) let's see.

If you really can't wait, I refer you to my original observation in that I would happily swap Adkins for most other Championship managers

Can you see another championship manager, especially those above us in the league, coming to us? Who do you think we could get if the vacancy came up?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Oct 2014 09:54

Extended-Phenotype
Woodcote Royal It's absolutely pointless me or anyone else suggesting names while no vacancy exists. You can say Howe wouldn't be interested but you haven't a clue whether that would be the case or not. When the day arrives (and tomorrow would be fine by me) let's see.

Can you see another championship manager, especially those above us in the league, coming to us? Who do you think we could get if the vacancy came up?

How about MaLOLky Mackay? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=121618

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 21 Oct 2014 11:34

sandman Have to agree about Nige's poor luck with injuries and ownership issues. I mean only this weekend he had to cobble together a matchday squad with just the 10 internationals. Poor fella, I bet the rest of the Championship feel really bad for him.

:|

some of those are welsh tbf

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Oct 2014 12:28

The only reason to change manager is because a vocal minority have been against adkins from the start and he's therefore a devisive figure. Happily the majority still back him as you can judge by getting his sung every match.

His tenure is not yet a success and he may end up needing the sack. But that's at least 3 months away and more realistically 9/10.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 21 Oct 2014 12:39

Did we take on a new manager at the start of this season also called nigel Adkins and looking a lot like the original Nigel Adkins? Only i'm confused by the pro-Adkins lobby's constant suggestion that he needs time as if he's only been in the job a couple of months

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

Re: Nigel Adkins

by Platypuss » 21 Oct 2014 12:51

Woodcote Royal Someone, whatever the cost, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get rid off this twat :evil:

Now fcuk off.

847 posts